Court of the Fallen
Starting Over - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Starting Over (/showthread.php?tid=470)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Starting Over - Caiside - 02-04-2019

Caiside frowned, and rested his chin in his hand as he considered Jiganos words, the irritating reality that he could be right settling in around him. It did bring to mind the wonder of what greater plan he wasn’t meant to act in. If this was the truth, it felt too much like a manipulation for him to be happy about it, even if he was still powerless in the face of it. ”Gods on my world had difficulty lying. It was easier to speak around the truth when you wantednir hidden, butnit was always there if one was clever enough to decipher it. They tended to delight in playing with mortals as well.” He explained, doing his best to not dwell on his frustrations.

”I would like to see one of these shrines, though I think I’ll pass on visiting any in a temple.” Caiside smiled apologetically. “My places of worship have never been confined to man made places, and I would like to keep some things the same.” Knowing where to start asking questions relieved some of the crushing pressure off his shoulders. Even a little beginning was something that he could grow into something bigger. ”I will be careful when approaching any gods. I promise you, I know how to stay out of trouble.

A wide smile graced Caiside face as he met the blue eye gaze of his first friend. ”You have been more helpful than I would ever have dared to ask. As... upsetting as this turn of events has been, I feel like I have options now.” It was true. Thanks to Jigano, he felt like he was getting his feet under himself properly, and he would be indebted to the man for at least s little while, as far as he was concerned.

RE: Starting Over - Jigano - 02-04-2019

So at least gods were gods, across at least three different worlds. They all seemed to amuse themselves by casting mortals like dice across a playing board too broad for any of the pieces to contemplate, and for ends that often weren't understood until long after the play had been decided - if ever. "The gods of my land were more of a... mixed bag, I suppose you might call them. Some dark, some light, many grey. As you might guess, the ones embodying the precepts of law tended to eschew lies, but also were more... distant, in a way. Those who danced to a more chaotic tune might lie to their followers if it meant furthering their own plans. Luckily, direct contacts and manifestations were exceedingly rare, even among their priesthoods." He gave a rueful little shrug, tracing the lip of his tea mug with an idle finger. "The ones here are more direct, to be sure, though I don't yet know if they are bound to be truthful, or only choose to be when it is convenient." Caiside, though, seemed determined to take that risk, and Jigano offered what direction he could for finding the shrines his new friend sought.

"The Glade, then," Jigano agreed, lips twitching into a wry smile. "I thought the same when I arrived. It shall be at their whim, though I wish you the best of luck in receiving an answer - and one that is to your liking." What the ex-demigod would do if the answer turned out to be "no, we can't send you home" was something the bard would have liked to ask, but the dawning hope in Caiside's golden eyes was too new for him to risk snuffing it out so soon.

The gratitude was received with a glad smile and a nod of acceptance. "Helping you has cost me nothing but an enjoyable pot of tea and a fascinating conversation," he demurred, blue eyes sparkling. "I have learned of a new world, and made, I hope, a new friend, if you don't mind me being so forward. So we have both gained something from this morning." He tilted his head, brow arching a little in curiosity. "I wouldn't mind lingering here a little longer and continuing our conversation, but if you'd like I can also show you to the Glade. It's a bit of a walk from here, but well worth the sight, even in daylight."

RE: Starting Over - Caiside - 02-05-2019

”I think perhaps my view of the gods was a bit... skewed. I met many, but it is easier when you already knew where to look and what to look for.” Slim fingers tapped along Caiside chin, his brows drawing together as he thought back. He absently nodded along as Jigano offered warnings and reminders. These were not his gods, he knew, but Caiside was nothing if not persistent. Even if he was ignored the first dozen times he asked for an audience, he would get an answer.

A bubble of laughter escaped Caiside, and he threw his head back, playing up the action just a little bit. ”I am nothing if not fascinating, and I’m glad you see it.” The cocky words were said in jest, the sunny smile on Caiside face taking away the potentially unbecoming connotations. ”It’s not forward to call a friend a friend.” The confirmation came easily, without hesitation. Jigano was the kind of person he would like to surround himself with. Clever, and easy to get along with.

The offer of a guide to the shrine was appreciated, and tempting. Caiside considered it, until he glanced back towards the door, and the chill waiting beyond. He shivered involuntarily and shook his head. ”I would prefer to stay in the warmth a little longer, and continue our conversation.” Caiside wrapped both hands around his mug again, the ceramic still warmunder his hands hen though it was empty. ”Besides,” he continued, looking up to meet the blue eyed gaze of his friend, ”I only ever see something for the first time once. I’d like my first impression to be the best one.”

RE: Starting Over - Jigano - 02-05-2019

Jigano chuckled as he considered that a demigod probably would have a different opinion of the gods than a mortal, and he nodded agreement at the statement. "I never met any of my childhood gods... precisely," he temporized, lip quirking into a wry smile. "I was born an oracle though, with a connection to the divine." And an infernal curse, though Caiside didn't need to know that. No one did, now that it was broken here on Caido. "Though I did not have a specific god I prayed to for most of my life. More of a connection to an ideal, that drew upon the overlapping domains of several gods, and granted me some small abilities to purify victuals, or call water, or heal very minor wounds." He shrugged, tipping his hand as if to pour water from it, indicating that the abilities were drained away and gone now.

Caiside's good humor and confidence were, admittedly, very refreshing. Jigano grinned at the joke, appreciating his words as well as his bright laugh. It was rare to hear so pure and free a sound within the barrier, he realized with a bit of a shock. From Edy, Isla and... who else? Bastien, perhaps, though Jigano still wasn't sure what to think of the flamboyant priest. All Outlanders, though, it seemed. But Caiside would be more than welcome among their number, and the bard's grin softened at the confirmation of friendship. He nodded gracefully in gratitude at how kindly Caiside accepted his suggestion.

His smile turned to lopsided grin at Caiside's shiver, empathizing entirely with the reaction. Seeing their cups empty he picked up the pot and poured the last of it between them, giving a nod to the serving lad a few tables away to let him know it was finished. When he looked back, Caiside's eyes were on his and Jigano hummed slightly, chin tilting in thought. "Then... I would suggest you go at night, when you can see the white stones glowing against the snow. Perhaps just as the moon is rising or setting on the horizon, so you can catch them in their full glory." It was an incredible sight, he had to admit, and one that still made him catch his breath when he was passing through the Glade on his way to his den.

RE: Starting Over - Caiside - 02-06-2019

”It is a pity we did not exist in the same world. I loved to surround myself with people like you.” Caiside leaned forward, unaware that his words may not be taken as the compliment he meant them as. His congregation had been filled with people like what Higanondescribed though, those who had been touched by the Mother and had that extra something. It had always been one of his greatest joys to be around them, they had that extra slice of understanding of the world that always made them seem quicker. It made sense, in a very sad way, for his ability to find people like that had left him with his own divine connection, but it was also hard to believe in that theory too much when the first person he had properly met was formerly connected to the divine as well.

Caiside lifted his mug up, tipping it towards Jigano is thanks before bringing it to his lips. The tea was truly delicious, he would have to remember this place when he had things or favour enough to afford it again. He had never been the type to owe anyone anything. Even if they were well intentioned.

The bard offered the most appealing scenario for the glade, Causidealready deciding to try and find it later that night. ”That sounds wonderful.” He breathed, eyes sparkling. ”I haven’t even seen it yet, but I can understamd why it is the solace a shrine sits. It sounds like the holy places I am used to.” The idea that worship here wasn’t as alien as he had thought was comforting. ”Could I impose on you to tell me the way though? I would not like to spend another long cold night wandering around.” He laughed again, hiding how serious he was.

RE: Starting Over - Jigano - 02-06-2019

Jigano raised a brow in amusement at the casual arrogance in the statement, but didn't protest it. If Caiside was used to power, perhaps he would gather it to himself here once more... or perhaps he would, indeed, get his wish and return to his world. Most likely, though, the bard thought that his new friend would simply need some time to adjust to a new world where he wasn't... well. What he had been before, anymore than the lorekeeper was. "I would have valued your company in my own adventures," he said smoothly instead. "For no few reasons!" Another voice of reason, at the very least, given how disparate the personalities of his teammates had been from his own.

The tea was particularly excellent today, and the bard savored its flavor as well as its heat. His smile softened at Caiside's delight with his description of the Glade's shrine at night, and he gave a nod at hearing that it was at least a familiar setting to the ex-demigod. "Of course. The path there is well-traveled, so you shouldn't have much difficulty once you set your feet to it. I'll head out that way tonight when I'm done at the library and can show you where the path starts, if you wish? Otherwise you can find it on your own by heading west and staying south of the Spire."

RE: Starting Over - Caiside - 02-08-2019

Caiside all but preened at the perceived praise, lifting his chin and the corners of his mouth up. The smile softened when Jigano offered to point him in the right direction, gratitude washing the pride off of him like a cool rinse. ”You are truly most kind, my friend. That would give me time to explore around the town here some more. And see your library.” He had truly gotten too lucky, running into the bard before anyone else.

The mention of the spire reminded Caiside of his older questions. If Jigano was willing to answer him, then he wanted to know as much as he could. ”You said the spire makes the barrier that surrounds this place, didn’t you? And that there is a creature that guards it?” It was a probe for more information, so he could focus his questions down some what, instead of rattling off everything that came to mind.

RE: Starting Over - Jigano - 02-08-2019

"It's my pleasure! And yes, I had hoped it might be more efficient that way," Jigano agreed with a wry grin. "There is still plenty to see in the town itself, and it sounds like you might want to start looking for a building to shelter in, especially with Long Night approaching. Though I believe the tavern in the Temple basement - the Rathskeller, it's called - will be opening its doors to any and all who desire shelter and company for that week, if you need a more defensive place to hole up while you seek your way home."

He was, admittedly, entirely pleased at the thought of showing Caiside the Atheneum. Not that it was his library, but it was still an impressive edifice, in spite of the damage done to it long ago.

"Well... we don't know for certain," the bard admitted, raising a cautionary finger to correct his earlier words. "But local legend says it appeared at the same time as the barrier, and it's right in the middle of it, so," he shrugged, letting the coincidences speak for themselves. "I haven't seen the guardian myself. I believe it only comes out when someone tries to approach the spire too close. The locals call it a 'demon' because no one has ever seen it eat, and it doesn't appear to sleep. It's also been around as long as memory and legend go back, so at least a couple of centuries, but all the sightings seem to indicate that it looks on the verge of death every time. It doesn't speak, or respond to any language that has been tried; it simply attacks - viciously." He sat back, lips curving into a thoughtful frown. "It's an enigma, certainly. I don't suppose anything in it sounds familiar from your world, perhaps? Or anything similar that you've encountered before? A clue that might help us overcome it?"

RE: Starting Over - Caiside - 02-09-2019

Caiside nodded, accepting the advice about Long Night with a weary smile. He had hoped this could be something he simply dealt with alone, perhaps in the forest, but from the sounds of it it was more dangerous than he'd first imagined. "I'll have to make one of my first visits there then, to ensure I'm not a stranger." There was no way he'd be able to pull together on such short notice, and with no way to defend himself anymore it seemed like the best option. Besides, the company wouldn't be so bad. "Is that where you will be spending the week?" A familiar face would be nice, even if he was at home in talking to strangers.

"It certainly sounds as if they're related. There are no coincidences where Gods are concerned." The true question then was why? He couldn't make any sense of it, why isolate a group of people for so long? Why bring in outsiders? If this were his own world, the intrigue was something that would nearly consume him, but here, as he was, it only served to be a block in returning home.

At the bard's question, Caiside lifted a finger to tap at his lips thinking. "There was a warlord, when I was younger. He appealed to the darkest corners of the forest, and was gifted with the allyship of a dark gods spawn." Caiside shivered at the memory, the creature a terror unlike anything he had seen before. "The beast, a syngond, sounds similar to what you describe. Huge, and violent, summoned only for a singular purpose. If this demon is anything like it, then... I am at a loss for what can defeat it." He sighed, annoyed at not being able to be more helpful.

RE: Starting Over - Jigano - 02-10-2019

Jigano chuckled at the question of his whereabouts, considering how many times he'd heard it. "I'm not sure yet," he answered honestly. "I've had a few offers from friends but... I'm not fond of being cooped up in one place so long when it's against my will." He gave a little shrug, smiling wryly. "I might help out in the infirmary that week, since I don't know how many nurses will be willing to be away from their families during Long Night. My friend Isla will be there - she's a doctor - and it would be a good opportunity for us to continue my training."

"No," Jigano agreed grimly about gods and coincidences. The question was whether things were being kept in or out. He'd need to do his own recconnaissance of the spire soon to try and find more insight on it, but that could wait for another time. Perhaps night would shed a different light on it...

But Caiside began a tale of his own, and Jigano focused on his friend with alert attention, drinking in every detail as he sipped his tea. The spawn of a dark god? That certainly sounded terrifying! And the memory clearly unsettled the former-demigod as well. "A syngond?" Jigano repeated, tasting the name on his tongue. "But... was the warlord not defeated, then? Or does that dreadful beast still roam your world unchecked?" There was a flicker of horror in his voice, and a grimly sober look in his blue eyes as he waited for the answer.

RE: Starting Over - Caiside - 02-11-2019

"I understand your feelings. I would prefer to spend the time alone, out in the woods, but if it is as dangerous as you say, I fear I wouldn't have much chance." A sigh accompanied the words, though the melancholy didn't last long, Caiside sitting up and clapping his hands together. "I should look at it positively. I can use it as a chance to get to know people." It would be a chance to see a smattering of the people around, without too much extra work on his part. Though he was incredibly wary about being in such close quarters with so many strangers. Monsters could lurk inside as well as out, especially if all kinds were cooped together.

Jiganos interest in his story was a welcome pleasure, Caiside perking up at the prospect of getting to tell more of his world, and himself, even if he seemed a little shifty with the topic. "The warlord was defeated, quite spectacularly, thanks to the efforts of a brave traitor in his midst." Stroking his chin, Caiside thought, trying to remember the details. "The deal he struck with the syngond was considered null, but I believe the spawn was still punished by the Mother. It was split into a handful of slivers, lesser versions of itself, and set loose to roam the warlords homeland forever, as a punishment to the people, and to the creature." There were a great many things that had happened after the warlords defeat, and it was difficult to recall them all, especially with how much Caiside had attempted to distance himself from the events in the aftermath. This was one memory that had stuck with him a little better however, simple cruelty of it turning his stomach to think on too much. There had still been innocents in the north, he had known many of them.

A distant, haunted look clouded Caiside's eyes for a moment, before he shook it off, literally, small tingling noises coming from the gold beads woven into his hair. He met the bards blue eyes with a grin, smiling in the face of the horror there. "There was a celebration coming up soon, the ten year anniversary of his defeat."

RE: Starting Over - Jigano - 02-11-2019

Caiside was at least putting a good spin on the need to seek shelter with others, and Jigano nodded enthusiastically at the conclusion he came to. "Many people here are quite helpful, and will be happy to offer assistance if they can," the bard offered. "And the proprietress, Vervain, will not tolerate outright violence, I believe. And she has the skill with a bow to back that up!" His own life had been saved by one of her arrows, and further thanks to her healing skills, so he was a bit biased on her behalf, but still optimistic that Caiside would be alright once there.

The tale he received in turn was fascinating in both its newness and the strangeness of Caiside's world, so alike and yet unlike his own when contrasted with Caido. A silver brow arched at the mention of a traitor, but hearing about the syngond's punishment - and how it affected so many others beyond its master, brought a frown to Jigano's lips. "Is there no way for the people to leave?" he asked curiously, and not without concern for the innocents he imagined being terrorized by the shadows of such a beast. "Or a way for heroes, perhaps, to hunt down those lesser slivers and kill or imprison them?" Surely someone would want to make their reputation as a demon slayer that way?

But Caiside looked tense and distant, a feeling Jigano knew well from his own past. "Never mind," he said gently. "It doesn't matter right now. How far away is the celebration? And what will people do for it? Parades? Feasts?"

RE: Starting Over - Caiside - 02-12-2019

A grateful look flashed over Caiside's face at Jigano's concern, the sentiment obviously appreciated and rare to hear. "I am one of few who is concerned about them. There is not much sympathy for his people from those abroad, thanks to their leader." He sighed, biting his lips and glancing away. It was a sad history, one that touched him personally, and he was more than glad for the exit the bard offered him.

Celebrations were much more his speed. A smile brightened Caiside's face as he jumped earnestly into explanation. "It happens as the last snowfall melts away from the earth, and things bloom again." Holding a finger to his lips, Caiside leaned in like he was telling a secret. "It's not actually the anniversary of his death, but its symbolic. I believe every region celebrates differently as well, though there are always festivals. I've heard they get quite... brutal, in some of the far corners of the world, but those are places I tend to avoid." He shrugged and leaned back, searching Jigano's face for something, approval or interest he wasn't sure.

"I was invited to a most exclusive celebration myself, a guest of honour." The words came after a beat, a cocky smile having wormed its way onto Caiside's face. He didn't elaborate, instead waiting for the dramatics of being asked about his words.

RE: Starting Over - Jigano - 02-12-2019

Jigano would have said more in support of his new friend, but he respected Caiside's pain and did not press for further details on the state of the warlord's endangered people. It wasn't as though they'd had much choice, the bard thought grimly, knowing a similar tale from his own land had been only barely averted. But there was no reason to focus on dark things, not here in the warmly bustling tea shop with the last few sips of a delicious brew cooling in their cups. He finished his own even as his companion spoke of the celebration with far more enthusiasm, and the bard found himself swept along by the red-head's infectious charm. He grinned understanding at the symbology, tipping his head in wry acknowledgment of the usefulness of such an image.

A silver brow rose in curiosity tinged with a more solemn emotion at the mention of the brutality of some of the celebrations, though he kept his expression smooth and didn't allow the frown behind his lips to escape. 'Brutal' could simply mean gladiatorial fights or contests between warriors which, so long as everyone was participating willingly, was their own decision and no business of his. If, on the other hand, it referred to things like human sacrifice or slave fights... well. It wasn't Jigano's world, and he was retired from the heroing business. But it still wouldn't sit well with him.

Luckily, perhaps, there was no chance to dwell on it as Caiside continued, and Jigano grinned at the tried-and-true technique. "Exclusive?" he inquired innocently, though his blue eyes twinkled with mischief. "Do you mean to the palace of a king or emperor?"