Key Quest brother, where art thou

Age: 6 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
TANAU
Up, and up, and up.

However you get there - and you all do get there, eventually, it will be to a dust-brown sky and heat like nothing you have ever felt before. The ground beneath you is hot, the air cloying around you, sticking to your skin. Visibility is poor, but this much is obvious: the world around you consists of a thick black crust, as though layers upon layers of magma has solidified beneath your feet.

Because it has - punctuating the vast haze before you, a harsh glow resonates from veins of lava nearby. Then there’s a tremor, much closer than before, enough to nearly throw you to the floor.

But unlike before, there’s something else in the distance, too. It almost sounds like screaming.

What could possibly live here, to make such agonised cries?

Only one way to find out.

Welcome to the Key Quest.

Your randomly assigned post order is:

1. Kiada 100/100
2. Wessex 245/259
3. Loren 230/250
4. Hotaru 80/80

FOR THIS ROUND ONLY - if you do not wish to be part of the KQ, you may leave and go back the way you came.

You have 48 hours after the person before you to respond, otherwise your turn for the round will be skipped.

So that nothing is missed, please include a quick summary at the bottom of your post.

REMEMBER: KQs are rewarding, but dangerous. They may cause death and/or permanent changes to your characters - join at your own risk!
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
i am afraid that if i open myself
i will not stop pouring
Thanks Loren.” She replies as the healing spreads through her. She feels right as rain now, content enough to keep going — adjusting the pack and the armor that's with her until they walk up the incline. And where cold had once been, she can feel warmth and heat, a strange sort of thickness to the stone at her feet. And then it glows. She nods to Wessex, pulling the cloak tighter around her, hoping if there’s shadows up ahead she might be able to disappear.

Her gaze flickers to Hotaru then, sidling closed to her aunt, when she hears the scream and feels the tremor knock her off balance, almost to the floor. Gritting her teeth she finds Wessex then. “Part of the plan?” A quiet sound leaves Kiada, trudging up the edge of the tunnel, toward the heat and the cry. “What is it?” She asks, quietly, trying not to draw attention but readying her knives just in case.

Kia goes to investigate the scream (bc of course she does)
why do i fear becoming a river?
what mountain gave me such shame?
KIADA
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
the God of Life

Age: 8 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship:
Change author:
vi
”...Protect them.”

The God of Life does not appear - not really - but his voice will echo in Amalia’s head as she arrives on the scorching ground before the rest of the party (Kiada excluded, as she has already run ahead).

”Protect them with your life. All of them.” Friend, enemy, it does not matter. Amalia has chosen her path, and now she must walk it.

Amalia has been granted demi-godhood by Vi, God of Life. She has been stripped of all shifts apart from snow leopard and qilin, and is currently at Level 1.

Her luxere staff has been transformed into the following:

Nova (upgraded) | A beautifully slender sword perfectly crafted for Amalia. The cross-guard is carved from luxere antlers (These antlers glow a soft red despite being detached from the luxere. They provide constant light and protect anyone who holds them during LongNight), imbued with minor healing abilities (upgraded level). The sword will never deal a killing blow, leaving an enemy on 1HP.

She possesses the following demigod abilities:

Armor of Vi | Projects armor onto one ally. Armor will absorb one blow before disappearing, or until it is cast onto a new ally. One use per thread. Cannot be used on Amalia.

Breath of Vi | Summons a gust of celestial wind within a 20 foot range of Amalia. Allies struck by the wind feel healed and renewed, while enemies are thrown back 5 feet. One use per thread.

The post order is now as follows:

1. Kiada 100/100
2. Amalia 42/42
3. Wessex 245/259
4. Loren 230/250
5. Hotaru 80/80

The group have received the following:

Vi’s Blessing | For the first 3 rounds of this KQ (after this one), party members will not sustain any damage.

Table base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Amalia does not know where she is.

But she knows what she must do.

Still star-struck and mesmerized from her encounter with Vi, the Shield finds herself again on solid ground with only his words and instructions to cling to, ricocheting like rockets around her mind.

You will be changed -

- and oh, she can feel it. But she doesn't have time to dwell on it, not now, because the other words are louder, an instruction, an oath, a binding between herself and her god. Protect them with your life-

And she will.

"Kiada!" the Shield cries, recognizing the girl before her and running up to stand at her side. The sword - Nova, she knows its name to be, as surely as she knows how to wield it - is drawn, the shield at ready, as Amalia glances back to those behind her, every face familiar. "I'm here to protect you. And... whatever is out there." Peering forward into the vog she raises Nova to cast more light, trying to shift to the eyes of the owl and leopardess and finding that she can't.

Amalia draws Nova and stands by Kiada, trying to see whatever's ahead

Due to her citizenship, Amalia has advantage on luck-based rolls!
She wants the silence but fears the solitude
she wants to be alone and together with you
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
I've embraced the torch passed to me
owned what I've been called to be
“A seasonal spirit,” she says to the group, answering Kiada’s question. “Kin to Eirachi, but I don’t know which season. She said he suffers.” But how and why are still unknown, and she pauses for a moment to let that information sink it. “I thought we might encounter whatever or whoever is making it suffer, but -” but, the truth is the Wraith has no idea and wasn’t able to get any more information.

She’s about to suggest something when - Amalia appears. Out of fucking thin air, quite like Wessex can, but Wessex can only go where she’s gone before, and - Goddess is she doing her protecting bullshit again. She laughs at what the Shield has to say. Of course. Of fucking course. Here comes the hero, trying to save them all (still nothing said about Rex or Clem, and yes, she’s keeping count). Wessex rolls her eyes.

She’s here now, no point in trying to tell her to go away. Or to ask how she got there - Wessex doesn’t care. “It’s a spirit like Eirachi and I’m pretty sure we’re supposed to save it, not kill it.” A little more sharp than it ought to be, but of course the girl would think that the Ascended is here to kill. Though she would, if it came down to the group at hand or the spirit. Can you even kill a spirit?

“Be careful, there are some creatures here who breathe fire. And stay hydrated. Water and ice will probably be the most helpful.” The last thing she needs is anyone passing out from heat exhaustion. Sparing a glance to Astra and Loren, Wessex bites her lip. The poor luxere - coming down to a place like this. She should have told Loren to leave her at the tunnel entrance. But she knew she needed him - and will likely be keeping him close for magic use.

--------------

Wessex is a bit snarky to Amalia and tells the group what she knows about the spirit and the Climb
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
whatever comes, let it come
what stays, let it stay
Waving away Kiada's thanks (with his good hand) Loren just followed the group. As they emerged from the tunnel and into the light, he scanned the area. The landscape caused him to frown, but he didn't have a chance to pay much attention to it before the screaming drew his attention. Kiada was off before he could say anything.

Then Amalia was there, and he blinked, twice. Sighing, he healed his dislocated shoulder, wincing as it moved back into place. Assuming all was well, he would trail behind the women. Astra bleated, the sound anxious, and he patted her head, before ordering her to stay tucked behind him.

"Water it is. Any idea what could keep a seasonal spirit trapped?" He looked between the Shield of Safrin and the Wraith, explicitly asking the Naturals what they thought they'd be facing.

Loren heals himself and follows the group towards the screaming. Astra stays as hidden as she can behind him.

Base Healing: Can heal 30pts of injuries per post.
Type: Light | Rank: Mastered

Type: Grey
Mageglass Pendant | A large, prismatic stone suspended from a chain of silver. This pendant doubles the power of any magic that the user wields.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
moral of the story is, i will gut you if i need to
i will carve my way out
The darkness around them is choking and oppressive, heat and smog and tension that steals air from lungs faster than any detritus could. As her sharp, narrowed eyes skirt the new horizon, they catch Kiada moving closer, and Hotaru immediately does the same to take position at her niece's side. Moments later the earth itself seems to heave and tremble, shuddering beneath her feet, and though she does not ripple her stance widens and her hand draws her dagger free immediately. Better to be overly paranoid than dead.

Everything after that happens quickly. Amalia suddenly appears, and her brief concern over seeing the woman flat on the ground turns into relief when she immediately jumps to her feet. She is the jealous type, and still dislikes how important Amalia has become to Kiada, but right now all she cares about is the fact that the young woman is now effectively flanked by the two female warriors.

Loren trails behind them, and Hotaru remains silent, absorbing all that is said as her mind clicks and turns. "Other gods seems to be the usual answer in Caido, historically," she snarks slightly. Hotaru is neither on the side of the Ascended or the Old Gods, her sarcasm borne of the constant low-level frustration of being thrown into the affairs of Gods who can't figure their own shit out."My lightning is my most powerful weapon, I can electrify whatever water or metal you all may have." No point in concealing her abilities if putting it out there means potential attack coordinations. "But we should go see what exactly is causing that noise, or we lose our surprise advantage." Idleness only makes them sitting ducks. So saying, she gestures them forward. Danger awaits, but she would rather face it bravely instead of dithering.

Hotaru pulls out her dagger and suggest moving towards the screams, beginning to move forward.
with only my teeth
HOTARU
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.

Age: 6 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
TANAU
Oh, he isn’t trapped. Not in the traditional sense.

But he does suffer.

As the group rushes forward, through the dust, through the heat, the ground around them will seem to split off, to float away in places, rivers of lava separating small islands of solid earth. Like a searing mosaic, these floating isles converge around a being on his knees.

He’s a beautiful, delicate looking thing, shrouded in flames of all colours; lilac and orange, crimson and lime and fuscia. They dance along his skin in sunbursts, crowning a head of hair dark as ebony, a young face contorted in agony.

Something bright flashes within him, something as of yet concealed, and another scream rips from his throat, another quake thunders through the world beneath you. The movement and the tremors cause gouts of lava to burst from the ground, cascading against the group—

But you are untouched. The fire simply repels away for now, causing no damage.

You have found:

Tanau, the Longheat God
HP: ???/???

1. Kiada 100/100
2. Amalia 42/42
3. Wessex 245/259
4. Loren 250/250
5. Hotaru 80/80

Active: Vi’s Blessing | For the next 2 rounds of this KQ, party members will not sustain any damage.

You have 48 hours after the person before you to respond, otherwise your turn for the round will be skipped.

So that nothing is missed, please include a quick summary at the bottom of your post.
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
i am afraid that if i open myself
i will not stop pouring
Wessex explains, and understanding glimmers for a moment — however brief. And then Amalia?!?! is there and Kiada sucks in a breath, instinctively reaching for the Shield as she’s flanked. Her eyes follow the sounds, watch for the gusts of fire and seeing how it melts away. And she spots the brightness within him, shifting a bit to try and get closer.

Her gaze seeks out Amalia and Hotaru, nodding to her aunts comments of electricity before she’s focusing on something else. She doesn’t know what kind of birds are here, but she tries to call out to any avians like her vulture shift, searching to compel a few to try and get closer to the deity, maybe an attempt to spot the light easier, a way to get it out perhaps.

Kiada steps a bit closer, trying to call a few vultures over to try and help her get a better idea where the light is coming from within the deity.

Can call like-minded animals for assistance (1 large, 3 medium, 5 small, from the same animal family)
why do i fear becoming a river?
what mountain gave me such shame?
KIADA
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
the shield of safrin
There's Wessex with the snarky explanation. If Amalia weren't still riding the high of having encountered Vi and become his vassal, she might be frustrated by the woman's tone; as it is she nods her understanding, glad they're for once on the same page. "Then we agree. And if we do have to fight... give me the last blow. Nova will not let him die." She holds the sword up for Wessex to see, as though the connection were obvious.

And then she lowers the sword somewhat and steps in front of Kiada, trying to assume a neutral posture despite the shaking, shattered ground. "Loren, can you fill me up?" she calls even while walking toward the prone young man, confident that he'll know what she means based on their shared experiences. "We've been sent by Vi and the Eraichi! Tell us how we can help you!"

Free hand extended toward the man, she waits for his response. At her side Nova is lowered but ready; if he moves to attack her or her allies she will strike back, but only then.

Ama asks Loren for magic in her shield and attempts to speak to Tanau. She has held her action; if the Tanau attacks her or her allies, she will attempt to strike it as a reaction.

Items/abilities used:

The world is new to you, and you to it. During PQ/PQ+/KQs/Drops, you roll with advantage on luck-based rolls and receive an extra name during drops. (In order to use this, make sure to note the ability at the bottom of each post)

An ornate titanium shield covered in star sigils. When (abandoned) magic is cast at this device, it can store the power and reuse it as controlled by the wielder. (Made by Remi)

Nova (upgraded) | A beautifully slender sword perfectly crafted for Amalia. The cross-guard is carved from luxere antlers (These antlers glow a soft red despite being detached from the luxere. They provide constant light and protect anyone who holds them during LongNight), imbued with minor healing abilities (upgraded level). The sword will never deal a killing blow, leaving an enemy on 1HP.
She wants the silence but fears the solitude
she wants to be alone and together with you
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
I've embraced the torch passed to me
owned what I've been called to be
“We shouldn’t waste time,” Wessex growls as she faces the spirit, wondering how she’s going to be able to contribute. “We won’t be lucky forever.” Gesturing towards the lava and fire that rippled towards them, the Wraith steps forward and tries to identify a course of action.

And while talking may potentially yield results, she’s hardly ever seen it work. That flash though, did it trigger the tremor? Amalia be damned, Wessex isn’t going to waste time down here - she may be fine in the heat, but the others won’t be. Not for long. Stepping closer to Loren, she asks without looking at the man, “Can we see if ice gives it any relief? Like at Whitebrim. If you use it, I can also briefly use it.” Hoping that Loren would assist in the way that she’s become accustomed to with Neron, Wessex waits to see if he’ll not waste a round of immunity because someone really should do some damage take the suggestion well.

If not, well, that at least sets the tone for the amount of teamwork going into this particular endeavor.
----------------

Wessex asks Loren for ice (water manipulation) to give the spirit some nice, cool relief! If Loren denies her and casts water magic at Ama's shield, Wessex will try to duplicate that and send ice towards the spirit.

Uses magic re-resonance.

Magic: Magic Re-Resonance | When abandoned magic is cast within 10ft of Wessex, she can duplicate the ability at its upgraded level once.
Type: Grey | Rank: Upgraded
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
whatever comes, let it come
what stays, let it stay
Loren squinted at the figure wreathed in flames. There was a flash of something followed by another scream, followed by lava. The healer flinched as it sprayed toward them, but it splashed harmlessly away, deflected by something he couldn’t see.

Frowning, he glanced between the women, particularly Wessex and Amalia. ”It’s the same magic.” Almost lazily, he waved a hand at the Shield of Safrin’s, well, shield, and ice poured out of him towards the magical artifact.

Then his frown deepened. ”I’m going to try something.” There was a new power within him, one he hadn’t tapped before. Without thinking too hard about it, he sank into it.

And in his place, an enormous lion appeared, one with fur that glittered an oddly metallic gold. Giving Astra a firm order to stay put, he bounded forward. If he could get close enough to the being, he would swipe at it, trying to claw and dog out the thing, the light, he had briefly glimpsed within.

Loren tries to fill Amalia’s shield with ice magic. Then he shifts into a Nemean Lion and claws at Tanau, trying to get to the weird light.

Water manipulation: Can create and control water. Must be within a 30ft radius.
Type: Light | Rank: Mastered

If it applies to borrowed magic:

Mageglass Pendant | A large, prismatic stone suspended from a chain of silver. This pendant doubles the power of any magic that the user wields.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
moral of the story is, i will gut you if i need to
i will carve my way out
At least everyone here is experienced enough to know not to dawdle. And Hotaru certainly agrees with Wessex's comment, having eyed the lava and seen how it had been repelled without a true explanation. The God itself is clearly suffering, but whatever is causing it pain is blinking in and out of view in a frustrating display of uncertainty. All the same, there's no time to waste. Loren's magic is far more useful in this endeavor, but as his skin melts down into a new form, Hotaru jogs behind him and begins to raise her hands.

"I'll make an opening if I can," she calls after him as he goes running towards the deity. The clouds are already thick and oppressive, and she calls to them with her magic, summoning lightning to strike down towards the deity. Harming it when they're trying to save it isn't what she wants to do, but she needs to give Loren a distraction. So she aims the bolt right at the edge of the god's physical form, just enough to graze if it doesn't move. Hoping it will hurt enough to give Loren a clear shot, and if it misses, to distract it for the same purpose.

Hotaru sends a bolt of lightning down at the god, aiming for the back edge of its physical form to try and allow Loren an opening to grab at the weird light.

Items/Abilities:

During PQ/PQ+/KQs/Drops, you roll with advantage on luck-based rolls and receive an extra name during drops. (In order to use this, make sure to note the ability at the bottom of each post)

Lightning manipulation: Can create and control Lightning. Must be within a 30ft radius.
Type: Dark | Rank: Mastered

Type: Dark
Ornate Leather Bracers (Upgraded) | The wearer can, at will, redirect both magical and physical attacks. For magical attacks, can redirect them within 10ft. Physical attacks must be within melee range to be directed, and can then be redirected within 10ft.
with only my teeth
HOTARU
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.

Change author:
TANAU
It starts off so well. And hey, let nobody say that your methods don’t yield results!

Whatever has seized the being shrouded in colourful flame, it comes in waves. That much is clear. In the interim between one quake and the next, Kiada is successful in summoning three carrion birds - cousins of the vulture, undoubtedly, and they swoop and weave overhead, keen eyes trying to discern what is causing the god’s discomfort. (This is a KQ, so I’m going to be a bitch and deliver this information to Sky directly - it’s up to her to relay it).

Tanau even looks up with eyes of deepest gold, eyes without pupils, hunched over the cause of all his pain within. No sooner does he meet Amalia ’s gaze when water - of all things, water - jets over him. There’s a sound like cracking stone, and the howl that tears out of him is truly something else; his radiant skin becomes the jet black of cooling magma, splitting and hissing out steam where the water hits.

It succeeds in causing him to arch back in time to face the lion suddenly before him, his face contorting in a snarl. ”Vi and the Eirachi send me this? he roars, and a blast of blinding light and heat lances at Loren. It, of course, does precisely nothing. For now.

If anything, the lightning seems to soothe him somewhat - but unfortunately the damage is already done.

Tanau, the Longheat God
HP: ???/???

1. Kiada 100/100
2. Amalia 42/42
3. Wessex 245/259
4. Loren 250/250
5. Hotaru 80/80

Active: Vi’s Blessing | For the next 1 rounds of this KQ, party members will not sustain any damage.