Court of the Fallen
[God Quest] Nothing Fades like the Light - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [God Quest] Nothing Fades like the Light (/showthread.php?tid=5729)

Pages: 1 2

Nothing Fades like the Light - Nate - 06-13-2021

It burns to have to come out to the Grounds for this, when he should be able to simply stay home, make a quick trip out of it. It's nearly dawn by the time Nate arrives at the shrine, his feet carrying him far past it at first, as if they remember the last time he'd been here, and want to forget.

The vial of blood and the diamond are clutched tightly in his hands, Nate's systems telling him he's clenching his first tightly enough for the edges of the diamond to cut into him, but he doesn't seem to notice. "[say]Hey.[/say]" He starts, surprised by how hoarse and small his voice sounds. He clears it and tries again, holding himself taller this time.

"[say]I brought the things for my eye.[/say]" Better, though he's confused as ever on how to actually address the Voice, what niceties he needs to speak.

Nate is turning in for his fancy eye again!

are you scared, because i am too  Retrieving a diamond w Kiada
tongues like sandpaper Getting Sear Cat Blood
struck down before our prime Leaving it out under a clear full moon

He will receive:

Optical Upgrade (Precognition) | A prosthetic eye infused with the blood of a sear cat. The user may ‘see’ a potential upcoming event once per season. Contact the admin team for your seasonal vision!

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - the VOICE - 06-15-2021

Last time there had been lightning and dramatics. Last time she had been there to make an impression. This time, though? The objects gently ease themselves out of Nate's fingers as if of their own accord, swirling and circling somewhere above the demigod.

[say]"I never doubted that you would, bright one."[/say] The hollow of the tree pulses with electric blue light, and the Voice materialises before it. Static and ethereal, she shouldn't feel as solid as she does, but that will nonetheless be the case as she steps forward to cup his cheeks in her palms.

[say]"So troubled, Nate,"[/say] she murmurs. [say]"Always such weight upon your shoulders. Sit, tell me, while we restore your sight to what it ought to be,"[/say] she suggests.

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - Nate - 06-16-2021

Seeing the Voice appear starts a full body tremble in the Demi-god, some part of him releasing. Even if he has nothing else, he has his goddess. A watery grin spreads over his features, the small amount of praise gutting him in his current state.

Nate collapses to the ground like all he’s been waiting for is permission, his head in his hands and his knees drawing up. Some petty part of him wants to shout, shouldn't you know already?, but he breathes through the thought, his arms moving to circle his knees so he can look up at the Voice instead.

“[say]I just... I can’t keep one fucking thing from going wrong, can I? Can’t have one thing that’s just good.[/say]” His tongue dips out of mouth to wet his lips, Nate not bothering to pretend to breathe. “[say]I’m just... fuck, I’m sorry. I’m just tired. The... my guild, guilds![/say]” A hiccup of hysterical laughter leaves him, Nate holding up two fingers just to really drive the fact home. “[say]They were uh, burned down. Targeted specifically.[/say]”

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - the VOICE - 06-17-2021

As he slumps to the ground, as he speaks, the objects above continue their swirling trajectories, as if whatever magic the Voice works apparently doesn't need her complete focus in order to persist. So she moves to sit opposite Nate, as if they are two old friends catching up, and she says nothing until he is finished. It is by this time, of course, that the ingredients have finished their combinations, and a perfectly formed eye floats down between them. [say]"Look at me,"[/say] the Voice says.

[say]"Not even spaces within the Hollowed Grounds are free from attack these days. The real question, I suppose, is what would you like to do about it?"[/say] Once Nate is focused on her, it's with a blinding crackle of electricity that strikes through the new eye and into the scarring of the old that the impossible takes place. And when the light fades, when he's able to focus again, Nate will be whole once again.

Nate has received the following upgrade:

Optical Upgrade (Precognition) | A prosthetic eye infused with the blood of a sear cat. The user may ‘see’ a potential upcoming event once per season. Contact the admin team for your seasonal vision!

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - Nate - 06-17-2021

’Look at me.’ The Voice says, Nate powerless to deny his deity, even if hot shame tries to colour his face, even if his one good eye shines with a glaze of unshed fluid tears that he tries furiously to blink away.

A stone drops in his guts at the fact that nowhere is really safe anymore, a realization he’d come to himself, though it falls much more heavily from a goddess. “[say]I-[/say]” Nate tries to begin, the swirling in his throat cut off by blinding lightning, by the sudden restoration of his sight. It seems like it should hurt.

As the light fades, a slow smile spreads over Nate’s features, both eyes now wild and shining. “[say]I wanna kill whoever did it.[/say]” He answers steadily, watching the Voice’s face like he’d be able to notice a reaction. “[say]I want them to hurt, and then... I want some peace. Just for a little bit.[/say]”

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - the VOICE - 06-19-2021

She seems to stare right through him, once he is whole and complete again, as if she can see the things that trouble him from within, the way they warp and twist and gnaw at him. And when he speaks again, a slow, soft smile curls at her lips. [say]"And who did it, bright one?"[/say] she asks.

As if she does not already know. But there is something in Nate's madness to suggest that he is neither aware nor suspect of his fellow Ascended in this mess, of Maea's targeting the Wren Society. And if he believes it to be someone else - someone who dances on the side of the Old Gods - then that is all for the best. [say]"How would you have them hurt? You are more than mere Ascended now. The world lays bare before you. What would you do?"[/say]

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - Nate - 06-20-2021

Brows lifting as Nate looks at the Voice, a whole set of blue eyes searching the goddess for something. His lips purse then part in a quick motion, his voice steady when he answers, despite the emotional weigh of the answer. “[say]Hotaru, and Deimos.[/say]” Nothing else made sense, even if there was no evidence. Coincidence doesn’t stretch that far.

The next question has him hardening again, his tongue caught between his teeth as he thinks, as he tries to act like he’s hasn’t already thought about this. “[say]I’d have them isolated, then burned alive.[/say]” He answers, too quickly. His eyes flutter, and he shakes his head. “[say]I can’t do anything like that though. The people who’d come after me for it.[/say]” Nate grimaces, not wanting to think too hard on the repercussions.

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - the VOICE - 06-20-2021

[say]"Hotaru and Deimos."[/say] Is it a repetition? A question? A confirmation? She leaves that for Nate to decide, the Voice reaching out once more to smooth electric hands across his face, cupping his chin.

There is no judgement and no expectation in her, even as he explains what he would like to do. Indeed, she even manages a small smile, a thumb brushing across his cheek. [say]"Of course,"[/say] she says softly, [say]"that would be foolish. If you were seen. Or caught."[/say]

Which... what if he wasn't? What if he wasn't seen or caught? [say]"People will come after you regardless these days, it seems. My bright one, war is on the horizon. You know it to be true as well as I do. Would you wait until it burns another clinic down...?"[/say]

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - Nate - 06-21-2021

The Voice’s soft repetition wraps around him like a warm blanket, Nate’s ragged mind latching onto it as confirmation, especially paired with the warm electric buzz of her hands on his face. “[say]If only there was a way to not be seen. Or caught.[/say]” His eyes close, a frown crossing his lips.

“[say]No.[/say]” The word is sullen, transporting Nate to a conversation in a bug ridden forest with a grandparent he can hardly understand through the accent. You strike first. You be a man, Nattano. “[say]No I wouldn’t. But I don’t... do you have something in mind?[/say]” It certainly seemed to be what she was getting at, Nate clever enough to pick up the leading crumbs in her words.

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - the VOICE - 06-22-2021

[say]"If only,"[/say] she echoes through a whisper, leaning in to press a kiss against his forehead. The touch alone will be enough to replenish him, filling him with energy and power and a sense of completeness that so often seems lacking in her bright ones. And as he asks all the right questions, a dazzling smile flashes across her face. She smooths a hand through his dark hair, withdrawing to sit with him again.

[say]"You are all so scattered at times, I believe you may forget how clever you all are,"[/say] she murmurs. [say]"You have a brother in Halo capable of invisibility. Another, here, with the same ability. Granted, I do not believe Samuel would be quite so willing to do what you ask. Neron, though? He might help."[/say]

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - Nate - 06-22-2021

Nate understands why the other refer to the Voice as Mother, even if he still can’t manage it in anything other than a joke. The touch of her lips on his head is safety, and comfort, something he only approaches with Sunjata, and yet different still. It soothes the furrow between his brow, bright eyes clear when the Vice pulls away again.

“[say]Sam won’t help me with this.[/say]” Nate almost laughs, the idea outlandish. “[say]I’ll have to talk to Neron then, and see what we can make happen.[/say]” Its the point of a family, is it not? To lean against each other? To work as a unit? And they haven’t been doing much in the way of that.

Wessex’s voice echoes in his head suddenly, Nate’s tongue swiping across his bottom lip. “[say]Is there anything we should be focused on? I think we’ve... laid the groundwork for a portal in Kings End, but... is there anything else? Allies, or locations we should seek out?[/say]”

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - the VOICE - 06-22-2021

[say]"That sounds like a very wise idea indeed,"[/say] the Voice murmurs, as if Nate has been the one to come up with it entirely independent of her guidance. With a satisfied nod, she settles back, prepared to let him go only for Nate to speak once more. And in truth it is a welcome question, the goddess seeming brighter and more animated as she sits up straighter.

[say]"A portal in King's End will be a welcome addition,"[/say] she agrees. [say]"Movement for your brothers and sisters is key, especially if we all should need to return with haste. But I believe your focus ought to be here, bright one."[/say] Here being the Hollowed Grounds. [say]"More than one place has been licked by fire, as you well know. And unlike your conundrum, this mystery is not yet solved. And I fear that Torchline is becoming less and less welcoming for you."[/say]

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - Nate - 06-22-2021

“[say]What do we need for the portal?[/say]” Its amazing what a moment to breathe can do for focus. Now that he has a second where he’s not watching over his shoulder, not keeping two other heads in his vision, Nate is all focus. All excitement even.

It does sober just a touch as the Voice redirects him, Nate’s lips pursing into a tight line. His eyes slip away from his goddess, the small action betraying shame, discomfort. “[say]You’re right. We need to...[/say] He stops, shakes his head. “[say]I’ll help find whoever was responsible for the clinic here.[/say]” Dry grass rasps as Nate clenched and releases his hand. “[say]Torchline is my home though. I can’t just... leave.[/say]”

RE: Nothing Fades like the Light - the VOICE - 06-23-2021

As if fed by Nate's inner fire, the Voice seems to light up as well, and the smile she gives him is positively radiant. [say]"You always know how to ask the right questions, do you know that?"[/say] she almost purrs, delivering the instructions without a moment of hesitation. And as for Torchline? Her smile fades somewhat, and she nods. [say]"Of course you can't,"[/say] she agrees, though there is a note of curiosity in her voice. [say]"It was not always your home though, was it? You have had others."[/say]

More to the point, though. [say]"Perhaps just keep it inmind, bright one. Should Torchline become a place that is not good for you, there is always sanctuary to be found within the Hollowed Grounds. You will be welcomed and made safe there."[/say]

The Voice has given Nate the quest to bring the portal together for King's End!

Requirements:

- Ascended to explore every board within the King's End area
- A thread collecting obsidian from the Spire
- A thread collecting wood from the Oerwoud
- A PQ to set up the portal with at least 3 Ascended present, bringing the wood and the obsidian as building materials