Court of the Fallen
someone must've loved you, not the way that I do - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: someone must've loved you, not the way that I do (/showthread.php?tid=960)

Pages: 1 2

someone must've loved you, not the way that I do - Killian - 04-09-2019

Wet. Often times when one steps in a puddle, their shoes get wet, or even a little muddy. Most of the time, stepping in a puddle does not leave one drenched head to toe. Also, puddles aren't often something you fall into. However Killian had misjudged the depth, it seemed, of this puddle, for one second he was running through a wheat field ripe with a sun blessed summer, and then he was falling.

The golden boy wasn't falling long, that limp and helpless feeling you get when drop went away almost instantly and suddenly he couldn't discern whether or not he'd actually even dropped at all. He was covered in water however, which was evidence of... something. Killian straightened himself out, getting his first glimpse at his surroundings, and his heart fluttered in his chest. Where there was previously swaths of soft flowing wheat there was now a plethora of greens, with the pastels of springtime sprinkled elegantly throughout. Tall skeletal trees towered above his head creating a lush canopy, though the sunlight still shone through.

The sun. He couldn't feel it anymore, he couldn't feel her. Panic began to bubble up, threatening to whimper at his lips. Where the fuck was he!? Was this some sort of drugged trip? Or had Regne de Jour already found him and placed some sort of hallucinatory spell on him to keep him from continuing on. Ugh, if that were the case that would mean that by staying where he was, he was just awaiting capture, and doing exactly what they would want him to do.

Hell no, Killian wasn't gonna let whatever this was be the boss of him. He sucked up his fears, and scanned his surroundings with wide brown eyes. Every direction was just a lot of trees, pretty, but nothing more. They could've picked a worse mind fuck if they had really wanted to keep him from going on, he thought, but shrugged it off. With a decided direction in mind he just started walking. Following the sun, hoping that maybe she would give him some guidance, or at least dry all this water off of his clothes.

phoebe

RE: someone must've loved you, not the way that I do - Phoebe - 04-11-2019

Phoebe was out and about again, foraging per usual. New life was popping up everywhere which meant new plants for her various remedies. She had already nearly filled up her basket which she was very pleased with, as well as having collected a few specimens to compare to some of the herbal books in the Atheneaum. It was always good to find new options that could help her patients.

She heard someone coming long before she saw them...were they even using a walking path? Phoebe tilted her head out, looking around a tree. [say]"Hello?"[/say] she said, seeing a young man who was drenched. [say]"Are you okay?"[/say] she asked, concerned. Had he gotten caught in the last Flowerbirth shower?

RE: someone must've loved you, not the way that I do - Killian - 04-11-2019

Killian was needless to say, super lost. Doubt about his previous conclusions began tugging at his heels, urging him to turn back, but stubbornness pried off it's grubby little fingers and kept him going forward. Suddenly, and thank goodness for it, a soft voice caught Killian's attention. He turned his head to find her, a relieved smile lighting his face.

Potentially, this was just a trick of magic, another obstacle for him to overcome. But now doubt was whispering into his ear this time Killian was listening. Something else was going on here, and this girl was the best lead he had.

"Uhh," he started, pausing to laugh a little and run his hand through his mess of chocolate brown hair. "Okay, this is gonna sound... wack. But I think I might be hallucinating? Like ten minutes ago I was running through a field and now I'm in the middle of the woods and I don't remember how I got here. Oh and..." he gestured to his slowly drying clothes, then gave her a helpless look.

Phoebe's head tilted a little to the side, long blonde hair falling around her shoulders. [say]"Sound...wack?"[/say] she said in confusion, having never heard that phrase before. What did that even mean, sound wack? Wack...y? Qu-wack? For a moment she thought he was about to make some duck noises but he just kept talking like a normal person. But what he said made sense to her and she smiled a bit.

[say]"Ah. You've just arrived. Welcome to Caido."[/say] she said, straightening and stepping out fully. She was a tall girl, with a lithe, delicately built feminine frame. [say]"There is magic at work, and it pulls people from their worlds and brings them here. That's what happened to you."[/say] she said gently.

RE: someone must've loved you, not the way that I do - Killian - 04-11-2019

The girl seemed a bit confused when Killian used the word wack. Huh. He knew that he’d run pretty far from the capitol, but he was pretty sure wack was a universal term across Regne du Jour. He squinted a little, trying to figure out where the disconnect was, but continued to talk on. By the time he’d finished explaining himself to her, her puzzlement had gone from her face and she seemed to have an answer. His tongue pressed lightly to his upper lip as he looked at her expectantly, watching as she moved into full view. She was quite beautiful, tall and golden haired.

Killian straightened himself out in response to her doing so; he too was tall and lithe, but not delicate. Killian was a much more sun kissed and rugged figure, with a messy charm. The girl gave him a response then, an answer of some kind. But it wasn’t at all what he’d expected, or wanted to hear. His thick brows furrowed as he listened to her, it was his turn to be confused now. What is a Caido, and what did she mean, brought to this world? He didn’t get too worked up yet, her voice was too calm for him to worry.

”Ok... umm...” he said, trying to figure out what to ask first. ”But how do I get back. Not like too the capitol but... like...” he trailed off, figuring not usually at such a loss. This was all hurting his head.

Phoebe smiled at the young man, but despite its pleasant appearance there was melancholy in her gaze. [say]”I am sorry to inform you that you do not get back. No one who appears here like you did returns home.”[/say] she said, breaking the news as gently as she could. She paused for a moment, reaching down and grabbing her basket of foraged herbs and roots and berries. The young midwife tucked it in the crook of her arm, secure against her side. [say]”My name is Phoebe, by the way. I am a midwife here. Why don’t we head to town so you can get some dry clothes and I will explain on the way?”[/say] she said, waiting to see if he would agree before leading back towards the path that would take them to the settlement.

[say]”For some time now, people from other worlds have been appearing in this place. It’s known as Caido.”[/say] she explained, putting on her calming, soothing midwife voice to try and ease any panic he might be having. [say]”So…for example, I am from a kingdom called Northwind, and lived in a settlement called Northaven for a time. All of which I am sure sound completely unfamiliar to you…as unfamiliar as whatever place it is you came from would sound to me.”[/say] she said, then remembered him using the word ‘wack’ and laughed a bit. [say]”Like…when you said wack. What does that mean where you are from? It didn’t make sense to me how you used it…wack just means to hit something.”[/say]

RE: someone must've loved you, not the way that I do - Killian - 04-12-2019

Nothing good ever starts with, I'm sorry to inform you, and nowhe was worrying. He'd hoped that this mystery girl would say anything but- that she'd smile and say, 'no problem, let me just conjure up another puddle and you'll be set.' Instead he got the worst possible news, although delivered with a smile all the same. He froze for a moment, falling into his mind as he tried to make sense of what this all meant. If she was telling the truth, what did that mean for him?

Killian was lost, Phoebe on the other hand was gently lifting a basket of herbs, and continuing on as if his life wasn't falling apart before her very eyes. She introduced herself, and he at least had the wits to do the same, "Killian, but my friends call me Kiki," he said with a half smile. He still clung on to the tiniest hope that this was a hallucination, that he'd tripped and hit his head or something and he'd wake up soon covered in dirt and wheat field bugs...

And home. All he wanted right now was home. His mother, running her hands through his mess of curls, protecting him from the world. But how could she do that when he was supposedly in an entirely different one? Phoebe mentioned his wet clothes, Killian had almost forgotten about that. The physical plane seemed to have disappeared there for a second, but it was back now, and so were his whirlwind thoughts that he held on the tip of his tongue.

He started to follow her, walking at her side with much more urgency than she. He stayed silent as she spoke, processing what she was saying. People appeared in this place, from all over. From different worlds. Was that even possible? Were there other worlds that he didn't know about, worlds hidden in puddles? He tried to keep an open mind, still eased by the idea that this might be a hallucination. Please be that.

Phoebe began to talk about her own world. Northwind, and Northaven. No, he'd never heard of that. Her laugh was a surprise, certainly a shift from what he was feeling at the moment. "Uhh," again with the uhhhhhs, Killian tried to think of a proper answer to her question, while also trying to keep from blurting out more of his own, "Wack is like, crazy. If something's wack it's crazy."

RE: someone must've loved you, not the way that I do - Phoebe - 04-12-2019

[say]"Kiki? That's interesting! How did they get Kiki from Killian? Though...I suppose calling you Kill or Killy wouldn't be great."[/say] she said with a light laugh. [say]"Some people call me Pheebs."[/say] she said, offering up her own nickname for him. It kept things light and friendly, and boy did she know people needed that during this transition.

[say]"Oh! So I was close! I thought maybe it was short for wacky!"[/say] she said with a grin. But she could tell that he was having a hard time. Who wouldn't? They all did.

[say]"Hey. It'll be okay. It's a little bit if an adjustment but there are lots of kind people who will help you. There are quite a few of us Outlanders. Thats what people like us are called."[/say] she said in an assuring tone, smiling at him warmly as they came out into the open fields. In the distance the ramshackle town was just visible, the giant Spire looming over it all.

Phoebe remarked about his nickname, he chuckled lightly as he shrugged. ”Yeah, I’m gonna go ahead and veto Kill... forever. But thanks Pheebs,” he said, in a playful tone. Phoebe was very good at calming people, midwife was a very suitable job for her. Her voice was so calm, sweet like honey, and when he looked at her Killian felt as though nothing was wrong. They were just two friends enjoying a walk. Though a crueler reality would set back in, and this sort of confused and worried limbo could only be broken by answers. Phoebe was only a temporary remedy. Though a beautiful one.

She broke his troubled stupor once again when she brought up “wack”, and how she had thought it was maybe short for wacky. He smiled at her, nodding yes and shaking no simultaneously, ”Yeah, kinda like wacky.”

She seemed to pick up on his distress, and though he was trying to hide it, her acknowledgment of his predicament was somehow reassuring. To know that he wasn’t alone in whatever this was, it felt good, and he nodded at her to show that he heard and appreciated her. Though still praying to the goddess that this was just a spell, a dream, a hallucination.

The two broke free of the tree line at last, and found themselves in open pasture. It almost reminded him of home, but the season was all wrong, and it just... wasn’t. Not to mention the giant spire looming in the distance- home did not have one of those. ”What’s that?” he asked, brown eyes fixed on the spire.

[say]"You're welcome...Killy."[/say] she said with a light laugh. He had vetoed Kill after all, not Killy.

He asked about the Spire and she glanced up at it with a slight frown. [say]"That's the Spire. You've arrived at a...interesting time."[/say] she said quietly. [say]"About 300 or so years ago, the Spire was erected by the Old Gods, Vi, Rae, and Mort to entrap a New God called the Voice. She was a mortal that somehow ascended to godhood herself and was wreaking havoc. The Spire also generated a barrier and everyone here was trapped inside. But she somehow managed to reach out and began calling people here from other worlds to try and free her."[/say] she said, talking him through the history and recent events. [say]"The Old Gods had also trapped their counterparts in the barrier, Safrin, Frey, and Ludo. I think mostly to look after the people but...300 years is a long time for any place to be completely cut off from everywhere else. The Spire was breached, the barrier lifted and the Voice released not too long ago."[/say] she said quietly, still frowning slightly. It was troubling to her. They had needed to get out for the people's sake...but she wondered after the cost.

Killy. Oh well, at least it wasn’t Kill. He could handle Killy, plus he liked being teased so he didn’t mind. He just pursed his lips at her, brows furrowed in a pretend scowl.

Pheebs started to talk about the Spire, and very quickly the tale turned confusing. He began to realize that no hallucination or dream could’ve been this intricately designed. This didn’t bode wonderfully with him, it made his stomach feel a bit uneasy, but he just kept listening to her to keep his worries under control. She gave a story of gods and mortals, of magic barriers and voices and so forth. Killian’s world had gods too, so the idea that this world had them wasn’t any kind of shock to him. He was well accustomed to the dealings of gods and mortals. After all, he had been heir to a goddess’s magic. Had been. Wherever he was now, there was no Soleil. He couldn’t feel her light on his skin anymore. He could feel the sun, this world’s sun, it was warm and bright but it wasn’t the goddess.

Here he only had Phoebe, so he decided to try and focus on her instead of how he was sorely missing the world he’d so many times run from. ”Are your gods dangerous then? Mine just kind of watched, and blessed people sometimes, and made their nations fight for them like a bunch of stupid sheep. But sounds like yours are really...” he paused to gesture away his thoughts in one awkward hand movement, that indirectly meant, ahhhh.

[say]"Well, I certainly wouldn't advise making them mad."[/say] she said with a small smile. They had cursed people after all. Ludo and Frey mostly. That as of yet had not proven to be Safrin's style. But she was pretty sure even she had an end of her fuse and was more than capable of doling out some doosy punishments if she so wished. But how involved were they? She tilted her head to the side a bit, considering his question.

[say]"Well...as far as I know, only the Voice has involved mortals in her disputes, hence all the barrier and Spire things."[/say] she said. [say]"But I've not heard of the Old Gods pulling mortals into their disputes...and I know for certain they don't all get along perfectly. But I have only met Safrin, Ludo, and Frey, and of those Frey is the only one I have met multiple times. And they are very interested in certain aspects of people's lives, as is their nature."[/say] she said with a small smile. Frey would've been more blunt about it.

As they entered the town he would notice many buildings were still abandoned and in a state of ruin, but others were repaired and occupied. [say]"I've never met Vi, Rae, or Mort. I am sure they are much too busy, too important to concern themselves with a midwife."[/say] she said with a light laugh, leading him to her clinic. Inside it was warm and cozy, filled with overstuffed furniture, soft blankets, and the smell of soothing spices.

[say]"So this barrier thing,"[/say] he started, regarding what she said about the Voice and the spire. [say]"It trapped you guys inside, why? To keep you in or keep bad stuff out?"[/say] She was explaining pretty well, but he didn't really understand where he stood in all this. Was it even safe here?

Soon they were coming upon a town, if you could call it such. It was obviously lived in, but not necessarily alive. It was by no means the capitol, teeming with color and pulse, but more of a refuge. [say]"What happened to the buildings?"[/say] Killian asked, brown eyes scrutinizing every cobble and overgrown brush. It was a little exciting, he had to admit, being somewhere so vaguely familiar yet entirely new. But mostly, troubling.

Phoebe lead the boy into her clinic, which was a very warm place. It was relieving, to be somewhere so small and cozy and safe after having been told that the whole world outside was different. At least this clinic had no surprises, no barriers or gods. Just the two of them, and a sweet herbal aroma.

Killian smiled a bright and genuine smile as she laughed, he hovered back near the front of the clinic. [say]"They don't know what their missing,"[/say] he replied playfully, then glanced around at the various things in the clinic. There was a silence, where Killian reflected upon the situation. He realized that he had one very important question to ask before resigning himself to what seemed to be the truth. [say]"So I'm really stuck here huh, there's no way back?"[/say]

[say]”It was to trap the Voice.”[/say] Phoebe said as she went to the back of her shop to look through a closet. [say]”She started a war I think and so Vi, Mort, and Rae trapped her body in the Spire and the barrier trapped all of her followers. They are called Ascended and she gives them special abilities…though those that are around nowadays I am not certain are quite the same as they were three hundred years ago when the Voice was trapped.”[/say] she said. [say]”You can actually see where it was, there is a distinct line all around this place. Its lush and beautiful beyond where the barrier was.”[/say]

Phoebe smiled a little and brought him a towel, pausing by the stove to put a kettle on. Some tea would get him warmed up and ward off any chill. [say]”I’m not sure…I think it is just 300 years of difficulty. There aren’t many people who were born here, though they do outnumber folk like us. Life wasn’t easy in the barrier. I am sure it was some combination of conflict and monsters. Perhaps even whatever final scuffle there was leading up to the Spire and barrier being created.”[/say] she said, speculating a little bit.

Her cheeks flared red as he insinuated that somehow the top three deities were missing out by not meeting her. [say]”Oh they aren’t really missing anything. I’m really not that important.”[/say] she said quietly, grabbing one of her calming teas to brew up for him. The melancholy smile returned at his last question as she glanced back at him. [say]”Yes, I am afraid so.”[/say]