Court of the Fallen
A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: A Wordsworth Family Adventure (/showthread.php?tid=2134)

Pages: 1 2

A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Samuel - 11-09-2019

When he'd tried to think of someone to take with him on his second snake grabbing task, Evie had not been the first person on Sam's mind. But he'd already taken Remi and Jigano to the Bone Bridge and there were only so many things he could place on his stronger friend's shoulders...and Nate...he felt anxious to take his lover anywhere, for he knew if he was injured the man would want to keep him home forever, and there was too much to do.

Eventually his mind had turned to Evie. After their last conversation he had been quietly hopeful they could have at least a civil relationship, perhaps even a friendly one with time. While he might have to fudge some of the details as to how his hand had ended up as it had, he could probably sell the trip into the woods as a pleasant Flowerbirth walk, even if they had to get a snake.

He had arranged to meet her at the edge of the woods and he waited anxiously, dressed in a heavy coat (it was still cold this time of year and he still took joy in the simple feeling of wrapped-up warmth) with his hands in his pockets, both for the heat and to hide his hand from her as they first met, as he knew it could be a little shocking.

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Evie - 11-13-2019

Evie can't say she isn't at least mildly suspicious of the invitation she receives from Sam. Though she's admittedly worried for him with how tensions have grown and become more public about the Ascended, she knows he isn't the type to seek her out even after their last positive interaction. He would have been too self-conscious, too weak-willed to seek her out and make the first step. Not that she hadn't intended to, but she had admittedly been busy with half-adopting a weird child and preparing for LongNight.

Despite her suspicions, she doesn't consider not answering. If he needs something of her, she will be there. Just as she worries in private, it's easier to admit that she'd be there in a moment to aid him if he so much as reached out. Perhaps even if he didn't. Even at their worst, she had never wanted him to really be harmed. Maybe on the surface, but she has grown a lot since then, and is still coming to terms with her own defensive feelings.

The spring air is crisp and inviting as she departs her shop, closing up behind her and setting her little placard to 'closed'. Sets out early so she can take her time enjoying the new, flowering scenery. By the time she sees Sam's shock of red hair on the horizon, she is much calmer than she'd been that morning - stiff with nerves, habitual defensiveness, a little pissed at having to get up early on anyone's terms but her own. She walks right up to him, grabs at the arm of his coat and shakes it a little as she smiles. [say]"Alright Sammykins, talk. I don't mind the walk, but what did you really call me out here for?"[/say] She's not the praying type, not anymore, but she hopes it's nothing particularly serious.

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Samuel - 11-13-2019

Sam heard Evie coming of course, with his Ascended abilities, but he gave her the joy of pretending to be surprised when she pulled at his sleeve. Admittedly he hammed it up a little, gasping and stepping back as if the sight of her was intensely shocking. [say]"Can I not just want to go on a walk with my sister?"[/say] He asked, a smile on his lips that felt odd after the crushing depression of the last few weeks.

Setting off into the woods the smile faltered a little as he let go of the pretence, unable to keep it up for too long. [say]"We are here because of this."[/say] He said, taking his wounded hand out of his pocket and holding it up before the both of them, his absent fingers seeming all the more noticeable as he showed it to someone new.

[say]"I um...lost some things during Longnight."[/say] Sam added, as if it were not painfully obvious, speaking more to fill the air than anything else. [say]"There is something in these woods that might help me to get my hand healed fully."[/say]

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Evie - 11-19-2019

He's far too put together for her to have startles him, but she grins in satisfaction nonetheless. His own perks up his appearance significantly, though Evie nonetheless rolls her eyes, aware that he's most definitely lying to her. [Say]"If you couldn't lie to me for nearly thirty years, you really think you can start now?"[/say] But her voice isn't as sharp as it used to be, more concerned than anything with how he had asked her here so suddenly.

Sam can't hold out for long - was never really able to in his life - and as he admits to having a secondary intention, her eyes fall to the hand he reveals. Her heart leaps immediately into her throat, a strangled noise escaping in place of a tangle of words that compete for space on her tongue. She gently takes his hand in her own, concern nearly knocking her over. LongNight has taken many things from the Naturals over the years, but she hates that he has been harmed so directly, wonders what caused it. [Say]"Gods, Sam...what happened?"[/say] Her voice breaks revealingly, but she doesn't care. She wants so badly to offer her healing, especially with how she has been agonizing over telling him she's Abandoned, but she knows there's nothing her powers can do for him as an Ascended. It makes her ache all the more.

But if he thinks something here can help, she will offer all her possible assistance. Gently withdrawing her touch, brows still drawn tight with worry, she gestures towards the forest and begins to walk towards it. [Say]"What do you need to get from here? Is...is the Voice going to heal you?"[/say] It feels wrong to say her name, but maybe Sam is lucky enough to have a God who looks out for him, who can help fix what Evie cannot.

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Samuel - 11-20-2019

[say]"Well, it's more of a half-truth than a lie."[/say] Sam said, though his smile did falter some at the reminder of just how much work they had to do to wrestle a sibling relationship out of the mess of their childhoods.

It seemed that Evie was still shocked to see his hand, even with their distance. In the weeks since it had happened Sam had begun to grow used to the sight of his cut-off knuckles - hearing Evie's voice made him realise all over again quite the extent of his injury. His hand easily went with hers, Sam surprised that she would reach to touch him with quite such concern. [say]"I um...had to go outside during Longnight. I had a run in with a monster...but it's alright, Nate wrapped it up for me."[/say] He neglected to mention quite why he'd been outside.

The trees beginning to close around them, Sam peered through the branches as they went past. [say]"I need a hanging snake. The Voice wants me to get that, some..bones, which I have, and some electrified metal. She'll use those to make me new fingers."[/say] Evie had been kind about The Voice before, so he did not feel as anxious discussing The Voice with her as he might other accepted.

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Evie - 11-22-2019

[say]"Half-truths are also half-lies, and I'm a cup half empty kind of girl,"[/say] she shoots back, though her own smile is ill-contained. His hesitation is a glaring sign to her, if only because she has so often taken advantage of them in the past. With all the faked grace and confidence of a girl who has lied her way into perfection, Evie bulldozes past the reminder of their tumultuous past.

Which isn't the greatest choice, considering what he reveals to her moments later. It still makes her stomach churn, worry creasing her forehead and turning the corners of her mouth down at the ends. His explanation is weak at best, and his justification even worse. Growing up they had always been told that they should not leave the house for any reason. [say]"Damn it Sam you're not invincible just because you're Ascended now. Don't do it again. Please."[/say] The plea is stilted but sincere. Definitely unused to using the word in the first place. A discomfort that she avoids plainly by keeping her gaze on the trees that begin to tower over them as they cross the threshold into the safety of their boughs.

[say]"I'm glad she's looking out for you,"[/say] she admits softly, eyes already scanning for the intelligent snakes that - true to their name - would likely be found hanging about in the canopy. [say]"We don't have to kill it do we?"[/say] Evie certainly will if it means getting Sam his fingers back, but the idea is a little saddening to consider. If The Voice is going to be using it to give the appendages back it likely wouldn't survive anyway, but doing it herself is a bit daunting.

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Samuel - 11-22-2019

Sam made no further comment on half-truths, unsure of what else to say and scared of ruining the relationship they had begun to build, which he still was not sure of the foundations of. He felt sometimes as if one misguided word could end up in the burning down of all progress they had made so far.

He was very surprised to hear the concern and panic in her voice. It had not occurred to him when he had gone out in the darkness that he would be making people worry, but even if it had Evie would not have been high on the list of suspected mourners. [say]"...I know. It was...I felt it was important. Believe me, I knew the risks...and I got a reminder, anyway."[/say] Conscious of it still, he put his hand back in his pocket.

[say]"No. Or at least, I don't think so. I think she will want it alive. I know if you hold them on the neck, just behind their neck, they can't bite you, so I can take it home like that and find a box."[/say] The idea of grasping a snake did make him shiver a bit, but he was much more ready to deal with it now than he would have been a year or so prior, before he'd had to live through things much worse than holding a wiggly animal. [say]"Oh, is that one there...?"[/say]

He stopped, crouching a little and pointing before them, where a dark shape curled down from a branch, slightly in the shadows. [say]"Do you think we should just try to grab it?"[/say]

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Evie - 11-25-2019

[say]"And did you get what you needed? Was it worth it?"[/say] Perhaps it's cruel to push, to ask, when already he has admitted to being reminded of the foolishness of going out during LongNight. But Evie is also curious, wonders what could have possibly been enough of a driving force to get Sam out that door. What was it he'd been seeking? And had he found it in the end?

Evie's nose wrinkles slightly at his decision to simply grasp the snake behind the head the entire way. [Say]"They are usually found in satchels and sleeping rolls, if we can lure it inside you can just take mine."[/say] If she can avoid any kind of violence or discomfort on the snake's behalf she'll do her best to ensure it. Though she'd kill it for Sam's sake, she'd rather have it be comfortably transported in what are potentially its last moments.

Their target comes into view, and Evie crouches when Sam does, peering at the snake he points out and hesitating. [Say]"They're drawn to warmth...maybe I should try to coax it down and you can be ready with the bag?"[/say] The weather was warming slowly this spring, hopefully the hanging snake would be more inclined to find a warm host instead of biting her. Seeing as how she was the only one of the two of them who could still emit warmth, that leaves the task to her. Edging forward she lifts her arm, reaching it out towards the snake slowly and then pausing, just in case it wants to taste or scent her. Keeping her breaths even to still the minor anxiety in her veins.

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Samuel - 11-26-2019

Honestly, Sam didn't know what it was he had needed, never mind if he'd gotten it. After a long hesitation, he answered: [say]"..No. It was not worth it. One of my friends was very badly hurt, much worse than I, and I will always have that on my conscience."[/say] He sighed - Rexanna was on his mind very often nowadays, but he hated to be reminded of it outside of his own punishing thoughts.

[say]"Oh. That's...probably better, yes."[/say] He admitted. After all, he did not want to hold a snake.

He took the bag from Evie, following just behind her as quietly as he could, arms outstretched holding the satchel open. If he still had had breath, he would have held it - while he knew Hanging Snakes were not particularly dangerous, the moment still felt tense. Sam got the bag as far under the snake as he could, waiting for Evie to drop it in.

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Evie - 11-30-2019

After a long moment of consideration, Evie drifts closer and bumps their shoulders lightly. Keeping her eyes on the branches overhead. [Say]"I'm sorry to hear that."[/say] There's no point in chastising him any further considering he's aware of his own hasty decision. And considering his literal loss of his fingers, it's probably not something Evie needs to drive home.

It's easier to focus on their task after that, to move on from the conversation that is still stilted. The bridge is being built, but navigating the unsteady structure requires a certain finesse that Evie has in short supply. It's easier to focus on the snake that eyes her, tongue flickering out to taste her offered warmth. And if the branch dips a little lower than it should beneath the snake's weight as it moves, she prays Sam will not notice. The weight of the reptile on her is strange, but she stays still and as calm as she can be externally as it slithers up her forearm. Before it has a chance to burrow into her coat, she lowers her arm and directs it towards her pack, coaxing it in uncertainly and hoping for the best.

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Samuel - 12-01-2019

[say]"..Thank you."[/say] Sam said, unsure how to deal with the sympathy from Evie. She was showing herself to be much kinder than he had ever given her credit for over and over, but there was still an uncomfortable tension within him at accepting it. Perhaps because on this particular subject, he had received such harsh words from most people close to him; it felt wrong that Evie would be the exception to that, of all people.

So focused on the snake itself and irrationally concerned it might bite him, Sam did not at all notice the weight, correct or no, on the branch. As Evie gently pushed the snake down into the bag he lifted it and knocked it the last few inches, until the bag was heavy with the weight of his new capture. Quickly, he buckled the satchel shut and held it before him, staring at the slithering mass inside.

[say]"I did not think it would be so easy."[/say] He said, smiling to himself, then to Evie. [say]"Thank you so much. Perhaps when we work together we are actually a decent team."[/say] After all, it was what siblings were meant to be, wasn't it? He had never truly known a proper relationship with his sister, but he remembered reading of brothers and sisters in books that were friends through everything, even if they fought.

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Evie - 12-04-2019

Another day, another successful deception of her twin. It feels worse than normal, getting away with it this time. Twisted, like the words cling in her throat with a desperation to admit decades worth of secrecy into the air. But as always it gets choked down beneath a veneer of control. Focusing blue eyes on her satchel as Sam awkwardly closes it around the snake.

[Say]"Certainly anticlimactic. And here I was hoping you'd offer me some fun when you called me out here."[/say] Her snide remark comes off far too teasing, but Evie's getting weirdly used to it by now. It's worth it for the puppy dog smile he aims her way, even if it makes her roll her eyes habitually. As if it matters when her mouth twitches into a smile despite it. [Say]"Well third time's the charm right? So hang in there before you start making us team shirts or something."[/say] A delightfully disgraceful idea, their parents would hate it. Evie loves it now. Eyeing the bag (damn, she hopes Sam brings it back, it's her favorite) she flicks her gaze up to her brother. [Say]"Sooo is that it?"[/say] It's not like she could accompany him to The Voice. She really doesn't want to get turned into dust.

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Samuel - 12-04-2019

[say]"We don't have to stop the walk right now. If you want to go and try to find some fun, we could."[/say] He pointed out, though it was clear he was not going to be involved in any dangerous fun from the way he was making many faces just from having to hold the bag containing the snake, holding it at arms length as if just the movements might somehow hurt him.

If she did want to walk on, it was not it. But his mind went in the same way as hers, Sam wondering if Evie would like to meet The Voice. Pausing for a moment, frowning and looking at the ground, he asked: [say]"Can I ask...would you be willing to come and speak to The Voice? Maybe not when I'm going for my fingers. But with me some other time..? I'm sure she'd love to see you."[/say]

RE: A Wordsworth Family Adventure - Evie - 12-11-2019

Laughter bubbles up her throat, a gentler kind of teasing sound than the mockery her vocal chords are used to. Gross, she's going soft. [Say]"If you think we can find fun without you keeling over with anxiety over a little snake, sure."[/say] A harmless thing, but his squeamish reaction is hilarious to her. Big sister rights and all that. As if she has ever needed a reason to mock Sam. Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline a matriarchal complex.

Of course twin bond bullshit aside he seems to read her mind. Evie is proud to say she doesn't outwardly stiffen, though the desire lingers in her muscles like an ache she can't massage away. The silence lingers for a few moments as she gathers her words, her thoughts. [say]"Love is a strong word Sammykins."[/say] Normally a jest, but it falls flat this time, self-conscious. [Say]"I can't guarantee she'll like me. But...yeah, I'd be willing to meet her. She's important to you."[/say] Here she shrugs awkwardly, the words unintentional as they slip out without her permission. Using the motion to somehow scrub away the gross sentimentality that comes alongside it. Would The Voice reveal Evie's status to Sam? Try to convince her to be Ascended? There are so many terrifying notions, and yet her curiosity, her gnawing desire to be seen and wanted by a God is powerful. So many years of being shunned, she can't help but grasp the opportunity with both hands.