Court of the Fallen
I must confess - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: I must confess (/showthread.php?tid=3207)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: I must confess - Korbin - 04-30-2020

A ringing sound started up in his ears with the man's replies. Some part of Korbin could acknowledge the rightness of it, but that piece of him was drowned by a swiftly rising surge of anger. Red hot and blinding, completely irrational; he tried to hold it back but it bled through the bond despite his efforts to conceal it.

[say]"No!"[/say] he heard himself snarl, [say]"It's not an option! You don't belong, you're not welcome, so stay the fuck away!""[/say]

In a flash the young man was on his feet, teeth bared and fists clenched. Under his skin, something feral was stirring, moving, twisting until his skin crawled and it was all he could do not to lash out again. He actually trembled where he stood, the chest heaving; blinding impulses flashing before his eyes - to kick, punch, bite and tear - but it wasn't him. Couldn't be, shouldn't be... He hated fighting and this was a completely ridiculous reason for it even if he was normally inclined that way.

A quiet snarl tore from him, and with great effort he kept himself in place. Like a string pulled too tight, quivering and just waiting to snap. But why? Where did this anger come from, why couldn't he let it go? Bewilderment only added to the frustration - an endless, vicious cycle with no outlet.

The only thing he knew for sure was that this had absolutely nothing to do with Sunjata.

RE: I must confess - Sunjata - 04-30-2020

Oh, he grows angry quite quickly. It doesn’t phase Sunjata, not as he remains in the sand and watches as Korbin snarls, as he stands in an instant, quite pissed off and ready to fling venom here and there. But to Sunjata? He’s heard it all before, again and again. The venom and fury doesn’t hold the same weight anymore, not like it used to when he’d first arrived.

So he shifts in the sand to go and stand, to wipe off the sand coating his legs and arms, nearing Korbin to look him in the eye if he wants to spit the vitriol of it all. “[say]Where would I go, Korbin?[/say]” He asks – because is it really that different from Sunjata being in Torchline to the Naturals here? Was it any different from the Naturals of the Grounds? It wasn’t. They were all just as prideful of their homes, wanting to keep them all safe against the Outlanders that found their way in.

There’s a small sneer that crosses his face with it, the thought of it all. “[say]I can’t go back to my world. And from that logic, I don’t belong anywhere here. So what then? I’m not welcome, I’m tolerated at best.[/say]” His head tilts avianlike to that, working his jaw for a brief moment before he exhales a loud sigh. “[say]You can sit there and pretend that Halo is the best place in the world and "woe is me, nobody understands it like I do."[/say]” His gaze flickers across Korbin’s face with that. “[say]But you’re not any different from those in the Grounds that spout the same. Not any different from those here in Torchline that say the same. What makes you special compared to them, to pretend like you know what’s best for everyone?[/say]” It's an honest question at the very least. “[say]I didn’t ask to come here.[/say]” He’d simply fell in.

It was all he could do to keep himself still, quietly howling for a reason to unleash himself. But it didn't came, because his rage was met with cold calm, with reasonable words that struck at the sensible part of him that still remained somewhere deep within the boy. The kind, caring person who didn't actually hate anyone. But it was so sadly drowned out by the emotional fireworks going on within Korbin's head that he couldn't hear it. Just felt the stirring of compassion and raged against that too, because fuck it, he didn't want to feel that way. Not about anything or anyone and especially not this guy, who had the doubtful honor of being the main culprit in Korbin's tale of woe.

[say]"I wouldn't give a fuck where you go or what you do,"[/say] he snapped, lips curled into a snarl that should have bared vicious fangs... except it didn't, [say]"as long as you stay away from my home and my family.

"But that's too late, because you've already stepped in and meddled where you're not wanted or needed. If it weren't for you, my life wouldn't be turned on its head. If you'd just kept your mouth shut, Weaver wouldn't have gotten the idea of that fucking bar in her head and things would still be the way they were.

"We were fine before you, and we would still be fine if you dropped off a cliff, so why don't you go do that and solve everyone's problem."[/say]

It was lightning flashing in his head, poison dripping from his tongue, words meant to cut deeper than any knife ever could. Something deep inside curled up in shame and horror at the bile he was spewing, but it was powerless to stop this.

Not quite aware of it, Korbin had been moving as he spoke. Stalked closer, one step at a time, in some insane urge to push the other man back, make him submit, surrender...

But the only thing he accomplished was to put himself within arms reach of the taller man.

There’s a small part of Sunjata that understands where Korbin’s coming from. But there’s that other part of him that pulls at the leash – to try and make Korbin see that it’s not entirely Sunjata’s fault that things had changed. If it wasn’t him, then it would have been someone else. If it wasn’t him whispering the idea of bars in Weaver’s ear on a hot Longheat day, that someone else would have come along to try and give her the opportunity she sought.

But sure, Korbin could blame him all he wanted, Sunjata didn’t care. “[say]You’re right, it is too late.[/say]” He offers back, accent a hint thicker as he cocks his head toward Korbin and offers one of those fanged smiles – one that’s pointed sharper than before, of a snake shift that lingers in his soul now. “[say]Were you fine? Before me, that is.[/say]” He asks, closing the slight distance that Korbin also closes, until Sunjata’s steel gaze lingers down at Korbin, a raise of his brow in question of whether or not things were absolutely fine.

Of course, he can’t keep his tongue either, and with it that similarly cruel smile crossing his face. “[say]Because if you’d been fine, then she wouldn’t have agreed to my terms, would she? If you were fine on your own or enough, she wouldn’t have looked elsewhere to try and fix what was wrong, would she?[/say]” Perhaps it’s unfair, but he’s just as strong at throwing venom back. He’d learned from the best, after all.

But he makes no move other than that, if Korbin wants to start the fight, Sunjata will let him.

The ringing in his ears rose to a high pitch as Sunjata's words struck home, struck deep, touched upon the deep, festering wound that rested in his mind.

It was true, wasn't it? He hadn't been enough. She had chosen the help of an outsider over him. Had sold herself to this arrogant, pompous asshole just to get off the Tundra, instead of asking Korbin to step up and do more. Why? Why didn't she trust him? Why didn't she rely more on him? He had clearly fallen short somewhere, and Korbin couldn't see where. Because he wasn't good enough a fighter? Because he wasn't good enough a hunter? Because he wasn't Erebor, with broad shoulders steady as the Fangs to carry her burdens?

It burned, it hurt, and the pain really was the final drop. Korbin's fist hurtled towards Sunjata's jaw before he even registered the intent within himself, and by then it was too late. It was no soft punch like he might throw at Weaver, or made dull by hesitation. No, Korbin aimed the blow with every intent of hurting the Flood, nothing held back.

He expects his words to hit just as low, to slice through Korbin just as much as Korbin’s had an attempt on his own. But they were all words that he was used to hearing, not just here. But back home as well – a ‘you’re not welcome here, prince,’ that had stuck with him the entirety of the time he’d spend in the rebellion regardless of the work he’d done. And when his father had destroyed it, all his credibility with it had vanished.

So when Korbin goes to throw the punch, he is relatively surprised, watching as it veers toward his jaw – but they’re too close for Sunjata to do anything but take it – the glancing blow to his jaw that he has his teeth clenching against the singing, vibrating feeling Korbin’s punch has given. And with it, a sharp exhale as he surveys Korbin, wondering if it’d helped at all.

Wouldn’t be the first time someone had gone to his face, after all.

“[say]Nice shot.[/say]” Is all he offers back.

And if Korbin hadn’t held back, well, Sunjata was the Arbiter of Torchline. Was the owner of the boxing ring here. Was trained as a soldier from quite a young age. He could throw them back. So he has no qualms, reaching up to rub at his jaw briefly before his gaze narrows on Korbin and his left hand takes a familiar fist, feet taking a familiar stance in the sand, and throwing his left hook back at Korbin’s own jaw.

It didn't help. Fighting never helped, it just added to the depth of self-loathing he felt whenever he gave in to impulse, to emotion, to whatever instincts that raged in him at the time. It was a loss of control, this. Every spewed word, every shaking breath, from the crack of contact as his fist connected with Sunjata's jaw, to the flash of pain that cut through his knuckles on impact.

He had lost the moment he lashed out with his emotions down the bond, and this was just further evidence of his unworthiness. Weaver would not have lost her temper. Wouldn't have gotten into a stupid fight at all.

But now he was in it, and didn't see a way out. Sunjata snapped a comment at him but Korbin didn't answer, wasn't cool-headed enough to throw banter around - the ringing in his ears was too loud, the film of red before his eyes too dark.

He saw the fist coming and knew it would land before it did. Korbin was too close, too used to being the sandbag for his sister and their brother before that. When the fist connected he tried to roll with it, but fuck, it hit hard enough to make white flashes dance before his eyes. There was a shap stab of pain in his lip, and the taste of warm blood filled his mouth.

Korbin had been trained to fight. Wasn't fond of it, wasn't as good at it as his sister, but he knew how to take punches. He swallowed the blood - don't waste resources, boy -  and sidestepped with the momentum, turned back and launched into a counter, aiming a quick punch to the man's gut while the other went for the throat.

It wasn't boxing, what Korbin was doing. It was the Halo style of fighting, a different kind of hand to hand where the goal was to take the opponent down quickly and efficiently.

No mercy - or so it was supposed to be.

RE: I must confess - Sunjata - 05-01-2020

The bruise blossoms, and Sunjata hisses quietly under his breath – though he’s sure that Korbin doesn’t hear it. Not when he balls his own fist, throwing that hook toward Korbin as if it were a lesson of sorts. And collide it does, putting a fair amount of his weight into it, knuckles popping against the impact of Korbin’s own jaw as it collides. Those predatory instincts of his kick in with the spark of blood, a somewhat zoned attention drawn to him.

And when he withdraws, to try and get a better stance – a bit of distance, Korbin starts to go somewhat wild. He focuses on what he can tell, the attack to his gut hitting where it’s aimed, the one to his throat a bit lower than intended, hitting him hard with a crack against his collarbone. He doesn't think it's broken, but it surely hurts with that momentary shining spark of pain. So of course, Sunjata stumbles back a bit, the pang of pain glimmering in the back of his mind, that leash released now that Korbin isn’t sticking to a standard fight pattern.

Fine, fair enough.

So he goes again, jaw clenched tight though it might end up backfiring should another shot to his face come about, and he takes an advancing step toward Korbin, aiming one fist at Korbin’s side at his ribs to hopefully knock the air out of him and send him off balance (maybe break one, who knows!), while Sunjata turns to swing out his leg to try and take the raven to the sandy ground.

RE: I must confess - Korbin - 05-01-2020

If the blow to the man's throat had landed where it was meant to, it could have crushed Sunjata's windpipe. It was how it was supposed to happen, but the man shifted just enough that Korbin found his fist slamming hard into the collarbone, while the other connected with the rock-solid muscles of Sunjata's abdomen. Pain zinged through his fingers as they made contact with bone, mingling with a blinding relief that he hadn't actually caused any life-threatening injury.

One death on his hands was enough. Didn't need to add more to the tally.

Sunjata staggered back, and somehow that small retreat settled some of the rage in the younger man. Part of the red faded from his view, and though his head still rang from the impact earlier, he could actually see the retaliation as Sunjata came back to revenge the punishment Korbin had doled out - to both their surprise, no doubt. A fist flying towards his ribs, a leg meant to sweep his feet away; gritting his teeth against what was to come Korbin stepped into the blow, closing the distance beteen them.

It connected with a force that made the bone creak and groan, and the young Halovian grunted in pain as air rushed from his lungs. But with the closed distance, he was able to parry the attempted leg-sweep, and remained standing.

Attempting to take advantage of Sunjata's lack of balance, Korbin reached to capture the fist that had struck his ribs with both hands, turned and tried to toss Sunjata over his shoulder and onto his back into the sand.

All the wile, Korbin remained silent, eerily so.

The kid steps into the blow, and takes the leg that sweeps out at him – and already Sunjata begins to move again, catching his balance just as Korbin tries to reach for the fist that collided with the raven’s side in a feeling of pale skin beneath experienced knuckles, a sound of wind leaving Korbin’s lungs. There’s the ghost of a feeling of Korbin’s hands attempting to close around Sunjata’s wrist, before the flood pulls his back and Korbin continues on his slight turn as if he’d be successful.

Good news for Sunjata, however, as his right foot plants and he surges forward with his left fist pulling back once more, ducking down a small amount to push his right shoulder into Korbin’s own to try and knock him off balance again, jaw clenched and mind focused entirely on the fight and not much else. Not the waves that roar in the distance or the moon that shines down overhead. Just the idea of trying to teach this kid a lesson and hoping something fucking works.

He’s resilient though, Sunjata can’t deny that.

RE: I must confess - Korbin - 05-01-2020

Resilient, for sure. He was trained as a fighter, even though his heart had never been in it. But no matter how much sparring he did with his sister, the experience of being in actual fights just wasn't there. And it showed, as he blundered big time, failing to catch the Flood's arm and opening up for a counter. Off balance and uncentered, he had no time to recover before a shoulder was slammed into him, knocking him over completely.

The full weight of both himself and the bigger, heavier man brought Korbin down hard into the sand, and if he'd thought it would cushion the impact for him, he was sorely mistaken. It was like landing on hard-packed snow, and the wind was knocked clean out of him, leaving him gasping and dazed, with the world spinning around him.

Only half aware of where he was and why they were even fighting anymore, the boy tried to punch at Sunjata's head, to get the man off him. It was a wild blow however, not aimed at all, and if it landed it would be a miracle indeed.

He takes the advantage, shoulder surging for Korbin’s own as he tries to take the man down. And of course, it doesn’t help that Sunjata’s dropped his weight into the move, not with the way Korbin goes down and Sunjata can’t help but to lose what little balance he has with the collision before he comes down as well.

And then Korbin starts to go wild, in such a way that Sunjata ducks and tries to get his knees under him, to hover over Korbin and try to avoid the onslaught of attacks. He’s successful, at the very least, but the bruise to his jaw and collarbone fucking hurt and he wants this over with. The alcohol is wearing off, and Sunjata wants nothing more than to go home and sleep it off, to wake up and ensure that nothing’s broken.

He reaches out, trying to grasp Korbin’s wrists in a practiced movement of his Enforcer days, trying to pin them down to keep the threat of them hitting him again from becoming a reality. “[say]Are you done?[/say]” He asks gruffly, quite heavy with his accent, subconsciously surprised he hadn’t slipped back into Korofi.

RE: I must confess - Korbin - 05-02-2020

Even knocked half senseless by the impact with the ground, the young Halovian wasn't done. He fought the hovering presence over him every step of the way, teeth bared and eyes glazed from the pain of his bruises. He would have a delightful carpet of them on his back, a nice blue-black one on the jaw, and it was quite possible that one of the ribs had been cracked just a fragment. At least it hurt enough with every struggling gasp he tried to suck down the lungs that he could be excused for thinking it broken.

He fought the grip on his wrists too, but the Arbiter was too strong for Korbin, he couldn't break free. Nor did he manage to twist his way out of the lock; hissing in frustration the boy found himself trapped. Pinned, in the most humiliating way.

[say]"Let go!"[/say] he growled - or tried to. It came out far to faint and breathless to be very intimidating at all. Korbin hated this. Hated the sand gritting between his clenched teeth, hated the warmth of the air that made him sweat, and most of all he hated every inch of skin that made contact with the other man.

There was surrender in the way he glared at Sunjata, and he kept fighting the grip, just waiting for another chance to send a fist flying.

RE: I must confess - Sunjata - 05-02-2020

He pins the other man, and watches as Korbin writhes within the sand – steel eyes shadowed and heavy as he keeps his gaze on the young attuned, ready and waiting for Korbin to think he’s let his guard down enough to let him go. Sunjata’s smarter than that, for this instance, however. And despite the light panting, he stares down at Korbin as he bares his teeth, completely unfazed by the act, by the threat, but the whine of his throat telling him to let go.

“[say]There’s something you need to learn, Korbin.[/say]” He growls back down, voice thick with his accent and the frustration evident within it. “[say]The Outlanders are here. Things are going to change. And you can either accept the way that things shift and move around you and grow, or you can stay stubborn and shitty about it, refusing all of it until you have nothing left.[/say]” A hint of a snarl edges through his throat.

Steel gaze narrows in on Korbin, sending another pulse of that frustration down toward the other man through the bond. “[say]So what are you going to do? Are you going to push everything away until you die alone?[/say]” Something through the bond cracks with that, as if he’s speaking to himself in a way that has the muscles of his arms twitching with the way he readjusts the grip to keep Korbin’s arms down from hitting him again. “[say]Or are you going to adapt?[/say]” Only then does Sunjata let Korbin go, shoving the man into the ground once more as he pulls away, shifting into his panther form and bearing his teeth are Korbin, ears pinned to his skull. [say]Make your choice and live it. But stop pretending everyone’s out to fucking get you. Nobody cares that much.[/say]