Court of the Fallen
[PQ+] I was lost, go count the cost - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [PQ+] I was lost, go count the cost (/showthread.php?tid=4655)

Pages: 1 2 3

I was lost, go count the cost - Samuel - 11-20-2020

As he'd come through the tunnel from Halo with the team he'd gathered to do this, Sam had almost made them turn around. It hadn't been so long ago that he'd left the Voice and determined he would never do anything else for the Ascended again, yet here he was taking himself and a crew to somewhere almost designed to kill them at every turn. It felt ridiculous, but he gathered his courage after a moment's doubt; this was what he had to do to win back his favour, he felt.

Besides, it would be useful, if for some Gods-forsaken reason anyone wanted to come here.

Once they reached the Burrows Sam turned to face his team, realising that he wasn't sure what to do once they got to this point. [say]"The Voice said to come here once the Ascended had been everywhere within the Climb, which I believe we have. So I suppose we should wait to see what happens, for a moment."[/say] Not actually knowing what went into portal making, Sam hoped something would happen, or he was about to look very silly.

---
Sam is beginning his PQ+ in the burrows with three other Ascended as requested in you'd be the one to understand me.

Exploration tracker:

THE CRUST {KQ} brother, where art thou Wessex
ANGELS END Into the Fire Sam/Osozo
LAVA PITS A Romantic Location Sam/Amun
THE BURROWS Out of the Frying Pan Sam/Neron
THE MOUNTAINS ROAR {SWE} through the arch Wessex
SOULFIRE REACH (SE) the glare makes me hard to find Amun
OBSIDIAN CATHEDRAL (SE) talk some sense to me Nate
FREYS BREATH (open se) taking the high road Wessex

--

1. Nate

2 Spaces left, for Ascended only please!

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Nate - 11-22-2020

Things seemed to just keep coming up, the list of tasks keeping Nate away from home growing longer, more dangerous. This was where he put his foot down though, the last adventure he went on. After all, how could he say no to a portal in the Climb? Anything to avoid the perilous journey through Halo.

There is a paltry pack of supplies strapped to Nate’s back, over the dark leather jacket he wears. A bow is sling over his shoulder as well, with a quiver of arrows resting on his hips.

An uncertain grimace marred Nate’s face as they stopped, and Sam revealed their plan, if it could even be described as that. [say]”You know if nothing happens, I’m going home, right?”[/say] The same went for if things got too dangerous, though that should without saying.

Nate brings a mundane bow and quiver of arrows, and a pack with some generic supplies in it (rope, hammer, pitons, dagger, small amount of wire, a bottle of water) as well as:

Needle & Thread | Needles change size and thread changes color depending on user's wants.

Fang Necklace | A necklace of sea panther teeth. These may be used once per thread to cause intimidation to nearby enemies. (Enemies will roll with disadvantage for that round).

hahaha he still has nothing

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Amun - 11-23-2020

Amun had told Sam the potter would be there, so the potter was there, despite his misgiving. Still, he plastered a smile on his lips. Glancing around at the small and familiar group, he cleared his throat. [say]"You all know I like it hot, but keep an eye on your temperature, everyone. And holler if something seems wrong."[/say] He himself was conducting more regular scans than usual, ready to head back at the first sign of any of them exploding or catching fire.

Again, he had his fireproof shield with him, though it was slung on his back. There was a sword at his hip. Other than that and the clothes on his back, he'd brought some rope, the cloth he always carried, and that was about it

Amun brings some rope and a sword as well as the following:

Type: Dark
Fire Resistant Shield | A lightweight but strong shield that resists fire magic. Made by Remi.

Type: Grey
Illusory Cloth | A 3x3 square of rubbery cloth. When used by an ascended onto ascended skin, it can mimic the texture or colour of whatever the applier is thinking of (changing eye colour over one eye, bits of hair, adding a scar, etc)

The world is new to you, and you to it. During PQ/PQ+/KQs/Drops, you roll with advantage on luck-based rolls and receive an extra name during drops. (In order to use this, make sure to note the ability at the bottom of each post)

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Wessex - 11-23-2020

She’d heard they needed a fourth, so Wessex appears somewhere in the Climb and manages, eventually to find them. Oops. Should have gotten better directions on her part, but in the end they have enough members and hopefully haven’t wasted too much time.

Listening to Sam’s explanation, the Wraith nods and rounds out the comments with a thoughtful look and a shrug.[say] “I guess if anything bad happens, I’ll try and continue on. I don’t think the lava - or the heat - can hurt me anyore.”[/say] It’s not a theory she’d like to put to the test, but her abilities seem to increase in fits and spurts these days and without having anyone try to kill her recently, she hasn’t been able (nor does she want to) to test the immortality thing.

Other than the few items she normally has on her, she is ill prepared to join them in this endeavor.
----------------

Wessex brings:

Monster Repellant | Will make the air hostile to the senses of any predatory monster-like creatures. Sufficient strength and mental fortification can overcome the effects of the spray. Works in a 30ft radius.  

Manufactured Adrenaline | a syringe containing a daily dose of adrenaline. Can be used once per thread. Raises all stats by 1 for one post and increases an ascendeds other senses for the duration of the thread.    

Magical Crystal (1) | When (abandoned) magic is cast at this device, it can store the power and reuse it as controlled by the wielder. (Made by Remi)

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Random Event - 11-24-2020

It's an interesting place to set the beginning of this little expedition. Why not somewhere less full of...fire? That place with the magical water seems nice.  But the Voice has her reasons. Or at least, she has so far. Hopefully, this isn't the first time she's lead you astray.

[say]We need Lava to power the portal...[/say] The Voice's words slide into the minds of her bright ones. [say]..placed into a circle dug into the earth.[/say] An image of the ground scoured nearly 1ft deep in a ring with a diameter of roughly 4ft wide.

Alright! You need to figure out a way to dig into the earth, AND get lava in the circle. No sweat for a bunch of completely combustible beings, right?

Your randomly chosen order is: Wessex, Nate, Sam, Amun. Please post within 48 hours of the person before you. And to ensure that nothing is missed, please include a summary of your actions at the bottom of your post, including the description of any magic/items/feats that are being utilized!

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Wessex - 11-24-2020

Yeah, sure, no big deal. Earth and lava? Gods above, what a way to power a portal.

Wessex considers the problem, looking from herself to everyone else, and then to the items they’ve all brought. An idea begins to take shape and the Queen starts to nod to herself, biting her bottom lip.Yes, that might just work.[say] “What if -”[/say] she begins as she unsheaths her talons and looks to Amun.[say] “You make us shovels or trowels to dig with with your metal ugrapde thingy? With all the other kinds of tools we brought, and my claws. Of course mine would just be attached to me, but -”[/say] the Wraith shrugs. It wouldn’t be the worst thing to be attached to her. Might be awkward, but she's strong, she can probably deal with the weird leverage issue.

[say] “Any other ideas?”[/say] It’s a genuine question. She knows the earth here is unstable and though a foot isn’t deep, she can’t imagine it would be a safe job. If someone has magic with them, all the better.

----------------

Wessex suggests Amun use his metal upgrade to make them some things to dig with. She offers her talons as her own shovel.

The world is new to you, and you to it. During PQ/PQ+/KQs/Drops, you roll with advantage on luck-based rolls and receive an extra name during drops. (In order to use this, make sure to note the ability at the bottom of each post)

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Nate - 11-24-2020

Digging a hole. Alright, seems simple enough. Nate nods along as Wessex suggests shovels, curses himself for not having brought along anything more useful. Then he remembered the lava, the flowing death that they will somehow have to both avoid and encourage, if they want to do this right.

[say]”If we make a channel connecting to the hole we build, we can maybe control some of the flow, and keep ourselves safe.”[/say] Not that Nate has any idea how lava works, how their disturbing this delicate crust will affect it. So long as he gets a shove though, he’s willing to get to work.

Nate will dutifully and carefully get to work shovelling as long as he’s provided with a shovel. He also suggest digging a channel so they can control the lava flow into their pool.

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Samuel - 11-24-2020

Thankfully, they weren't just left to silently fumble around the Climb themselves. Sam shut his eyes as their Goddess spoke to them then nodded, trying to swallow down any of the dread in his throat at the idea of having to move the lava; surely the Voice knew that was a very bad idea for them? Still, this was what she had asked them to do, so he would do his best to help do it.

Wessex asked Amun for a shovel and he looked over expectantly, not knowing that Amun had that ability but happy to hear that they had a way to do this other than simply using their hands. With the image in his head, as they waited for Amun to bring out shovels, Sam dragged the tip of his shoe in the earth in the shape the Voice had requested, trying his best to make sure it was even; he used his shield stood in the middle of it to see if it lined up with the spherical shape.

--

Sam marks out a circle on the ground with his shoe to start digging!

And just in case ; D :

The world is new to you, and you to it. During PQ/PQ+/KQs/Drops, you roll with advantage on luck-based rolls and receive an extra name during drops.

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Amun - 11-25-2020

Nodding at Wessex's suggestion, Amun reached out to lay a finger on the Wraith's claws. With his upgrade, he transformed the metal there into vaguely shovel-shaped objects for her to dig with. Next he unsheathed his sword. [say]"Give me whatever spare metal you have."[/say] He personally hadn't brought much, but he made the sword into three shovel heads, handing one to Sam and Nate.

Then the potter knelt in the circle that the bookmaker had scuffed out. Eying the measurements for a moment, he began to dig a circle 1ft deep and 4ft across, straining against the hard earth of the ground. Brow furrowed in concentration, he ignored the problem of the lava for now.

Amun uses his metal manipulation upgrade to make Wessex's claws into shovels and his sword into three shovel heads. Giving one to Nate and Sam, Amun starts to dig a circle 1ft deep with a 4ft diameter.

Metal Manipulation Upgrade | When in contact with metal, can conduct electricity through it making it malleable. Surfaces larger than 6ft by 6ft take considerable effort. The ability works best the higher the metal content, becoming unstable at anything below 50%.

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Random Event - 11-29-2020

It's a good thing that the trio of shovel-head-holders are ascended, because it will take an uncomfortable amount of finger-tip and hand strength to try and dig with what Amun is able to create. Lucky that he had his sword, or you'd all be shearing off layers of your own skin were you to dig with your hands.

Digging is difficult. The ground here is not fertile soil, but a hard rocky crust. Amun as a potter is the only one used to working with his hands in quite this way, and so he can more easily sense where and how much pressure should be applied. Nate is not as lucky as Sam, and a good portion of the doctor's shovel breaks off, leaving him with a jagged bit of metal to use. Wessex's claws-turned-shovel are strong, but not as effective. The metal has been calibrated with her hands for slashing and piercing, not for digging. Though it won't hurt, the Queen will feel the metal upgrade in her skin begin to move unsteadily, threatening to break or worse, to shear through her skin.

Alright! You need to figure out a way to dig into the earth, AND get lava in the circle. No sweat for a bunch of completely combustible beings, right?

Your randomly chosen order is: Wessex, Nate, Sam, Amun. Please post within 48 hours of the person before you. And to ensure that nothing is missed, please include a summary of your actions at the bottom of your post, including the description of any magic/items/feats that are being utilized!

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Wessex - 11-30-2020

Well. In theory it wasn’t a bad idea… and for a moment she thinks it might work. However, as metal breaks and her own talons begint to feel dangerously unsteady, Wessex pulls back from her attempts and knows she has to concede - at least on digging this way. Frowning, she extends her metal talon-shovel to Amun and quietly asks for him to turn them back into what they were meant to be: slicing and dicing weapons.

[say] “I’ve got lightning magic in this crystal,”[/say] she says thoughtfully, though personally, she’d be loathe to use it outside of the lightning storms.[say] “Could try to blast a hole, but that feels… dangerous. “[/say] With a glance to the others to see what they think, the Wraith leaves the door open for any other sutggestions, any powers they might have recently collected, or alternative ways to dig.

------------------

Wessex warily offers up the lightning magic stored in her crystal and asks for opinion.

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Nate - 11-30-2020

Whatever metal he has to spare is dutifully handed over to Amun, scraps of wire and a dagger, for all the good it does. The earth is just as inhospitable to them as the rest of this place is, but Nate can hold his tongue, can keep his head down and try. At least until his shovel snaps. A dark rumble leaves him, curses and more muttered into his shoulder as he stands up straight, stretching while he does, and hurls the jagged remnants in his hand off to the side.

Nate grabs at his bag again, rifling through it until he pulls out a piton and his hammer. [say]”I don’t think we need to resort to lightning just yet.”[/say] Theres a savage grin spreading over his face as Nate drives the piton into the ground, driving the spike in in a single strike and pulling it out again. The plan is to go all around the perimeter, to loosen everything up. And if it doesn’t work, hey, at least he gets to work out some of his frustration.

Nate throws his hammer away and starts usi  mg a piton and hammer to loosen up the ground

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Samuel - 11-30-2020

The work was difficult, the ground harder than expected and Sam's efforts taking a long time to dent the earth properly (though he managed to do it without breaking the shovel head he had been given as Nate did). He focused on scooping motions, trying to get past the harder top layer and hopefully into something a little more yielding to their digging.

He looked up as Wessex offered her lightning and same as Nate, shook his head. [say]"That sounds like something too valuable for this. I think we can do this, with some determination and teamwork."[/say] At least they wouldn't get tired or thirsty, though there wasn't anything in their Ascended make up to stop them getting bored. Seeing Nate begin to drive in the piton, Sam began to follow where he had made a groove, scooping the ground away where the crack was forming, hoping to loosen the circle as they went to quicken the process.

---
Sam follows Nate, digging and scooping away the top layer of earth where Nate has make cracks with the piton.

The world is new to you, and you to it. During PQ/PQ+/KQs/Drops, you roll with advantage on luck-based rolls and receive an extra name during drops.

RE: I was lost, go count the cost - Amun - 12-01-2020

Amun just as quietly restored Wessex's talons, or at least attempted to. Activating his upgrade, he would do his best to return them to their previous shape. Then, collecting the scattered bits and pieces of metal that had been offered and he'd given out, he would use his upgrade once again.

As the metal shifted and morphed in his hands, he glanced over at the Wraith. [say]"If it's just blasting we need, I can take care of that. Save the magic for when we need it."[/say]

By the time he finished speaking, he had (hopefully) finished transforming his latest metal into a rod of sorts, one with a thin and flat blade at the end. [say]"Careful. This might be dangerous."[/say] Setting it into the earth, he began trying to jackhammer it loose with his upgrade.

Amun tries to restore Wessex's talon with his metal manipulation upgrade. Then he takes all the metal he can get his hands on, including the shovels he handed out and the bits offered by Nate and attempts to make a jackhammer, which he uses to try and break the ground, all using his upgrade.

Metal Manipulation Upgrade | When in contact with metal, can conduct electricity through it making it malleable. Surfaces larger than 6ft by 6ft take considerable effort. The ability works best the higher the metal content, becoming unstable at anything below 50%.