Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 07-20-2023

Walking slowly out of the room, still waiting for Grimm or Hinky to appear and haul him back in by the band around his throat, it's with a look of dull bewilderment that Remi meets Ronin's gaze. [say]"Hi Starving, I'm Remi."[/say] The wendigo chitters conversationally, before nodding in emphatic agreement that they should absolutely gtfo as quickly as they could.

[say]"This all feels weird."[/say] Remi mutters, glancing over his shoulder once they're past the final guard and out into the 'daylight'. [say]"Did you ever see that movie, the Truman Show?"[/say] Running his fingers through his short blonde hair - though if it got much longer, no doubt someone would need to cut it - the wendigo glances suspiciously around at the hunters strolling on their way to or from somewhere. [say]"It feels like that. Like everyone is in on something big and I am just the idiot picking up on small pieces of it."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-20-2023

[say]"Shut the fuck up,"[/say] Ronin smiles right back, and he's still rolling his eyes as they head out of the compound and onto the streets of the undercity. In 'daylight' things are busier in some ways and quieter in others, but at least it doesn't seem as though they're likely to be crushed by titties and drunks fighting. (Not before midday, anyway).

[say]"Oh, he's heard of The Truman Show but he's never watched The Office."[/say] Unable not to grin, Ronin does his best to turn his sass-o-meter down a touch as he glances across at the wendigo. [say]"Mm, I know what you mean. The only thing I can say is that, if this is like that movie, we're both in the same boat. Maybe we can shove the set over together."[/say]

Heading down the walkways and steps until they're at street level, Ronin reaches into his pocket and pulls out a roll of what counts as money these days. [say]"So this is our budget. We must say thank you, Susan Grimm, for contributing these funds."[/say] One can argue that it's a grateful middle finger that Ronin thrusts up towards the compound above them. [say]"Anything to want to buy? Or shall we just... walk and see?"[/say]

[say]"There's the charm."[/say] Remi says through a smile, and in another life he'd have nudged his shoulder against Ronin's for good measure. Alas, here, with far too many eyes on them and with his strength what it was, the wendigo just snickered before shaking his head.

[say]"He has watched the talented Jim Carrey, yes. Maybe if he was in the Office I would have been more interested."[/say] Well Remi, you're in luck. Make it to season 7 and you'll see the grinch himself. [say]'You say that, but that is what you would say. Truman's best friend and girlfriend were in on the whole thing, you remember.'[/say] Remi points out with a tilt of his head.

[SAY]'Thank you Susan Grimm.'[/say] He murmurs solemnly, before looking properly around them. Having never been in this area of the undercity before, the wendigo can only shrug as he glances around. [say]"Is there anything you need? It's all fun to waste their money on gag gifts, but seeing as I won't be able to bring much back with me, if there's anything you're looking for..?"[/say]

Ronin can only hmmm ominously at that, because yes, wait and see. [say]"Good ol' Jim Carrey,"[/say] he says with a hint of nostalgia in his voice. [say]"You know, I heard a rumour that he got turned into a vampire when the world all went to shit? Him and... shit, what's his name - Adam Sandler."[/say] He doesn't know if it's true, but he really wants it to be. As for being in on The Remiman Show, Ronin raises his eyebrows.

[say]"So does that make me your best friend or your girlfriend? And is Isla the other one?"[/say] he wants to know, strolling between stalls at a ratty but pleasant enough open air marketplace. Boutiques are clustered beyond it, and he's reasonably sure all of their shopping can be done here given that it's where he goes if he needs anything.

[say]"Mm, me? I guess there are always things in the apocathery that I can use, so we could drop by there. And I think I need a new sweater. One of them seems to have bloodstains on it."[/say] With a sly grin, he pauses to admire a few trinkets - handmade out of pieces of wire and feathers. [say]"But you should think about yourself, too. Get some clothes or a deck of cards or a plant."[/say] He shrugs.

[say]'No kidding.'[/say] Puckering his lower lip, Remi considers this for a moment before grinning. [say]"If we ever saw them while we were out hunting, would you be tempted to let them go?"[/say]

As for what role Ronin had been cast in, the wendigo can only frown sternly at the hunter for a moment as he considers. [say]"Well, given what a bad hooker you've already proven yourself to be, I doubt if you'd be my girlfriend."[/say] The wendigo reasons with a tilt of his head. [say]"So I suppose that makes you the friend, and Isla the reluctantly cast girlfriend which.."[/say] Ruefully, Remi rolls his eyes. [say]"I suppose is pretty on brand."[/say]

Glancing around at the market stalls, all of which seemed to be mostly stocked with junk being trotted off as either invaluable or necessary for every citizen to own, the wendigo let his gaze grow slack. [say]"At the very least I do owe you a sweater."[/say] Remi confirms, pulling his stare away from what he thought? was a sundial (why though). [say]"Ehh..."[/say] Not only had it been years since he'd had any money to spend on anything, but it had been even longer than that since he'd even had the option of picking out comforting things for himself. [say]'..they'll just take it all away when I go back."[/say] He murmurs with a shrug.

[say]"Right, so that's...breakfast, apothecary, sweater shopping, and then we can round it out with dildos if there's money left over."[/say]

[say]"Fuck yeah I would,"[/say] Ronin says without hesitation, laughing as they stroll towards the next stall. [say]"I'd even see if we could get autographs. Unless, you know, they tried the whole killing us thing. Then I guess we'd have to just do our job."[/say] Sad, but true, the hunter looking exaggeratedly solemn about the whole hypothetical situation.

Raising his eyebrows to hear he'd definitely not be the girlfriend, Ronin nonetheless scoffs out another laugh. [say]"I'll be sure to tell your reluctant girlfriend that the decision was made based on how good a hooker you think she'd be."[/say] It's actually how bad a hooker he was, but hey, anything for shits and giggles.

Remi makes a depressingly good point, but fuck if Ronin isn't determined to let him enjoy being free just a fraction. [say]"And if this goes so well that you don't have to go back?"[/say] He raises his eyebrows. [say]"Or if I say I'm more than happy to keep anything you want to get in the room at my apartment? Come on - just one thing."[/say] He grins.

Breakfast, apocathery, sweaters and dildos it is, though, regardless of whatever else they might see, and Ronin nods to a pop up stand nearby selling breakfast sandwiches. [say]"That's a good start."[/say]

Laughing if only because Ronin's own laugh seemed infectious, Remi grins before animatedly wiping his amusement away. [say]"Yes of course, our job. Monsters bad. Must kill."[/say] He agrees sternly. [say]"Or, maybe we could bring one back with us to see if it's possible for someone to make Grimm laugh."[/say]

Hissing in a breath he didn't need but one which sounded Italian somehow, the wendigo kicks at a bit of nothing rather than thinking too hard about Isla in her capacity as reluctant girlfriend or hooker. [say]"Maybe that's why we keep getting assigned to the docks topside. Isn't that how Truman finally got away? Sailing across the water?"[/say]

Surprise, rather than murder, was quickly becoming Remi's go-to expression, and so it was that as he glanced over his shoulder at the hunter, it was with his eyebrows drawn together. [say]"I...I mean, I didn't think any of this was meant to be...permanent?"[/say] But of course, if this was the Remishow, Ronin might know things Remi didn't. [say]"Just a test to see if I could be let out. But do you really think Grimm is going to let me just..."[/say] Glancing around the market, he gestures vaguely around them. [say]"Not be under her thumb?"[/say]

Rolling his eyes reluctantly, Remi nods. [say]"Fine, fine. One thing. I'll keep my eyes peeled for something I want."[/say]

[say]"I feel like Jim Carrey is a master of his craft, but not even he can make Grimm crack a smile. Not even as a vampire,"[/say] Ronin says, drawing up to the breakfast sandwich stand and placing his order. [say]"I reckon she's a secret dom. That's where she gets her kicks."[/say] Scrunching his nose suddenly, as if realising that opened the door for her getting her rocks off to torturing Remi, the hunter shudders and squashes his imagination on that train of thought.

[say]"Oho, maybe. But I thought Truman's whole thing was having a fear of water? And even though I should given the whole siren thing, I'm not really bothered by it."[/say] Paying and accepting his sandwich, Ronin is evidently well-practiced at eating on the go, because taking a bite doesn't even break his stride.

[say]"Well no, it isn't,"[/say] he murmurs once his mouth isn't full of egg, bacon and hash browns, [say]"but that doesn't mean we can't imagine it might be one day, right? And Grimm lost that battle, remember - Isla is still in charge of your project, so she gets to make that call."[/say] Pausing to take another bite of breakfast, Ronin nonetheless looks smug to hear that Remi will try to find something for himself.

[say]"Besides,"[/say] he adds, a touch solemnly, [say]"I can't even imagine what it would be like to go back to the science wing after being able to walk around out here. And I think Isla knows it too."[/say]

Having opened just that door, the wendigo's amusement disappears in earnest this time as he makes a show of looking at the food cart's menu while Ronin orders. Fake best friend or not, sodomy and prostate-milking under the guise of "scientific study' was not the best breakfast topic. But hypothetical plots against him? Much better.

[say]"Oh, yeah that's right."[/say] Remi agrees thoughtfully, having forgotten that entire bit of the plot. [say]"Okay, so maybe the whole fae thing is your fear of water to keep you here."[/say] He suggests, eyeing the breakfast sandwich as if it was something putrid before falling in step with Ronin.

[say]"You'll forgive me for not being as keen to hang all my hopes on your imagination."[/say] The wendigo drawls, not wanting to be such a wet blanket about things, but having only just come out the other side of trying to kill himself, his tolerance for inflated optimism was low at best. Indeed, the hunter's comment served only to reinforce how the wendigo was feeling, and the following bitter [say]"Yeah, exactly."[/say] from Remi was evidence of just how dangerous hope could be for someone like him.

[say]"Anyway."[/say] If he was going to be shoved back into his cell, Remi wanted to enjoy every minute he was out of it. [say]"So this apothecary. Do they cater to...y'know, you?"[/say] Raising his eyebrows the wendigo glances surreptitiously around, unsure if he was allowed to say words like fae or changingly outside of heavily locked doors.

[say]"I don't look at your little pills like that, get over it,"[/say] Ronin tells Remi, smirking before taking another bite of his sandwich. [say]"And if it is the Fae thing keeping me here, they did a much better job of it than they did with the water set and Truman. Budget must have gone up,"[/say] he remarks.

With their cheerful(!?) conversation crashing back to the ground with the reminder that Remi's situation is neither permanent nor something to treat with optimism, Ronin finishes the rest of his breakfast in silence and discards the wrapper in a nearby trashcan, wiping his mouth with a napkin. [say]"Mm?"[/say] He tilts his head, wondering for a second whether Remi is asking if they cater for wendigo before he understands.

[say]"Ohhh. Well, yes, but only accidentally,"[/say] he says, nodding just past the market stalls to where a strangely lopsided shop with an even stranger runic marking on the sign shows the entrance to the apocathery. [say]"They mainly cater for hunters who like to make their own tools in the compound. And they sell medicines, too."[/say] Within said shop, however, they'll find about as much useless shit as useful.

Ronin at least seems to know what he needs, though, and as the bell tinkles over the door he waves a greeting to the old woman behind the counter, grabbing a wicker basket and heading away to browse. There are crystals, incense, candles, herbs and spices, as well as little boxes of aspirin, hayfever pills and chewing gum, just to give a brief flavour.

[say]"No, I don't think I will."[/say] Remi says just like in that meme, before grinning and looking around. [say]"Ah yeah. You can really tell that they have the budget now."[/say] He murmurs; given what a shithole absolutely everything was, he didn't really think he needed to make the point any more emphatically than he had.

Something in the way Ronin was able to scarfle down his breakfast, wipe his mouth free of ketchup and somehow maintain their conversation, Remi found infinitely endearing. If it wasn't for the horrific smell of egg and bacon, the wendigo might have said as much. [say]'Oh?'[/say] Intrigued, by how the apothecary could accidentally have the things Ronin needed, Remi followed him inside while trying to maintain as low of a profile as he could. Sadly, with his too-pale eyes and unfashionable trenchcoat, he sticks out like a sore thumb, though within the darkened shop, no one seems to be paying attention to much of anything save for their purchases.

Trying not to immediately gag on the heavily perfumed air, Remi doesn't have to hold his breath so much as he just blocks his nostrils with one hand. In one corner a woman is lighting several candles, which has the wendigo shying nervously away and earning a rather uncharitable look from said woman who frowns in his direction.

[say]"Is this one of those places where you touch a certain tile or do a little wave and you get taken into a backroom, or..."[/say] Remi whispers, as he comes to lurk stand silently behind Ronin.

[say]"Oh, yes,"[/say] Ronin whispers back to Remi, having filled the basket with a couple of smudging sticks, a chunk of clear quartz and a roll of red and white twine. [say]"It's something about the black rabbit coming at dawn - then they take you downstairs to the secret orgy."[/say] Grinning and heading past rows of scented oils, he grabs some peppermint and lavender and then moves swiftly on to get some ibuprofen, a bottle of cola and a package of downy feathers.

[say]"I think that's pretty much it for me,"[/say] he decides, glancing back at Remi. [say]"Anything you like?"[/say] he asks, guessing the answer will be an emphatic no as he approaches the counter, making easy small talk with the old woman while she rings up his purchases.

Peering at his friend and finding that once again thanks to his existence as a lab rat he had no idea if Ronin was joking or not, the wendigo could only wince before trickling along behind the hunter like an unhappy shadow. Grimacing and immediately shaking his head - if there was anything in this store Remi might have liked to look at, the smell was enough to deter him - the wendigo smirked at the back of Ronin's shoulder as the hunter made small talk.

Only once they were outside and the world wasn't screaming at him through his nostrils, did the wendigo exhale. [say]"You two make a cute couple."[/say] He says of the old woman. [say]"I can see the allure of the orgy now."[/say] Grinning, Remi rubs his nose across one palm as if trying to remove each and every lingering atom from the shop.

[say]"Gods, I'll say this for the medical wing, it doesn't smell."[/say]

Happy with his tools and sipping at his cola, Ronin joins Remi outside and jabs him in the ribs with his elbow since his mouth is full. [say]"We do? You are so sweet. You know, she's actually a gorgeous demigoddess of the moon, but she only looks that way to people who might be able to handle her sexually. Let me guess - you saw an old woman?"[/say] He drawls, his purchases safely stored away in a paper bag.

[say]"You mean it doesn't smell like anything but bleach, blood and steel,"[/say] he corrects of the medical wing, heading back amongst the stalls to seek out sweaters. [say]"Do you know that your sense of smell is a huge trigger for memory?"[/say] he continues conversationally. [say]"So maybe the next time you go into a place like that, you'll be reminded of this wonderful day."[/say]