Court of the Fallen
wonder of wonders - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: wonder of wonders (/showthread.php?tid=9341)

Pages: 1 2 3

wonder of wonders - Ronin - 03-31-2024

[say]"Ah. Well..."[/say]

Ronin isn't sure how else to say this really has gone to hell in a handbasket without admitting just how thoroughly the Greatwood has been overtaken by the void. There's no small pang of sorrow in his chest as he shrugs away his wings, still standing on the outskirts of the violet infused trees and the writhing masses that seem to churn within the dense forestry.

[say]"I hope Phoebe is alright,"[/say] he notes absently; if things had been too bad, he has a feeling Frey would bundle the Nightingale away to safety as usual, but the worry is still present. Stepping closer to Remi, the Nova reaches out to snag his husband by the hand without really thinking about it.

Around them even the Stone Symphony seems touched by lilac chaos, and Ronin feels as though the deeper into the scattered islands they go, the worse things will get. [say]"Right on the doorstep of the Grounds, too."[/say]

RE: wonder of wonders - Remi - 03-31-2024

Hissing in a breath, Remi too feels his chest tighten as he stares into the gnarled and deformed treeline of the once proud and mighty Greatwood. Green had bled away to a sickly violet and where once light was plentiful, now shadows seemed to swallow what dappled sunlight managed to make it through the leaves.

[say]"Mmmm. I do too."[/say] Phoebe, arguably one of their oldest friends now, had a way of surviving everything thrown her way. [say]'Maybe Frey has put her into a chrysalis again."[/say] He suggests, though silently wonders if perhaps Sunjata—or Hotaru, even—might have more insight on their counterpart.

Lacing his fingers through Ronin's and squeezing, Remi glanced over his shoulder to follow the waters of the Stone Symphony as they crashed their way out to sea. [say]"Well, less on their doorstep than they might once have been."[/say] He says, aiming for optimism.

RE: wonder of wonders - Deimos - 03-31-2024

The world had churned into a cyclical nuance of dread, apprehension, tension, and then measures of calm, before starting all over again. Where they’d believed they renewed and repaired enough of Starfall’s damage, there came a brief lull, and then more ensuing strife. To hear the Greatwood had been consumed by the void, rather than nature itself (as perhaps the Fae would’ve preferred) was another gnawing collective to add into the fit of his ribs. Because – if that world could be devoured, what about the rest of them?

It shouldn’t have been surprising then, to know it’d be the three of them venturing in. Like olden days, where none of them seemed capable of stopping themselves from wandering into the nearest curiosity. After discussions with Evie, and arrangements with fellow guards and soldiers, he flew over – lowering himself gradually by eagle formation rather than massive thunderbird, to meander into the woods once more.

He'd just been here last season, and to see the alterations and changes seem so immediate and discerning carved another niche in his chest, eyes flickering over the trees, the churning and despairing collapse of something once so prominent, bold, and otherworldly. The Sword didn’t take his time though, hearing Ronin and Remi ahead, and not wanting to keep them waiting – long strides sweeping in after their murmurs. [say]“Charming,”[/say] came on a deep rumble of his announced greeting, pushing aside a long, purplish limb and vine trying to snake in his direction. [say]“Hope you are doing well, despite…”[/say] he gestured towards their surroundings. [say]“Do we know if anyone still lives here?”[/say]

RE: wonder of wonders - Ronin - 04-01-2024

[say]"Maybe. At least one of us might pop out at the end of all of this good as new that way, huh?"[/say] Ronin smiles softly to Remi, glancing over his shoulder in the direction of the Hollowed Grounds. [say]"There is that,"[/say] he agrees, gently nudging his husband as if to both appreciate and question his optimism (listen, he's still getting used to Mort!Remi too).

Turning at the sound of footsteps, only when they are accompanied by Deimos's familiar overtones does Ronin manage to halt the partial shifting of antlers and dragonscale, and he raises his free hand to his friend in welcome. [say]"Isn't it?"[/say] he drawls, brow furrowed as he gazes again out at the void touched forest lands.

[say]"As well as I can be on a regular day,"[/say] he replies. [say]"I honestly don't know if anyone still lives out here. I worry for the Fae, though. The Sidhe Village was no hovel - they had libraries, a skyport, an observatory..."[/say] What would have become of all of that?

RE: wonder of wonders - Remi - 04-01-2024

[say]"She has done it before."[/say] Remi agrees. Though his role was that of protector, that didn't incline him to go barging into the Greatwood just now in search of the Nightengale. Not when she had her wits and Frey to rely on.

Glancing toward the sound of movement, the Bastion regarded Deimos with an easy smile and relaxed waggle of his fingers in the taller man's direction. Though both Ronin and Maea had remarked at the changes in Remi since his alignment had been altered, having not spent a great deal of time in front of a mirror he hadn't seen the changes for himself such that he had no idea just how apparent things would seem to Deimos. Not that it mattered, he supposed.

Ronin's answer drew a soft squeeze from Remi's fingers accompanied by a trickle of endless adoration through their bond. The Nova was far from being fine, and gods of Remi didn't admire the way Ronin was ever-able to soldier on.

[say]"They are clever, though. The Skyport was more for our benefit, but as for the rest..."[/say] Glancing into the purple haze, Remi narrows his eyes to try and catch movement within before giving up. [say]"I would not bet against them."[/say]

RE: wonder of wonders - Deimos - 04-01-2024

Deimos was an observant creature of out of necessity; so noting Remi’s alterations in character was placed in the back of his mind. He wouldn’t say anything out loud to the man, not unless Remi brought it up himself, but did manage a smile in return for both retorts. [say]“The Fae did well long before we ever got here,”[/say] from Outlander’s purviews – he could recall the warrior group informing them of such notions repeatedly. He could imagine them returning to their life amidst the forest with no regrets, save for an influx of nasty flora and fauna. He also hadn’t heard anything from Phoebe since their leader meeting well over a year ago now, or when speaking to Liam.

Rather than divest into any other melancholies, his eyes flickered over the sights and surroundings again. [say]“What was the plan?”[/say] He imagined some semblance of find, assault, siege, and see what worked – but maybe either of them had concocted another strategy.

RE: wonder of wonders - Ronin - 04-02-2024

Smiling softly at Remi and the flood of emotions pouring through their touch, Ronin nods and lets himself be reassured by both his and the Sword's opinions of the Fae and their resilience. [say]"That's true enough. Maybe we'll even hear from them soon, providing the Greatwood doesn't have any other ideas."[/say] Which in fairness, it might, especially void touched as it is.

Speaking of which, Ronin finally slips his hand out of his husband's and regards the thickets of purple hued trees with a furrowed brow. [say]"I wonder if we might be able to flush a few creatures out, save us going too deep into the woods. The trees would turn people around before, but I've got a feeling that they're probably a lot more hostile now."[/say]

RE: wonder of wonders - Remi - 04-02-2024

Reluctantly, Ronin will feel as much through their bond, the Bastion releases the Nova's hand and instead folds his arms comfortably over his chest. [say]"Well, we can all shift, so....if no one has any reason to go in we could draw straws."[/say] He suggests with a crooked smile. Though Deimos wasn't immortal as they were, nevertheless he was just as capable moreso actually, those fucking stats Heather such that they could be a bit cavalier with their safety.

Or maybe that was just a Remi thing.

[say]"From what I have seen so far, all of these creatures seem just as susceptible to damage as anything else."[/say] Unlike Dahlia going unspoken. [say]"But I suppose if we are going to find out otherwise, there is no one else I would rather be with."[/say]

RE: wonder of wonders - Deimos - 04-02-2024

Years before, the Fae would have rushed at them from beneath the cover of trees, all bark and bite, all menace and vitriol, the moment they set foot within. If he was wistful or melancholy about it, he said nothing – giving only a hint of a smile at the notions Ronin set within.

Plans settling, or striving to anyway, rambled through his mind. Considering how easily they’d found many other void creatures, sometimes almost instanteously, Deimos figured it wouldn’t take long – either by lure, or their presence enough. [say]“Most of the ones we have encountered seem to find us swiftly. But I can always coax some in with Attuned abilities,”[/say] which wasn’t very sporting of them, to be fair, and he shrugged at the implication. And arched his brow at the level of conviction in Remi’s tone – figuring he meant Ronin at the compliment. [say]“Or if we decide that is not as entertaining,” [/say]here he permitted a slight smirk, [say]“I say we flush them out.” [/say]

RE: wonder of wonders - Ronin - 04-03-2024

Since they're out in the middle of a void-haunted region with little to look forward to, Ronin is all for what's more entertaining, and he grins between the Sword and his husband before taking a further couple of steps back. [say]"Flush them out? I can do that."[/say] Whether he causes some creatures to flee from the undergrowth in surprise or whether they pursue him as prey is... well, the Nova clearly doesn't mind. And they'll have a nasty surprise waiting for them either way.

So without further ado, Ronin trades legs for hooves and trots sprightly away into the purple hued forest, the glow of his antlers soon swallowed up in the violet haze. It doesn't take long for him to attract notice, weaving in and out between the forest line, and soon enough he prances forth once more, a void viper snagged around his antlers and a few whispering will-o-voids swarming in his wake.

RE: wonder of wonders - Remi - 04-03-2024

[say]"By all means, I have lost most of my attuned abilities—"[/say] Remi begins, until Ronin opts for the more sporting option. Shrugging, the Bastion folds his arms comfortably over his chest and watches as his husband prances away into the violet darkness.

[say]"I...had a chat with Mort, recently."[/say] Remi says in a tone that tries to be casual but fails somewhat given the context. Swallowing, he glances at Deimos and shrugs a touch bashfully. [say]"I have become a demigod for it, instead of Ludo."[/say] It's small talk as much as it's the sort of thing a man like Deimos should probably be aware of, but all Remi can say is that he's thankful when Ronin returns not long after sporting a rather interesting new companion.

[say]"Careful or you are going to get bit."[/say] He murmurs, looking at the viper, before glancing to Deimos. [say]"Can you compel it to...not?"[/say] What shifts the Sword did or didn't have wasn't information Remi could access, but if any of them had that sort of ability, it would be Deimos.

RE: wonder of wonders - Deimos - 04-03-2024

In agreement and accord, Ronin seemed to launch at the offer, and the Sword snorted for the image of it all – luxere glowing through the murk and gloom. He didn’t expect Remi’s round of explanations, but listened intently, and the changes, alterations, clicked into place. The more lighthearted regards, the smiles, the lack of gruff nuances, and even the gentler way Remi seemed to engage himself – reminding Deimos of times well before demigods at all. [say]“Congratulations,”[/say] he gave with a nod of his head and his own grin. [say]“Is that…better…for you now?”[/say] Uncertain how else to say it, and never embarking too far down the rabbit hole of what the Lullaby had been required to do at Ludo’s behest.

But then Ronin came bounding back, and despite the amount of void creatures clustered around the stag’s anters or hastened in amongst the nastier will-o-wisps (trying to immediately ignore their usual rounds of torment), he murmured once more. [say]“I can certainly try,”[/say] and ushered in a compulsion across Attuned bonds and fixtures – nothing in words, but a dangerous, vicious warning not to bite, not to scatter; to be still.  At the very least, they’d be able to see if these beasts responded and adhered. [say]“If it does not work,[/say]” he mentioned, by way of already planning ahead, [say]“I can always toss them about with my Air magic.”[/say] The Warden figured they could make a grand old game of that too.

--

[say]Deimos tries using:
Beast Speaker | Can speak to rare creatures/companions/regular animals. Requires permission to "speak" on behalf of someone's companion. Regular animals speak in varying levels of coherence.[/say]

RE: wonder of wonders - Ronin - 04-04-2024

[say]I won't get bit,[/say] Ronin protests, snorting at Remi for good measure and continuing to prance away from the will-o-voids as they try to pursue him - it looks hilarious, for anyone watching (and you're welcome, says Ronin). He's about to give his antlered head a toss to see if he might yeet the snake from his glowing crown, but before he gets a chance, Deimos steps in with some very clever compulsion.

Given that the creatures aren't the smartest and are as common as they come for the Greatwood, it really doesn't take much for them to halt in place. For the snake, too, it freezes with such vigour that it promptly drops from the tangle of the Nova's antlers, flopping uselessly into the grass.

Which is promptly when Ronin's deer instincts activate and he fucking spooks, bucks, and springs away from the now harmless snake.

Demigods, super powerful, amirite.

RE: wonder of wonders - Remi - 04-04-2024

Returning the smile, Remi itches at the back of his neck. [say]"On the whole...yeah, I think it is. It's nice not to constantly be sent out on murderous errands."[/say] He admits freely. [say]"I have not hand time to test everything out, but almost all of my abilities now have to do simply with protection."[/say] Where Remi had almost always placed himself on the front lines anyway, now at least those who came behind him would be protected by his masochistic tendencies.

But then Deimos' is Deimosing and Ronin is Ronining, and all there is for Remi to do is laugh.

With cheeks made pink from laughter and his dimples all the deeper for it, the Bastion can only watch his husband stumble and spook away from one of the most inconsequential of dangers that he's likely to have come across. [say]"Ahh, my husband."[/say] Remi says in a lovestruck tone that's as meant to be just as sarcastic as genuine. [say]"Gods but I am a lucky man."[/say]