Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 07-26-2023

In response, Remi meets Ronin's gaze with just as little expression, before nodding emphatically that yes, yes Ronin should have been aware of it because it was obvious. [say]"Let me guess, you brush your teeth from side to side, don't you?"[/say] The wendigo asked in a way that suggested yes was both the wrong and the stupid answer.

Groaning at the thought, something suddenly occurs to the wendigo that has him both smirking and wincing at the same time. [say]"Did you ever see that movie with uh...who played Batman...but the douche Batman?"[/say] Christian Bale, was the actor his rolling wrist was trying to conjure out of thing air. [say]"Anyway, he was in some movie where he was horribly sleep-deprived or something, all I remember are airplanes and machines, but in the role, he got so thin for it."[/say] Still just in a trench coat with nothing beneath, the wendigo presses against his stomach and wrinkles his nose. [say]"I am starting to feel like that."[/say] Asking for asking Isla? Pressing his teeth together, Remi shakes his head doubtfully.

Turning to pull down two cups for their coffee, he glances at the fridge. [say]"Milk?"[/say] He suggests, before snickering as he fills the cups. [say]"Who says I would permit someone like you in my coffee house? Unless this is one of those setups where you overlook certain things happening in my backrooms and I give you tips about what I know?"[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-26-2023

[say]"Bold of you to assume that I brush my teeth,"[/say] Ronin says with a sly smile that has decided self-deprecation is the way to go here. Regardless, he's reaching into the fridge for the milk at the wendigo's request, setting the carton down ready for him to add the finishing flourishes to their perfectly perfect coffee in their specially selected cups. (Ronin will never tell, but he quite likes the cups).

[say]"Robert Pattinson,"[/say] Ronin says instantly of douche Batman, but as Remi continues, it's with a soft ohhh that he realises the Christian Bale of it all. [say]"Is it because you're not able to eat like a... well, a regular wendigo?"[/say] he wonders softly, never having thought to ask by now. [say]"Like if you were given free reign over the tastiest politicians up top, would you suddenly hulk out?"[/say]

Alright, so it shouldn't be as amusing as it is, but honestly, Ronin can think of at least a couple of people who deserve to be eaten. Regardless, as if realising for the first time that Remi is still naked under his coat, the hunter meanders off to fetch a few of the clothes that had been left in the apartment (and it had taken a lot of persuasion to get them, so you're welcome).

[SAY]"With your breath, I might have guessed."[/say] The wendigo snarks back almost instantly, before glancing at Ronin with a smirk. Reaching for the milk and pouring it in, you guessed it, a slow circle, he hands one cup to Ronin while keeping one for himself.

[say]"Honestly I'm not sure. I only saw the wendigo that...made? me briefly, so I can't say whether or not he was as under-muscled as I feel like I am."[/say] Remi says, wrapping his fingers around the cup and savouring the heat. [say]"Politicians, mm?"[/say] Thoughtfully, the wendigo considers as Ronin disappears, only to come back with a small bundle of clothes. [say]"I wonder if they taste-oh."[/say] Finding the gesture shockingly sweet, Remi's smile is wide and instant as he reaches out for the clothes. [say]"Thanks, I'll just..."[/say] Looking down the hallway where he presumed the bathroom was, he'd disappear to change before returning to grab his cup of coffee.

Wandering into the living room and sitting down in what he thought of as his spot, Remi adjusts the cup in his hands a few times before glancing from the TV to Ronin as if wondering if they were actually going to watch The Office. [say]"So...how did Morgen know about me?"[/say] He wonders in a low voice, eyeing the hunter before looking down into his cup.

Exchanging clothes for coffee, Ronin finds himself momentarily caught in the sweetness of Remi's unexpected smile, thankful for the cup so he can do something with his hands, and he smiles after him in return as he leaves to go and change. [say]"I bet politicians taste like old newspaper, or like... boiled meat,"[/say] he says with a scrunch of his nose. Ronin isn't a wendigo, but if he was, he bet he'd find politicians unpalatable. [say]"But they'd still probably fill you up."[/say]

You know, like the leafy greens you have to eat as a kid.

When Remi returns, clothed once more, Ronin slouches into his spot on the sofa and instantly turns on the TV, as if to say that yes, yes they were indeed going to watch The Office. Well, with a splash of added Morgan, of course. [say]"Well,"[/say] he says honestly, [say]"I mentioned you when we first started working together, just in case I needed any help if things went sideways."[/say] I.e. Before I knew whether you were going to try and eat me.

[say]"Then, obviously, there was the stuff with the siren, and the nuckelavee. I suppose Morgan must have started sniffing around you on her own after that."[/say]

[say]"One day we will have to arrange for a proper taste-test."[/say] Remi calls from the bathroom as if what he was suggesting was sampling appetizers for an upcoming party rather than murder for the sake of murder.

Raising his eyebrows if only because the days of tense beginnings between the pair seemed so long ago now, comfortably sat in Ronin's livingroom as they were, the wendigo nods slowly. [say]"Jokes on you, I guess."[/say] Remi says humourlessly. [say]"So...and I don't mean this lightly, but she does not seem all bad?"[/say] Rather than a judgement, the wendigo means it more as an invitation to elaborate if the hunter cares to. Sure, Morgan had somehow kept his mouth shut and given him a few scratches, but it seemed as though she could be there to help Ronin out when he needed it. An unfair dynamic to be sure, but she was no Grimm.

Or..?

[say]"Well, she stinks of earth and whatever perfume it would take to cover that up, I am sure I could smell as well."[/say] The wendigo says offhandedly as if keeping tabs on Morgan wouldn't be an issue for the likes of him.

[say]"That it fucking is,"[/say] Ronin agrees, and though there hadn't been any humour in Remi's voice, his smile is still relatively warm as he glances across at the wendigo (and his friend now, in earnest), and he raises the cup of coffee as if in a toast. And the question, while uncomfortable, is still a valid one, and the hunter moves to pause the TV so they might be able to talk properly.

[say]"She isn't,"[/say] he says softly. [say]"I suppose that's what makes her so dangerous, in a lot of ways. The Fae can't tell outright lies, but that means they're very good at finding double meanings or loopholes to get what they want. And a pact with them is binding. They can't break their end of the bargain, but you can't break yours either. And I wouldn't be surprised if Morgan is capable of giving anyone exactly what they wanted, for the right price."[/say]

Furrowing his brow, Ronin clambers to his feet and heads over to his bookshelf, perusing for a moment before drawing out a battered hardback. It looks old, even for world-going-to-shit standards. [say]"There's some information on her in here,"[/say] he says, offering out the book to Remi. [say]"It's all 'myth', if you like, but I've seen a lot of it first hand. Shapeshifting, illusion, healing magic, enchantments..."[/say] He shrugs, sitting himself back down. [say]"If she didn't want you to know she was there, I don't know if even you would."[/say]

Raising his own cup, though he doesn't drink from it, Remi does inhale the scent as it steams up toward him. Even with his supernatural senses, the coffee doesn't smell quite as good as he knows it should, though the wendigo is happy to let his memory suffuse the moment with all the trappings of sitting down to enjoy a good cup of coffee with a friend.

[say]"Say more about that-"[/say] The wendigo interrupts, one hand gesturing as if he might pause Ronin's explanation the way the hunter had paused the Office. [say]"Binding. Do you die? Are you...physically incapable of it?"[/say]

Narrowing his eyes only slightly as he turns properly toward Ronin, now actually sitting comfortably in the chair, the wendigo tilts his head. [say]"Was that aimed at me?"[/say] He wondered, his voice free of sarcasm though full of suspicion.

Taking the moment to look Ronin over as he rose and went to the bookshelf if only because it still struck Remi as rather novel to see the hunter in Home Mode, the wendigo shifts to set down his coffee in order to accept the book. It was one of those items that made you feel things to hold it, sort of like you needed to pee or maybe to do a hundred jumping jacks. Flipping through the pages with intentionally delicate fingers, Remi's eyebrows raise as his lips pull down.

[say]"Well if this is all..you know, from across the pond, do you think she has ever actually encountered many wendigo?"[/say]

[say]"Mm, binding--"[/say] Ronin nods, having paused to take a sip of his coffee (and gods, Remi, it really is just as fucking good as you remember it - at least Ronin believes so). [say]"In most cases with fae, yes - I'd say you are physically incapable of going against the terms of the pact, depending on what it was. And if you do manage to break it, I don't know if it would kill you, but it would certainly invite all sorts of bad juju aimed directly your way. All the world hates an oathbreaker."[/say] Another fucking toast to that.

As for whether anything was aimed at Remi, Ronin regards his friend softly from over the rim of his coffee cup. [say]"It wasn't not,"[/say] he murmurs. [say]"Striking a bargain with Morgan feels very tempting when you're at rock bottom, put it that way."[/say] It's how Ronin had all but pledged his body and soul to her, after all.

Peering at the book with an expression that's a cousin to fondness, Ronin furrows his brow and shakes his head a bit. [say]"She's been around a long time, but they certain't aren't common,"[/say] he agrees. [say]"And even if she has encountered wendigo before, I doubt any were like you."[/say]

[say]"I wonder..."[/say] New to all of this fae nonsense and not wanting to be entirely ignorant of things, something occurred to Remi that he chewed on for a moment before speaking. [say]"Well, so if the fae cannot lie, but can find ways around lying, I wonder if the same cannot be said of pact breaking."[/say] Depending on the pact, Remi supposed.

Looking as though he absolutely didn't believe the hunter, (and he didn't), the wendigo contemplated his own cup for a moment. [say]"You mean, like when you have been bound in a cell for more than half a decade...? When the only two people you care about and who care about you have to risk their personal and professional lives almost constantly when they are near you...?"[/say] Rock bottom for Remi was three weeks ago, but he was still a stone's throw from his lowest point.

Clicking under his tongue at the same time as he made a finger-gun motion at the hunter, Remi grinned. [say]"So you are saying there's a chance."[/say] He says, his accent ruining the impression.

[say]"Oh, absolutely,"[/say] Ronin says with a ready nod, sounding impressed because yep, that's absolutely how things go with the fae. [say]"It's usually one of those be careful what you wish for situations, where the fae can get what they want from you without really delivering on what you asked."[/say] He shrugs his shoulders. Not always, but trickery is kind of a given for them.

Humming gentle agreement with the exact sort of situation Remi was describing, Ronin tries not to dwell too much on the truth of the wendigo's words - especially being one of those Remi cares about. Instead, taking another sip of coffee and shifting to get more comfortable on the sofa, he tries a wry smile. [say]"Something like that, yeah,"[/say] he says, only to be caught very much off guard by the (terrible) impression, the hunter's laughter ringing around the living room.

[say]"Alright, first of all, fuck you. Second, feel free to read the book or watch TV, but I'm putting this show back the fuck on."[/say]

[say]"Sounds like you just need to be clever then."[/say] The wendigo suggests as if he might just be the first person in the history of making pacts with witches to have ever thought of such a thing.

Wondering for a second if he was going to be sassed about having admitted that Ronin was someone he cared about, or possibly for the hunter to try and deny it, the wendigo opted to interpret his partner's silence as friendly agreement. Grinning victoriously as he's cursed at, Remi does peruse through the book, at least until someone on the TV show is trapping a bat over the head of the other and someone is pretending to be a vampire.

A coffee or so later, there's suddenly an unhappy buzzing coming from the wendigo's coat, and from Ronin's walkie-talkie. [say]"crrr-onin? You there? Where the fuck are you, man?"[/say]

With little more than a glower for the clever comment, Ronin leaves Remi to read his fairytales while he enjoys his coffee and his shows, the hunter evidently finding the humour in The Office much more to his taste. And he thinks Remi enjoys it too, if the surreptitious glances up from the book are anything to go by, and when the walkie-talkie crackles, gods, but Ronin has almost forgotten they had them.

Rising to his feet as if he'd been waiting for something like this (he hasn't, he's just paranoid about shit hitting fans), the hunter sounds just peachy when he answers, though of course he's got the past hour of relaxation to thank for it. [say]"Haven't long gotten back to undertown,"[/say] he replies smoothly. [say]"I stopped by my apartment to resupply. What's up?"[/say]

[say]"Resupply?"[/say] Comes the voice on the other end, and Remi can't but think that it sounded like an NPC in a video game. [say]"For what? They're saying you went AWOL after you didn't check The Asset back in."[/say] The voice continues.

Sitting up immediately, eyes wide and already glancing toward the door, Remi gently closes Ronin's book and begins to get up.

[say]"The patrols said they saw you two heading out farther after the attack."[/say] The voice adds, sounding somewhat doubtful but cautious, as if not wanting to accuse Ronin of anything right off the bat.

[say]"For supplies,"[/say] Ronin says, having the audacity to sound irritated about it. [say]"Used a lot of salt and iron on the ghouls that flooded the stadium. We did a loop afterwards in case of stragglers, found a few near the entrances to undertown."[/say] Bobbing his eyebrows at Remi and knowing he knows to get his booty moving, the hunter makes a point of loudly rattling his keys as he heads for the door.

[say]"Coast was clear, but I thought I'd check the tunnels with The Asset after I restocked, just in case. If it's a problem I'll check it back in now and go alone."[/say] Luckily there's already an ample supply of salt and iron in his pockets, so he thinks little of plunging his fingers into it to coat his hands with a fresh dusting, all the while holding out the length of silver chain so he can 'leash' Remi.

[say]"Why, has something else happened up top? Do you need us?"[/say]