Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 05-08-2023

Well, it isn't Susan.

But it's not not Susan either.

The door beeps and hisses open in a hydraulic sigh that echoes the rather harried looking hunter who steps in, Ronin running both hands through his hair and sinking back against the wall. [say]"Isla's in charge,"[/say] he says, because who the fuck wants that sort of suspense hanging over them.

[say]"But Grimm is allowed to continue her research too, because it might allow the complex to catch other monsters."[/say] He all but spits that caveat out, rubbing at his forehead now. [say]"The difference is that Isla gets a final say on what's implemented. If she thinks it's inhumane, it doesn't happen."[/say]

He has no doubt that Grimm will just get clever about it, but fuck, it's better than things skewing completely in her favour, right? [say]"I, uh, also asked for them to trial something. If you want."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 05-08-2023

Remi, with his head against the wall like he's about to star in some 90s boyband montage, jumps at the sound of the door. Turning quickly, bracing himself for..well, whoever was going to come in, he's both concerned and amused to see that it's Ronin.

[say]"Ohhka-"[/say] Cut off by this next revelation, the wendigo lets his teeth click together around the end of the word. Objectively it's a rather amusing tableau, to see Ronin harried and dishevelled at one end of the room, and Remi in his hospital whites posing casually on the other, but for the wendigo at least, it's a little hard just now to step outside of himself and appreciate the moment for what it is.

[say]"Am I supposed to say yes or no without hearing it first, or...?"[/say] It's easier to be sarcastic in this situation than vulnerable, which is probably why there isn't much sass in the wendigo's voice.

[say]"You're hilarious,"[/say] Ronin informs the wendigo with a roll of his eyes, though he does manage a small smile in his direction. [say]"Sorry, it's just - have you ever seen Isla angry? Like really angry? Because I think I need a nap after all of that."[/say] Safe to say that the hunters were not the only ones who went to bat for the wendigo project and the ethics involved around it.

As for the trial, Ronin doesn't know how to word it appropriately, so he just kind of lets it tumble out. [say]"You come and stay in the hunters' area of the complex. I've got an extra room in my apartment, and it's already everything-proof. Only for a week or so, and obviously if you're not the best behaved pet that the science wing has ever seen, it all goes away. But... yeah. If you want. Isla got approval."[/say]

[say]"Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week."[/say] Which is funny because...you know, his situation was not always stable.

[say]"Angry? I mean.."[/say] He'd seen Isla annoyed with him, seen her tell of the interns, heard her hollering at Hinkypinky, but all of the Real Conversations typically happened out of his earshot. Shaking his head a touch warily, he looks toward his best and nods at it. [say]"By my guest."[/say]

It's a good thing he's leaning against the wall already, because if he weren't, he might have knocked over Isla's medical equipment. Instead, leaning back with a thud, he just...stares at Ronin, lips agape and barely breathing. [say]"Wh-"[/say] He mumbles, unable to articulate anything more in the moment. He was just getting used to not having cameras in his room, and now he was being allowed out?

Like, out out?

[say]"And...what do you think?"[/say] Ronin knew him arguably better than even Isla did. The hunter had seen him at his best and worst, had seen what would set him off, and what he could and couldn't reasonably be expected to control. Whereas Remi had no idea what living with Ronin and the other hunters might entail, Ronin would, so...[say]"Do you think it would be...safe?"[/say]

Scoffing under his breath, if it weren't for the fact that Ronin could actually be asleep in his own bed in a couple of hours depending on the results of this conversation, he might have taken Remi up on it. [say]"Mmhm,"[/say] he says in response to the wendigo's very surprised expression, and maybe there's a smile trying to sneak across the hunter's face. [say]"I threw it in at the end, I didn't expect anyone to run with it."[/say] Let alone agree.

What does he think, though? Now Ronin is definitely smiling. [say]"I think as long as we're smart about it, yes,"[/say] he confirms. [say]"We'd need to get an equivalent of a silver chain for you, so there's no accidental shifting."[/say] Because, as Remi has already likely surmised, sometimes it isn't up to him. [say]"And Isla is talking about moving to pills to subdue your hunger, rather than the IV. We'll need some other failsafes, and I doubt you'll be allowed anywhere outside the apartment without me, but... yeah, I'm confident about it."[/say]

Though Ronin made it sound like it was just a casual idea that everyone had agreed to because they wanted to get home before dinner, the wendigo doubted if it was that simple at all. Either the nuckelvee was more serious of a threat than he'd understood, and thus why his efforts meant more than they normally did, or the hunters had really gone to bat for him. Maybe both.

[say]"Yeah, that's what I was thinking."[/say] He mumbled, of the chain and a way to eat. Really, he was far too shell-shocked to do anything more than mutter to himself and nod absently, because all of this seemed far too good to be true.

[say]"..when?"[/say] Trying not to let the utter delight he felt snaking up the back of his throat contort the word too much, the wendigo bit the inside of his cheek hard enough to draw blood to keep himself grinning like an absolute idiot.

Remi trying so hard not to be delighted is a sure fire way to make Ronin beam at him, the hunter folding his arms across his chest just because this feels like a moment where a hug might happen without him meaning for it. [say]"Well, Isla already has the medicine in the works, apparently. So that's ready to go. I think they'd want you checking in morning and evening with her, just to make sure the dosage is right. And I'm pretty sure a silver choker would cover the rest, right?"[/say]

So... imminently, is the answer to Remi's question. What Ronin actually says, though, is, [say]"Soon enough that I'm going to have to rush to clear out my spare room for you."[/say] Yeah, now he's laughing, because it doesn't feel real. But it is, apparently. [say]"Grimm's face when it got approved,"[/say] he adds, shaking his head. [say]"I wish you'd have been able to see it."[/say]

Remi's befuddled expression turns thoughtful as he considers. It's a strange thing to have to try and reason out just what sorts of precautionary measures are needed so you don't accidentally kill someone, but Remi does his best. [say]"That would work. Something only you have the key to."[/say] He adds, though very likely that would have been the plan all along. [say]"Maybe some sedative on hand."[/say] And by some he meant every dose you can. [say]"Maybe some silver on your doors. I don't plan to go wandering, but.."[/say] Well, he had absolutely no idea what he'd be tempted to do.

Ronin's laughter is infectious, and though the wendigo has been trying his damndest to seem very casual and calm about the whole thing, he can't help the sunny smile that parts his lips so that he can laugh as well. [say]"I'd say no rush, but...I mean.."[/say] Rush. Please, rush. Dimpled and looking all the more dorky for it, the wendigo crosses his arms over his chest as well and glances around his room as if he meant to start packing. Of course there was absolutely nothing for him to bring, so...

[say]"I know you're tired and all...but any chance you could fuck off and then hurry back so I can get out of here?"[/say]

[say]"Oh, Remi. I have the fae after me, and a literal faerie godmother. There's already more than silver on my doors,"[/say] Ronin assures the wendigo, though all being well, Remi will see that for himself very shortly. Still, though, he nods and straightens up from the walls. [say]"I'm sure Isla has already written a list, and there's more on it than we've thought about,"[/say] he says.

And she's undoubtedly on her way here, now that the beauracracy of the situation is more or less under control. And so Ronin nods, because for all of their shitfuckery, there's absolutely no reason to be anything other than agreeable. [say]"I'll do my best. Hopefully they've got you ready to go by then as well,"[/say] he says, considering at least a friendly clap on the shoulder, but escaping the room before that thought can properly take hold.

In truth, it takes the best part of the day for all of the arrangements to be made, but there won't be any time for Remi to get too bored or frustrated. Isla does return, naturally just as giddy as Ronin but with the added wary practicality of a scientist. And she absolutely does have everything covered: by the time Ronin returns to fetch his new roommate, she's got a fully stocked kit ready for the two of them, containing (among other things) emergency tranquilisers, a hefty stock of little red pills and a few flares.

As for the wendigo, he's been examined and examined again to make sure, his clothes are as drab and plain as ever, but they're better than hospital whites, and the silver chain: necklace edition has already been fastened snugly around his throat. Isla has a key, and so does Ronin, and those are fashioned out of silver as well.

Other than anything the wendigo wants to fetch from his old formerly pepto-pink room, everything is in order.

[say]"I guess I'll watch what I touch."[/say] The wendigo murmurs a touch mischievously before his mind begins to wonder just what the hell Ronin's apartment would look like. Remi already had a good idea that it would be ridiculously neat and in order, save for one room. A room with lots of weird fae shit in it, if he was being blunt. Ronin had told him as much, but to see it for himself?

[say]"See you in a bit."[/say] The wendigo says stupidly, and as the door clicks shut behind Ronin, Remi really does play the part of a 90s popstar by leaning his back against it and doing a little happy dance he's thankful as fuck no one will see.

Even though seeing Isla feels awkward thanks to his earlier conversation with Ronin, the feeling is swamped by his excitement. Not even the addition of his latest accessory can dampen his spirit too much, especially when he's given a sweater with a collar tall enough to hide most of the silver from view.

[say]"None of this feels real."[/say] Remi murmurs, putting on the sunglasses Ronin had gotten for him. His eyes were the only other obvious sign of what he was, and even if some of the hunters approved of his efforts, Remi wasn't so naive to think they'd all be chummy with him. Holding the bag with supplies and medication while Ronin was forced to carry everything with silver or sedation in it, the wendigo strolled behind Ronin at first, before realizing that...well, he didn't actually have to right now.

Forced implies that Ronin isn't happy to do so, which the hunter absolutely is. He has everything in hand, including having signed some abject bullshit that says he's liable for the wendigo project's wellbeing for the next couple of weeks (he laughed at it - so did Isla), and so... yeah. They're free to go. And the walk through the science wing, sans chain or boiler suit or shackles, is weird for both of them.

[say]"It doesn't, does it?"[/say] the hunter murmurs, smiling over his shoulder to Remi before glancing somewhere behind the wendigo as well. [say]"Make sure you give a smile to Susan, now."[/say] Because Doctor Grimm is, of course, standing by to watch Remi make his escape, and even if he has to report back to Isla in the morning... pfff. It's still like walking out of jail, Ronin imagines.

For the first time, upon leaving the science and medical wing, they don't head out of the complex. Instead it's a straight walk to the left into the other side of the building, where the hunters are housed, taught, trained; where they eat, sleep and spend their downtime; where relationships are forged and social hierarchy rules the roost. [say]"There will be quite a few people, but not for you,"[/say] Ronin says by way of warning. [say]"We're just passing through the main corridor. Most won't even pay attention to you. But if you start feeling not great, let me know, okay?"[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 05-09-2023

Not only does the wendigo smile in Susan's direction, but he offers her a jaunty wave that would have looked much more charming had Ronin done it. Instead, it just looked a bit clumsy and sarcastic, which was actually much more representative of Remi anyhow.

[say]'Not for me?'[/say] Remi repeats in a low voice, suddenly wondering whether or not the way he walked or moved in general would give him away to those who didn't already know who he was by appearance alone. Pulling up the collar of his sweater and pushing his hands deep into his pockets, the wendigo kept his head low and unconsciously tried to simply fuse himself into Ronin's shoulder as they walked. [say]"Mmmmhm."[/say] Remi agrees, of letting his partner know, though he could never have anticipated what it would be like to be among so many other people.

The first thing he noticed was the noise. The sounds of breathing, of braying laughter, of dirty fingers on stubbly cheeks. Of the swish of the hunter's characteristic khaki pants as they walked by, of knuckles cracking and gum chewing. Then god, there was the smell. Cheap aftershave and even cheaper perfume clung to days-old clothing. B.O and the smell of dirt on boots. Old ketchup and the grume beneath fingernails.

Remi, who was used to the sterile environment of the hospital wing only ever had to encounter the general sounds and smells of the undertown population when he and Ronin were working their way to the surface. Up above there was enough space and distractions to mute the overwhelming serve from his senses, but down here, where everything was allowed to fester and hang like a fog?

[say]"...can we go?"[/say] Whispered, Remi rubs a hand over his ear as if that might help (it doesn't), before offering his partner a wide-eyed panicky gaze that he likely can't see given the wendigo's sunglasses.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 05-09-2023

[say]"Nah, they're just coming and going. This is the corridor that feeds into the rest of the hunters' lodgings,"[/say] Ronin explains. And it's as busy as he expects, especially for the time of the day. Obviously he's not privy to the mental overwhelm his partner is experiencing, especially since - to Ronin, anyway - it's just another Tuesday, but he does periodically glance back towards him. And (nodding to a couple of passing hunters he knows) when the wendigo speaks, he's already inching them towards some double doors labelled FIRE EXIT.

[say]"Short cut,"[/say] he tells Remi, shouldering his way through into a stairwell that's suddenly echoingly quiet. Huffing out a breath that feels far too audible, he offers his partner an apologetic smile and nods up the stairs. [say]"Well, you passed the first test,"[/say] he says, as if getting through the corridor without casualties is a cause for celebration (and it really is).

[say]"I'm up on floor 3,"[/say] he says. [say]"It's quieter where the apartments are - you shouldn't come across anything like that again."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 05-09-2023

Overwhelmed for so many reasons -- his freedom, new clothing, new sights and sounds, take your pick -- the echoing silence of the stairwell is only a minor improvement. Ronin's sigh reverberates through the wendigo's thoughts like a ricochet, and he finds himself only able to nod stiffly as he tries to get hold of himself.

[say]'It was just...I guess I didn't really know what to expect. I suppose the good news is that there was so much going on, I couldn't focus on any one thing."[/say] Which was to say, out of the cacophony of smells and noises and movements, no one thing drew the wendigo's attention. There had to have been half a dozen hangnails or blood lingering on shirt sleeves that he couldn't pinpoint.

[say]"It's.. been a while since I've been anyone's roommate."[/say] Remi murmurs, trudging up the stairs after Ronin. [say]"Any rules I should know about?"[/say] Like, if there's a sock on the door wait in the hall, or don't touch my special towels.