Starting Over
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Jigano

This new world took some getting used to. Caiside felt like he had lost everything, like he was a stupid, lost child again. Now was worse than then though, now that he knew what he had lost. His limbs felt heavy without his familiar thrum of magic, though not everything had been lost. He had realised early, after a handful of other fruitless tests, that he could still shift his form, could still feel the freedom of the forest floor pounding beneath hooves. There was no telling how long he had spent travelling through the woods like this, putting off finding any solutions in favour of feeling better.

Running was only temporary, and as he came upon a settlement, built in the bones of an older ruin, he made a decision. He wasn't made to be solitary. Caiside assumed a bipedal form once more, away from prying eyes, and took a moment to pick at his robes and hair before stepping out to approach the built up area, unsure of what he would find.

People milled about, Caisides gaze moving over them like water, not stopping on any one until a flash of silver hair caught his eye. He blinked, a distant memory surfacing and pushed back down again in the space of a breath. Without a thought, Caiside stepped after him, hurrying to keep up with his stride, and reached out, grabbing the mans shoulder and attention.

"Greetings, I..." Caiside stopped, horrified by the hoarseness of his own voice. Gods, it had been too long since he'd spoken. He cleared his throat and tried again, an apologetic smile splitting his face. "I am sorry to bother you, but you... look familiar, and I was hoping you might be able to help me." He wasn't quite sure with what yet, but he knew he needed help of some kind, and it wasn't as if he was going to pass up the opportunity to speak because he didn't know what to say yet.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
It was another cold, crisp day inside the Barrier. Jigano was just glad it wasn't currently snowing. The snow pack was deep enough as it was, and no signs of it melting anytime soon. The people who lived in the Settlement did a fairly good job of keeping the streets clear enough for normal traffic, though, and that made it easier for him to walk on two feet towards the Atheneum, humming softly under his breath. Today, he'd decided, he'd get back to work on deciphering the script he'd been struggling with. He was so close, he just knew it! With the herbal as a key he was on the verge of a breakthou--

He flinched as a hand landed on his shoulder, jerking away instinctively and twisting with a fierce frown for whomever had accosted him-- but the man he saw was anything but hostile. The roughness of his voice and his apologetic smile soothed the bard's ruffled feathers somewhat, his frown clearing as the man spoke. That, and the man's appearance distracted him from his annoyance at being touched without permission. Shorter than the tall lorekeeper, but with similarly sharp features, and hair and eyes so similar to Jigano's parents' colors...

The younger man drew in a breath, then let it out slowly, unconsciously swiping a hand over his tunic to straighten it. He found a smile for the stranger, offering him a slight bow in greeting - and glancing again over the unfamiliar clothes and jewelry. "I don't believe we've met, but that doesn't mean I can't help," he said diplomatically. He had looked familiar? So far his appearance among naturals and outlanders alike had been rather striking - which suited the bard most of the time. Except when it didn't, of course... but perhaps this stranger was from his world? It would only be fair, after so many from Northaven had each other to rely on. "I'm Jigano, bard and lorekeeper. If you're seeking knowledge or answers of some kind, I may be able to help. Ah... and you are?"
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Caiside mirrored the offered bow, his smile growing wider, and more genuine. He was pleased to have found someone friendly, the memory that whispered to him gone completely now in the face of this new person. The look on his face became downright gleeful when Jigano introduced himself; storytellers of any kind were always useful. It sounded especially useful right now, when Caiside had so many gaps in his knowledge that needed to be filled.  

"My apologies, I have been alone some time, and have apparently forgotten my manners." Caiside drew himself up, an arm over his midriff as though he were about to bow again. "I am Caiside, son of..." He paused, brows furrowing. His name had no worth here, except to him alone. "Just Caiside. I arrived here a few weeks ago, and, well... I suppose I am seeking a purpose of some kind, until I can return home." It was easy to see how having nothing weighed on him, his shoulders slumping somewhat after his introduction.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Though his initial touch had lacked courtesy, the stranger seemed to have found his manners, and Jigano relaxed a little more with a smile for the bow he received in return. His profession seemed to make the other man happy - something the bard had to hide a chuckle at. Given the man's Outland-ish appearance he'd suspected someone capable of dispensing information would be welcome news. As Samuel had done for him on his arrival, now he could pay forward to another stranger in a strange land. The thought warmed him a little, in spite of the chill in the air.

"Well Caiside-son-of-just-Caiside," the bard grinned, "I hope you haven't been wandering the woods lost and alone all this time!" Not that Jigano hadn't done just that his first week, as well, exploring as much of the world within the barrier as he could easily reach in his other form. "But... here, let's get out of the cold for awhile. I was on my way to the library, but it's nothing that can't wait an hour." So saying the white-haired man began to walk down the street again, tucking his grey-furred cloak closer around his slender frame. "There's a tea house just down the block here that's tolerable." He glanced over at his companion, smile wry. "They don't have coins here, or money. It's too small, and life is, frankly, too hard for such niceties. Mostly we get by on the barter system. I struggled a bit too, at first." The bard grinned wryly. "If you can make or produce something physical it'll get you farther than if you are a master of, ah, more abstract services." Now that he worked at the Rathskeller he had an easier time of it, at least.
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:
"I would not have considered myself lost. But I was alone, and I am glad to not be anymore." Caiside glanced around, taking in the people milling about. He had become unused to solitude, and it reinvigorated him to be in something close to a town again. Especially one that seemed to be so well equipped, despite it's shabby appearance. A library sounded delightful, even more so if he could get his hands on a journal. He would have to remember to ask the silver haired man about it later on.

Tea sounded even better than the library, and Caiside easily fell into step beside Jigano, more than used to keeping up with people taller than him. His gaze was focused on the other man, only occasional glances keeping him from crashing into anyone else. "Stories are just as important as any other craft." He asserted, matter-of-factly. "I have never had the skill for them, but I've always admired those who did." He hummed, and twisted a ring on his finger before speaking again. ""I am trained as a smith. Or was. I haven't done it in some time, but the skill would come back to me quickly."

The idea of working in a forge again really did make this feel like starting over. This was something he could be excited about though, that eh could work towards. Already there were plans forming in the back of his mind, how to go about making a forge and getting the supplies he needed. So lost in thought was he that he missed the fact that they had arrived until they were inside, warmth and the chatter of voices bringing his focus back. "This is cozy." He offered distractedly, looking around.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano grinned a little at hearing that his companion didn't consider himself 'lost.' Clearly the man hadn't visiting the labyrinth yet... a sobering thought that had the bard drawing a slow breath, though he kept his smile on his face. "There aren't so many souls inside the Barrier, but because of that people tend to stick together. This world is... an odd mix of sheltered and a cage." He tilted his head thoughtfully. "As near as we can tell, nothing gets out - or in. But not everything on the inside is particularly friendly. And not all of the monsters walk on four feet."

But that was a warning better suited for a warm fire and a pot of tea, and Jigano was not immune to Caiside's flattery. He grinned down at the older man, amusement sparkling in his blue eyes. "I can tell we're going to get along well, friend Caiside," he chuckled. "And on that note, at some point I'll probably be asking for some of your stories in exchange. But let's see if we can get you a little more settled, first." The man had mentioned 'returning home' but... That was a discussion that could wait awhile. "We have a few smithies in town, or at least... one worthy of the name, one being built, and a few others that do simple work. I've dealt with a mastersmith who is... growing older. Still incredibly skilled, but his joints trouble him, especially in the cold. Perhaps I could introduce you and see if you could work with him for a little while, until you can get your own shop up and running?" The fit young man could help haul wood and perhaps take the tasks that the old man found difficult, and the mastersmith, well... Jigano didn't know Caiside's skill, but he suspected the old smith could teach the younger one a trick or two, especially if he was out of practice.

The tea shop was a snug little building, better repaired than most and never lacking in customers. Jigano was enough of a regular that he earned a smile from the proprietress as he led the way to a little table near the corner. The ones by the fire were all taken, but the one he chose was still comfortable - and nearer the kitchen. "I'm quite fond of it," Jigano agreed, raising a finger to the gangly young man who started to wander over. The teenager nodded and trotted back to the woman - his mother, from their similarities - and the bard turned back to his friend with a smile. "So... why don't you tell me what you already know of this world and then you can ask any questions that come to mind. I'll do my best to answer them, or I can perhaps give you the names of others who might know what I don't?"
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:
Jigano seemed more than familiar enough with the place to make Caiside feel comfortable in following his lead. He sat down across from his new friend, leaning forward to rest his chin on the back of his hand. There were so many questions swirling around his head now that he had someone who might answer them. He supposed it would be easier to start by answering the one that had been asked of him, and took a deep breath,starting slowly.”Well, I... know very little. There are many things I could guess at, this place is similar enough to my home, but the only things I know for sure are the those I saw while wandering.” Caiside pursed his lips and thought back on the time he had spent alone, the things he had seen on those long nights.

It had been so much quieter than what he was used to. Not only because he was alone, for the first time in years, but because the trees didn’t speak to him here. At least not without his magic. The loss still stung him to think about directly, so instead he spoke again, though not before the emotion had had the chance to flash across his face.“It’s... little things that are strange. I have seen soft lights moving in the woods at night, and the outer edges of the trees make me ache, for no reason I can tell. And you are not surprised that I am not from here, so I can’t be the first, can I?” It was the first question of many, but Caiside caged the rest behind his teeth and looked up into Jigano’s face, giving him a chance to respond.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Caiside's reactions were similar enough to his own, not so many weeks ago, that Jigano had to smile. He nodded agreement that things were similar but different, and his smile widened to a grin at finding that the other man had also wandered awhile before approaching people. He would have spoken up, but the fleeting pain in his companion's expression stopped him and his smile faded as he tilted his head to listen further.

"The moving lights are probably the luxere," he said slowly, trying to take things one at a time, though the 'edges of trees' had confused him. "They are... a type of deer found only in the winter here, with glowing antlers. They are gentle creatures, though, and local tradition suggests coaxing them with song and treats so they'll look on you favorably and may lend their light to protect you during the week of darkness. It's called Long Night though... much more than that I'm afraid I can only report second-hand." He gave a wry shrug, glancing over to see the teenager making his way to them with a pot of tea and two cups on a little tray.

"I'm an Outlander myself, you see. I arrived, oh, perhaps two months ago? Time is a little strange here, but..." he nodded to the boy as the tea was delivered, then reached out to pour for both of them. "As I understand it, from what my local friends have shared, Outlanders used to be quite rare, but recently we've been dropping in with, well, I suppose alarming frequency." He chuckled, but his sharp blue gaze rose again to catch Caiside's gold. "But what did you mean about the edges of the trees? It's not a term I've heard before..."
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:
Deer with glowing antlers? That was interesting, a good omen for him if nothing else. Caiside nodded, listening with rapt interest as the silver haired man across from him continued. His brows knitted together at the mention of a week of darkness, though the deer... the luxere, he would have to put in an effort to learn the names of things here. The luxere seemed like an asset, since he wouldn't be able to escape the long dark. They would have to be one of the things he asked more about.

"I suppose I could have assumed you were not from here. You have a uniqueness in the way you carry yourself." The compliment was genuine and accompanied by a smile, though there was some disappointment that came with the knowledge that he was not special in how he arrived. "I can't help but wonder what must have caused such an event though. If this were my own world, I would say the meddling of gods, but I have no such crutch to lean on now." It was frustrating to be without answers.

Slim fingers wrapped around the mug of tea that was poured for him, the warmth of it a welcome balm on Caisides heart. Without waiting, he lifted the mug to his lips and took a sip, savouring the new flavours and the heat. He blinked over at Jigano, then lowered his mug slowly, pondering how to explain himself more clearly. "The... edges. Where they're thinner, and stop being forest." With one hand, he vaguely gestured in the direction he was talking about, at the far side of the woods. "There was an energy there I did not approach, given the way it made me feel from a distance."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano nodded acknowledgment of the compliment, a smile on his lips to match the one Caiside wore. "My world was both brighter and more dangerous than this one... and there was no barrier. Those of us who come from other worlds, well, we're not so difficult to spot. For many of us it's something as simple as growing up free to chose where we want to go, if only we have the time and money to go there." He shrugged gracefully, smile turning crooked. "The 'what' is an excellent question. The 'who,' though... we have our own share of meddling gods, here. I've met one myself..." His expression darkened for a moment before he smoothed it away with a sip of tea. "And know of at least three others. And then there are the missing gods..." He raised his eyes to watch Caiside over the rim of his cup, enjoying the chance to tell the local tales anew.

At the explanation the bard blinked and then made a soft 'tch' sound, briefly annoyed at himself. "Of course, I had thought... well, never mind. That would be the barrier that keeps us all inside. A bubble of force that extends in a sphere from the black tower called The Spire. No one knows how it got there or why - though the gods were almost certainly involved. If you get too close it will make you sick. If you persist in your approach or stay too long in the tainted area... it will kill you." The bard shook his head, frowning. "It's been there for a couple hundred years, at least. Nothing gets in or out, that we've been able to determine... except the portals that drop Outlanders in, and those have all been one-way."
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:
Caiside leaned forward at the mention of gods, obviously interested in the topic, and the first hand experience the other man had. He also saw the expression that flashed over his new friends face though, and sat back again, deciding to save the questions for a different time. He had enough else to ask after without upsetting the person going out of their way to help him.

”I don’t think I came across any spire while I was exploring. It sounds like the kind of place one wouldn’t forget.” Nails tapped along the teamug, Caiside mulling over what was learning. ”Barriers are usually put up with reason though. I wonder if it’s meant to keep people in, or keep something else out.” Theories raced through his mind, thoughts about the portals, the barrier, the spire, all frantically trying to connect into one cohesive thing.

The words one-way stopped all the buzzing in his mind, his face falling as he looked up, searching the bards face for any hint of a lie. ”I have things to go back to though. What about... what about my life?” He had left much behind, and he hadn’t even chosen to come here. It didn’t feel fair. Sighing, he looked down into his tea, then back up at his companion. ”There has to be someone looking into this? You said there were many people coming now, surely some of them also want to go home? Don’t you?” Caiside didn’t think about how rude the question was until after it was out of his mouth, his face tightening even more because of it.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"You won't, I assure you," Jigano said, amused though there wasn't much humor in it as he remembered the first time he'd gone near the Spire... helping a friend dig the belongings of a slain companion from the snow. "Nor should you try and get too close. There's a creature that attacks any who intrude on its... lair, for lack of a better word. It's a killer but..." he hesitated, lips tugging into a slight frown as he remembered the news from the meeting he'd snuck into. "It is... very strange. Not a normal beast but perhaps some sort of construct. Local legend has it that it neither eats nor sleeps, only kills and drives off any who approach the Spire."

He glanced up at Caiside, smile returning, albeit a sharp one. "Excellent questions, and ones I've asked as well, though no one yet has answers. Though..." he tilted his head to the side, watching the newcomer thoughtfully. "Consider that it might not be keeping someone in, but something." The beast that had risen in the night to swallow a wolf whole, with room for more, still haunted the bard, but his seeking through the Atheneum had found nothing quite like it mentioned so far.

Caiside's distress was not what Jigano had intended, and he winced at how thoughtless he had been in his wording. "I don't know how many, if any, of us Outlanders chose to come here," he said gently. "Many of us simply fell through portals that appeared at our feet or in front of us. One minute we were walking, the next-- Here." He spread his hands to encompass the teahouse and so much more beyond it before taking another sip and savoring the fruity herbal flavors. "And... perhaps there is someone trying to find a way back, but if so I do not know who they are. Many of those brought here have found it to be better than what they left behind... for whatever reason."

He watched the other man, blue eyes softening with compassion. "Most have only been here since autumn - Leafchange, they call it - and have put their efforts into surviving the winter and trying to escape the barrier that walls us in. Whether that will ultimately prove good or bad, only time will tell. But, for now, it provides a welcome focus to my studies. My world... has no more need of me. If given the chance to return... no. I do not think I would, now." He sighed, not knowing how to comfort his companion's distress. "I am sorry, for what it's worth. After this, perhaps I can show you the great library? Perhaps the answer you seek will be there." So many answers Jigano sought had proven elusive, but that didn't mean they weren't there hidden behind a dusty shelf or trapped beneath fallen rubble.
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:
Caiside lifted a hand to cover his mouth as Jigano tried to comfort him. It was wonderful that other people had found solace here, but he wasn’t other people. ”My world was not perfect,” the words came out slightly muffled, and thick with emotion, but Caisides voice didn’t waver, ”and maybe... it is not a place I would go back to, if I were whole, but I... I lost so much.” There was no way he could begin to explain how incomplete he felt here, not without the other man stepping into his shoes.

Under the table, Caisides leg bounced quickly, his emotions manifesting in an anxious energy. He couldn’t let himself crack, not like this. It wasn’t who he was, and it wasn’t fair to subject the other man to his turmoil, when he had surely already gone through his own. Sighing, Caiside straightened up and dropped his hand to grab at his mug again, bringing it to his lips. He didn’t even taste the tea this time, the action more of a stall until he could get his mind in check again. With some obvious struggle, his face cleared, and he stopped his nervous fidgeting, looking up to meet the blue eyed gaze of his companion again.

“You don’t need to apologize to me. This is not your doing, and your kindness is already more than I could ask of anyone. The kind words fell easily from his lips. It was so much easier to focus on others than on himself, especially right now. There was still a tremble in his lips that threatened to take over if he stopped speaking though, so he continued, slowly, each word carefully chosen. ”I suppose, if I am going to be here for... for some time, I could... assist in your efforts. Perhaps more answers lie beyond this barrier.” Perhaps there was a way home through the barrier.

With some effort, he forced a smile back on his face, and tried to bring a positive chirp back to his voice. ”I wanted to see the library anyway. It’s a treat I didn’t expect in a place like this.”
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano, too, had lost much of his power in coming through the portal. All of his magic, both divinely granted and painfully learned over years and sacrifice and study... gone. It had taken him time to work without it, and he still missed it terribly but, so far, he had found no way to regain it. And since he could survive without it, and there had been so much else to do... he had tried, largely, not to think about it too much. Caiside was only just now discovering the limitations Caido placed on its transplants, and the bard only nodded, empathy clear in his blue eyes.

He waited for his companion to regather himself, giving him the time and space to do so while Jigano sipped his tea and watched the other customers of the shop, nodding to those he recognized and studying those he didn't. When Caiside spoke again the lorekeeper's attention returned swiftly, and he nodded graceful acknowledgment of the gratitude. "I am a lorekeeper and a bard," he said with a small smile. "Gaining and sharing knowledge is at the core of who I am. I am glad I can be of help to another, especially when I know how difficult the arrival here is."

The offer of assistance earned an arch of a pale brow, and a much wider and warmer smile. Jigano tilted his head, eyes sparkling with a bit of mischief in spite of the seriousness of their conversation. "Your assistance would be both appreciated and welcome, friend Caiside. And I will make sure to keep an eye out for books or information that may help you, as well. In point of fact... if you don't mind me doing a bit of recruiting, I've been working on drawing together people if disparate specialties and interests to form a Loreseeker's Guild. All that is truly required is a love of learning and a willingness to help others with their questions in your specialty - and set aside any tomes you find in your own searches that you think would benefit your fellow guildmembers. If you'd be interested I would introduce you to the others? So far we're small but," he shrugged ruefully. "Hopefully we will grow. And of course I and they would continue to answer any questions about this world you have, and help you to get more comfortably settled while you pursue you own research into returning home."