Court of the Fallen
the skin of a predator - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: the skin of a predator (/showthread.php?tid=7302)

Pages: 1 2

the skin of a predator - Isla - 06-21-2022

It isn't often that Isla finds cause to even go this far out into the Settlement. She doesn't need food or water and most of the time she's capable of digging up whatever herbs and other medicinal plants she requires herself. And anything else comes via deliveries to the Infirmary. But this is a special request, from the most special of goddesses, and so out Isla comes. There's a tanner on the very fringes of the market (of course) and she needs some leather made.

This isn't any leather, though - the pelt she carries is from a bear, gifted from a hunter who had needed to visit her clinic to take care of some injuries. (Injuries caused by the bear). And although it might be pitch black and although it has only been a couple of years since monsters roamed LongNight, the number of Ascended plus the relative safety has allowed the Grounds to operate on something of a business as usual basis.

Crunching through the snow with the pelt over her shoulder, Isla approaches the tanner without delay.

RE: the skin of a predator - Sunjata - 06-22-2022

It is rare to see Isla out this far. It’s also rarer still for Sunjata to be out of the VlamVloed despite knowing that LongNight was safe here. It was still the memories it dredged up, that first year in particular that he’d spent here – arguing with Lusea before she’d died again about things he had long since forgotten. But something about it seemed to suggest he needed out, only for a moment, a brisk run or flight or something in the darkness illuminated only by the few and far between torches.

He chooses to walk once the bite of the cold wind hits him, when the snow begins to crunch beneath his boot. He somehow manages to find Isla, his gaze partially shifted to one of the shifts he can see in the dark better with. “[say]Hey! Isla![/say]” He calls out to her, nearly slipping on some ice he’d missed by taking a bit larger of a step than he had been previously – still not one cut out for snow. “[say]What do you have there?[/say]” He asks, flashing Isla an easy smile, crooked by nature of the scar bisecting his cheek.

RE: the skin of a predator - Isla - 06-22-2022

[say]"Oh--! Careful!"[/say] Isla's greeting is a little less jovial, given that she turns to look over her shoulder just in time to see Sunjata narrowly avoid slipping on the ice. Her shoulders sag a bit as he arrives at her side unscathed, and she shifts the bear pelt up a little. [say]"Hello, Jata. Happy LongNight."[/say] Smiling now, she still finds it strange to wish someone something like that, but she supposes that it's just another occasion to enjoy without the monsters.

[say]"Hm, this? Oh, it's the pelt from a bear in the Woodland. I'm having it made into leather at the tanner,"[/say] she explains, motioning down the row of stalls to the one on the outskirts, right at the end. [say]"What's brought you out this late? Well... relatively speaking."[/say] When the sun doesn't rise, it's always late.

RE: the skin of a predator - Sunjata - 06-22-2022

He’s close to tell her that he still isn’t used to the snow, but it’s a fact that he imagines she picks up on quickly. After all, he steps across the snow like a dawn taking its first few steps — awkward and unsure until the footing holds and he grows bolder. At the very least, he meets her head on, a smile blooming on his face. “[say]Happy LongNight.[/say]” He hums back to her, finding the wording less strange than she would, given the times he’d stayed carefully sequestered away in places that weren’t barraged by creatures year after year.

He appraises the pelt as she explains, a low hum of understanding slipping from his lips. “[say]Should turn out nice.[/say]” He says after scanning it before looking at her pale face again, briefly, before his gaze drifts out over the snow and ice. “[say]Felt an itch to get out into the open.[/say]” He shrugs a shoulder, a hand rising to rub at the back of his neck over his scarf. It was likely something to do with the shifts within him, able to influence him just as they once had. His connection to them restoring slowly. “[say]Mind if I join you?[/say]” Hanging out with her as she takes the pelt in sounds far more ideal than standing out in the open on his own, truthfully.

RE: the skin of a predator - Isla - 06-26-2022

Oh, she absolutely picks up on it, and it's with a professional level of care that she looks him over when he arrives at her side, making sure he's not twisted or sprained anything on his way. Once she's satisfied, Isla smiles and nods her agreement at the bear pelt. [say]"I hope so,"[/say] she says. [say]"It's for the Voice. Well, part of something for the voice. I am going to try and get a shield upgrade for myself - I thought it would make sense, if I am to be doing most of the healing."[/say]

She understands the need to get out, into the open or otherwise, Isla nodding to him gently. [say]"Of course you can join me, though I can't promise you'll enjoy it as much, given that your sense of smell is a lot better than mine."[/say] Tanners are not renowned for being the sweetest smelling, after all. [say]"How are things at the VlamVloed? How is Nate?"[/say]

RE: the skin of a predator - Sunjata - 06-29-2022

He hasn’t, thankfully. He’s gotten a bit more resilient as time moves on from the weak demigod he’d become when he’d agreed to follow Frey and be one of theirs. He feels stronger, even, though he doesn’t try to test his boundaries too much – mainly for Nate’s sake. And Isla’s, on the other hand. “[say]That’s a great idea.[/say]” He hums with a soft smile, stepping in a bit closer to see her better in the dark light of LongNight. “[say]Would it be solely for you or larger to encompass whomever you’re healing?[/say]” His curiosity knows no bounds tonight, evidently.

As for his sense of smell, the Flood shrugs it off, an amused smile crossing his face. “[say]Mm, well, I think I’ll manage it for the company.[/say]” It’s a gentle tease and one that has him growing a bit softer as she asks about the VlamVloed and Nate, a spark of light crossing his gaze in addition to his relaxed posture. “[say]Good. Nate’s good now. The VlamVloed is still just as much of a hot spot as it had been before, though I think Neron’s help is beneficial currently.[/say]” A slight shrug leaves him, his attention drifting down the path they take, before turning back to her. “[say]How’s the clinic and leadership going for you?[/say]”

RE: the skin of a predator - Serendipity - 06-29-2022

Darkness might make her harder to see but her screams ring out clear as a bell. Through the pitch and the snow strides a mournful and devastatingly horrific creature with her hands outstretched and her face hidden by a dirty white veil.

You’ve encountered a Banshee. This counts as a rare creature encounter for the purposes of levelling, but does not count as a Random Event for levelling or MP. There will be no further admin/re intervention. If you choose to follow this creature, you do so at your own risk, however, just having it in this thread is enough to satisfy your levelling requirements. You may not kill your rare creature without admin permission.

Banshees (rare/mythical): They take the form of a skeletal lady wrapped in rags. Some wander the woodlands, singing a haunting melody. Others sit near streams and weep. Either way, disturbing these creatures will cause them to become very aggressive. They can pursue their prey seemingly without need for rest, and will strangle all those that they catch.

RE: the skin of a predator - Isla - 07-01-2022

[say]"I think it would only be for me at the moment,"[/say] Isla says slowly, furrowing her brow. [say]"When I spoke to the Voice she mentioned that it would be good to protect myself as well as others in the field, so I guess it would make sense. But I'll have to ask her if I could extend the upgrade..."[/say] It's certainly not something that would be a bad thing, after all.

[say]"Oh, you are too kind,"[/say] she teases Sunjata back, nudging her shoulder against his gently and seeming to soften to hear about Nate and the bar. [say]"I'm glad,"[/say] she murmurs, though there's something very troubled in her expression as he turns the question to her.

Unfortunately, at that point they are interrupted by something truly horrifying, more so especially because of how dark it is. [say]"Oh, fuck--"[/say] Isla whispers, grabbing at Sunjata's sleeve to try and tug him into the tanners; the stalls are quickly emptying as people quite literally flee for their lives. [say]"Have you ever seen a banshee just stride into town like this?"[/say] she hisses, raising her finger to her lips to the tanner to indicate that he ought to be quiet.

RE: the skin of a predator - Sunjata - 07-02-2022

“[say]It never hurts to ask, right?[/say]” He asks, as a small, crooked smile forms on his face. The worst thing the Voice could say is no, after all. But the two of them fall into easy banter, her shoulder nudging his with the gentle tease, a soft laugh leaving him in the form of a small cloud passing by his face due to the cold. His lips part, about to add something else into the mix when the scream breaks through the air and suddenly everyone’s in motion.

Tension shoots through him immediately – for a second, confused that its some LongNight monster and that the battles weren’t over yet, before realizing it’s a banshee. Not that it changes much, given how dangerous banshees are (and they’re not exclusive to the two darkest weeks of the year). Armored plates cover his arms as Isla tugs him toward the tanners, silent and keeping hidden just as Isla does, gaze flickering to the tanner. “[say]It’s getting bold.[/say]” Sunjata comments quietly, nose wrinkling as he frowns. “[say]Do we think there’s more of them than just this one terrorizing everyone?[/say]”

RE: the skin of a predator - Isla - 07-03-2022

Luckily Isla has no need to hold her breath, but it looks that way regardless as she watches the ghostly, ragged creature drift by. Her screams and cries are as mournful as they are terrifying, and were it not for the fact that she’s right fucking there, Isla wouldn’t be surprised if people ran out to see if she was alright. She’s more than alright though, and the Remedy watches the banshee stride away from the marketplace with a disbelieving shake of her head.

[say]”From my reading, I think they are mostly solitary,”[/say] she says, still whispering even though there’s slow movement from outside again now, signs of life as traders emerge and shoppers gather in clusters to gossip about the occurrence. [say]”Which is good, because I can’t imagine a group of those things.”[/say]

Letting her shoulders relax and straightening up from where she’s been hunkering down beside Sunjata, Isla offers him a small smile. [say]”Sorry, what were you saying?”[/say] she asks.

RE: the skin of a predator - Sunjata - 07-03-2022

Wincing as the banshee walks by, Sunjata keeps his gaze half on watching it disappear and half on everyone else who’s hidden themselves away. His question is soon answered, though, a little hum of acknowledgement that they’re solitary, before his nose wrinkles at the idea of a group of them. But now that it’s mostly vanished, he glances over at her with a small half relieved smile. “[say]Do you think a group of them would be called a pity party?[/say]” A wink slips from him, an air of a laugh.

She straightens up, though, and he follows suit, an arm placed behind him in the small of his back as he stretches it out from the hunch he’d placed himself in. “[say]No need to be sorry. I asked how the clinic and leadership was going.[/say]” It’s mostly idle chit chat anyway, given that he hardly has much going on aside from his quest from Frey. The rest of his time spent lately has been nothing to even comment on.

RE: the skin of a predator - Isla - 07-04-2022

It's such a serious moment that, for a second, Isla isn't sure what Sunjata is getting at. And so her laughter is as much surprised as it is amused when it finally sinks in, her shoulders relaxing as she pulls the bearskin from her shoulder. [say]"You know, I think it might be. A pity party of banshees. Or perhaps a coven?"[/say] She wiggles her eyebrows dramatically.

Approaching the tanner and thanking him for keeping quiet, Isla explains her request and hands over the bearskin for him to cure into leather. Once she's finished with the exchange, she glances back to Sunjata and her smile falters somewhat.

[say]"The clinic is going well,"[/say] she says - because it really is. [say]"Leadership, though... I am doing my best."[/say] And she has been since day one. [say]"I was never meant to do this by myself, you know? But Bastien..."[/say] Isla huffs out a sigh she doesn't need. [say]"And after everything with these relics, and with Remi, I... well. Things haven't been easy, Jata."[/say]

RE: the skin of a predator - Sunjata - 07-04-2022

He clicks his tongue at her final answer of a coven, a shake of his head. “[say]Sounds too official.[/say]” He murmurs with another soft snort. But he draws silent, watching the interaction and the exchange between the Overseer and the tanner, waiting until they’re done before his attention is fully on Isla again.

All amusement fades, his face forming the frown that’s so prominent in the wrinkles growing on his face. He nods, understanding glimmering there. “[say]No, it’s not.[/say]” It wasn’t easy in the slightest to bear the weight on a single pair of shoulders. He knows, he’s done it, and he couldn’t handle it after a while.

His hand rises, warm and gentle to rest on her shoulder as he offers her a soft smile. “[say]Well, if you need any help or an ear to vent to, I’m at least experienced in sole leading of a region to either commiserate or offer advice.[/say]” It might have been over a year now, but he was still a leader regardless. He knows the weight it carries, the stress it brings.

RE: the skin of a predator - Isla - 07-05-2022

It does sound too official, and Isla concedes the point with an amused smile while she deals with the tanner. It will be some time before her leather is ready, and so it's with a handwritten receipt that she leads them back towards the door to the establishment. His hand lands on her shoulder rather unexpectedly, Isla glancing up and furrowing her brow. Quietly, she reaches up to rest her hand over his, giving a grateful nod.

[say]"Thank you,"[/say] she mumbles. [say]"I... did you want to lead?"[/say] It comes almost blurted out as they step back into the darkened marketplace. [say]"I think that's the difference. I just... I didn't ever want this. I did it because I had to, and I don't think I would miss it if I didn't do it any more, you know? I'm a healer, not a leader."[/say]