Court of the Fallen
Troublesome Reverie - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Troublesome Reverie (/showthread.php?tid=8780)

Pages: 1 2

Troublesome Reverie - Noah - 09-23-2023

Part of exploring every inch of the Hollowed Grounds meant going places Noah had no desires to go on his own. The Last Whisper, much like its name implied, offered a rather dismal environment – grimy, stiflingly cramped, and unrelentingly hot even in Deepfrost's grip. Noah felt uncomfortable as he put himself through the small entrance and started walking the winding alleys.

He had the hood of his Sentinel's coat pulled up over his head, and his glacier eyes darted around from beneath it. With his hands stuffed in his pockets, and keeping mostly out of shops, Noah tried to just blend in with the other unassuming folk that meandered through.

What caught his attention, though, was a shop keeper that seemed rather unhappy. He came to an abrupt halt, his chin tilting slightly as he observed the unfolding scene. It appeared that a young troublemaker had crossed paths with the disgruntled shopkeeper.

"Oi, you there! What do you think you're doing?" the shopkeeper barked, his voice thunderous. The child jumped, trembling, and turned to face the gruff shopkeeper.

"I was just looking," the child mumbled, guilt written across his freckled face.

The shop owner's scowl deepened, his fingers twitching in annoyance. He pointed to the door with a stern finger. "Out. Now. I don't have time for your games."

The freckled boy ran so fast from the shopkeeper that Noah thought he might leave behind his shoes. He had to sidestep quickly to keep the boy from crashing right into him. The boy skittered off, and Noah's eyes made their way back to the shopkeeper, who barked a gnarled What're ya lookin' at in his direction.

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Talyson - 10-08-2023

Part of the job meant learning the lay of each region so he would know right where to take deliveries when a commission sent him to a particular neighborhood. It was a lot harder in the Wilds, of course, but it also meant poking around the newer areas of more settled towns. He'd heard of the Last Whisper on his last run to the Domiciles, and since he had some time to kill before he needed to find an inn Tal figured he could do some preemptive exploring.

Still slender and wiry in spite of the whipcord muscles hidden under his warm clothes, the courier had slipped down into the warrens more easily than his broad-shouldered dragon, who grumbled and huffed and finally shook herself free like a scaly cork leaving a bottle as the steps widened out into a shadowy thoroughfare. The pair had only been walking around for a little while before a loud voice caught their attention, though by the time they made it over to the source a child was darting between them and things seemed to be over.

Except for an unexpectedly familiar silhouette nearby, and Tal perked up immediately. "Hey, Noah!" he called, glancing at the shopkeep but biting his tongue against his instinctive need to sass back at the grouchy man. He didn't want to do it while Noah was watching, at least! "What're y'doin' down here?" Given the place's reputation it definitely wasn't where he'd expected to find the happily married new father and demigod of Vi!

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Noah - 10-30-2023

Before the hunter could respond to the shopkeeper with the same kind of grump he deserved, a familiar voice tinged in the demigod's ears. He turned, hands lifting to lower the hood of his Sentinel's coat. Noah felt the lump in his throat swell before he could do anything to stop it. Swallowing hard, the demigod tried to put on a face he hope Talyson wouldn't be able to see through. His glacier eyes softened some and Noah's lips pulled into the smallest of smiles, but there were enough wrinkles carved into the corners of his eyes that the illusion should stand.

"Just exploring every inch the Grounds is all." He answered in a lowered tone meant only for the Messenger. "Vi has me here on an assignment, as you may have heard." And how Noah hoped and wished that the courier hadn't heard the truth and depth of the assignment and all of the Forsaken's failures. He swallowed again, pieces of the lump falling with it.

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Talyson - 10-30-2023

Tal was, unfortunately, neither the most perspicacious or particularly socially adept, and so Noah's small smile fooled him completely. The courier felt the tips of his ears warm at the expression, pleased to be met with that instead of... well, any of the alternatives, really. It drew a startled flash of a grin from the courier even as Boreal rumbled a happy greeting and shouldered her human aside so she could plop her scaly rear down in front of the Sentinel for head scritches.

Her human huffed fond annoyance at her but stepped a little closer so he could hear Noah's quiet voice, and pale eyes went round with surprise. "Nooo... I, uh, I hadn't," he admitted slowly, reaching up to rub the back of his neck in embarrassment. He knew Noah and his family had moved to the Grounds, of course, but not why. Was this something he should have heard about? Was he a bad friend for not knowing? An assignment from Vi himself sounded like a pretty great honor! "Sorry," he added sheepishly, glancing down at his feet. "I've been so busy travelin' around with the deliverin' business I've, well... kinda missed a lot at home." He cleared his throat, risking a quick look up again and resolving to try and make amends. "So, uh, how've y'been? An' Delia an' the twins?"

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Noah - 10-30-2023

The relief that flooded Noah was near unmatchable. Like a breaking dam the lump in his throat dislodged with his next swallow and his smile deepened with a genuineness he hadn't felt in weeks. "No, it's ok." He said, his hand waving away the apology. As the courier's dragon leaned against his legs more like one of Tal's sled dogs than a miniature version of what lived in the Cordillera, the hunter scratched her head.

The shop owner, still roiling and bubbling in his own grumpy magma spat out again, threatening the two men about the dangers of loitering. Noah's shoulders stiffened briefly and he looked at the older man with stoney eyes, but tugged at an invisible line with his eyes for Talyson to walk with him. "The twins are good. Growing and learning and exploring every day. Cordelia wishes we were home. I think they will come back to Halo to visit a little in Flowerbirth." His head tilted some as he let his eyes wander to different establishments as they walked. "Thanks for asking. How is Halo? And business?"

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Talyson - 10-31-2023

Noah's smile was several degrees warmer and Tal relaxed under the perceived forgiveness. Shoulders straightening, he raised his chin to meet the Sentinel's eyes more squarely as his own grin flashed in gratitude. Boreal was more than happy to share in the pleasant glow of her human's relief as the demigod's clever fingers found an itchy spot, and the dragon rumbled her approval, one wing twitching in time to the scritches.

Tal glared at the shopkeep, lips pulling towards a scowl as he opened his mouth to spit a little venom of his own back--

But Noah's look silenced him, and he settled for grumbling under his breath as he fell in beside the older man. His ill-humor faded as talk turned to Cordelia and the kids, and he let his hand fall to brush over Boreal's shoulders where she ambled between the two men. "Yeah? She'll have t'come see my new place," he suggested, perking up a little. "An' you're invited too, o'course! It's just... it's kinda small, is all." He reached up with his other hand to rub ruefully at the back of his neck. "Halo's gettin' by, an' business is slowin' down a little, on account o'Deepfrost an' all, but I opened' up delivery stations in Snowcloak an' Haulani this year. I, uh... I was thinkin' of openin' one here, too, if y'think that would be okay?" The question slipped out, shy and gruff, as he slanted a glance over at the man beside him. Maybe he should have been asking Danta that question, but Tal instinctively turned to Noah as the adult in the region.

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Noah - 11-03-2023

With the shopkeeper and his rolling coals forgotten, Noah let his eyes wander to different shops and doors, but would quickly snap ahead or to the ground when only half-dressed people came into view in the darkness, or leaned against their doorposts and made enticing comments to the two men. Noah swallowed, a rising discomfort heating him from the inside.

”She would definitely love to visit, and I am sure when the twins are old enough they’ll be begging you for rides — skyboat and sled.” Noah, despite the discomfort he felt in his belly, beamed at the mention of his children. Their light could always extinguish the darkness, no matter how inky.

”I think the Hollowed Grounds could really use that.” Noah said sincerely, nodding at his own words. ”I’ll help with anything you need for that.” Having a dedicated parcel service would do this place well, that was true. It was a small aspect of trade but it kept the people connected to the larger world, which this region was so unused to because of being under the barrier for so long.

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Talyson - 11-04-2023

Noah wasn't the only one with wandering eyes, but Tal was much more likely to continue stealing surreptitious glances at all the flesh on display as he swallowed hard and tried to pretend he wasn't turning red at his ears and the back of his neck. "Aren't they cold?" he muttered, half to himself before resolutely turning his attention back to his friend and their conversation.

"I'm, uh... not real good with kids," he admitted gruffly, but a small smile was tugging at the corner of his mouth. "But as long as one o' their parents comes with 'em, they'll always ride for free," Tal assured the Sentinel with a smidgen of relief for the far safer topic. Truth be told he was mildly terrified of small children and usually went out of his way to avoid them, but Soleil had given him some exposure therapy when she'd been small and he was slightly less likely to flee at the sight of them now.

He perked up further when Noah supported his idea for a new courier station, a quick flash of teeth revealing the brief grin that lit up his face. "Thanks, Noah! That'd be great!" Mentally, he was already ticking off the list of things they'd need. "I'll come back in Flowerbirth an' we can get started on it, yeah? A couple more volunteers, an' it'll be up in no time!" Enticing smells wafted out of one door they were passing and Boreal started to veer towards the scent of roasting meats, Tal had to shift quickly to get his hand around one of her horns and pull her back into the center of the narrow street when he realized just how little clothing the servers inside were wearing, and almost none of it up top.

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Noah - 11-04-2023

Noah chuckled in response to Tal's muttered comment about the scantily clad individuals in the marketplace. "They certainly have their own way of dealing with the weather," he remarked, amusement dancing in his eyes. It was evident that the two friends had very different approaches to the distractions around them.

As Tal admitted his unease around children, Noah's smile grew warmer. "No worries. Everyone has their strengths." His support for the initiative remained steadfast, and he nodded in agreement. "Flowerbirth sounds like a good time to start. We can assemble a dedicated team and get to work. It'll be a great addition to the Hollowed Grounds."

Noah's smile didn't seem to fade, although the roiling of his own emotions still made his stomach feel warm and his limbs feel cold. "Can I ask you something?" He asked the courier, scratching at his dragon.

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Talyson - 11-05-2023

Tal wrinkled his nose at Noah's chuckle, giving his friend a dubious look until he saw the laughter in the Sentinel's blue eyes. Then the courier cracked a small grin and relaxed a little. "They sure do." But he kept his voice low enough to not to attract further colorful commentary from some of those scantily-clad individuals nearby.

He relaxed further as Noah accepted his lack of skill in dealing with children without judgment, not bothering to hide his relief before Boreal promptly gave him something else to worry about. He managed to wrangle her safely back between them as Noah gave his blessing and Tal practically beamed with excitement. The question, when it came, was to a young man with big dreams and big plans and a rare bout of optimism that made him carelessly offer: "Sure! Ask me anythin'!" as Boreal rumbled happily at the attention, momentarily distracted from the excitingly shady smells from their surroundings.

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Noah - 11-05-2023

"I guess it's less of a question and more of a favor." The Forsaken said, stopping at a fairly dark corner. He turned his body to face Talyson. Looking down on the courier now, face to face, Noah had forgotten how much he dwarfed the younger man. He rocked back on his heels to be less imposing, but continued on. "If Cordelia and the twins come home to Halo in Flowerbirth, will you promise to keep an eye on them? Even from a distance is ok." There was a pang in Noah's voice that wasn't there before. A twitch in his jaw that showed the moment of vulnerability he chose to share with the courier.

"I can't leave the Grounds until I've finished what Vi asked of me." He said, reasoning out his inquiry. While he didn't go into any details, he hoped Talyson would take it at face value -- it seemed, so far, that the news of Noah's falling hadn't reached the ears of the Messenger. He hoped that even when -- if -- it did, Talyson would still look at him the same way he was looking at him now.

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Talyson - 11-06-2023

Tal had looked up at Noah, as carefree as the courier ever was and trusting as a hound, but the favor that was asked rocked him back on his heels in a comical mirror to the Sentinel. The Messenger took a deep breath, his enthusiasm fading as he tried to wrap his head around a request that... well, had come out of nowhere to hit him in the side of the head.

"I'm honored, o'course, but... why me?" he asked slowly, brow furrowed. "Delia hasn't talked to me in ages an' I thought you an' Deimos were... y'know. Best friends or somethin.'" And what he thought of that, he kept to himself behind his confusion and spike of wariness at remembering that particular fact. "Wouldn't it make more sense t'ask him? I mean... he's actually in Halo, most o' th'time. Th'whole reason I'm here t'day is..." He gestured a little helplessly around at the houses of ill repute, gambling dens, massage parlors, and other such businesses that filled the Last Whisper. "My job. I'm barely in Halo anymore as it is, 'cept for deliverin' packages an' visitin' my family."

He reached up to rub the back of his neck, awkward embarrassment prickling there at not being able to give Noah an enthusiastic promise to drop his whole life to watch over someone he hadn't heard from in seasons. But it put him in a serious pickle when Flowerbirth was usually his busiest season after the LongNight lull. "I c'n definitely stop in an' check on 'em when I'm in Snowcloak," he offered hopefully, making a promise he felt he could reasonably keep. "An'... I dunno, maybe I c'n help you out here so you c'n get back to 'em faster?"

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Noah - 11-06-2023

"That's exactly the thing." Noah started, letting his tone warm against his lips. "Deimos is my best friend, my brother. No one is closer to me except Cordelia. Which means he has no choice but to keep an eye on them and to protect them. He couldn't help himself from doing it, even if he wanted to." No, Noah knew Deimos' character was deeper and stronger than that. He cared for Noah and his family and there was little that could change that, save for straight up betrayal on Noah's part.

Even then, he wondered if the Sword might still shield them.

"Cordelia likes you, Talyson. I'm inviting you in, if you want to. It's okay if I am asking too much." Noah lifted his hand, palm up, for a moment, letting the courier decide. Noah wouldn't think less of him if he didn't want to. He understood. He had said just moments before that he wasn't good with kids. Maybe that was why Noah was asking -- who knew, really. "I could use some help here, too, if you're more comfortable with that, like you said. It's ok. I'll help you with your station and you can help me in my quest."

RE: Troublesome Reverie - Talyson - 11-07-2023

Tal managed not to squirm as Noah sang the current Warden's praises, though his eyes dropped to Boreal's impatient rumble as she got a whiff of blood from a nearby alley. The dragon was intrigued and a little hungry, but Tal rested a hand on her head, scratching at the base of her horns to keep her at his side as the Sentinel made his case.

And it wasn't like it was a hard case. Delia was his friend, and he missed her terribly since motherhood had cut down on their chance to spend any time together. She was understandably distracted and he was busy and... well, like he'd told Noah, mildly terrified of babies, so he hadn't exactly been going out of his way to visit, either.

Maybe this would be a good excuse to remedy that?

"Nah, it's... it's not too much. I'm just..." He drew a breath and then shrugged his shoulders before jamming his hands in his pockets and looking down at their feet. "I don't want t'let anyone down. Not my job. An' not you an' Delia. I can definitely check in with her every time I'm home, though." He perked up a little, shoulders straightening a bit from their anxious slump. "An' I can ask my sisters t'stop by when I'm not around. They'd be a lot more use with th'kids than me, anyways." Well, maybe not Lexi, but his two oldest were a deft hand with a toddler or two!

He finally risked a look up - and up - from beneath his scruffy shock of dark hair, almost shy as he nodded his agreement. "An' I can help you with your quest whenever I'm deliverin' here, too. What's Vi got y'doin' anyways?"