Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-19-2023

Having seen the show enough times to be able to watch it without really watching it, as Ronin chills his cheek and sips his whiskey, his entertainment is coming mostly from Remi's reaction. Even the suitably Italian disdain is endearing, and the hunter chuckles to himself as he splits his time between watching the TV and watching Remi. [say]"If they didn't need all those people, why do they all still have jobs?"[/say] he asks, probably just to make it worse.

Alas, all things must eventually come to an end, and as they finish one episode and drift into the next, Ronin's glass is empty and his brain feels appropriately fuzzy enough to head to bed. [say]"Stay up as long as you want,"[/say] he tells the wendigo as he rises to his feet and stretches. [say]"But we mortals need to go and catch some z's. I'll see you in the morning, yeah?"[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 07-19-2023

[say]"Exactly!"[/say] The wendigo comments brightly. [say]"Honestly, this is why the world went to shit if you ask me."[/say] It wasn't; Americana paper companies and their wasting of resources certainly didn't hold a candle to inexplicable supernatural invasions and cosmic interference, but just now in Ronin's apartment with Jim staring into the camera and shrugging, Remi thought it absolutely boiled down to something just that simple.

Knowing the moment was going to come and feeling it creep ever closer with every that's what she said, when Ronin finally did rise, it was all Remi could do to hold a smile on his lips. [say]"Yeah."[/say] He agreed, reaching for the remote and holding it awkwardly in his hands. Sitting perfectly still in the living room with Michael buzzing in the background, the wendigo listened with privacy-defying clarity as Ronin went about his bedtime rituals. Only when the wendigo heard something that sounded very much like a lock clicking into place on the other side of the hunter's door, did he relax.

Or, if not relax, stopped actively listening after Ronin.

Dread swept around him in waves, pulling at the balls of his feet before riding up his thighs and into his groin like frigid seawater. Though there was silver in all the appropriate places keeping the wendigo more or less contained in the apartment, never had he experienced such freedom. It hadn't really hit him until Ronin went to bed and Remi was left with the entirety of the night to do with as he pleased.

Only..

Peering doubtfully at the tv, Remi turned it off with a push of a button. Rising, he adjusted the pillows on the couch from where Ronin's body had intended them before just..standing in the living room, his head tilted to the side, just listening.

One might have expected Ronin to be a good deal more wary given who - or what - he's invited to live in his apartment with him. But for all the reassurances he's given Remi, the hunter wouldn't have said anything he didn't mean, and he truly believes his bedroom is capable of keeping out most of what goes bump in the night. (Or in Remi's case, stands creepily in the middle of the room and listens).

That coupled with two glasses of whiskey and the adrenaline from what had happened at the Sunset, and Ronin sleeps surprisingly deeply. It isn't until his alarm rouses him that he comes close to wakefulness, and even then it takes a long few moments to remember he's got a roommate.

Nevertheless, the Ronin who appears in his bedroom doorway after shuffling chains and moving locks is a far cry from the hunter who comes to check Remi out from the science wing. In a pair of sweatpants and slouchy tank top, he shuffles barefoot towards the kitchenette, all heavy tattoos and silver scars. [say]"G'morning,"[/say] he yawns out a greeting, wondering if he'll find Remi on the ceiling or something.

The change in Ronin's breathing is as noticeable to the wendigo as is the alarm that chimes out into the (relative) silence, such that Remi is already sitting up and staring at his door the way a puppy might when it hears its owner's key in the lock. Only when he hears the untangling of silver on the other side of the hunter's door does he rise and go out into the hallway himself.

It had been years since Remi had lived with anyone much less been free to move about the space he was in, such that much of the ease that had come between the pair the night before seemed to disappear in the cold light of morning. Still, for as awkward and intrusive as he felt in Ronin's space, the wendigo couldn't help but smirk at his partner. [say]"Uhm, who are you?"[/say] He wondered, glancing at Ronin's morning clothes and messy hair. [say]"I think you have the wrong apartment."[/say] For his part, Remi looked exactly as he had last night, which made sense given that he'd just prowled around the apartment before laying motionless in his room, staring at the ceiling.

[say]"Ah, get fucked."[/say] Ronin smiles, his accent making the slur sound almost affectionate given that it's still wrapped in sleep. Putting some coffee on to brew and holding his empty mug like it's some sort of lifeline, Ronin yawns and plops down onto one of the kitchen stools, itching at the stubble on his chin as he patiently waits to come to full wakefulness.

[say]"How was your night?"[/say] he asks conversationally, not needing to be 100% alert to realise that Remi looks much the same as he had when Ronin had seen him just a few hours before. [say]"I assume you didn't manage to find a way into my room to watch me sleep, but if you did, feel free to keep that information to yourself."[/say]

Grinning and getting up once the coffee is ready, Ronin pours himself some and then returns to his seat with it. (It's black and has at least three sugars). [say]"Sorry - I'm not used to company in the morning."[/say]

It was endearing in a strange way to see Ronin free of all the usual trappings Remi associated with him, and the wendigo would be lying if he denied sneaking glances at the various tattoos and scars that intermingled on his partner's painfully pale Irish skin. [say]"Sleep well?"[/say] Remi asks conversationally despite knowing the answer. If pressed he could have given a fairly accurate report of how many times Ronin had moved in the night, what his lowest and highest resting heart rate had been, and how many times he'd farted in the process of rolling over.

[say]"Oh, very eventful."[/say] The wendigo answers casually as he moves to sit opposite the hunter. [say]"Silver doesn't stop me from poking holes in your walls you know."[/say] He points out, before giving his head a little shake just in case it wasn't clear that he'd done no such thing. [say]"Besides, I was planning in selling that information I'll have you know. How else am I supposed to afford double the birthday presents and Christmas presents for you? And gods know what other fae holidays you're going to make up as well."[/say]

Resting his chin in one hand and watching Ronin spike his coffee with diabeetus, the wendigo just shrugs easily. [say]"Nor me."[/say] He agrees, before looking suddenly bashful. [say]"I know this is weird, and you can tell me to fuck off into my room any time you want."[/say] Remi murmurs. [say]"It still beats being back in the medical wing."[/say]

[say]"Mm, surprisingly,"[/say] Ronin says, resisting the urge to take a sip of his very hot coffee; he's been duped by it before. [say]"If I'm ever having trouble sleeping we just need to go and hang out at the Sunset while some guy gets blood in your mouth. Who knew."[/say] Grinning and blowing on the drink to safe scalding his tongue, it does feel strange to have the wendigo seated opposite him, but endearingly so.

[say]"Who says there's not silver in the walls?"[/say] Ronin wants to know with a bob of his eyebrows. (As if he could afford it). [say]"And I'll have you know that the very important holiday of equestrian-ballet is one of my favourites in the calendar, and it's customary to exchange gifts for it."[/say] Smiling and finally taking a drink of his coffee, it's still far too hot, and he regrets it instantly.

[say]"Mm? Oh, no, it's fine. I don't mind the company, I just might be at risk of not making much sense."[/say] He shrugs, before his blue eyes grow a touch amused. [say]"We're going on a shopping trip today,"[/say] he says, as if Remi might have forgotten. [say]"I don't think I've been on one of those for years."[/say]

[say]"Oh, did I not mention that? Yes, it's one of my wendigo powers."[/say] Remi murmurs with a sly smirk. [say]"It is why the walls and windows of my room are so thick in the medical wing. You might think it is to keep me from getting out, but actually it is so that my presence doesn't put them to sleep."[/say] This of course broke down when you considered the fact that no one fell asleep around Remi while he was allowed out, but...shh.

Remi's lips part as if he'd been genuinely caught out, and for a moment he truly can't read the expression on Ronin's face. He's as tempted to believe that there actually might be silver in the walls as to think it was bullshit, and something about not knowing was utterly captivating. But then there was talk of equestrian-ballet and if the wendigo had his own cup of coffee he'd have scoffed down at it. Instead, all he could do was roll his eyes and lean back in his chair, his fingers fanning out as if to say you see? [say]'Well I will make sure to tell my assistant to mark it down.'[/say]

Drumming his fingers on the table, Remi snorts a short huff of boyish laughter. [say]"You say that as if you make so much sense normally."[/say] He drawls. [say]"No, how could I forget. I've been spending all night thinking of the things we can buy with Grimm's money. We should bring them something back as a token of appreciation, don't you think?"[/say]

[say]"Wendigo powers, hm?"[/say] Ronin raises an eyebrow at Remi and tries another sip of coffee, despite it not having cooled down even a little bit. [say]"I'll have to start keeping a separate file for you. I bet Dr. Lockwood would love to hear all of these secrets you're sharing with me,"[/say] he drawls, before his expression abruptly sobers up. [say]"I don't have one, obviously,"[/say] he adds, in case Remi is worried. [say]"A file on you, I mean."[/say]

About to ask who Remi's assistant is supposed to be when he introduces the prospect of fetching the good doctors a souvenir, Ronin can't help but brighten. [say]"You know, they say that handmade gifts are better received,"[/say] he says. [say]"We could make them a little stuffed wendigo. You know, to keep them company since you aren't there."[/say]

Remi waggles his eyebrows to confirm that yes, there may just be wendigo powers that Ronin isn't aware of yet. (There aren't). [say]'One, I'm hurt you don't already have a file on and me-"[/say] The slight tilt of the wendigo's head very much suggests he believes this is bullshit and that somewhere back in Ronin's weird fae room there is undoubtedly a file on him. [say]"-and two, that you're just going to go running to Isla anytime I tell you something."[/say] Though he huffs indignantly, part of him knew that, for whatever pretense of being friends existed between the pair, Remi was who he was and some information was just...not up for remaining a secret.

Watching Ronin continually burn his lips on his coffee instead of brooding on the complexities of his relationship with the hunter, he cocks his head to one side wondering what sort of handmade gift Ronin had in mind. [say]"That's shockingly tame for you."[/say] He murmurs, his smile shaped like a frown yet still full of amusement. [say]"Here I thought you'd go for the old standby of shit in a bag or something."[/say] Though Remi wouldn't admit it, a little stuffed wendigo for someone like Isla actually seemed very sweet.

[say]"I was thinking some horribly raunchy dildo for Heimerdinger so that I could more effectively tell him to go fuck himself."[/say]

Listen, it's not a file if it's whispered into a seashell and kept on one of Ronin's bookshelves in his bedroom, okay? Some fae things just didn't need writing down on paper. (Don't ever let Dunder Mifflin know). [say]"I mean, I won't run and tell her that you have a crush on her,"[/say] he says with a sly smile, continuing to sip at his coffee and apparently just getting used to the heat rather than waiting for it to cool. [say]"She probably already knows."[/say]

Already seeming a touch more awake from the hit of caffeine and sugar, Ronin stretches his arms above his head, his back crackling happily as he sits up. [say]"You could stitch a hole in the wendigo and hide some shit in a bag in it. They'd be looking forever for the source of the smell,"[/say] he suggests. [say]"But I like the dildo idea. Undertown being what it is, I have no doubt you'll be able to find what you're looking for. We can shop around too, see if we can find Grimm a sense of humour."[/say]

Finishing his coffee and rising to his feet, Ronin sets his mug on the side. [say]"But first, I guess we better report in so you can get manhandled by your favourite doctor."[/say] And he can replace the tranquilisers they definitely broke by accident. [say]"Give me ten minutes and I'll be ready to head out."[/say]

Remi's reaction is a perfectly human one, and as he tries to cover up the fact that his jaw had nearly dropped down to the table with a cough, the flush on his cheeks is certainly much more telling than he'd like it to be. [say]"Listen,"[/say] he hisses defensively. [say]"It's...it's just Stockholm syndrome or whatever. She's the only one who's vaguely nice to me in the medical wing, and given that she regularly touches me - albeit with gloves and usually from a safe distance - while I"m naked, I'm not sure what anyone expects."[/say]

Eyeing the mixture of silver and black that warped with Ronin's reaching arms, Remi resumed drumming his fingers on the table. [say]"A sense of humour. Now that's a good one."[/say] Smirking and thinking that they'd surely be able to find something suitably horrible for all of his favourite torturers, mention of Isla had Remi falling silent again and not just because of his problematic crush either. It served as a reminder that, for all of the shitfuckery and ease between he and Ronin, this was all still an experiment which could go badly off the rails if they weren't careful.

[say]"Tick tock."[/say] Remi calls agreeably, before rising and slipping into his shoes to wait patiently by the door, still wearing Ronin's sweater.

It would be funny if it weren't so painfully true, and while Ronin can't stop himself from shooting the wendigo a shit-eating grin, he doesn't give him any further grief about it. [say]"A sense of humour and maybe something she can use to pull the stick out of her ass,"[/say] he adds for Grimm, padding barefoot back towards his bedroom to get ready. [say]"Yeah, yeah,"[/say] he calls behind him.

Eight minutes later - because he has no doubt that Remi has been counting - Ronin emerges clean and dressed, and it's only as he laces his boots and shrugs into his jacket that he realises the sweater situation. [say]"Not that I mind at all,"[/say] he says, nodding at the garment [say]"but I feel like Dr. Lockwood is going to have a few questions about that if she sees you wearing it."[/say] Not because it belongs to Ronin, but because there's still dry blood flecked all over it.

Glancing down and seeing only the blue sweater rather than the problem it posed, for a moment the wendigo's too-pale eyes are round with confusion before he understands. [say]"We could say it's pizza sauce? Surely she would believe you are a messy eater?"[/say] It's for the best though and Remi knows it, so with no small reluctance, the wendigo shrugs carefully out of the sweater before folding it with military-like precision and setting it on a chair. [say]'The blood has already set, so...no rush to have it washed.'[/say] He murmurs before reaching for the trenchcoat by the door that he'd worn out of the medical wing.

Taking a look around the apartment just in case he never returns - and honestly given how fickle Grimm and Hinkyponker are, it wouldn't surprise the wendigo if after meeting with Isla he was locked back in his cell room - Remi nods and shoves his hands into his pockets while waiting for Ronin to unbolt the locks.