Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-11-2022

[say]"Rude,"[/say] Ronin drawls, as if having two sets of presents came part and parcel along with having two birthdays. And Christmas, don't forget. [say]"If I get a new bike from one of the scrapheaps topside, you reckon you could fix it up for me?"[/say] he asks instead, because that's like a present, and it might take Remi long enough that by the end of July it'll be ready, right? (He's still under the impression that the wendigo isn't going to try and kill himself, of course).

[say]"Oh, qUiTe cOLd is it?"[/say] Ronin rolls his eyes. [say]"And I said 90 seconds, but the freezing water would change things. Which it did. I was there, remember?"[/say] If his legs didn't feel so heavy maybe he'd reach out and kick Remi instead, but even if he could, he'd probably just manage to push his wheelchair away across the room rather than achieving anything.

Glancing around the room afresh as if trying to paint over the pink with the colours Remi has chosen, Ronin nods approvingly. [say]"A feature wall,"[/say] he says. [say]"Could get you a nice houseplant for your desk too."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 12-12-2022

[SAY]"Absolutely I could."[/say] Remi agrees with a far too eager nod. Of course he'd need the time, the tools, the space to work, oh and of course Suuuuusan's permission. It was hard to say which of those would be the hardest to come by.

Huffing and rolling his eyes in tandem, the wendigo exhales a steady stream of air (if he'd had a cigarette it would have looked much cooler). [say]"Yeah, yeah."[/say] It isn't agreement so much as it's a way to simply stop talking about how Ronin had nearly died, how it had been Remi's fault, and how the wendigo ultimately couldn't be trusted.

[say]"I never was that good with plants. Maybe it could be plastic."[/say] He murmurs, glancing at his desk and trying to imagine it. [say]"Could never really figure out how much water they needed."[/say] Remi adds with a scrunch of his nose.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-12-2022

[say]"I've been trying to get a new one for a long time,"[/say] Ronin remarks, and while they're just talking pipe dreams at the moment... well. Perhaps there are cogs whirring away in the back of the Hunter's mind, albeit slowly, given the sedatives; permission is something he considers a rather grey area, and what Suuuuusan doesn't know won't kill her. (Yet).

[say]"A plastic one could work,"[/say] he chirps, nodding a bit. [say]"Just remember that the plastic ones don't need any water. Like, at all."[/say] With a lopsided grin, he tilts his head towards the desk, already trying to think of an obnoxious plastic plant to smuggle in for the wendigo to stare at instead of the pink walls.

He's about to say something else when the light over Remi's door informs them of a fresh visitor, and oh look, it's the grumpy guard again, and by the look on his face, Ronin's visit is just about over. [say]"Oh c'mon, it's not even been fifteen minutes,"[/say] the Hunter complains.

Remi frowns in such a way that says well, we'll see as he splays his fingers. Surely a little water wouldn't hurt a fake plant, and then it would give him the illusion of it being real. (Insert metaphor here).

The appearance of the guard has the wendigo's stomach-turning, and though quick movements are things he tries to avoid with company lest he stir up suspicion, Remi does sit up quite fast. [say]'Hey-'[/say] He mumbles, suddenly unsure if he should be standing, or taking Ronin's hand, or..[say]"..take care of yourself, yeah?"[/say]

Take care of yourself? Great final words, idiot.

[say]"Mm, I guess we will,"[/say] Ronin smirks, already planning to get a clear container for the fake houseplant so he can see exactly how much Remi has tried to drown it. More on that next time though, he supposes, because here comes Mr. Grinch to ruin the party. It's probably for the best if Ronin is very honest with himself - the painkillers are either starting to wear off or the sedatives are starting to kick in, because he's really woozy all of a sudden.

And so it's with a sunny, glazed sort of smile to Remi that he's wheeled out of the room, casting him a wave with his good arm. [say]"I will if you do,"[/say] he calls back. [say]"And Merry Christmas!"[/say] He'll be just as ashamed of those last words, worry not.

Over the next few days, Remi is an absolute menace. He's uncooperative during tests and treatments, has taken to standing naked in the middle of his room staring up at the one-way glass with his eyes narrowed, and anytime anyone at all enters through his door, the wendigo does his utmost to attack.

Sadly, rather than trigger-happy guards being assigned to him, Remi has instead been moved to a closet-sized cell, bound with silver such that he couldn't move his arms, and constantly muzzled. He probably should have expected that tying him up and leaving him somewhere was easier than actually trying to manage him, but never mind. He has a plan.

Though the silver keeps him from shifting, Remi is still just as strong and impervious to pain, such that he's dislocated his wrist in an effort to slip part of his hand through the chains. The next person to open the door of his cage is in for a surprise.

Remi is a menace, and Ronin heals as best he can. He only hears news of the wendigo's situation on the grapevine, what with all the physiotherapy and medication and experimental healing techniques which may or may not have come about as a result of Remi in the first place. But when he's up and at 'em (by which time his partner is muzzled in a silver lined coffin, basically), he decides to drop by.

Surprise, presumably.

Hopefully Remi will hear him coming, though, by he argument he's having with the guards outside. [say]"I don't give a fuck who he's been attacking, you probably asked for it - and even if you didn't, I bet you deserved it. Open the fucking cell."[/say]

While someone calls the Powers That Be, the weaker less senior guard reluctantly punches in the code to let Ronin see the wendigo.

You thought it was going to be Isla, didn't you? That Remi would have to choose between his escape and the pretty doctor? Incorrect.

Not only can Remi hear who's coming, but he can smell him too. His mind only has a few seconds to make a decision: go ahead with the plan he's been manifesting for days now, or...just...well, listen. He'd have more chances, right? And his legs were starting to get a bit cramped.

So rather than springing forward as the door is opened, Remi just scowls at the sudden burst of light, tilting his head away from the glare and cursing melodically under his breath. [say]'You are not the hooker I ordered.'[/say] He complains, blinking rapidly to adjust to the light.

[say]"And you're not breakfast in bed, but here we are."[/say] Much more himself today, Ronin's arm is still in a sling, but it's already mostly healed, which cuts a lot of his recovery time down when it comes to those weeks he'd first mentioned to Remi. Shame it hasn't done shit for his hearing, but whatever. It's fine.

He looks the wendigo up and down in a gesture that mostly finds his choice of cell nteresting, before he steps in a little closer and lowers his voice. [say]"They said you'd been trying to attack everyone,"[/say] he murmurs. [say]"Which, honestly - good for you. But at the same time, I don't reckon it'll get you any closer to a green feature wall and a houseplant."[/say]

[say]'But you could be.'[/say] The wendigo counters. It makes the guard flinch and whisper more dramatically into his walkie.

Having already tried the heart-to-heart method with Isla and having no results, Remi doesn't bother spelling his plan out to Ronin. Instead, he leans back, away from the hunter and coincidentally against his dislocated wrist. [say]"I am never going to get those things, Ronin."[/say] Remi replies flatly before his gaze shifts over the hunter's shoulder and toward the guard. If he came even a step or two closer...if Remi could manage to get around Ronin despite the shackles on his feet...

[say]'What brings you around to my neck of the woods?"[/say] Remi asks, suddenly sounding very conversational.

The guard flinches and Ronin merely raises his eyebrows in comparison, as if the wendigo had just made a particularly lewd joke. [say]"I'd hardly call this a bed,"[/say] he points out, [say]"but you did say it had been four years, so I guess anything counts after a certain point, right?"[/say] Clearly unaware of either the danger he might be in or of Remi's escape plans, Ronin leans against the side of the cell and lets out a soft sigh.

[say]"Not with that attitude,"[/say] he points out. [say]"And I thought it'd be obvious. You're acting like someone with a deathwish, and I suppose I got a little worried. Wondered if I could offer a shoulder to cry on or a really terrible therapy session. I'd have brought whiskey if I thought you'd be able to enjoy it."[/say]

[say]'Any port in a storm. Isn't that the expression?"[/say] Remi murmurs, wondering if there was a way through this where Ronin didn't get hurt.

Still eyeing the guard as Ronin's words register, the wendigo blinks before refocusing on his friend. [say]"Your pitch could use some work."[/say] Remi jokes, hesitantly, trying to stifle the urge he feels to immediately take the hunter up on his offer. [say]'So the plan was to loiter here in the doorway, with captain worry-wort there, not bring my anything to drink, and offer terrible council?"[/say] He wonders, grinning despite himself.

Not really able to move without revealing the state of his wrist, Remi leans back against the wall more fully.

[say]"I think that's it, yes,"[/say] Ronin says with a smirk. [say]"Though I suppose we could flip a coin as to who counts as the port in this storm, right?"[/say] He raises his brows, though really, muzzled and shackled (as far as he knows) as Remi is, he's not looking very ship-shape, as it were. (Get it? Phallic jokes? Har har har).

Shrugging as if to say he can't help the pitch given the suddenness of his visit, he nonetheless slants a smile in Remi's direction. [say]"Hey, you don't know yet if it's terrible - you could always try me,"[/say] he says. [say]"And I'd have brought you a Bloody Mary, but I think that might have been the final nail in Captain worry-wart's coffin back there. Next time we're out though, it's on me."[/say]

I fuckin see what you did there [say]"Oh, is that how it works?"[/say] The wendigo wants to know, looking quietly amused and perhaps just the tiniest bit curious. [say]'See, here I'd peg you for a bottom.'[/say] He says with a casual shrug. (peg, cause pegging-? you get it).

[say]"You literally described it as being terrible."[/say] Remi points out, offering up an imploring look, before scoffing. [say]"Sure, next time."[/say] He agrees tonelessly, wondering if he'd ever be able to tell Ronin his plans, or tell him to fuck off, without feeling guilty about it.

[say]"I don't have a death wish."[/say] The wendigo clarifies. He had a death plan, which was very different. [say]"I'm just acting like the monster I am. Good behaviour does not go very far, so I thought I would give this a try."[/say] So saying, he flinches forward just a few inches which has worry-wart nearly tripping over his own feet and falling onto his ass.