Court of the Fallen
In the dark I hear a call - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: In the dark I hear a call (/showthread.php?tid=6892)

Pages: 1 2 3

In the dark I hear a call - Remi - 03-14-2022

It's Oria who makes it happen. With a bag made of leaves, the spriggan deposits the golden berries in a trail that will lead from the Remedy's home to where Remi lingers in the Woodlands. With instructions to leave them carelessly scattered so that they didn't particularly look like a trail, as the spriggan returns, it's with baited breath that the alchemist is forced to sit in shadow, hoping that Isla will both understand as well as come.

It's strange to be able to see from two points of view, and luckily this is enough of a novelty to keep Remi more or less occupied as an unknowable amount of time passes. Whether it's minutes or hours Remi has no idea; he only knows it is long enough to have firmly considered all the ways in which he might have communicated this rendezvous better, and to imagine a hoard of ascended happening upon him under Isla's instruction.

Remi is using:

Magic: Copycat | Remi can mimic the abilities from two fellow demigods (Old Gods only). In order to mimic the ability, Remi must have been damaged by it in a thread previously. Only one ability may be used per thread.
Type: Grey | Rank: Upgraded

Magic: Astral Projection | Ronin can project a version of himself into another location. He can see, hear and speak in this space, and he can affect it physically, including combat situations. If the astral projection is damaged, it can no longer physically affect the space. He may only project as far as the sub-boards adjacent to his physical location - and only if he has previously visited the board.
Type: Light | Rank: Mastered

His physical body is on the outskirts, hidden in shadow with:

Magic: Fade (passive) | When Remi remains completely still, he faded into shadow
Type: Dark | Rank: Basic

RE: In the dark I hear a call - Isla - 03-14-2022

There is no Ascended horde.

There isn't even a trail left to follow, in case of any beady eyes or keen minds. Isla has been collecting the blushberries as she goes, storing them in a basket on her arm as she heads deeper into the Woodlands, keen eyes cutting through the darknesss all too easily.

Easily enough, indeed, to spot Remi as he is suddenly right there, and Isla has dropped the basket and started to run towards him before her mind catches the fuck up with itself. [say]"Remi, you can't be here,"[/say] she hisses, already trying to back up in case the Voice has noticed this anomaly (and she knows her goddess's mind is sharp, so she doesn't hold out much hope).

RE: In the dark I hear a call - Random Event - 03-14-2022

For a moment, Isla will have the distinct feeling of being managed. Not controlled nor taken over, but slower perhaps, as every scan and pulse of her fluid is being interpreted through some other system.

The Voice, as it happens.

Remi will see Isla's eyes flash an electric blue, and then both the feeling and the light will disappear.

RE: In the dark I hear a call - Remi - 03-14-2022

Remi hears her, but only because listening and watching is all there is to do. No sooner does he register the whisper of footsteps than Remi is on his feet with his heart hammering so loudly it's impossible to discern anything else. Holding his breath (which doesn't help dampen the sound), he too breaks into a shuffling sort of run in her direction, slowing only just as she does, before stalling as her eyes flash in his direction.

He thinks this will work; gods he desperately needs it to work.

[say]"I am not here—"[/say] Remi says softly, running his sea glass stare up and down the length of his friend as if spikes or electric claws might suddenly appear. Tense, but boyishly eager, the alchemist takes a tentative step forward. His lungs feel nearly bursting with air, but somehow he still feels out of breath. [say]"—I am not actually here."[/say] He reiterates, taking another step and holding out his hand (the ruined one) toward her as if she were nothing more than some skittish deer.

Remi steps forward and Isla steps back, at first, especially as she feels the Voice slip into her systems as if it's the most natural thing in the world. And indeed, it almost feels good as she senses her scans, her body and her mind all fall perfectly in sync, as they were always meant to do. By the time the Voice is gone again Isla knows that Remi isn't really here - he can't be, because if he was, he'd be dead right now.

[say]"A projection...?"[/say] She doesn't wait for the answer because she doesn't care about the answer, honestly - lurching forward, she smacks his hand aside and all but throws herself around him, her arms looping around his neck as if she might be able to drag him down to her level. The opposite is more likely true, honestly, and if Remi does pull her up instead, Isla's legs will lock quite happily around his waist so she can cling to him like a limpet.

[say]"Gods-- I didn't think I'd ever see you again--"[/say] she whispers, her voice muffled by tears and the way she's buried her head against the side of his neck.

Absolutely he pulls her up.

She was like lifting a bolt of silk for how smooth and light she felt. Caring little about the lack of heat, Remi's fingers curl nearly all the way around her back, with his palms flat against her and his forehead pressed down against her shoulder. Memorizing all that he could in the seconds that were racing by, the alchemist readjusted his grip of her but only so that he might map more of her in the little time he had. [say]'I don't even have anything clever to say,"[/say] He admits with a shaky laugh, breathing in the familiar smells that always seemed to come with her—ones that reminded him of old books and warm tea—but also new ones that he tried not to hate (the smell of Varus, of things sterile and cold). [say]"I had to see you."[/say] Very likely the ascended will be able to feel the thunderous beat of his heart and the burst of heat fueled by his adrenaline, but he can't bring himself to apologize for i.

Not wanting to put her down but knowing how it might look should anyone happen upon them, reluctantly Remi leans forward so Isla might naturally slip her legs back toward the ground.

There isn't anyone around to see, Isla doesn't think, and even then she's not sure she'd care. Letting her fingers smooth through the alchemist's curls, she does relish the heat rolling from his body, the smell of the woods, but also of smoke and rubble, a stark reminder of where he's come from. [say]"Saying clever things doesn't matter when what you did is so brilliant,"[/say] she whispers, kissing his cheek once, twice, half a dozen times, and that's even before he's trying to peel her away.

It's with the greatest amount of reluctance that Isla allows him to place her back on the ground, though she doesn't step away from him. One arm remains curled around his neck, the other winding around his waist so she can tuck herself against his chest. [say]"I missed you so much,"[/say] she says, pressing her eyes shut. [say]"I hate all of this."[/say]

[say] “Technically I am still within the Grounds so, if there is punishment to be doled out, by all means.”[/say] Remi says with a crookedness that matches the uneven thrill he feels like a whirlwind bubbling up in the back of his throat.

Unwinding his arms from her waist that he might nearly mirror her movements, Remi keeps one hand against her lower back as the other rises so that his fingertips might ghost up her arm until his palm finds its way onto her cheek. Teasing his fingers into her hair, Remi’s eyes trail the path between her eyes, her lips, and back again. Swallowing hard, his cheeks growing dark, Remi closes his eyes guiltily for a moment. [say] “I missed you too.”[/say] He murmurs, stroking his thumb across her cheek as he draws her closer still.

[say] “I am sorry for what I said, and how I…well, wrote it. I don’t want to fight with you, especially not like that.”[/say]

RE: In the dark I hear a call - Isla - 03-16-2022

[say]"As far as I'm aware it isn't illegal for you to be in the Grounds. Yet,"[/say] Isla mumbles, with emphasis on the last word - because honestly, who knew when things could change, these days. Even as Overseer of the Hollowed Grounds, not even she can foresee things that could change the landscape of the coming war in an instant. (Looking at you, Stormbreak).

Leaning into the hand against her cheek, Isla doesn't have enough limbs to return the favour, so she merely leans into Remi and turns her head a little to make the most of the touch, however rudimentary it might be to her dulled senses. [say]"Life's too short to fight,"[/say] she whispers with a sad smile, letting out a needless sigh and gazing up at him, flushed cheeks and flustered movements and all.

[say]"I'm sorry too. For everything, Remi. Even the things neither of us can help. I just don't want us to hurt each other any more."[/say]

RE: In the dark I hear a call - Remi - 03-16-2022

[say]"Maybe not illegal, but you did tell me not to come here."[/say] Remi counters with a shrug that is anything but apologetic. Where once he might have been counted on to follow Isla's instructions without argument, with everything that had happened he hoped she'd forgive him this. And if not? As he'd already said, he was willing to accept whatever punishment she might dole out.

[say]"Too short for so many things."[/say] He agrees softly, making no attempt to pull away, but instead continuing to hold her as if they were slow dancing. Closer, perhaps, though his mind was having a hard time focusing on much of anything just now. [say]"I just wanted someone to hold accountable."[/say] Remi admits, his thumb moving just a fraction across her cheek as if to see whether or not the glimmer there could be easily wiped away. [say]"Because you were right. All this back and forth...it has to stop somewhere. If I go after Wessex...that will be the start of everything, if it has not already been started."[/say]

Inhaling, and feeling out of place for it given just how loud his breathing sounded to him in the quiet of midnight, Remi sighs as slowly as he can. [say]"But doing nothing..."[/say] Remi's arms tremble as his muscles contract; the mere thought of letting what the ascended had done go unchallenged was enough to have feathers snarling down his neck and spine.

[say]"I did, but like you said. Technically you are not here, and I can't harm you."[/say] And neither can the Voice goes unsaid, because he'd been there for the way her scans had activated, the danger that tiptoed so close to the surface when it came to her relationship with Remi. [say]"Besides, I really, really needed to see you,"[/say] she admits, caring not at all for their closeness and how appropriate (or not) it might be.

Indeed, nodding and leaning in to rest her head against his chest, Isla closes her eyes to listen to his words accompanied by the reassuring drumbeat of his heart. [say]"I don't blame you for wanting someone to take responsibility for it,"[/say] she says. [say]"And doing nothing is not an option either."[/say] That much they are in agreement with, Isla reaching around to smooth her hands down the length of his back, though whether she's trying to soothe the feathers that have ruffled there or just relish their softness is beyond even her.

[say]"I'm going to reach out to Ronin in Stormbreak,"[/say] she says. [say]"With Sunjata, because of Nate. I don't know how much the Hollowed Grounds can do to make amends, but I'm taking it seriously, I promise."[/say]

Letting his hand comb through her hair and absently play with it as she leans against him, Remi glances in the direction Isla had come from, before pressing his lips to the top of her head and simply taking a moment to appreciate this moment for the things it was (instead of the things it wasn't).

Isla's touch both smoothes away some of his feathers as much as it causes others to bubble to the surface, though those are mostly hidden away by his curls. [say]"Gods, Sunjata..."[/say] There is almost nothing Remi wouldn't do to protect Ronin, and so in that regard he has a cursory respect for the mess the Flood has made. [say]"I am sure Ronin will want to know if Sunjata knew what his shifts were going to be used for."[/say] The alchemist murmurs. [say]"Not that all of this isn't confusingly personal to begin with, but...he and Sunjata were so close for so many years..."[/say] If this wasn't the height of betrayal, Remi didn't want to know what was.

Isla closes her eyes, not realising they're both doing the same thing, but also feeling as though this is a moment that she desperately needs to savour just in case it never comes around again. [say]"Mm, Sunjata..."[/say] Sighing needlessly, she peeps up at him as best she can without giving up any of the closeness between them. [say]"I hate to say it, but he must have known enough given who was using those shifts..."[/say]

Furrowing her brows, Isla shakes her head sadly. [say]"That's another reason I'd like to be there with him, or at least to establish the boundaries of the meeting beforehand. I don't know yet if Sunjata is going to stay in the Wilds or if he will move to the Grounds, but if he does, he's under my remit as well, I suppose."[/say] Confusingly personal doesn't even begin to cover it, and Isla shakes her head.

[say]"I can say for certain at least that something will be done. And I know it won't mean much to you, and I don't expect it to, but Wessex also regrets her actions. So I will do whatever I can to make this right."[/say] And to make this not start the war goes unsaid.

[say]"...Anyway. How are things? Tell me everything. I want to hear about you, not just about politics."[/say]

It was impossible to think of anything but kissing Isla just then, as she turned to look up at him. So real in his arms in a way he'd literally jumped off a bridge during their last meeting to avoid, Remi's teeth click together as the lines around his eyes tighten with frustration and he's forced to pull his gaze away from her. [say]"That sounds smart."[/say] Is all he can say, and in his mind, he tries to think of frigid snowscapes and claws that bite into his skin. Only...the freezing skies are all a brilliant pebble-blue, and the pain is one he enjoys.

[say]"No, it doesn't mean anything."[/say] Remi says truthfully, biting his tongue to keep from elaborating simply to be petty.

Chuckling without much humour, Remi shrugs and hazards a glance down at Isla. [say]"I am not sure how much me there is apart from the politics these days. Which, of course I hate."[/say] This latter part is said through a crooked smile. [say]"Have you gone to see the Flowerbirth God in the desert?"[/say]