Court of the Fallen
[SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Hollowed Grounds (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Inner Quarter (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=234)
+---- Forum: Atheneum (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Thread: [SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough (/showthread.php?tid=9294)

Pages: 1 2 3

[SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Maea - 03-16-2024

Rain hammered against the tiny windows near the ceiling. It had been pouring for the better part of the day and a chill damp radiated through the new Lorekeeper's office despite the crackling fire within the common room hearth and the brazier within the study itself, where embers glowed red and lit up the metal container from within.

Maea noticed none of this. At some point she had drawn a shawl about her shoulders and brought herself a cup of tea. The brew had long since gone cold however, and sat half-empty amidst a sea of letters, reports and scribbled notes that crowded her desk. Deeply engrossed in her work to compile everything she had learned about the Starfall incident and the Void outbreak on Caido, the Loreseeker barely registered how the daylight faded, or when the thunder stopped grumbling over the city beyond. Every now and then she looked up from her work to reference a letter from the pile that Kiada had sent over, or to cross reference a date with the long list of notes she had compiled of her own conversations with various individuals.

Much remained infuriatingly unclear. There were gaps wide as barn doors in the collective knowledge about this whole matter, a realization that only became more obvious the further she progressed in her writing.

Finally, when she couldn't wrest anything else from the correspondence or her own memory, she signed off the report and set it aside with a weary sigh. Leaning back in her seat, Maea rubbed her stiff neck and closed her eyes for a moment. Something rustled in a corner; a book shifted on its shelf on the wall, and thudded loudly to the floor. She didn't look up. The chill in the room had as much to do with spirits of the dead as with the weather, and there was nothing she could do to help them. A subject for an entirely different report; one that would have to wait until some later date.

After a moment of rest, she reached for the quill again and pulled over a scrap of parchment. On it, she jutted down a list of what she still had left to do;
  • Write to Lena in Stormbreak, about void sightings
  • Outline for Void experiments, decide on location
  • Diplomatic talks? Ball? Talk to Danta

The pen tapped against the page, leaving blots of ink behind while she considered. Maea was sure there was more. Not feeding the dread creatures in the Maverick's office - she needed no reminder of that duty. But though she wrecked her brain, she couldn't think of what it was. It was late, and she was tired - perhaps it would come to her in the morning.

Slowly, stiff in the fingers from the unpleasant chill, she began to clean up the chaos on the desk. Stacks of letter and notes grew into piles, returned to envelopes, disappeared into the trash bin or was eaten up by flames in the cases where she threw them onto the brazier.

And all the while, silence reigned over the old guildhall. Until an indistinct noise in the hallway beyond her office caused her hands to grow still, and Maea listening intently for a hint as to what it was. A visitor at this hour? Something else entirely? It better not be more ghosts.

RE: it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Thalassa - 03-26-2024

The falling rain masked the light pad of footsteps through the hallway. It also covered whatever other strange sounds may be lurking about the musty building as Thal floated through like a wandering wraith. Her black cloak flowed behind her in the chill of the drafts, making her movements appear more purposeful than they had any right to be. Along with the aimless trail of her thoughts, she noticed little of the blank walls or daunting bookshelves. The melancholy drone of raindrops and soul sucking nip of Leafchange cold caused everyone to recede to their hovels and homes, filled with warming mechanisms and friendly company to block out the dreary weather. She had no such options, so she found herself lost in the walkways of the Atheneum - not that she would ever admit to such a thing.

Night had come to bring darkness and leech further heat from her body, providing sentient shadows around every corner. A shiver caused Thal to pull her cloak tighter around her shoulders. Something made her glance behind, but the pitch black only served to ice her soul. She had been cursed by a spirit once and, although she would never call herself superstitious, there were reasons that people closed their eyes at night.

Taking a shuddering breath, her pace quickened away from the ominous void. Lucky for her, a light finally shone from a doorway ahead, beckoning to her. Thal didn't hesitate to accept the summons as she stepped into the light of the hearth fire.

Calming the racing beat of her heart, Thal took a moment to let her eyes adjust before taking in the status of the room. The large common room was inviting with the soft glow of the hearth blanketing a comfortable arrangement of plush seating. Her shoulders released their tension and the dark thoughts were banished to the threshold behind her. A small study adjoining the room attracted her attention. To her pleasant surprise, Maea was within.

A small smile graced her lips as she leaned against the doorway and greeted the other Ancient. [say]"I hope you are finding ways to keep warm today."[/say] Thal noticed the small cup of stale tea along with the strewn papers and ink bottles that alluded to the oppressive work that had taken place throughout the day. Concerned, Thal asked, [say]"Have you even left this room?"[/say] What could possibly be so important that she worked nonstop to complete?

RE: it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Maea - 03-26-2024

Unless Thalassa had learned the skill of dematerializing, she was not a ghost. Smiling faintly at the figure that darkened her doorstep, Maea shrugged lightly - only to find her shoulders stiff and unwilling to move much at all.

[say]"Ah... no, not really. I had a lot to do,"[/say] she murmured. Blinking owlishly into the growing shadows of her office, she plucked a spark from the brazier and fed it into a single butterfly of flame. Winging its way from candle to candle, it fizzled out in a puff of smoke only when the room blazed with light.

[say]"Come in, if you will. I'm all but done for the day."[/say] She waved towards a chair opposite the desk. [say]"Unless you'd like some tea? There should be something edible left in the basket. By the hearth."[/say]
Speaking of food made her own stomach growl. Scowling at the dark beyond the window slits, the loreseeker tried to recall if she had eaten anything at all that day.

RE: [SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Thalassa - 03-31-2024

Thal watched the butterfly flit across the room, further illuminating the organized chaos. Her eyes took in the stacks of books and papers but they were still too unfocused to comprehend the letterings. Instead, she admired the gilded covers and neat handwriting. The haphazard array of items felt opposite to her nonstop need for movement, however, she could admire the elegance of the studies even if they didn't call to her in the same way.

Accepting the invitation, she stepped inside, picking up a nearby copy of unfortunate anecdotes that had fallen to the floor. Smirking lightly, Thal took the offered seat facing the desk and nodded to Maea. [say]"Unless there's something stronger than tea, I think I'll stick with water."[/say] A glance at the nearby basket revealed a few small pieces of fruit and a roll of bread. They looked untouched overall. Her own stomach growled loudly after being ignored for so long. Thal pretended not to hear it, hoping it hadn't traveled farther than her ears before reaching for the loaf. She tore it in half and offered the other to Maea. [say]"How do you expect to write anything logical when your brain doesn't have any energy?"[/say] Her eyebrow lifted with amusement.

She then found an edge of the desk without pages cascading over the side, bracing her boots on it as she leaned back. Ripping into the bread, Thal looked closer at the book in her hands. It was aptly titled "Horrifying Deaths". A shiver ran down her spine and she scoffed. [say]"What a fitting story for such a gloomy night."[/say] The rain outside seemed to echo her sentiments as it increased its assault against the Atheneum. Despite the absence of a draft, the flames flickered. Thal pushed the creeping sensation from her skin and smiled at Maea, trying to ease her own emotions.

RE: [SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Serendipity - 03-31-2024

bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones.

You've encountered the OG random event! This allows you to skip one levelling requirement with the character in this thread. (Unfortunately does not count for characters over level 10, how sad.)

RE: [SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Maea - 03-31-2024

Responding to Thalassa's taunts with a surly look, the Loreseeker nevertheless accepted the half of bread and tore off a piece. Crumbs rained down to litter her desk. She took her time chewing the stale morsel, hoping it would spare her the need to come up with an answer.

Glancing at the book in her visitor's hand, she leaped for the change in subject.
[say]"Yeah, well. I've been looking up ways to pacify ghosts. It seemed relevant to examine why they would linger in the first place. Regrets, and such."[/say]

Squinting sidelong at the flickering candles, she didn't do anything to stop it. In truth, she knew more than most about what might keep ghosts restless. It was just not the kind of things she enjoyed dwelling on.
[say]"You spent some time on the sea, yes? Did you ever have trouble with spirits of the dead there?"[/say]

RE: [SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Thalassa - 04-01-2024

[say]"Is there a reason you're researching such a depressing subject? Any ghostly friends you're trying to get rid of?"[/say] She wiggled her fingers in playful jest but was genuinely curious as to why the Ancient would need such information. Was it more than just work causing the exhaustion in her eyes?

Shoving the bread down her throat, Thal cocked her head to consider the question. Of course she had spent plenty of time on the water, but she couldn't recall any supernatural encounters. [say]"Pirates are a superstitious sort. They do everything in their power to prevent spiritual encounters, especially malevolent ones."[/say] She flipped through the book nonchalantly, letting key words register in her brain as she continued to speak. [say]"We have an overabundance of legends and stories about dead pirates or victims, but there are usually cautionary actions taken to keep their unsettled souls from finding their way onto our ship, including the avoidance of particular words or specific movements. I never encouraged it. It was just habit."[/say] Thal looked up at Maea, wondering what could be inspiring this conversation topic other than the dreary weather.

RE: [SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Maea - 04-02-2024

Not answering right away, Maea traced the path of woodgrain across the desk. Putting together everything she had experienced for herself of spirits and ghosts, it did not amount to much. Certainly nothing useful. As for the superstitions of pirates... her thoughts snagged on that unsavory bit of information, but somehow managed to keep a straight face. Had Thal meant to reveal that, or was it a slip of the tongue?

[say]"Mostly it's curiosity, "[/say] she replied slowly. [say]"But... Have you noticed that there's rather a lot of ghosts aeound lately? People talk. They see things, hear voices in the wind, have things move and disappear - some even say they're being haunted."[/say]

The corners of her mouth angled downward.

[say]"Others have nightmares. More than usual."[/say]

RE: [SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Thalassa - 04-04-2024

She watched Maea's intent focus on the wood of her desk. Was it really only the frequency of spirits or did the mention of "nightmares" mean something significant? Thal let the comment hang in the air for a moment, feeling a potent supernatural energy become a third participant in their conversation.

Eager to expel the sensation, Thal smiled and attempted to appear relaxed despite the tingling along her spine. [say]"Sounds like guilt to me. And in that case, don't they deserve a little bit of pestering?"[/say] Her laugh was forced. [say]"In that case, I suppose I don't have to worry about that, considering I don't have a past to haunt me."[/say] Although she makes the statement jokingly, the weight of the confession weighs heavily on her. Maea has been a reassuring presence in spite of her tumultuous emotions, but they still don't know much about each other. Thal felt comfortable sharing who she is currently without fear of judgement. What about who she was? Not remembering her past felt like a weakness. She hoped that sharing that vulnerability might encourage Maea to trust her.

While Thal waited for Maea to contemplate her response, her gaze was pulled to the far recessed corner of the room. The light was unable to touch the dark shadow. She immediately stilled and wanted to eat her previous words. It could be a trick of the light, but she could swear that a disapproving expression was being made in their direction.

RE: [SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Maea - 04-05-2024

The pale hand stilled on the surface of the desk. Not quite flinching from the harsh judgement the pirate passed, but not entirely unphazed either. Maea bit her jaws together, frowning at the papers she had yet to organize without really seeing them.

[say]"Everyone has a past,"[/say] she muttered, [say]"whether they know it or not."[/say] Slumping back into the chair, she dragged a hand through the salty hair, pushing it out of her eyes. She focused on Thalassa, just in time to notice her nervous glances at the shadows. A chill had the hairs on her neck stand up; so it really wasn't just her imagination.

[say]"Care to make a trade? Help me with my haunting problem, and I can try to find out something about your past. Or anything else, really. Not like I'm desperate, but..."[/say] Not like she wasn't, either.

RE: [SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Thalassa - 04-06-2024

Dragging her eyes away from the vague figure, Thal focused on Maea and her words. She became more certain with each second that something had been bothering the Ancient. Evidently "a haunting problem." The suggestion along with the presence of the amorphous shadow implied that she wasn't just seeing things. There was, in fact, something - someone - in the corner of the room watching them.

Thal narrowed her eyes and fortified her emotions. She refused to be frightened by a lurking ghost. The temptation of discovering something about her past was also enticing enough for her to agree. [say]"Sounds like a mutually beneficial proposition."[/say] A smile forced its way onto her lips. Pretending that the paranormal entity wasn't listening to their every word, Thal asked, [say]"Any idea why this might be happening? Things like these don't haunt without a reason."[/say] Exploring the history might assist in finding a way to get rid of it, although Thal had no doubt that Maea would not enjoy divulging the information. Treating it as a puzzle might be the only way to suffer through it.

RE: [SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Maea - 04-06-2024

Maea's shoulders came up beneath the shawl. Indeed, it was not the most pleasant of topics, nor did she enjoy the idea of laying bare her past to a relative stranger. But... the nightmares were worse still. So she relented with a sigh.

[say]"Well... I don't know why. But I think I know who,"[/say] she began, with an uneasy glance at the corner, from where she sensed a pair of eyes watching. Hard eyes; resentful and so intense it made her skin prickle.
[say]"It's probably my sister in law. And if I'm right, I definitely deserve being haunted."[/say]

Scowling down at the desk, Maea gave up all pretense of decorum. The kicked off her shoes and pulled the feet up into the chair. With the gray shawl draped around her she had the look of an oversized moth, or perhaps a crysalis about to hatch some monstrous butterfly.

[say]"She, and my brother, and their three children, died almost ten years ago. And I wasn't there."[/say]

RE: [SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Thalassa - 04-07-2024

Watching the pale Ancient minimize herself to a cocoon of gray was hard to see. She almost wanted to reach out and hug her through the agony. Almost. Thal settled on listening to her quietly, letting the story unfold. Although the temptation to alleviate blame was strong, she could not, in good conscience, tell Maea she did nothing wrong without knowing the full account.

The death of five people was no small thing, but ten years was a long time to feel guilty about something. Thal had a suspicion that the haunting hadn't lasted that long. What recent events had caused her sister-in-law to cross the barrier and pursue revenge after all these years? What form of atonement would she require? Would Maea be willing to take the steps needed? Pulling her own cloak tighter around her, she looked across the desk at her friend(?). No words she said would make the ghost leave them. This was something Maea had to work through. With an expectant look, she nodded encouragingly for the explanation to continue.

RE: [SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - Maea - 04-07-2024

If she had hoped Thalassa would say something, the Loreseeker found those hopes dashed. There was nothing for it but to continue.

[say]"I assume you know about the barrier that used to encase the Hollowed Grounds? It was a grim place to live. The ground wasn't very fertile, and there was never enough food. During LongNight, monsters roamed outside, and everyone hid in their homes. Terrified to open a door, terrified of making noise that might draw attention."[/say]

Expression distant, Maea relived the dreadful days as she spoke of them. Felt keenly the angst of being back where it all happened, and liking none of the prospect of remaining here over the coming season.
[say]"It hd been a bad year, so I decided to spend LongNight in the Setrlement - what's now called Inner Quarter - so that my family would have more to eat. I hid away in the old inn. Then the Sparkbird showed up for the first time in living memory, and I met people, made friends..."[/say]  

Her voice clouded with self-loathing. [say]"While I was making merry and having fun, my family was being slaughtered. When I returned, it was to a house full of blood and signs of struggle, but no bodies. Nothing left to bury. It was... beyond horrifying."[/say]

Ten years, it would be, this coming Deepfrost. Or the next? Either way, it still felt like yesterday to Maea. So much of her memory was chipped and fragmented by time spent in stasis, or dead, or enstoned, that she didn't have the benefit of time to heal these wounds.
And now, being back in the Hollowed Grounds, all the shadows of the past were crowding in around her.

The presence in the corner seemed to swell, growing more noticeable as the story went on. Despite the brazier the chill in the air intensified, until their breaths fogged.