Court of the Fallen
wonder what's next - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: wonder what's next (/showthread.php?tid=6887)

Pages: 1 2 3

wonder what's next - Ronin - 03-13-2022

It's strange, how things seem to stay the same even on the heels of large changes. For instance, becoming Commander of the Storm hasn't made the apartment above the alchemy shop Mateo's greenhouse any less dusty, and it hasn't cleared the rubble from the streets or rubbed a balm on people's hurts. And it hasn't made Ronin's bruises fade, either. So it's very gingerly indeed that the Huntsman spends the afternoon cleaning up the new living space, breathing it back to life and stocking the cupboards.

At least then, when the sun sets and he wraps himself in blankets and flumps onto the couch, it will be to a frosted glass of whiskey. [say]"Gods, I feel as though a horse has trampled all over me,"[/say] he grumbles into the couch cushions. [say]"Who made it a rule that you ache more a couple of days after you get hit?"[/say]

RE: wonder what's next - Remi - 03-13-2022

For seasons and seasons their once-home had been used mostly for impromptu sex more than anything else. To see life breathed into it once again made Remi's bones itch in ways he couldn't quite articulate, and though he pottered about just the same as Ronin—dusting, moving, adjusting—it was with slightly less snark than there might normally have been. Then again that could easily have been because the Huntsman had nearly died.

Holding a frosted mug of his own containing gin instead of whiskey, Remi hovers above Ronin for a moment that he might tuck the other man snuggly into the couch before deciding to sit on the floor instead. [say]"Would you prefer that things just start to hurt immediately?"[/say] Remi wonders with a crooked smile, glancing at Ronin over his shoulder before leaning his back comfortably against the couch. [say]'Toughen up, would you? You're the Commander now."[/say] Tasting the word on his tongue for a moment the alchemist seemed to decide he liked the taste of his gin better, and helped himself to a healthy sip of that instead.

RE: wonder what's next - Ronin - 03-13-2022

[say]"I mean, sort of?"[/say] Ronin pouts, though it melts away as he's tucked so snugly into the couch. [say]"At least that way I'm more likely not to feel it because of the adrenaline."[/say] Working an arm free of the blankets, Ronin lets it snake over Remi's shoulder and across his chest, half hugging the alchemist even if it's more into the couch than against him. [say]"Listen,"[/say] he says, [say]"if I can't be a weakling with my husband, then where else can I be one?"[/say]

Smiling softly and letting himself drink in the new state of the apartment, eventually he sighs and lets his fingers draw gentle patterns over the other man's chest. [say]"So,"[/say] he says quietly, [say]"are we going to be hosting any secret leader meetings in the future? Because I believe there's quite a lot I could offer the Greatwood."[/say]

[say]"You never can."[/say] Remi purrs, letting his head slip back so that it's supported partially by Ronin's arm and partially by the blanked. [say]'You can never show weakness again. Not even once."[/say] He means it in jest, and even if his dry tone doesn't suggest it, his crooked smile should.

Closing his eyes, Remi focuses on the feeling of Ronin's fingers, the dull vibration of his husband's voice, and the pulse of his heartbeat on his left hand. [say]"Secret hmm?"[/say] He hums. [say]"Right now it seems like there is a lot more the Greatwood could offer Stormbreak."[/say] Playing politician with Ronin was either going to be much easier than when he'd had to do it with the others, or much, much harder. [say]"Or am I reading things wrong?"[/say] Cracking his eyes open he casts a look at Ronin, though it's nearly upside and not at all comfortable, so quickly Remi lets himself sag back into the couch.

[say]"Not even once? Well, that won't do at all. I give it all up, and we can go and live together as hermits in the Wilds,"[/say] Ronin decides, as if it really is going to be as easy all that, and he smiles at the warmth that radiates out from the other man against his arm and into the couch.

Playing politics, regrettably, is something that Ronin is used to, but he'd much prefer to use his time with Remi on better things, not that it helps. [say]"Is that so? Go on then, Guardian. What have you got to offer us?"[/say] he wants to know, wriggling enough that he can steal a kiss from Remi's cheek.

[say]"We've got a lot of stone and rubble to trade,"[/say] he says. [say]"We just came into it, you see. I've heard it makes good building material."[/say]

[say]'Finally you are on board.'[/say] Remi grumbles companionably. [say]"I have been suggesting precisely that for years now."[/say] The days when something like that was possible were long behind the both of them now, and Remi honestly couldn't tell if either of them were even properly aware of his how rooted in the chaos of Caido they really were.

Unable to help himself, Remi laughs warmly at that. Arching his back that he might wriggle his shoulders just far enough onto the couch to receive a few more kisses, Remi smiles. [say]"Alright, that is a very good point."[/say] He concedes. [say]"But..."[/say] So saying, Remi's smile falls away slightly. [say]"The Greatwood has intentionally not formed alliances with the other lands, if only because I have no interest in being called upon to step in over trade disputes or other silly things like that."[/say] He says, sinking back down to the floor.

[say]"We do not need any more protection despite having just lost our Dragon. An alliance with Stormbreak might make us even more of a target given how close we are to the Grounds, if anything."[/say]

[say]"Clearly it only took a second stint at leadership to convince me. At least I am not called King, this time,"[/say] Ronin says. He dutifully delivers more kisses as Remi shifts to receive them, and it doesn't matter if the Huntsman nearly slides off the couch in his attempts to give affection. It's worth it, if you ask him.

[say]"Mm, that's right. You have been more neutral than Halo, who has been preaching its neutrality for years now whilst still somehow not achieving it,"[/say] he concedes, flumping back into the couch cushions and letting his fingers play through the tips of his husband's curls.

What, then, can Stormbreak offer the Greatwood? [say]"I'll make you breakfast in bed?"[/say] he offers with a crooked smile. [say]"And I imagine I could throw in a few other goodies, too."[/say]

[say]'Second? Is that really all?'[/say] Gods but it seems like the pair of them have done so much more than just two tours each. Snorting at that, Remi raises his eyebrows and shakes his head. [say]"If not neutral, at least our position is quite clear. Ascended cannot come in, ra-ra Ludo and all that. But the Greatwood does not interfere. I might, but the forest doesn't."[/say] Tilting his head back that there might be more curls on offer for Ronin's wandering fingers, Remi again closes his eyes.

Through the bond Ronin will no doubt feel a bright and hot flare of annoyance that dulls dramatically as Remi sighs. [say]"This is new for both of us."[/say] He says carefully. [say]"And...I think it would be best if we did not mix leadership with...well, us, unless we are being explicit about it."[/say] Of course he had known Ronin was only kidding, but surely there would come a day when one of them asked something of the other in a leadership capacity that hinged purely on their own interests, and it wasn't that the alchemist was offended at the prospect of it, moreso that he wanted to be clear about it when it was happening. [say]"Does that make sense?"[/say]

[say]"I beg to differ, having lived in the Greatwood. The forest interferes in every little which way it can, but only when you're inside the forest,"[/say] Ronin says, his tone light and amused. [say]"Which, of course, is understandable."[/say] He knows what the other man really means, of course, letting his fingers thread more deeply through Remi's hair, savouring the moment of simplicity for what it is.

His eyes have slipped closed as they speak, but they blink back open as he feels the hot pulse of annoyance-that-isn't through the Attuned bond. Already Ronin is half sitting up, worried that has misstepped, but his shoulders relax somewhat as he hears Remi out. [say]"Oh gods, yes,"[/say] he agrees readily, his smile soft and almost relieved. [say]"Sorry, I didn't mean to seem like I was muddying the waters. Maybe we can keep the apartment and the houseboat for us, and our respective offices for leadership."[/say]

Pausing for a moment, Ronin glances away almost guiltily. [say]"There is something I'd like to give you, though. Not from a leadership standpoint, but you could use it that way, I suppose."[/say] He wriggles a bit beneath the blankets before producing a Capitol Compass, offering it out to Remi. [say]"I never want you to feel like you can't get to me, if you need to. And vice versa."[/say]

RE: wonder what's next - Remi - 03-14-2022

Shrugging his shoulders feeling both guilty and relieved, Remi pushes his shoulders down from where they've bunched up by his ears. [say]"I am okay talking wherever we are, but at least until we find the rhythm of this, being clear is probably best"[/say] He suggests, annoyed with himself already for making things more difficult than perhaps they needed to be. Maybe jokes were precisely what would smooth all this over, and here he was firmly being a grouch about it.

Frowning curiously, Remi sits straighter and twists to face Ronin (this results in a wonderful crackle from his spine that has the alchemist relaxing considerably). [say]"Oh."[/say] Surprised, he reaches out for the small compass, turning it over carefully in his hands as if expecting it to bite him at any moment. [say]"Was this one Finn's...?"[/say] He asks before he can help himself.

RE: wonder what's next - Ronin - 03-14-2022

[say]"Agreed. There will be a lot to get through at the beginning, too. There are a few things I want to change with Stormbreak..."[/say] And previously he'd have expected the people to almost riot at the thought of those changes, but now? Now he's not so sure - and besides which, if they do have a problem, they know just where to find him if they want to settle it man to man. [say]"Would you like to talk politics this evening, then? Or shall we leave that for the morning?"[/say]

Regardless of Remi's response, their conversation is momentarily uprooted by the compass, and Ronin smiles, almost having guessed what his question would be. [say]"Maybe,"[/say] he says smoothly. [say]"His and mine look identical, so I mixed them up in my coat pocket until I couldn't tell which was which. That is just as likely to be my compass as it is Finn's."[/say] And that could either make it better or worse, for the Lullaby.

[say]'Oh?'[/say] Raising his eyebrows and letting his head loll playfully to the side, Remi nods for Ronin to expand. [say]"Go on then. Grand statues aside, what other changes are you thinking of?"[/say] The morning Remi absolutely wanted to reserve for sleeping and eating. Better they get through what they could before collapsing into bed, where the alchemist had no doubt they could smooth over any tensions that were to arise before then.

It makes it better. Much, much better. Turning it over in his hands again, Remi's cheeks dimple as he smooths the front with his thumb. [say]"Yours."[/say] He concludes confidently, raising his eyes from the compass to Ronin, before tucking the object away in a pocket.

Deciding that if this was going to become a long and boring political chat that he would rather be much more comfortable, Remi heaves himself to his knees with a prolonged groan. Stripping off his shirt, it's with inarticulate grumbles the he indicates he'd not only like space on the coach, but to be covered with the blanket as well.

RE: wonder what's next - Ronin - 03-14-2022

[say]"You might be right,"[/say] Ronin agrees about his compass, smiling to the alchemist and tucking an errant curl behind his ear, before the other man is suddenly on his feet. Shifting about and freeing himself from his blanket cocoon so Remi can join him, the Huntsman spends a few moments wriggling about and tangling his limbs with his husband's until they are both comfortable.

[say]"Well,"[/say] he says, strumming his fingers gently down the length of Remi's spine. [say]"My first stop will be to a shrine, to make sure the likes of Nate and Wessex and the Ascended can't set foot back in Stormbreak,"[/say] he murmurs. [say]"I also want to speak to Noah about creating a skyship route to Halo. And I wonder if there might be a way to allow Abandoned into the city..."[/say]

Their couch is not big enough for this, but what of it? With an arm supporting his cheek and the other slung around Ronin's waist, Remi's first point of order is to annoyingly rub his feet against Ronin's while pressing an appreciative kiss to the hollow of his throat.

[say]"Gods..."[/say] Breathing in a long breath, the frustration that momentarily creased Remi's forehead suddenly vanished. [say]"The Greatwood needed the fluids of those we wanted to keep out...and..."[/say] It hardly needs to be explained, and if it saves Ronin a kick in the balls, all the better. [say]"To Halo, mm? I suppose that makes sense."[/say] Getting over the mountains would be a chore, but it wasn't a problem for Remi to solve. Not unless Ronin asked, which was another thing the pair would likely have to get used to.

[say]'Abandoned?'[/say] Obviously neither man had a problem with the abandoned as a race, but Stormbreak would. Or did, or would continue to. Raising his eyebrows and trying to bite back on the colourful flush of emotions that bubbled beneath his fingertips, Remi instead holds his breath to keep himself from inserting his own thoughts into a land that was not his to lead.