Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 05-08-2023

Well that's that, then. Allowing himself a proper smile as well, now, Ronin shifts a little on the bed so he's not sitting quite so stiffly, and they can talk like two actual friends and partners instead of whatever bizarre bullshit posturing they've been doing so far. [say]"A picture book?"[/say] he repeats, grinning without being able to help it. [say]"A My First Faerie Pact, huh?"[/say]

Shaking his head, Remi still has a good point, and Ronin commits to getting something for him. [say]"I might be able to bring you my own notes. Typed, you'll be glad to hear,"[/say] he suggests, rubbing at the back of his neck. [say]"And it's the circles of mushrooms you really have to watch out for. Honestly, just don't touch anything that naturally forms a circle, okay?"[/say]

Dropping his hand, he glances back to the wendigo and, for the first time, feels able to ask without it being prescriptive. [say]"How are you healing up?"[/say] he asks. [say]"The nuckelavee really went to town on you. They had to break you to fix you."[/say] More than once. Ronin wrinkles his nose.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 05-08-2023

[say]"Yeah that sounds good. Maybe one that comes with some string so you can make yourself a bracelet while you read. You know the ones."[/say] Remi says with a wave of his hand as if of course such a thing should exist.

[say]'Thank god for that. I didn't want to say it before, but the worst part of your plan was me having to read your writing."[/say] The wendigo chuckles. Finding the ease of tension both relieving and also concerning (were they sitting too close again? should he offer Ronin a pillow, or..?), Remi itches at his cheek with his palm. [say]"You wouldn't catch me near a mushroom anyway."[/say] The wendigo says with a sudden scowl. [say]"They are too..."[/say] Closing his fingers that he might wave them in a characteristically Italian gesture, he tries and fails to find the word he wants. [say]"The texture is all wrong."[/say]

Blinking at the change in his partner's tone, Remi lets the smirk fall from his lips. Reaching around to drag the hospital gown off of one shoulder, he lets it fall to his waist revealing the horrific patchwork of mutilations his skin had become. One shoulder was a knot of freshly healed skin which, given how many times the bone had to be set and re-set, had healed in a grotesque lump. The scars along his torso had healed too tightly in some places so that when Remi sat straight, lines of angry white beamed across his abdomen in protest. [say]"My legs are worse."[/say] He mumbles with a shrug, before flexing his right hand which was almost twice the size of the left thanks to how badly it had been shattered.

[say]"I won't complain about being able to heal quickly, but...it isn't always pretty."[/say]

[say]"I might have to just get you some knitting to go along with my typed notes, but I imagine they'll deem knitting needles a weapon,"[/say] Ronin says by way of apology. He's perfectly comfortable on the bed, though Remi isn't the only one not to get close to all that many people (it's been a while for Ronin okay), so he'd be lying to say similar thoughts regarding their proximity weren't flitting through his mind.

[say]"Well, if ever you feel like spicing up your current mealtimes, I'll be sure to tell the chef no mushrooms,"[/say] he drawls, unable not to find amusement in the way the Italian overtakes the wendigo in that moment. One flank of raw, questionable meat, extra bloody, no mushrooms.

If only things could remain so lighthearted. Ronin understandably sobers at the mottled sight of scar tissue that rakes across Remi's body, resisting the urge to reach out and touch it instinctively. [say]"Will it get any better?"[/say] he asks of the scars, and for a quick second he almost says I know someone who could help. But no. Bad Ronin - you're trying to get away from the Fae.

[say]"Also, for what it's worth with this meeting... I don't think Grimm stands a chance, personally. You deciding to go out the way you did has ironically worked in your favour."[/say]

[say]"God, me with a weapon. Who could imagine."[/say] The wendigo retorts dryly with a roll of his eyes. [say]"Well, I suppose you'll just have to read them to me on our next hunt. Probably for the best that way, or else I'd pronounce the words all wrong."[/say] He would anyway, just to annoy Ronin.

[say]"Perfetto."[/say] Remi trills in response as he lets his Italian hand drop into his lap that he might hold up his much more damaged one to answer Ronin's question with.

[say]"I don't think so. Not unless we cut or re-broke something."[/say] The wendigo replies, glancing down at his scrawny chest with a frown before pulling his hospital gown back over his shoulder. [say]"I was never given an instruction manual, but as far as I can tell, it isn't like the way they show it in the movies."[/say] No perfect Wolverine healing abilities here. Healed meant healed, it didn't mean picture perfect. [say]"Not that I have anyone to impress, so.."[/say] His thoughts turn uneasily to Isla, the juxtaposition of how perfect she was suddenly made all the more painful in relation to what he was now (a mess, instead of just a monster).

[say]'Oh?'[/say] Remi muses as he leans against the bedframe. [say]"Maybe someone could argue that I got worse under just her care. Without Isla around Grimm fitted me with the device that almost let me kill myself, so..."[/say] Remi raises his eyebrows suggestively. [say]"Historically someone could point out that I've been much better behaved with Isla around."[/say]

[say]"Clearly you are perfectly placid and harmless unless someone hands you a knitting needle,"[/say] Ronin agrees with a roll of his eyes. [say]"Maybe I can record myself reading them, and you can have them played to you in your room instead of... was it whalesong I heard last time I was in there?"[/say] Even a few minutes ago it would have felt horrific to joke about this, but now that they've planned, even if very vaguely, an ending to Remi's captivity, all bets are off.

Frowning a touch sadly to hear that this was it for the state of the wendigo's healing journey, Ronin nonetheless scoffs at his partner. [say]"Am I not worth impressing?"[/say] he wants to know. [say]"I'd have thought you'd want to be the best monster you can be for Isla, too."[/say] Because no, Ronin isn't blind, and nor is he a eunuch, and Isla is worth trying to impress.

Drawing up one leg to rest his chin on his knee and listen to Remi's hypothesis, the hunter's smile is both knowing and darkly delighted. [say]"Maybe someone could,"[/say] he agrees. [say]"Maybe someone was already considering it. Historically, one could also argue that your behaviour only got worse with Suuuusan around, even under Isla's care."[/say] Homebrew torture concoctions, anyone?

[say]"Listen, the real victims of 9/11 were the grannies who couldn't knit on planes anymore."[/say] The wendigo snarks back, and thank god neither of them lived in a culture where they could get cancelled for saying such things. [say]"Why, what do you want to talk about while we're hunting?"[/say] Remi wants to know, as if most of their hunts are nothing more than boring strolls through the park. As for the whale songs? Remi looks visibly embarrassed, which he conceals quite poorly by clearing his throat. [say]"I like whale songs, okay."[/say] He mutters with a huff. [say]"The songs travel thousands of kilometres and no two sound the same."[/say]

[say]"I don't have to impress you, I'm paying for you, remember? Not full price, but still."[/say] What's not to like about reprising a hooker joke? Oop, but there's talk of Isla again, and Remi can feel his cheeks flushing and his stomach twisting into knots. [say]"I mean, if this was a movie, sure. The monster and the beautiful doctor would get together, but this absolutely isn't."[/say] He mutters, trying to sound casual about the whole thing and opting just to shrug awkwardly.

[say]"It's true. Honey and vinegar and all that."[/say] The wendigo agrees. [say]"Just think of the expenses and resources wasted putting me back together again. Not to mention the cost of designing and implementing those shackles in the first place."[/say]

[say]"I suppose they could just learn to knit with their arms, but that could fill up a plane pretty quick..."[/say] From what Ronin remembers about it, the blankets that come from arm-knitting were huge. Not that he, you know, looked it up or anything. Shut up. [say]"I obviously want to talk about our horoscopes and your favourite cocktail, duh. We haven't done much bonding on our hunts."[/say] Other than literally saving each other's lives at times.

Speaking of bonding, Ronin doesn't expect embarrassment from the whale song, nor the admittance to liking it, nor the tidbit of extra information. [say]"Nerd,"[/say] he drawls, grinning at the wendigo, before holding up his hands. [say]"I suppose I shouldn't insult you if you're paying for my time though, huh? Even if it's only pittance."[/say] It's nothing, you're not a hooker, Ronin, let it go.

Still, what he says next isn't insulting, so he thinks he can get away with it. [say]"And why couldn't it happen?"[/say] he wants to know, shit stirring precisely because of the flush on the wendigo's cheeks. [say]"You know she likes you, right?"[/say] Sure, maybe it's only in a scientific sense, but arguably Isla has gone above and beyond science for Remi in the past few weeks alone, never mind the rest of his stay at the complex.

[say]"Not to mention the stall in progress thanks to all of this. The trust lost, the behavioural problems to expect in the future..."[/say] Ronin shrugs. Grimm won't be coming out well in this - he'll damn well make sure of it.

[say]"With their arms? God, their bones would snap."[/say] Remi says with a shake of his head, before snorting laughter. [say]"I'm the one with the ram."[/say] The wendigo says, of being an Aries. [say]"March 25th. Lemme guess...you're the..."[/say] Sticking out his tongue and closing one eye, Remi does his best to simply SeNsE what Ronin's might be. [say]"I bet you're the..fish."[/say] Because Ireland and water, get it?

[say]"Good one, fairy boy."[/say] Remi returns with a grin, before his smile deepens to the point of dimpling his cheeks. [say]"A pittance? So far there's been no sex and you're still Irish."[/say] He complains with an unimpressed shake of his head. [say]"You're lucky to be getting anything at all."[/say] Which he wasn't. Great joke, boys.

You know she likes you, right? has Remi's stomach doing a cartwheel in a way he doesn't precisely appreciate. Unable to meet Ronin's gaze, the wendigo instead glances down at the shoebox in his lap. [say]"Yeah but that's...it's like when patients fall in love with their therapists, you know? It's because of what they are, not who. I'm just a puzzle for Isla, and the fact that I'm better behaved for her just...I don't know, encourages it."[/say] Isla didn't like Remi for Remi, was what he was trying to get at. Although, being in this very private room was certainly an interesting twist...? Cue the emotional equivalent of kombucha girl.

[say]"Oh, so many behavioral problems in the future."[/say] Remi agrees with a snort. [say]"So when is this meeting happening..?"[/say]

Ronin tuts the other man, shaking his head. [say]"Come now, we've already had that conversation. I have two birthdays, remember? But if you want to be horoscop...ical about it, I'm the lion."[/say] Obviously. Have you met Ronin (in the world beyond this AU, obviously)?

Maybe he ought to have been oFfEnDeD about the fairy boy comment, but honestly Remi has a point, and besides which, he doesn't think he's ever seen the wendigo smile enough to cause dimples, so perhaps he's a little distracted by that instead. Not to mention the sudden talk of sex.

[say]"Listen, in undertown you're lucky to even get a prostitute like me. I even have all my own teeth, and no STIs,"[/say] Ronin boasts, because when there's no enough is enough when it comes to long-running whore jokes, clearly.

But talk swings back to Isla, and Ronin's raised eyebrows at Remi's reaction tells that he's giving himself away, like it or not. [say]"So you're saying if she made a move on you, you'd absolutely brush her off,"[/say] he hazards, fully believing that to be bullshit. As for the meeting, the hunter shrugs a bit.

[say]"They were waiting for you to wake up to check what kind of condition you were in. I imagine it will be happening in the next day or so. Not that you're invited, which, if you ask me, is just an insult at this point."[/say]

[say]"Shouldn't you be the twins then?"[/say] You know, 'cause there's two of them, so two birthdays?. Really great creativity, Remi. [say]"A lion."[/say] He huffs, smirking. [say]"Of course you are."[/say] Remi adds with a playful roll of his eyes fully caricaturing a massive mane onto Ronin in his mind.

[say]"Well, I've never seen any documentation to back that up."[/say] The wendigo protests, folding his arms accusingly across his chest. [say]"The no STIs I believe though, only because you've probably got a walnut for that, but all your own teeth? Come on."[/say] He gives his head a shake. [say]"You've been in far too many fights for that."[/say]

Far too many scenarios fog over the imagery of Ronin as a lion, and Remi finds himself swallowing uncomfortably in response to all of them. There's the classic your penis is in my hand for entirely routine reasons until it isn't wet dream, followed much more realistically by the memory of him having been close enough to kiss her, just hours ago. Funnily enough, it's the thought of kissing Isla, rather than her jumping his bones during an exam that makes him blush the hardest. [say]"I wouldn't want to hurt her."[/say] Remi says after a moment. [say]"And when I'm safe, i.e., sedated, I'm not exactly..."[/say] He glances surreptitiously towards his lap and shrugs. [say]"..up for much."[/say]

Inhaling and exhaling loudly purely as a segue, Remi bobs his head. [say]"Well, you'll have to let me know how it goes. "[/say]

[say]"Twin lions,"[/say] Ronin decides instantly, and his bright grin reveals that he does, in fact, have all of his own teeth. (Or, well, they're all teeth coloured, but who knows - maybe he's stolen some from his enemies or something). [say]"It's a chestnut, actually,"[/say] he huffs, [say]"and I'll be sure to bring my documentation along the next time you order me. Not that I expect a repeat experience based on how impressed you are so far."[/say]

Despite being an absolute shitfuck about the Isla situation, and despite Remi giving the exact reaction Ronin had been banking on, as the wendigo speaks the hunter finds his humour quite abruptly snuffed out. [say]"Ah,"[/say] he says, sounding apologetic. [say]"I didn't think about that. But hey, maybe it's something you can explore if that temporary cure does come about?"[/say] Quite when this became all about their sex lives, Ronin doesn't know, but he's more than happy to change the subject.

[say]"Nah, I just thought I'd leave you in the dark and you can get a surprise the day afterwards with whoever comes in to examine you,"[/say] he drawls, before the facade breaks and he offers Remi a small smile. [say]"I'll drop by as soon as I know,"[/say] he promises. [say]"Since the scientists will be busy... sciencing."[/say]

[say]'Twin lions."[/say] Remi repeats with a dramatic roll of his eyes, having to bite back on the urge to give Ronin's teeth a flick just for good measure. [say]"It's true. Though, given I've never had a prostitute before, I guess you could argue you're also the best one I've ever had?"[/say]

Mention of the temporary cure brings things far too close to the line of possibility for the wendigo, who abruptly shakes his head. [say]"No, no. They say not to mix business with pleasure for a reason, and I'm sure that extends to doctors pity fucking their test subjects while said subject is under the influence of experimental drugs."[/say] Remi would rather keep to his mundane and sad fantasies about minimal amounts of affection than even consider the possibility of what it would be like for either he or Isla to have to deal with the ramifications of anything happening. Maybe later his penis would object, but for now, this felt like a hard line in the sand.

[say]"That checks out."[/say] Remi snarks, very nearly uncoupling his legs to kick Ronin under the blanket. [say]"I'll probably find out before you can get to me honestly."[/say] He murmurs, gesturing around at his room. [say]"This'll go away if Susan has anything to say about it."[/say]

[say]"You haven't? Well, I suppose I am, then. We should both be very proud of that fact,"[/say] Ronin agrees, feeling far too comfortable on this hospital bed having what's arguably the dumbest conversation the two of them have ever shared. But then Remi is backing out of the opportunity to become intimate with the enigmatic Doctor Lockwood, and if it weren't for the fact that they've already spoken about his dick far too much today, Ronin might have offered an objection.

[say]"Mm, I suppose with this kind of meeting, no news is good news for you,"[/say] he agrees, trying not to wince at the thought of having to wait for something like this. [say]"Do you want me to take those for safe keeping until you know how things will be?"[/say] he asks of the shoebox gifts. [say]"I wouldn't want some asshat intern of Susan's to take it away from you, if the worst does happen."[/say]

[say]"No, what we should do is quite literally never speak of this again."[/say] Remi counters with a smile, knowing full well this joke was now part of the conversational canon forever and ever, amen. Also, what kind of prostitute says there's been too much dick talk? Honestly Ronin, pick a lane.

[say]"And the coat too."[/say] Remi agrees reluctantly. Ronin isn't wrong, but god if there isn't something so thoroughly depressing about being given a present and then having it immediately taken away. [say]"First though-"[/say] Reaching into the box, Remi snags something palm-sized before placing the top back on. [say]"One, just in case."[/say] Just in case Susan won and Remi never saw Ronin or anyone else ever again.

So, as awkwardly as it had started, so it would end. Both clearing their throats and glancing around, they started the ritual of wells, and lengthy exhales to signal that Ronin should probably go. Neither hugging nor shaking hands, both men awkwardly ghosted toward the door, stared at one another, and mumbled a goodbye. There was no see you later, because...well, there might not be.

It was hard to gauge the passage of time when your meals were fed to you intravenously and there was no window in your cell room. There had been two periods of whale noises since Ronin had left, but honestly, Remi thought it more likely that the machine was broken than that it had actually been two days. Were he not worried about losing the privileges that this room afforded him, he might have poked his head into the hall to see what the fuck was going on.

Instead, the wendigo paced, and paced, and paced. When his imagination got too loud, imagining scenarios with Ronin and Isla, of freedom and forever captivity, he'd do situps until he felt sick, or spin in a circle to achieve the same thing. Neither of these things helped, but it was something.