Court of the Fallen
A touch of shadow - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Hollowed Grounds (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outer Brambles (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=237)
+---- Forum: Glade (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+---- Thread: A touch of shadow (/showthread.php?tid=9402)

Pages: 1 2

A touch of shadow - Talyson - 04-22-2024

Leafchange had clothed the Glade in brilliant reds, golds, and oranges, and as the leaves fell they made more space for rays of late afternoon sunshine to pierce through the canopy. They shone like spotlights upon the last of the season's flowers and pale glowstones below. Crickets chirped and bees hummed with the frantic energy of knowing their time was short, seeking mates and food and dodging birds who were doing the same, their brilliant songs echoed throughout the idyllic area and its last joyous celebration of life before Deepfrost's slumber fell over it.

It made the Void Tangleweed huddled in the shadow of an ancient oak even more unsettlingly blasphemous, its tendril-wreathed branches writhing gently as it digested its latest meal. Around it there was a circle of silence that no insect or animal dared to break, but the rustle of its branches as it occasionally shifted and constricted seemed to carry across the short distance between it and the man who crouched nearby atop a glowstone, scowling at it.

Tal was wearing a heavy leather coat and gauntlets; not against the nip in the air - which was pronounced this afternoon - but against the task ahead of him. He gripped a small, glittering star currently suspended from a thin, tough chain in one gloved hand. The other rested on his knee as he measured the distance between him and the Void-shrouded plant and then measured it again, shifting uneasily. A pale dragon, burly and large for a companion, perched in the branches of the oak tree, looking down at the Tangleweed with pupils contracted to mere slits of dislike. A constant, quiet rumble emerged from her chest as two thin trails of smoke emerged from her nostrils, evidence of the internal fires that were only barely leashed for the moment.

Open!

RE: A touch of shadow - Astaroth - 04-22-2024

The plants have been doing a number on the outskirts of the Grounds, such that Asta hasn’t paid it too much mind – not with what he’s heard is the current project Dantalion has spurred into action. So as it stands, he’s simply out for a stroll, getting used to his new home, bundled up in a beautiful burgundy suit jacket that appears more like a well fitted trench coat with a deep hued wooden cane while he walks, hair brushed back behind his horns, with dark pants and dark boots that equally try to keep away the heat, his tail waving idly as he follows through his little stroll.

So far, no crows have invaded his walk, though the varying sparrow shooting across the sky and down into the grasses left his back feeling a bit uncomfortable and tingly. He thankfully has been able to ignore them in favor for the scene he arrives on. Something so intriguing he pauses where he is, scanning the void plant, the person trying to do something with it, and a pale dragon glaring down at it from above.

He says nothing, though, not wanting to interrupt whatever the fuck this was.

RE: A touch of shadow - Talyson - 04-22-2024

Tal would like to think that he wasn't usually so careless as to let someone sneak up on him, but his attention was entirely focused on the Void plant and his task, and it was the dragon who spared the stranger a single glance and then returned her full focus to the Tangleweed when the man stopped a ways back without offering threat.

Because her human should have made his move ten minutes ago, but the courier was struggling with his memories of what had happened the last time he'd gotten too close to one of those wretched infected plantimals and Trauma™ could be a bitch.

But it was now or never, and without outward warning Tal got his shit together and lunged towards the quiescent Void Tangleweed. He got a hand on it, slapping the shadowed sphere of limbs and hunger with the gauntlet holding the sparkly bauble, and as soon as he was sure that the charm had touched the Void flora he lifted his booted foot and kicked the Tangleweed into a nearby shallow stream. "Now!" he called to the dragon, but she was already in motion. Muscles bunching, she bounded out of the tree and into the air, flapping powerfully to approximate a clumsy hover directly over the suddenly mobile and irate Tangleweed as it stretched back towards the shore and the courier. Flame poured down from her blunt maw, burning and withering the infection from the Glade as steam rose up around it in a cloud.

Tal's Dagger was out in his hand but he held back, pulling his Goggles down over his eyes to check the progress of the Void fucker's fiery demise as it burned to the waterline, and boiled below it.

He didn't relax until he was sure it was dead; a blackened husk flaking apart as it began to float away. Sliding his Dagger back into his sheath he grinned fiercely up at his dragon, still oblivious to the man who had joined him. "Atta girl. You're gettin' steak tonight!"

RE: A touch of shadow - Astaroth - 04-23-2024

Honestly, he’s content to watch the events unfold before him, keeping his distance despite being spotted by the dragon. He has a good vantage point here to watch as the dark haired stranger continue to seemingly dawdle around a tangleweed that looks quite sickly (or aggressive? It’s hard to tell from this distance). Though, his brows lift as soon as the kick is made and Astaroth’s dark gaze follows the tumbleweed along to its demise.

He even remains silent until the charred husk floats of whatever remained from the void creature that Tal had focused his efforts onto. And now is about the time Asta deems it important to announce his presence. “[say]That was quite possibly the strangest thing I’ve ever seen.[/say]” He says by way of greeting, the cane clicking against the ground when a random stone is touched announces more of his arrival, as does the rumble of a welcome laugh. “[say]Yet it was also so entertaining.[/say]”

RE: A touch of shadow - Talyson - 04-23-2024

The man certainly knew how to make an entrance. Tal flinched and whipped his head around, tense as a wire. Seeing an Ancient - albeit a strange one - he relaxed however, his hand falling away from his Dagger as his face went through some interesting contortions. His instinctive scowl at being laughed at - or at least, that was how he usually interpreted things - fought against his attempts at better manners and ended in an expression of mild constipation as he cleared his throat self-consciously. His dragon chortled helpfully as she flapped her way to a heavy landing on the bank of the stream and batted a charred twig into the water with her talons.

"Uh... well... I'm glad... y'had a good time...?" He struggled to reply in the face of being called 'entertaining,' clearly uncertain of it was a compliment or an insult, and the look he gave the stranger reflected his inner conflict. Still, with the Tangleweed defeated he relaxed enough to start stripping off his gauntlets, grasping desperately after what passed for polite small talk between strangers. "So... uh. D'you live around here, then?"

RE: A touch of shadow - Astaroth - 04-24-2024

In all truth, Astaroth cares little about Talyson’s feelings over the matter. He’s simply being honest – and whether or not the messenger wishes to take it as an attack on him, Asta won’t say otherwise. Nor does he even say that it is the reason he’s amused. No, the fact is that he doesn’t know what the fuck Tal is doing, nor does he really need to know. He just knows that out of all of the ways to try and kill a tangelweed, it certainly seemed to be the most drawn out way.

So the grin remains, sharp toothed and bright. “[say]I most certainly did.[/say]” He offers before nodding and settling, spaded tail waving idly in the air behind him as he looks back toward the charred husk as the small talk is made. “[say]I do.[/say]” He does indeed live here. “[say]Astaroth. Though most people call me Asta, these days.[/say]” He says by way of introduction, patiently waiting with that still too sharp grin. “[say]And who might you be, young man?[/say]”

RE: A touch of shadow - Talyson - 04-24-2024

It was probably no surprise that of all the kinds of people in the world, Tal struggled the most with those that were charming, urbane, handsome, and witty. And fucking tall. All things the courier wasn't, and usually didn't waste time thinking about until his nose was rubbed in that lack by those to whom it all seemed to come naturally.

Even if they didn't mean to do so. Just existing was enough.

And sure, this guy came with horns and sharp teeth and a flippy spade tail, but Tal had, for better or worse, been hanging out with one too many Ancients of the new school: the ones who saved their bloodlust for private parties and dinners out with a few close friends and generally avoided even the rumor of eating people in public. His survival instincts had been dulled by association with the likes of Fox and Maea and even Edmund - half-feral though his guildmaster could sometimes be.

So instead of being wisely afraid or particularly wary, Tal just wrestled with trying not to jump straight to offended pride as the guy - Asta? - introduced himself with all the suave smoothness of flash-frozen lake on a windless day. The courier managed to get his gauntlets off and checked on the little star charm that hung from a chain on his wrist with a faint grimace that turned to a wince at the subtle reminder that he had yet to introduce himself. "Asta, huh? Well... nice t'meet you, I think?" He reached up to rub the back of his neck uncertainly as he took a few hesitant steps towards the Ancient. They were doing this, right? Having a conversation? "I'm Tal... Talyson Seawright. Courier, an' captain o'th'Peregrine." A draconic rumble from behind him drew a roll of the good captain's eyes. "I was gettin' t'you! Hold your smoke!" He cleared his throat apologetically as he gestured back to the dragon, who had begun to amble towards Astaroth with her broad head up in inquisitive curiosity. "An' this is Boreal. Despite what she wants y't'think, she's already eaten today," he added with a silent warning for the dragon to behave.

RE: A touch of shadow - Astaroth - 04-24-2024

Astaroth has always been quite a charming man – ever since his change into becoming Ancient. He’d learned from his previous ways, strove to do better, and now was impeccably well put together for a man that was never shy from absolutely being one of those Ancients. But, the subject hasn’t reached that part so far. No, right now it were solely introductions to be made, even in the face of Tal’s own – as far as Astaroth can tell – anxieties.

“[say]Pleasure to meet you, my dear.[/say]” He rumbles the response swiftly, remaining exactly still despite how his eyes track him like a bloodhound. His smile remains even as Tal introduces himself and… Whatever a Peregrine was. He’s just about to ask, actually, when the dragon rumbles her own annoyed impatience, and the tall Ancient’s dark gaze flickers toward the pale dragon as she arrives closer.

Having zero qualms with it, Asta shifts the cane to the other hand, crouching low enough for the dragon to approach, hand held out for her to sniff should she wish to. Alas, no food to be seen here, but that’s alright. “[say]I have always had a love for dragons.[/say]” He murmurs softly to her, and if she accepts his scent he’ll move to scratch right along the scales under her chin. “[say]So, does this… Peregrine have anything to do with what you were just doing to that tangleweed?[/say]” He asks, unsure if the fact that Tal was a captain of it meant that he was a leader of some new cult.

A strange one, if they were doing that to void flora.

RE: A touch of shadow - Talyson - 04-24-2024

He was being out-courtesied so fast it was making his head spin, leaving Tal flustered and off-balance until Boreal arrived to break the social ice with her usual friendly aplomb. Seeing the stranger already coming down to her level, the companion padded right up to him with all the certainty of receiving her due that only a dragon could display. She deigned to sniff the proffered fingers, and though there was no scent of imminent snacks upon them she pushed her broad head at him imperiously for the next best thing. A happy rumble vibrated through her broad chest as she decreed Asta acceptable while Tal ambled a little closer, visibly relaxing as Boreal approved of the other man.

Though given her willingness to accept bribes and flattery, her judgment might not have always been the best.

"Nah, th'Peregrine's my skyboat," Tal explained, starting to shrug out of the heavy leather coat now that the area looked clear of void stuff for the moment. "She's how I get from one end o' Caido t'the other for my deliveries. Y'might've seen my shop down by the Landin'," he added helpfully. The little depot served to accept and hold packages for delivery until Tal arrived for another circuit of the continent to pick them up and whisk them off to their destinations.

It took him a few moments of finishing the fight with the coat to realize that there had been a second part to Asta's question, and the courier cleared his throat self-consciously. "Uh. Actually, th'Voidweed thing was part of a quest for Safrin," he admitted, wrestling the heavy coat into a Bag that looked far too small for it. "Touchin' it, I mean. Not killin' it. Killin' it's just community service at this point." He sent a glare back over his shoulder at where they'd torched it, but the remains had already come apart and drifted downstream. Turning his attention back to Asta he drew a deep breath and asked totally smoothly: "Uh... are you okay with 'em? Th'Old Gods?"

RE: A touch of shadow - Astaroth - 04-25-2024

Astaroth continues to scratch under Boreal’s jaw, for however long she’ll let him, even as Tal continues to offer explanations. A dawning “[say]ahh, one of those new inventions.[/say]” It was new to him, after all. Having not been around in centuries. But as for the landing? He shakes his head a little, letting his dark gaze lift toward the shorter man. “[say]I have not, but admittedly I haven’t had much chance to explore the changes Caido has taken since I’ve been around.[/say]” He hums.

The explanation of the quest makes sense, though, and he nods even as his nose wrinkles a little and he moves to straighten back out, standing up to his full height and adjusting his collar, plucking a piece of lint from his arm. “[say]I see.[/say]”

But when the question is turned onto him, his grin remains just as bright even if he doesn’t have much to say. “[say]Okay with them? I don’t hate them, if that’s the question you’re asking. Indifferent, I suppose.[/say]” He shifts his weight a little, contemplatively. “[say]Dygra is the only one I truly care for.[/say]” Which should be obvious, given the horns and the tail, of which his spaded tail starts to wave idly as he cocks his head curiously. “[say]Why do you ask, my dear?[/say]”

RE: A touch of shadow - Talyson - 04-25-2024

Boreal, Astaroth would find, had a deep well of patience for scritches and he was quickly on his way to making a friend for life. Her scaly tail slithered happily in the grass behind her as she accepted the attention with every evidence of bliss and Tal just shook his head in fond exasperation at her ability to charm just about anyone into giving her food, attention, or both.

Skyboats being 'new' wasn't that unusual, at least. They hadn't existed for most of Tal's life, either, though the phrasing made Asta sound like one of the old uncles back in Halo. The odd turn of phrase though - changes Caido has taken - had the courier's brows beetling together in thought, a question rising to his lips that was momentarily swallowed back so he could answer the older man's query about his actions instead.

It was a different line of inquiry that arose then, one that Tal was belatedly reminded about as being important. He bit his lip as Asta started to respond, nodding slowly with relief when indifference replaced hate. Indifference he could probably deal with... maybe. He took a deep breath and tried to get his thoughts in better order than they usually were, determined not to make as much of a hash of it as he had with Maea and Kiada. "Well... I was kind o'hopin' that maybe th'people o' th'Grounds would be willin' t'let me build a shrine t'th'Old Gods out here." He gestured around at the Glade before looking back to Asta with anxious earnestness. "I know I don't live here right now, an' it's askin' a lot. I travel here a lot though, an' so do others who don't follow Dygra, an' it would be real comfortin' t'have a place t'pray for help or healin' when I'm in th'region." Pale eyes flicked back to where the Void Tangleweed had been resting against the tree and he bit his lip before continuing. "An' I'm thinkin' th'troubles we've got right now are gonna take everyone workin' together t'figure out." He was speeding up as he spoke, trying to get all the words out at once, and Boreal had to gave a quiet whuff of encouragement to get him to take a breath and deliberately slow down. "Anyways, uh, th'old gods won't do it unless I get permission from everyone who lives here, so... that's why I'm askin'. It, uh... I know it's a lot, so if y'need time t'think about it, that's okay, too." And then his jaw finally clicked shut and he swallowed hard, fingers twisting into the fabric of the Bag he held in a nervous grip.

The explanation as it starts to leave the shorter man is certainly not what he expects – but the smile remains the entire time. He’s not going to give away his thoughts so quickly, not until he’s done. Immediately the question that jumps to his mind is why,  but he gains an explanation for that as well – albeit, not exactly one that he’s too fond of. He, himself, and his fellow Ancients have only the Climb and here to speak to their gods, and as far as Asta can remember and as far as he can assume, the rest of the old god shrines are littered everywhere.

But, he waits and shifts his weight a little until he sees the young man grow a little nervous and restless, closing the suggestion quickly and succinctly with a click of his jaw, and Astaroth takes a long deep inhale, formulating his words as he was often so known to do. “[say]Dygra is an ‘old god’, my dear.[/say]” Astaroth hasn’t been around for the Voice, but he’s heard the rumors and stories in passing of the Ascended and what had occurred. But Dygra had been here just as long as Caido had. “[say]Perhaps I’m misunderstanding why, if we have to travel many a distance away in order to see her ourselves when we are in other lands and have no complaints, why it isn’t something that you and the other visitors are capable of doing?[/say]” It isn’t to be mean, of course, general curiosities and all that.

Astaroth tends to be a bit blunt, though. There are some certain nuances not learned out of him from being born from one of the first few cannibal groups in what was the predecessor of Halo.

“[say]I don’t believe I need more time to answer. I just want more understanding as to why. Especially when you and the others do not live here.[/say]” It feels like an interjection into this newfound home for the Ancients, one that he selfishly doesn’t believe needs to cater to the rest of the world.

RE: A touch of shadow - Talyson - 04-25-2024

He couldn't tell what Asta was thinking behind that unwavering smile, but at the gentle correction Tal shook his head, nose wrinkling at the claim. "Nah, she's like Caido, isn't she? She's an Oldest god," he said with all the confidence of one whose faith fell into a few simple, succinct categories, with nuance largely defined by 'nice' and 'sends me off to get beat up.' Either way, though, she didn't seem to be in the same league as Frey and Ludo and Safrin, who were the usual recipients of old gods shrine prayers for bits and baubles. Hail, she was even further away than Mort and Vi and Rae, who already seemed pretty out of reach to a simple mortal like the courier.

But she was closer than them, too, given how frequently she seemed to answer her followers' prayers.

It was weird and complicated and Tal decided to stick with what he knew as he continued to try and answer Asta's questions without tripping over his tongue. "An' for travelin', well... I mean, y'can if y'want to," he agreed with a shrug. "But if y'don't want t'travel, have y'tried askin' about makin' more shrines in other places?" Not that he was going to judge the older man if he felt like he needed to keep getting his cardio in! But they all had to start somewhere, just like Tal was doing.

Given the tenor of the questions so far, the courier had started to sweat under the direction things were going. Far from indifference, it was starting to feel like disapproval, but he swallowed and gamely kept at it. "Well, I told y'why it mattered t'me. An' people other'n Ancients'll move here, too, I figure. People move around Caido all th'time. I mean, I started out in Halo an' now I'm in King's End an'... I guess, I might end up here eventually, th'way things are goin'," he admitted, having the glum feeling that as often as he'd been asked that, it was probably inevitable at this point. They'd only just gotten the house in Meadowreach settled, too...

"I guess... would y'be okay with it if it was bein' made by someone who did live here?"

“[say]Still qualifies as an old god, does it not?[/say]” Oldest and old were just being pedantic at this point, to him. But it does drive Astaroth’s mind toward trying to determine which of the heralds the young man before him had asked for such a thing.

Either way, he asks whether or. Or Astaroth has asked to build shrines elsewhere so they don’t have to travel so far, and it’s met with a deep rumbling chuckle and a shake of his head. “[say]Of course not. I am not complaining about the trek, nor do I live in those other regions.[/say]” He waves a hand to gesture alongside what he says before he settles and his grin shifts a bit sharper at the question that next comes out of the young Accepted’s lips.

One that he’s pretty sure he can read the lines between. “[say]It depends, my dear. If the sole purpose of uprooting their life to move here just so they can get their way to build a shrine a potential few might visit? Then my answer remains no.[/say]” He doesn’t make regional decisions, of course, but he does find it odd that the Messenger seems to have such high self importance to make such large changes just to put a shrine for the heralds in a place full of Ancients.