Court of the Fallen
endless wasting - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: endless wasting (/showthread.php?tid=8143)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

endless wasting - Alys - 04-04-2023

The only thing that made the Tundra bearable, in Alys's opinion, was that it was Flowerbirth. The snows were melting, and fragile grasses were beginning to grow from the frigid remnants, their heads peeking shyly above the icy melt. In a month, the land would be covered in summer grasses for a short, albeit beautiful, time. Aside from that, though, it was a wasteland, and Alys marveled that anything - even grass - could weather the cold.

The young woman pulled her cloak more tightly about her shoulders, scowling at nothing in particular as she trekked onward. The only reason she had bothered leaving the Citadel was a matter of pride; she'd recently learned just how weak she was, and she was determined not to find herself in such a predicament again. As such, this morning she had donned warm breeches and boots, several layers of shirts, a coat, and her cloak, and forced herself out into the frigid waste for a walk.

If she could survive this, she could survive anything. Right?

RE: endless wasting - Hotaru - 04-05-2023

Perhaps in contrast, the other woman out on the Tundra today has weathered its extremes enough times to trace these distant, mountainous peaks even in dreams. The cold does not bother her any longer, not since the Academy's dormant blessing had been reinstated among the Headmistress and her students. Even before, her heart had belonged to these regions of ice and snow, and Halo's frozen winds were more comforting than any suitor's soft hands. Combined, it allows for a freedom of attire most Halovians cannot indulge in; flowing skirts, sheerer blouses, fewer layers - and beautiful leather gloves meant for dexterity instead of warmth.

The longbow on her shoulder is the only visible addition to her frame that marks her as hunting; her other weapons are undoubtedly more powerful, but they are small and more easily concealed. While it's easier to track and kill her prey in her feline form, Hotaru has admittedly been craving the challenge of stalking with only human eyes and senses to guide her - senses that alert her to the solitary figure out on the tundra with relative ease, picking out the dark shape on a backdrop of white.

Pupils shrink and irises bleed gold as hawk eyes overtake human, allowing her to examine the woman from a distance. Curious...she doesn't recognize the stranger. Intrigued now, the Valkyrie changes course to cross paths with the other woman, raising her hand to flag her down until they are within speaking distance. It is refreshing to encounter someone her height, short enough to comfortably meet eyes with; her own appraising but expression intentionally neutral, inviting. [say]"What are you tracking?"[/say] She's aware the woman has no visible weapon - certainly nothing strong enough to take down any worthwhile prey - but she words it to entice the woman into explanation without coming on too strong.

RE: endless wasting - Alys - 04-06-2023

A cold wind whipped at Alys's dark, wild curls; even in Flowerbirth, the chill was enough to set the woman's teeth to chattering, despite her many layers. She cursed herself a fool several times over. She could have gone to Torchline or to some other, similarly warm clime, but no - she'd elected to see what Halo had to offer.

Alys paused in her trek to consider her options. She could turn back, hop on a skyship, and sail somewhere warmer in the south. But there was a certain stubbornness to the woman, and the thought of tucking tail and giving up left a sour taste in her mouth. She was not stupid enough to believe that she could conquer the tundra, precisely, but she was prideful enough to think that perhaps she could prevent it from conquering her.

In any case, the sight of another person in the frigid wasteland that stretched on and on was, if not welcome, at least interesting. Alys cocked her head to one side as the person approached, their hand raised in greeting. As they grew closer, Alys was able to discern that the stranger was a woman of similar height to her, with golden hair and mismatched eyes. She was a beauty, the stranger, but what caused Alys to raise her brows in surprise was not the woman's looks, but her dress: she wore clothes lighter than Alys would have expected, and the young woman couldn't help but wonder how the stranger managed not to freeze.

[say]"Tracking?"[/say] she said by way of greeting, confusion causing her brows to knit together, the slightest frown appearing on her face. [say]"I'm just taking a walk. How are you not freezing?"[/say] she asked then, a sudden addition that she couldn't quite bite back, her voice laced with jealousy and longing. Another burst of wind caught her cloak, and Alys pulled it tighter against herself, trying and failing to suppress a shiver.

RE: endless wasting - Hotaru - 04-11-2023

The wind is particularly strong today, and the woman's dark curls are whipped into a veritable frenzy because of it. It obscures her features intermittently, but as the two convene Hotaru is able to peer past to the disgruntled expression beyond. Definitely not a Halovian then. The foreign-made winter garments are even more obvious, and the envious question is the final nail in the proverbial coffin. Hotaru laughs lightly, and slowly - telegraphing her movements - reaches for the woman's shoulder. A touch of magic is all it takes; doubling the woman's natural body heat with her fire to warm her from within, and creating a small bubble of air around them to dispel the bone-cutting winds. Both blonde and brunette tresses still immediately, and though Hotaru takes her hand back, she keeps her magic active for both elements to allow the woman to warm back up.

[say]"Combination of things. Halovian garments are much warmer, and I run a magic academy that blesses its students with cold resistance. Of course, my own magic is quite helpful,"[/say] she admits easily, gesturing loosely with one bare hand to the general state of being she has created around them. Extending that hand, the Valkyrie smiles, always happy to show off and help someone along the way. [say]"Hotaru. Where are you from?"[/say]

RE: endless wasting - Alys - 04-11-2023

Alys tensed as the stranger reached for her, but the slow movement reassured the young woman enough that she stood, still and rigid, and allowed the other woman to rest a hand on her shoulder. The relief was immediate; her body temperature rose, and the wind whipping around her slowed to a crawl. She pushed her dark curls from her face and shot the stranger a grateful smile. She was so thankful for the reprieve that she even forgot to be offended by the woman's light laugh.

At the mention of the magic academy, Alys perked up; she'd heard a great deal about the Academy during her time in Halo, and to meet someone from the Academy by chance seemed a great deal like providence. When the stranger's name was revealed at last, Alys's brows rose in surprise. She must be having a very blessed day to have come across the Academy's leader!

[say]"I've heard of you!"[/say] she exclaimed. [say]"Tal and Deimos told me you run the Academy. I'm Alys, by the way,"[/say] she added, belatedly remembering that Hotaru had extended a hand and asked after Alys's origins. She took the proferred hand and shook it firmly. [say]"Alys Glasse. I'm from the Hollowed Grounds, originally, but I haven't been back there since the barrier fell."[/say]

She is far more beautiful when not shivering and sour, and her gratitude is as warm as the magic Hotaru can feel sliding through her own veins. Not nearly so warm as the delight of one's own ego being stroked through virtue of notoriety of course, which comes moments later. [say]"I hope they kept their sass to a minimum, knowing those two,"[/say] she laughs, shaking her head with no small measure of fondness.

The woman - newly dubbed Alys - has a firm grip, and Hotaru returns it. [say]"Pleasure, Alys. And truly I don't blame you for not returning, I left my shop and home behind as well once the barrier fell."[/say] Though an Outlander herself, she'd not stayed long once the Voice had implemented her portals. [say]"Are you staying long? I can help you find quality clothes for your next walk if you want to invest in one or two outfits."[/say] The sparkle of humor in her eyes makes it clear she is poking light fun at Aly's lack of preparation, but it is the good-natured sort.

RE: endless wasting - Alys - 04-11-2023

Alys laughed with Hotaru, thinking of her conversations with both Tal and Deimos. [say]"They were both quite complimentary,"[/say] she assured the woman. [say]"Actually, they pointed me to your Academy for help with my magic."[/say] It was a grudging addition; she didn't like admitting to her failure when it came to her magical abilities - or lack thereof. It was far easier to just bury her magic and pretend it didn't exist.

[say]"You were in the Grounds before the barrier fell?"[/say] asked Alys with interest. [say]"What sort of shop did you run there?"[/say] She wondered if it would be a shop she was familiar with, if their paths would ever have crossed before. She couldn't remember Hotaru, but that didn't mean much aside from that Alys wasn't the most friendly of people. She could easily have seen Hotaru in passing without ever saying as much as a hello.

[say]"I'm not sure how long I'll stay,"[/say] Alys admitted. [say]"But I would certainly welcome the help."[/say] She offered a rueful smile; she'd been too cold only a few moments ago to worry about her pride and dignity. If Hotaru could offer assistance that could help Alys to stay longer, then she'd gladly take it. After all, her cards had spoken of challenges to be overcome in Halo if she stayed, and Hotaru - one way or another - could be the solution that Alys sought.

Hotaru can't help how her eyebrow rises, clearly disbelieving even as humor twitches in the corner of her lips. [say]"A rarity, then. I shall not do them the same favor - once you're close to them, they are like burrs stuck to the seams of your undergarments,"[/say] she remarks dryly, though her smile only deepens subtly in the corners to betray her affection. They are her burrs after all. Fondness is replaced with intrigue at the continued interest in her Academy, and her expression becomes more appraising. [say]"If you are interested and they approved enough to recommend you, that is enough for me. I'd be happy to take you on as a student - we train every season, and we offer lodging, theory lectures, and a magic-oriented library."[/say] Some students preferred to live on the grounds, while others did not even reside in Halo. She doesn't mention anything about Alys' current power or control; many of her first students had felt similarly intimidated, wondering if they were good enough to attend, and so she has always left that conversation to the wayside in favor of inspiring interest first.

[say]"I was a seamstress, Kaito Clothing,"[/say] she shares freely. Many have already contacted her to make their dresses for the seasonal ball, and while she runs the Academy and oversees her spa now, she hadn't been able to resist taking on the commissions.

Turning, Hotaru gestures elegantly with one hand to invite Alys to walk alongside her. [say]"Well I hadn't started my hunt yet, I'm happy to transition to shopping instead. I can get you far better prices if I'm with you anyway."[/say] The Valkyrie is a cutthroat negotiator, and most won't even bother bartering with her anymore given their lengthy experience with her stubbornness.

RE: endless wasting - Alys - 04-12-2023

Alys's expression mirrored Hotaru's: her eyebrows raised, not in disbelief, as that of her new friend, but in confusion. Hotaru's tone did not match her words, and after a moment, Alys's brow furrowed instead in the slightest of frowns. She did not fully understand how one could say one thing but mean something entirely different, but then, she'd had few friends in her lifetime. Perhaps such talk of one's friends was, in fact, a show of affection. [say]"They were kind to me,"[/say] she offered carefully, afraid of somehow overstepping.

But then talk turned to the Academy, and Alys perked up immediately. [say]"It sounds lovely,"[/say] she admitted wistfully, but the frown on her face betrayed her continued confusion. [say]"But - just like that? What do you ask in return?"[/say] It was a question asked, not with suspicion, but with bemusement. In Alys's mind, something was always traded for another. And yet, Hotaru had made no mention of payment.

Kaito Clothing sounded familiar, and in this, Alys's brow smoothed slightly. [say]"Oh, I think I heard of your shop,"[/say] she said. [say]"But I've never been much for shopping. As you can probably tell,"[/say] she added wryly, thinking ruefully of the poor clothing decisions that had led to Hotaru's gentle teasing only moments before. If she had been more polite, perhaps she would have protested Hotaru's change of plans; as it were, she simply shrugged and fell into step beside the other woman. [say]"Thank you,"[/say] she remembered to say as they walked. [say]"I appreciate the help."[/say]

RE: endless wasting - Hotaru - 04-12-2023

The hesitance is obvious, and Hotaru is far more well-versed in reading people than Alys. It makes her tick her lips in a small smile, wry. [say]"They are quite kind. Deimos is like my brother, and Talyson much the same - they are due a little mockery when I have the chance."[/say] It is a good thing Alys was careful not to overstep however, as Hotaru was as fickle as she was dreadfully loyal, more than willing to defend their honor. Such were the perks of being a sister; only you get to fuck with them.

Her confusion is met with a beatific smile. [say]"Just like that. Abandoned are still looked down on by many, even with sentiment shifting. My goal is to empower anyone I can, and I have no need for money or favors."[/say] She is already bountiful in both aspects. [say]"It is dedicated to my late son, who was also Abandoned. I merely care more about my goal than debt."[/say] Though many have sworn some form of allegiance to her on their own accord because of it, Hotaru has had no recent need to utilize their fealty or favors.

Glancing once more at Alys' outfit, the Valkyrie laughs - kindly, of course, but still amused. [say]"Well you're in the presence of the most avid shopper in Halo, so I can make up for it,"[/say] she hums with a coy wink to the side. [say]"You said Deimos and Tal recommended the Academy - are you a soldier? Enchantress?"[/say] Some Abandoned merely wanted the strength to protect and defend themselves, but just as many had clearly defined goals to strive toward.

Hotaru smiled, and Alys relaxed in the woman's easy companionship. The woman's description of Tal and Deimos as like brothers to her did little to assuage Alys's confusion; she had no siblings herself, and therefore could not relate. If anything, she felt a pang of jealousy; she had so few friends and no remaining family. To see what relationships others could have felt like a slap in the face from the Universe. Alys made a mental note to ask her cards about relationships later; perhaps there was clarity in their messages on if she should - and how she could - try to build her own.

Alys had at least enough knowledge of manners to know what to say when someone's late son was mentioned. [say]"I'm sorry for your loss,"[/say] she murmured. She wasn't quite sure what to say after that, though. But the conversation quickly turned away from sadder topics and on to shopping and the Academy. [say]"I'm a Seer,"[/say] she told Hotaru shyly. Many were wary of divination - perhaps rightfully so, if what Tal had told her about someone using animal parts to divine things was true - and she'd met more than her share of skeptics over the years. [say]"I use Tarot cards for divination. My magic is with illusions - I'm just not entirely sure how to use it yet."[/say]

The woman's quiet is respectfully given space to exist without scrutiny - at least not overt scrutiny. Hotaru is incapable of ever truly ceasing in her constant dissection of the world around her. At least there is familiarity in the rote words of comfort; Ru had heard it time and again in the wake of Enzo's death. [say]"Thank you,"[/say] she murmurs, used to accepting the sentiment behind the otherwise bland words. [say]"Mort blessed us with a chance to say our goodbyes. Now, I merely try to empower the Abandoned who are comfortable outing their racial status."[/say] Many still hid in fear, hiding the power that should be their birthright. Hotaru can only hope to reach as many as she can.

Alys is right to be hesitant; in Halo, Abandoned are commonplace, but divination often went hand-in-hand with the cannibals and cults of old. Luckily, Hotaru is not so small minded. [say]"Truly? How wonderful, do you perform readings for others?"[/say] Sincere intrigue lights up her expression as they walk, turning her head to keep eye contact comfortably as they talk. [say]"Illusion magic isn't something I am deeply versed in, but I have compulsion magic. There are enough similarities between them - perhaps I can give you some insight."[/say] Regardless of whether she becomes a student or not.

Alys fell into step beside Hotaru; they were so similarly sized that their steps were matched, and the young woman didn't have to worry about keeping up, as she sometimes did. What Hotaru sought to do was a beautiful thing, and Alys's estimation of the woman rose. [say]"A difficult task,"[/say] she said. [say]"But I'm sure your students - and all Abandoned - appreciate what you're doing. It would be nice to be accepted for who we are."[/say] She'd had her own share of negative encounters with others; to simply be able to exist without fear of persecution would be a wonderful thing.

At Hotaru's interest in her divination, Alys offered a genuinely excited smile. [say]"I do! Though few seek them out. It's a shame - the Sight can be such a useful tool. I'd be happy to read for you sometime, if you'd like?"[/say] she offered. It was rare for her to find someone like-minded, and she was even more surprised to have found that in Hotaru - who she'd come across entirely by chance, despite the fact that she was just the person Alys needed to meet. And people thought that things merely happened by coincidence!

[say]"I thought about using my magic to enhance my readings,"[/say] she confided. [say]"To show, rather than tell, so to speak. But I'm not very good with my magic yet. I can only do small illusions, and they don't last very long at all. Deimos has been trying to help me. I actually trained with him just the other day, in the barracks."[/say]

Sincerity is not uncommon given the blunt, forthright nature of most Halovians, but as a creature of smoke and mirrors it has never grown any easier for Hotaru to accept it. [say]"Thank you,"[/say] she makes herself say all the same, because she does mean it. [say]"The Wardens are working with Stormbreak to try and encourage the removal of their anti-Abandoned protections, but progress is slow with the lack of leadership there."[/say] Though she holds no formal council position, Deimos had offered her one in case she ever felt the desire to reach for it, and she keeps herself apprised of anything that may impact her current one-woman crusade.

The brightness of Alys' excitement distracts her from more serious topics, and Hotaru mirrors with a similar smile. [say]"I would enjoy that quite a lot. Divination is a formidable branch of magic, and too often downplayed or mimicked. Is that what prompted you to leave everything behind?"[/say] Hotaru had left behind the Grounds to chase the frozen peaks of Halo, a land as close to the Basin as she could get, but if she'd had any kind of Sight she can say with surety that it would have led her there regardless.

[say]"Deimos is quite a formidable teacher, I'm glad you got to experience it. He is far busier now as Warden, but he can't fully escape the desire to train others. I'm not surprised to hear he was in the Barracks again."[/say] As if he didn't practically live there, preferring it to the council hall he clearly detested. [say]"It's a rarer magic, but the Fae employ it masterfully. I lived in the Greatwood for a time and learned quite a lot from them - I'd be happy to help you train with it."[/say] As they approach the Citadel gates, Ru lifts a hand towards the guards on duty and gets a strange look in return.

[say]"Back so soon, Valkyrie?"[/say] Ru laughs and tilts her head towards Alys, relinquishing her magic as they enter the magically warmed dome that covers the city. [say]"Still bagged something, didn't I?"[/say] she remarks coyly, and the guard snorts wordlessly, waving them through. Adjusting the bow on her back, Hotaru looks back to Alys. [say]"First things first, we're getting you a cloak and gloves. Then we can work on shoes and under layers. Sound good?"[/say]