I must confess
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KORBIN
And round about his home the glory
That blushed and bloomed,
The atmosphere was loud. Rowdy. Crowded. Half-dressed people were shouting and laughing, bustling back and forth from tables to the bar and back again, with an elbow-first attitude that  sent more than one drink splashing onto the floor. A waste, one that made him cringe every time he saw it. And again, whenever it led to fists being thrown. Nothing too serious, but there was a constant threat of violence in the air that set his teeth on edge.

Korbin sat like a dark cloud of gloom at a corner table, nestling a tankard between his hands as he stared at the scenery. He'd taken no more than a few sips, confirmed that it was indeed better tasting than anything Halo had to offer before the Kraai opened, and immediately resented it. He was sweating, even when stripped down to just his light inner layers, and being overheated did nothing to improve his mood.

Somewhere, he had imagined that getting a few drinks down would improve his opinion of this place. The bar, the people, the region itself... but so far, it wasn't working.

Sighing, he pushed the drink aside.
Is but a dim-remembered story
Of the old time entombed.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
SuNjATA
the flood
You know, if you get drunk here, you’ll get even more warm.” Sunjata rumbles by way of greeting to Korbin. But he doesn’t sit beside the man, simply comes up to the side a small distance away, breaking through the rowdy crowd that begin to slow their fighting a small amount as he arrives. He’s been named the Arbiter now, though not many seem to know what that means. It doesn’t bother him in the slightest, not as he looks to whomever’s working, a nod for a drink that gets placed before him.

And he sips lightly from it before turning to look at Korbin with a slight raise of his brow. “Seems you’ve spread your feathers out from Halo. Let me guess. You hate it.” A crooked smirk crosses his face to that, teeth slightly sharp and pointed as he cocks his head to the young man. There was one thing about leaving a place you’d defend forever, and one thing for leaving to explore something quite literally the opposite of what you expect.
get a load of this trainwreck
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
KORBIN
Turns out, there were ways to make his day even worse. Add the company of his least favorite person, and look at that, the scowl on the kid's face deepens even further. The look he threw at Sunjata was annoyed, but unlike last time they met there was none of that confident bluster about Korbin. He was not at home anymore, and he knew it. Whatever bragging rights he might have in Halo didn't apply here.

"I noticed. Adds another point to the list of reasons to stay away," he grumbled. "Never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait for Deepfrost." With the borders closed and travel made impossible due to the weather, perhaps he wouldn't have to see any outlander faces for a whole season. That he would rather deal with cannibals than foreigners said a great deal, he thought.

As for whether he hated the place? Korbin shrugged. "Not that I go out of my way to resent it, but yeah. It's every bit as soft as I thought." His gaze drifted back out over the crowd, and made a face when another graceless shove past one another sent half a tankard of booze sloshing onto the floor. "You wouldn't catch anyone wasting resources like that in Halo," he frowned, as a case in point.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
SuNjATA
the flood
So why haven’t you left yet?” He challenges back, head tilting somewhat to the side at the mention of how Korbin can’t wait for Deepfrost. The portal wasn’t really all that far from here – he was welcome to depart whenever. And yet, Korbin finds himself in yet another bar – one that doesn’t have Sunjata’s name on it. He evens out and takes a long sip of the glass, shifting a small amount to lean his back against the counter, head inclined a bit toward Korbin as he surveys the rest of it.

That’s the difference though, Korbin.” He pauses, a brow lifting as he considers it. “Torchline doesn’t have the issues that Halo does. They can be reckless and waste resources, because it’s there. Not like Halo where it’s got to be imported.” And so the situations in his mind are different; apples to oranges, as the saying goes. But he draws a bit quieter, watching the crowd as it picks up the pulse of people talking too loud, laughter in the corner, arguments starting in the other corner. And all Sunjata can do is simply watch for now.
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
He shrugged, recognizing the challenge for what it was but not rising to it. His turn to shrug it off and not care. "For some reason, Weaver seems to like it here. I'm trying to understand why." Sunjata seemed intent on keeping up the conversation, and almost in self-defense Korbin reached for the tankard again. Took a deep draft from it, and wished he didn't like the taste. If this was going to keep up, he'd rather be drunk.

"Right... because there's only issues to be found in Halo, according to you." He actually sounded hurt, like the insult to his home did him some personal injury. "Why is it that everyone comes to my home and sees something that has to be fixed? The Warden, the healer, you... You take one look at the place and only see the parts that aren't perfect."

He might not be thrilled about Torchline, but was he importing Ursurs and torching the vulgarly colored houses because they offended him? Nope, he was not.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SuNjATA
the flood
A huff of laughter leaves Sunjata at Korbin’s complaints. “Your sister is entitled to having her own thoughts that don’t align with yours, you know.” A raise of his brow to that, a challenge of sorts. Weaver reminds him much of his own sister, the fiery vibrant personality that could nearly get along with anyone and anything she put her mind to. But for him? He can understand where Korbin comes from in a way, though of course the Arbiter doesn’t admit it.

Still, it’s amusing to watch Korbin begin to try and down his drink, and Sunjata sips lightly from his as he watches the crowd a bit more – steel gaze calculating and watchful. “Not issues, really. Just… Experiences they’re missing out on.” He hardly thinks bringing in decent booze is changing the world of Halo, but who knows? Maybe it is. Maybe he should be flattered. “Don’t lump me in with Loren and Neron, thanks.” He rumbles with a bit more steel, a bit less of the humor bouncing in his voice as he tilts his head again to look at Korbin.

I only did it because your sister was interested, and the Warden said I could. Other than that? I have no plans for changing Halo. You all can keep it.” He felt that way about the Grounds too – and look at where that left him. Torchline. A perfect place for him, if he had a chance to imagine one.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Korbin nodded grudgingly. "I know. But she's stupidly excited about doing and showing me these things and when I don't like it she gets disappointed. If it makes her happy I'll try. I'll do anything... but no matter what I do, I seem to let her down anyway." He frowned down into the drink. As displeased with imparting this information on the man as he was over the truth of the matter.

He listened with some disbelief to the arguments. 'Experiences missed out on' still sounded very much like 'poor Halo' to his ear, which would be incredibly offensive. But he was distracted by the changing tone as Sunjata rejected the comparison to the Warden and his twin. "Oh really? You think you're any different from them?" It was more curious than taunting. Call it an offer for a benefit of doubt. So far this guy had been consistent in his story, if nothing else, and while Korbin remained suspicious about his motives for meddling in Halo, he hadn't done anything else to invoke ire.

Which was why he let out a long sigh and leaned back in the chair. "Listen... Aside from that dagger to my throat thing, I don't have anything against you personally. I just... people always leave, alright? They die or they leave, and I see no reason to waste my time on people who won't stick around. Outlanders who barge in and romp around like newborn luxere, they're all stirring up shit that's better left alone, and if they don't die, then people around them do. Can you say I'm wrong?"

He raised the mug to his lips again, not quite looking at the Arbiter. Maybe it was the drink, but there was something wounded in his gaze that hadn't been there before. A trauma more recent than dead family members.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SuNjATA
the flood
Sunjata hums lightly under his breath, shooting a glance toward the young man. “Maybe try to give it a shot, give in for a bit. Nobody’s going to judge you if you do enjoy a piece of things here and there.” Sunjata shrugs. As much as he begrudged Halo for everything it had to offer, the people there were great. The sense of community among those in the Citadel were admirable. Still, he sips from the glass and leans back against the bar again as Korbin’s curious voice reaches him and Sunjata nods with a chuckle. “I do. In many ways, actually.

But Korbin continues on, some sort of long sigh leaving the other Attuned, and as the words slip from the man’s lips… Well, Sunjata can’t help the slight surprise that bounds from him to Korbin through the bond – surprise and swift understanding. His head ducks a small amount as he looks into the glass in his hand, lips pursing slightly as he considers where to even fucking start with a statement like that.

You and I are quite a lot alike, you know.” He finally manages after a few heartbeats of silence. “I’m pretty sure I’ve said the same thing once or twice. But then the people around me – your sister included – reminded me that perhaps it’s best to enjoy the time you get with people rather than to try and push them away for the fear of them leaving.” There’s a shadow of sorrow that cascades over him as he tries to swallow it down. “And pushing people away never quite protects them as much as you think it might.” He thinks of Maea with that, some form of guilt mixed with the frustration of it happening at all.

But he inhales deeply and tries to recover, inclining his head toward Korbin, steel gaze flickering toward the young man. “So it’s up to you to decide what you want to do. Do you take the chance and enjoy the memories or wallow away in a box the rest of your life?
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
"No?" Korbin made a face. "Maybe I will judge me. Maybe if I admit that this place isn't awful, I'd lose all my reasons for staying in Halo." Maybe if he gave the outsiders the right of it and looked at what his home really was like, he'd find he didn't love it the way he wanted to, the way he ought to... And what would be left then? Where would he go, what would he be? Those were questions he wasn't ready to ask, or answer, and so he kept rejecting everything that might force him to open his eyes. Something in his expression suggested the depth of the dilemma, and all but pleaded with the man not to push it anymore.

"Oh," he said, hoping to distract with some other subject. "What reasons would those be? How exactly are you different from them?" His curiosity was lazy, hardly caring. If there was no response, he'd be no worse off for not hearing the opinion.

The surprise to his monologue reached him then, and Korbin's brows rose at the response that followed. Dark blue eyes narrowed - he couldn't see any similarities between them, except for superficial physical ones - but he listened, not interrupting.

"It sounds really pretty. Definitely like something Weaver would say," he commented. "And how has letting people in worked out for you?" Because so far, leeping them at a distance certainly had kept Korbin sane, and functioning. He did his job, stayed alive, and so did his sister. For now.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SuNjATA
the flood
A snort is given to Korbin with the comment, a slight shrug to that. “There’s nothing wrong with criticizing where you came from. Doesn’t make you any less Halo if you admit you like parts of other places better.” He shrugs to that, pegging the other attuned with a small considering look. “The place I came from was one of the shittiest places to be born, I think. But there were parts that I loved, despite it. I’m still Korofian through and through.” Just because he was in Caido now didn’t change where he’d come from.

Korbin would always be a Halovian. Regardless of where he went.

But the question of how he’s different from Loren and Neron, he tilts his head back and forth, thinking, mulling it over. “Mmm, well. I don’t know Neron all that well. I do know Loren though. I like to think I’m more fun than he is.” He rumbles with an amused chuckle, lifting the glass to his lips before he shrugs and moves onto explain their similarities and the amusement begins to fade.

So far? Good. I’m still terrified people are going to leave, but. I think if I tried to push your sister away from being a friend of mine, she’d probably take that scythe and hit me in the back of the head with it. Claim to knock some sense into me.” A raise of his brow as he turns to look back at Korbin with an amused smirk to that.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Ah, but it felt like a betrayal. Of his parents, his siblings, of all the people who helped raise him and make him who he was. Criticizing would mean he wasn't grateful... or so it seemed to him. Unconvinced, Korbin stared down into his drink and hummed, not really happy about what he was hearing. But then, he couldn't quite recall when he'd last been truly happy, so nothing new there.

Maybe it was the uncomfortable heat of the room and his unsuitable clothes, or maybe it was the drink, but Korbin felt warmth spread within. It made him relax perhaps a bit more than intended, enough that he snorted at the comment. "Even I'm more fun than Loren," he quipped back, a wry amusement glinting within dark blue eyes. "That's setting the bar real low. That's the only difference then? And here I was, thinking you were gonna say something profound."

Then he actually laughed, a deep musical sound that had very little to do with the raucous cawing one might expect from a proffessed corvid. "That's Weaver, alright," he agreed. "Then she'll force you to shift and pluck your feathers clean off as apology. Or just because she fancies a new cloak. So I hope for your sake you don't have a bird shift."

It sounded way too much like personal experience... A notion underlined by the haunted look that passed over the young man's face.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SuNjATA
the flood
Mmm, well. You don’t know me enough for the profound things.” He teases Korbin back, a small sly smirk crossing his face. “But it is a low bar, isn’t it?” A huff of a laugh at that – deep and accented as he leans back on one elbow now, finishing the glass and setting it down on the bar – tapping the bar with a few fingers to get a refill. His gaze flickers back to Korbin as the other attuned laughs, some deep musical sound that has a crooked smile crossing his face to hear it.

The drink arrives as Korbin’s explanation arrives, and he takes a deep sip of it at the mention of pulling feathers out. “Ah, fuck.” He rumbles, somewhat amused. “She knows about mine.” He offers, keeping his gaze away from Korbin – missing the haunted gaze as he focuses on the crowd again – though his arms coat themselves in navy feathers, brighter and wider than the other attuned’s corvid form. This one is far more like a sapphire with a purplish sheen that cover both his arms all the way up to the back of his neck.

Luckily for me I have a whale shift I can threaten to get out of more intense punishment.” He shoots Korbin a wink before rolling the glass between his hands and looking out over the crowd again. “Good to know that I can keep her on my good side by giving her fancy things, though.” Some amusement lingering behind.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
"My loss, I'm sure," Korbin answered, with enough of a lilting bite to make it entirely sarcastic. But he was still smiling, the frost in his mannerism thawing ever so gradually... or perhaps literally melting off the bone, it was hard to say for sure.

The blue feathers and the revelation that Weaver knew of them made the raven boy wince in mock sympathy. "You're doomed then," he proclaimed. "Other shifts or no, she'll get you one of these days. Just gotta wash your neck and prepare for the worst, like the old warriors in days of yore." He made a dramatic sweep with one hand, and downed the rest of his drink with the other. There was a touch of color creeping up his neck, but the eyes remained sharp, and glittering with mirth.

"Still... a whale, huh. What god or goddess do I have to worship for blessings like that? Seems I haven't been praying diligently enough." Korbin looked rather glumly between Sunjata's blatant display of favor and his own pathetically plain hand. No raven feathers nor razor claws in sight, however he may try to conjure some. All he felt was the itch that came with the beginning of the shift... And he made a point not to drink and fly.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SuNjATA
the flood
A knowing nod is given to Korbin as he picks up the humor, the sarcastic tone causing Sunjata to smirk a small amount. But the conversation drifts and Sunjata’s focus remains on the crowd between sipping lightly from his drink. The comment of all the shifts, however, the dramatic gesture does cause a brighter laugh to slip from his lips. “Mmh, well. We’ll see.” He winks back to Korbin, the myriad of shifts that lingered beneath his skin edging to show more than just the feathers as he continues to rein the navy in.

The question of the shifts, however have Sunjata shrugging lightly. “Safrin.” He answers easily, turning to give Korbin a more official look. “She kissed me when I Attuned. Since then? I’ve got a macaw, panther, bull, whale, bat… and snake shift.” A raise of his brow to that, the feathers making way for glittering black scales to cover his arms and sharp, pinpoint fangs to appear in the smirk he gives Korbin.

I rebuilt the shrine in the grounds for her, too.” A shrug granted to that.