Court of the Fallen
[Training] [SE] do you see what I see - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [Training] [SE] do you see what I see (/showthread.php?tid=7292)

Pages: 1 2

[SE] do you see what I see - Neron - 06-11-2022

He'd agreed to meet Wessex out here for some training, but whereas, as an Abandoned, Neron would have absolutely overslept and been embarrassingly late, not needing to sleep has eliminated that issue. He arrives in his customary black, hands resting in the pockets of his coat and his collar turned up against the falling snow, raising his eyebrows at a flurry of evergreens that seem to be flanking the nearby ruins.

Not having expected anything to grow here, let alone some fine looking firs, the Hailstorm strolls deeper into the impromptu forest to inspect them further. He's lingering next to one that seems adorned with gift tags when he realises the trees have sort of... closed around him, almost? [say]"If this is how I die, it will be very embarrassing,"[/say] he informs no one in particular, trying to peer through the trees to see the path he'd been following.

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Wessex - 06-14-2022

[say] “Goddess above, just fucking MOVE!”[/say] Wessex tone belies the extent of exasperation in a person who has never been very patient to begin with.[say] “I’ll chop you up and burn you if I have to,”[/say] she swears, growling at the Firlings that have also surrounded her. Knowing that they’re at least partially sentient, she does feel some sort of obligation to warn them, in case the threat of fire and becoming firewood trigger some sort of flight response.[say] “Don’t think that I won’t.”[/say]

But to no one’s surprise, the threats go unheeded, and now she has to follow through with her threats. Backing up, the Wraith reaches out to the Hailstorm, offering a solemn,[say] Should probably soak the trees around you.[/say] before she targets one of the Firlings with her lasers.

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Neron - 06-15-2022

Jumping a bit, not having expected the silence to be broken by Wessex's angry cursing, Neron is doing a very bad job of not appearing amused as he skitters back across the snow a few steps. [say]Oh, we're actually going to burn them,[/say] he says by way of a hello, more of an observation than anything else. Still, she's ploughing ahead with her lasers and Neron has no intention of becoming a pile of ash in the near future, so he does what she says.

Water magic cascades from his fingertips, drenching the surrounding trees (and Neron, as a result), though it won't remain liquid for long in these temperatures. [say]You know, this s the strangest training session I think I have ever done,[/say] he drawls, eyeing up the lasers and whatever other tricks that the Wraith wants to pull out.

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Wessex - 06-18-2022

In this temperature and weather, with snow abundant and the ruins a cold, damp, gloomy place - the Firlings are wetter than she thought they might be. Her lasers target an unfortunately close tree, but it doesn’t burst into overly-dramatic flames the way she would have liked. Instead, it squeals a bit as if in pain and tries to hop away with some awkward jerks and rustling. There’s smoke - a lot of smoke - but not much more than that.[say] Well this… wasn’t exactly the plan,[/say] she confesses with a bit of a strain.

All her lasers have done is effectively move the trees away from her… and towards Neron. Wessex gives up on her lasers and calls out,[say] “Where are you?”[/say]

She can’t see the Hailstorm for the trees.

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Neron - 06-19-2022

[say]Well I feel as though I have made more new friends than intended here,[/say] Neron informs Wessex as he notices the forest around him growing distinctly more smoky and dense. [say]Given that I didn't intend to make any at all,[/say] he adds, only to whip around as he hears Wessex call out verbally. [say]"Hang on, I can hear you!"[/say] he calls back, excusing himself through a patch of shuffling firlings to try and reach the Wraith.

When Neron finally does find her, his clothes are frozen and he's covered in pine needles, but seems nonetheless in fairly good spirits. [say]"As entertaining as that was, I think I'd prefer not to do that a second time,"[/say] he says by way of greeting, a cat-like smile creeping across his face. [say]"At least they aren't violent, mm?"[/say] It feels like everything in Caido has a penchant for brutality, so this makes a nice change.

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Wessex - 06-22-2022

On his way to her, Neron might be able to see that her lasers have failed, there are no flames. They’re lucky little Firlings, all things considered, even the one that’s leaving enough smoke in its wake to make a regular person’s eyes water. They are, however, clearing the vicinity enough to give the two of them some room to do what they’d actually come to do.[say] “No,”[/say] she agrees with a ready grumble,[say] “I’d rather those things not see me fail again.”[/say] Can’t have them spreading rumors about Caido to the other half-sentient flora. Guess who isn’t as effective as she looks!

Anyway, Neron seems unharmed and unphased and so she jokes,[say] “Not violent yet. Wait until there’s a whole Firling platoon on the Old God’s side.”[/say] Which provokes a bit of a chuckle as she moves to create some space around the two of them. Casually reaching behind to fish around for something at the base of her head, she removes the Backsplash upgrade, as promised, and sets it neatly in a pocket.[say] “Alright. You want to work on anything specific or just have at it?”[/say]

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Neron - 06-22-2022

[say]"You failed?"[/say] Neron feigns a gasp, though the lack of flames and the smoky firling makes it fairly obvious, now that he has time to think about it. [say]"They are moving away so I wouldn't consider it a complete failure,"[/say] he adds, turning back around to face her just in time to see her rip the upgrade from the base of her skull. [say]"A platoon of trees? Don't the Greatwood already have something like that?"[/say] And it makes him want to roll his eyes right out of his head about it.

But anyway, back to training. A battlemage by nature, he remains where he is as Wessex asks where they ought to start, the Hailstorm letting a smile creep back across his lips. [say]"I'll stick to what I know, if it's all the same. Show me what you've got,"[/say] he invites, only to send a lance of ice her way to start them off.

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Wessex - 06-24-2022

[say] “Ah, not quite,”[/say] Wessex clarifies with an ehhhh face.[say] “The whole forest will hold fast to any Ascended who enters. Haven’t put it to the test yet.”[/say] And she isn’t likely to, not with everything else on her plate and the assumptions Remi will probably jump to should she be caught and unable to teleport away.

She’s the big, bad, Ascended demigod. All motives must be pure evil.

Anyway, back to the task at hand. Even though she grins at the go, part of her wants to shake the Hailstorm and say he needs a new trick; ice is nice, but what about earth or lightning? Something to surprise their enemies. Normally when she’s with Neron, she leeches off his magic, but this time, she feels like debuting a new toy. Trying to skip to the right and out of the lance’s trajectory, the Wraith hurls a couple of electric orbs at the ice in defense, curious what electricity will do to it.

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Neron - 06-26-2022

Neron also wrinkles his nose at that; he's clearly of a similar mindset, and he doesn't want anything to do with the Greatwood (or Remi Taliesin, for that matter, not more than he already has done). Luckily, Wessex provides both a distraction and an outlet, and yes, ice is nice, so the Hailstorm sees no reason to switch things up just yet. He's not surprised when the Wraith darts so easily out of the way; already he's trying to change trajectory, aiming for a spray of icicles where he thinks she'll be next.

There's just that small matter of the electric orbs. With wide blue eyes, Neron watches as his lance of ice fractures and bursts apart, the Hailstorm shielding his eyes from any fallout. [say]"That's new,"[/say] he calls out as a compliment, promptly engaging his cloaking upgrade to fade into nothing against the snow. Combined with his illusion magic to disguise his footsteps, he hopes that Wessex won't catch him sneaking about.

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Wessex - 06-27-2022

The ice lance shatters, sending shards every which way and eliciting a delightfully surprised [say] “Ooooh!”[/say] from the Wraith. It is new. And they are fun. And she can’t wait to properly use them.[say] “The Voice and I thought it was time to counteract those damn StArBoLtS”[/say] she offers by way of explanation. Not that it needed any - but Neron might find its purpose particularly pleasing.

She’s too late to entirely avoid the icicles; dropping into a low squat with her hands protecting her head, she takes a couple of shards to her arm and shoulder. Her sensors register some damage, but she shakes much of it off and tries to pull the largest shard out before moving in on… wherever Neron has gone. Looking up, she can’t quite tell where her brother is. But logic tells her that he can’t have gone far, so like a savage beast, she lopes forward a pace or two, using her hands to propel her along, and lets loose a biopulse when she thinks she’s cleared enough distance to ensare the Hailstorm in its radius.

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Neron - 06-28-2022

[say]"Ohoho,"[/say] comes Neron's chuckle, obviously impressed by the Voice's ingenuity - and its results. [say]"I have never had the pleasure of being on the receiving end of them, but I can't say I won't be sad to see you give the Huntsman a nasty shock regardless."[/say] Because he's a shit, and the Old Gods crew having a bad time is practically the same as their Ascended family having a good one.

He's too busy hiding his footprints with his illusions to be thinking about her biopulse; and besides which, he hasn't expected or seen it. So when Wessex detonates the upgrade, Neron catches it at close range, and both the invisibility and the illusion drop at the same time he does. [say]"Gods, Wessex--"[/say] he grumbles as he tries to roll back to his feet, every one of his sensors feeling as if they're malfunctioning. [say]"How many other tricks do you have?"[/say]

Throwing out a hand, he aims to make the ground beneath her feet extra-special-slippery with ice. If he can't move easily, it's only fair to even the playing field and all.

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Wessex - 06-29-2022

Still crouching in front of him, Wessex has to pause and think for a moment about the question. Her eyes go distant and in an unusual turn of events, her guard goes down.[say] “Just one, I think -”[/say] rising to demonstrate it on something that isn’t Neron. But her sudden movement on the ice throws her a little off-kilter and she sways, arms whirling and sending her own spray of ice-darts up into the air instead of neatly toward the Hailstorm. Oops. Well there’s an easy fix for ice, right? Just don’t be on it.

Wings burst from her back and parts of her twist into monstrous features - Wessex has never been pretty, but this is a whole other level - more than manticore or other mythical animal. It's human, but not. Her skin becomes scaly, claws sprout from her nailbeds, and her teeth elongate, curling and distorting her mouth. Launching herself into the air, she avoids turning Neron to stone and instead casts her gaze upon a bird that flits quickly by.

It drops like a rock. Because it is one.

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Neron - 06-29-2022

[say]"Oh?"[/say] Neron begins, tilting his head and waiting expectantly to see Wessex's trick, only for her to demonstrate some rather fetching acrobatics on his ice. Biting the inside of his cheek (hard) to keep a straight face, the Hailstorm nods to her. [say]"That is quite something,"[/say] he warbles, only to scramble back on his arse as she surges upwards.

For the record, Neron would disagree with Wessex never being pretty if he weren't suddenly gawking at her shift, but alas, those compliments remain under his tongue. Though it's probably a good thing, really, because talking would be a distraction from dodging the suddenly-a-rock bird that's looking to cave in his face.

Hurling himself to one side and blinking with wide eyes at the former creature as it shatters to the ground, it's a very narrow dodge. [say]"Holy shit,"[/say] he blurts. [say]"That... well that's fucking impressive."[/say]

RE: [SE] do you see what I see - Wessex - 06-30-2022

Alright, she isn’t immune to compliments - and though her back is turned to the Hailstorm, she does preen a little under the admiration.[say] Yeah?[/say] comes the mental query as she floats back down to the ground.[say] Happy to share. I’d actually never tried that before. You think it’s dead?[/say] She means the bird of course, but she starts to glance that way and flinches, squeezing her eyes shut.Fuck, gotta shift back first.

It feels dangerous. Volatile. One wrong glance and she’ll have an ally turned to stone instead of an enemy. But… on the other hand, she can now summon one, so - shaking her head to clear her thoughts, she peers at the stone bird, and then at Neron.[say] “Guess I'm really a monster now, huh?”[/say] Except it’s not said with her usual self-pity. Not this time. This time, she’s rather smug, and has a cat-eating-the-canary kind of smirk on her face.