[SE] cut from marble
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 24 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 23 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
Maea
I feel it in the wind, my dear
The sun is gonna reappear
An easy mistake to make, to be sure. Maea shook her head. Noticing the glances toward her plate, she pushed it over in a quiet offer for Asta to help himself. "I think better surrounded by books," she explained with a faint smile. "And while I'm sure Danta would disagree, it looks a bit better to invite serious conversation into a serious establishment." Not that it had been a consideration when she chose the locale - that had been an entirely personal choice.
When it came to helping him set up shop, the answer came easily, somewhat to her own surprise. "Sure, I'll help. Just let me know when."

Nibbling on a slice of apple smothered in whipped honey and nuts, she gave Asta's answer about his vocation a bit more thought. The lingering look she leveled at him was frank, perhaps bolstered by the liquid courage of the drinks.
"I suppose that's between you two. Given what you've told me about yourself, I would be inclined to agree. But..." She hesitated, shifting in her seat, "it seems I'm quite able to live with it. So frankly, between you and me, I would find it ressuring if you were the worst of the monsters this region had to deal with." That Dygra's children promoted chaos still made her nervous in many ways, but she hoped there was a limit to what even they wanted to bring down over their own heads.
"Maybe consider it, at least? If you gave to abide by these promises you made to Danta, it shouldn't be more than fair that everyone else has to as well." Not just in the Dusklight, but everywhere else in the region too.
Good days are gonna come along
Hold on, hold on!
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Dusklight Security

Age: 39 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Online
Change author:
MP: 6492
Astaroth
// a beast in the business of selling forgiveness //
The fruit plate is offered and Asta eyes it for a few moments as he listens, before he reaches out to pluck an apple slice from the plate, lifting it to his lips and snapping the slice in two between the sharp edges of his front teeth. “Don’t let Danta hear you say that.” He teases with an amusing smile once he’s swallowed down the first bite, the other following suit as he nods to her agreement to help.

Now he just needs to figure out what all he needs. But that’s a thought for later, because she’s trying to convince him to have more of a role, one that he inherently knows is quite possibly an awful position to be in for himself.

Her acceptance of his monster status, though, earns her a too sharp grin and an incline of his head, accepting the compliment for what it was, before the butcher snorts and picks up another apple slice. “My profession, officially, is Dusklight Security. However, it already extends into being Danta’s attack dog for whatever needs being done.” If the Maverick said ‘attack’, you can bet Asta’s dropping everything to do it. “I do not need or want anything more official than that.” But perhaps it would alleviate her worries to know that he already has protected the Inner Quarter from dangers and threats, even if it wasn’t entirely focused on the Dusklight.

A memory of the finger he’d stolen to devour from such an adventure crosses his mind with the same kind of snap the apple slice provides between sharpened teeth.
// dead eyes on a treacherous grin //
Maea Valair

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
There was a finality in his reply that had her wondering if she had stepped on a landmine. But as she examined his face for signs of anger, all she saw was that too-sharp grin that had a chill travel down her spine.
"Yeah? Then I won't say anything more about it," she promised. The region was not pressed for security, though it could always be improved upon, and it wasn't her job to hire people anyway. Still, she couldn't help but sigh into her cup, for seeing such a good opportunity go to waste.

Sinking into her own thoughts, Maea focused on her food. Between the drink and the warmth of the room both her dress and hair gradually dried, leaving her feeling much better than before. Not quite relaxed, admittedly - there were too many people around for that - but sufficiently at ease to be fine with the silence that momentarily settled over them.
Hold on, hold on!
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Dusklight Security

Age: 39 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Astaroth
He makes quick work of devouring the second apple slice before he turns his attention back to the chocolate martini – a wonderful combo, if you ask him – when she makes her little vow and he inclines his head in appreciation. If there was one thing the butcher was known for, it was his stubbornness. Something that had helped keep him a threat, as well. There were far and few that could keep his leash, but Danta had proven to be able to handle it.

And so, the Maverick harbors the fyrhund’s leash, with promises and deals and agreements made between them, and that satisfied Asta enough.

Of course, he doesn’t get to do everything he would like to do, but he’s comfortable. And perhaps that’s all he needs for the moment. “Have you tried this chocolate drink that Danta crafted?” He asks idly, sliding the glass over for her to try should she wish to. “I have a terrible sweet tooth and it’s quite divine for it.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea looked down at the drink as it was pushed towards her, blinking with mild surprise at his willingness to share. "I have not," she replied, and leaned in to catch a whiff of the chocolate. "Usually I don't drink much." The fumes of strong spirits stung her eyes, and while she did pick up the glass for a sip it was a careful one, barely wetting her lips.

As it turns out, a little was more than enough. The flavor was rich and very pleasant, though she wasn't used to the cocoa which had been unheard of as she grew up, but the alcohol was strong enough to scour her throat on the way down. Did that make her a light-weight? Or was it simply a matter of being accustomed to those types of drinks? Perhaps there was a trick to drinking it.
Either way, Asta would be allowed to keep it to himself.

"It's good, but a bit strong for my taste," was her verdict. She passed the glass back. "I wish there was anything left of the cider my family used to make... If you've a sweet tooth you would have liked it, I think."
Hold on, hold on!
Dusklight Security

Change author:
Astaroth
Ironically, Astaroth is quite the sharer. If there’s anything of his that she wished to try, he would harbor no issue in offering. Yet, he knows that his choices and preferences aren’t exactly up her alley, so he keeps it locked behind his teeth in more… Safe choices. Like this drink, and her offer to share the fruit plate, despite how he often didn’t divulge in fruit of any sort. He was far more inclined to be carnivorous, eating meat whenever given the chance to.

Still, the apple was sweet and did have a satisfying snap. He can’t complain. And he says nothing as he hums his little sound of understanding, watching her with his dark gaze as she takes a sip and slides it back toward him. It was a strong one, but he could feel his limbs grow lighter and warmth flare into his body, enough that his tail unwraps from the bar stool and flicks idly and contently behind him. “Cider, mm?” He muses, cocking his head toward her, a dark piece of hair falling in front of his face. “It’s been an age since I had any kind of cider.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
"Apple cider," she nodded, happy to clarify. "We had an orchard, and raised sheep. Mostly they were for eating, but whenever there was a good year my brother would experiment."  Her expression turned distant as the memories bubbled to the surface. "It's been a long time since then... He's dead now."  

The wine was cooling in her mug. Kindling a bit of fire with a thought, she held the cup over it to try and re-heat the brew. The bartender scowled at her when the cup began to blacken with soot; she pretended not to notice.

"Do you have family?" From what he'd already shared she didn't think so, but wanted to ask all the same.
Hold on, hold on!
Dusklight Security

Change author:
Astaroth
It sounded like a simple life, the kind that Astaroth had never known. It’s with a semblance of an attempt to understand the allure and her nostalgia and sorrow over it that he nods his understanding — because those he knew were dead too. Except for Danta, who had already gone over the same semblances since finding him, of all of those other Ancients they knew that were likely dead or were stone gargoyles, lying in wait for someone to notice.

I’m sorry for your loss.” He apologizes, because he doesn’t know what else to say. He’d never been a family oriented person, having never had the opportunity or desire to. Such was the life of cannibals, he supposes.

As for himself? He shakes his head and snags another piece of fruit from the plate, tail still flicking idly behind him like the question doesn’t bother him at all. “I do not.” He answers honestly, tilting his gaze back toward her. “I can recall memories of my mother, but they are fleeting. Never knew my father. I left as soon as I had a chance to.” But they had been over that, his tribe of cannibals turning on one another when the prey became nonexistent. Astaroth had branched out and left any thought of a family long behind.

Not that there was ever much of one to begin with.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
"Thank you." The soft tone was different from her usual response whenever someone expressed sympathy. There was always a tendency to wave it off, shrug and pretend that she was fine, even when that was far from the truth. But lately... she'd begun to think that it might not be that bad, for people to know that she cared about things. That feeling things and not being okay... maybe wouldn't make others run screaming for the hills.

It was experimental, and entirely Harper's fault, but worth a try.

Picking through the fruits in search for her favorites - it was her food, she could be as choosy as she wanted - Maea watched Asta from the corner of her eye as he replied to her question. What sounded like a sad tale was delivered matter-of-factly, suggesting it didn't bother him much, and it made her wonder what it was like, to be so detached from the concept that had founded her whole personality.

"Does it get lonely?" she wondered, tongue made loose by too much alcohol. Her cheeks were growing flushed, lavender hued eyes not quite focusing the way they had before. "It's been so long since my family passed, but I still have this feeling that they're still around somewhere, just out of sight. I can't imagine what it would be like to not have that... Is that why you all keep saying that ancients are a family?"
Hold on, hold on!
Dusklight Security

Change author:
Astaroth
A hum of you’re welcome is offered to the pale Ancient, while Astaroth finishes the slice of fruit he’d chosen. And once he has, he shifts his attention back to the sweet alcohol in his glass, only for her question to give him pause as he downs part of the glass. He’s never thought about it — an occurrence that hadn’t happened until he’d ended up here and Danta had forced his hand.

So it’s one that takes some consideration, mulling it over before the butcher turns toward Maea with a soft tinged smile. “It is difficult to be lonely when one hasn’t had a life spent with others.” He offers her honestly, before he shrugs a shoulder lightly. “I consider Ancients to be my family because we all have the same goals and do things together, and from my experience that is what makes a family. But even before now, when I was in the Climb forever ago, I was very much alone. I had my own space that nobody stepped foot on.” In fact, the fact that Danta and Maea had spent time in his room was at odds with everything he’d had before.

And he’s slowly realizing that it is a nice feeling, not that he keeps intending on telling Dantalion he’s right. He can only handle so much of his smugness. “But, there are times I still wonder if my handlers are out there somewhere.” He shrugs casually, downing the rest of the glass before nodding to the bartender for another. His goal now is to get as warm and toasty as possible before curling up in front of the fire on his bed.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Starting to feel full, she picked over a few pieces but eventually just pushed the plate away, for Asta to indulge in or not as he pleased. It was strange for her to think of strangers as family, just because they were followers of the same goddess. Too loose of a connection and not nearly enough of a common denominator to warrant trust or affection, it had her wonder all over again if she was strange, as far as ancients went. Closed off, distrustful, wary of associating herself with anyone who didn't align with her morals or ideals... all the reasons why she hesitated to open up too much to Asta.

"Handlers?" she noticed with a light frown. Folding her arms on the counter, she leaned her chin down and tipped her head aside to see his expression better. "What's that about?"
Hold on, hold on!
Dusklight Security

Change author:
Astaroth
She picks up on his small blunder of mentioning his handlers, but he doesn’t let her question bother him as his next drink arrives and he sips from it a little slower, tail still waving idly behind him like it was on purpose. “When I was found in the Climb, I had two Ancients bring me to Dygra.” They had changed him for the better, as far as he was concerned.

But he’d had a job to do in order for him to be a welcome addition. “They gave me my orders on what to do, once I’d gotten a hang of things. I always called them that as a joke.” Because he often utilized his fyrhund shift and his tiger shift, back when he’d had the feline alternative. “But, back then, I was security for the Climb as well. Somewhat more like a bounty hunter, I suppose, but if they told me to jump, I jumped.” He believed whatever they told him.

Which is what led to Asta and Danta’s rough start, and the fleeting memory of Danta beneath his sharpened cane.

But, he sips from the glass and shakes his head a little and flashes her that same shape smile. “Danta fulfills that role for me now, truthfully.” He is affectionately the Dusklight Attack Dog.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
It didn't really sound like the fun kind of joke to her. More like mockery. The kind of taunt you flung at someone you didn't like much but couldn't do anything about. But while she watched his expression for any sign of disliking the subject they had turned to, all Asta offered was that same toothy smile.

"What will you do if they show up now?" she wondered, offering him a chance to be honest in a roundabout way - or not, whichever he pleased. "I've never had anyone tell me what to do in that way. There's been guild masters, but participating was always optional. Not sure I'd ever let anyone decide anything for me. Not even Danta." She had made the choice to seek employment under him, and slowly but surely he was growing into something like a friend. But from there to jumping because he told her to do it? That was a stretch.
Hold on, hold on!
Dusklight Security

Change author:
Astaroth
What would he do if they showed up now? It wasn’t like he hated them. They could be pushy and annoying, but he owed them a lot in terms of literally saving his life. But he feels as if he’d paid it back and then some, gotten used to the solitary that his life had been and continued to remain. He was allowed to do so much, freedom to wander and explore and learn. They’d let him learn how to read and write, how to gain manners, allowed him the ability to dress overtly over the top without a single thread of worry.

I don’t think I would mind. But if they tried to tell me what to do, I’d tell them to go fuck themselves.” That toothy grin remains and seems to suggest he’d want no part in it.

At her follow up, though, he nods and sips from his drink lightly, the alcohol swarming his mind now as he feels like he could melt into a puddle. Even if the bed was a bit too cold without Danta’s affectionately annoying presence. “I owe my fair share of loyalties.” And as he had told her before, he was a man of his word. “It isn’t for everyone, but it works well enough for me. And it’s easy with Danta. He doesn’t expect much.” His accent tips a little thicker, more charming in the way it melts together, and his dark gaze remains on Maea as he awaits her reaction.