{SE} the sun has fallen over
Anju Rao
Captain

Age: 32 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 10 - Int:
RIYA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9347
Anju
I see what lies heavy on your heart
Floating cities, even modern ones, often lack important things. Most important being, well, wood. City parks and urban planning never could have accounted for an entire city going airborne, leaving firewood and lumber a luxury. As one of the few senior Dragoon left, Anju had coordinated for a small fleet of Skyships to be sent down to the Oerwoud to collect larger parcels of wood for those who still had fireplaces in the city.

She is not here with that fleet however, having been dropped off a few days prior. No, she and Riya explore the snow-laden woods alone, their bundle of wood tied to Anju's back with militaristic precision, creating a neat square wrestled into obedience. She is gathering for herself at best, but mostly she had simply wanted to get out of the city for a while. It still feels so barren, so empty. Devoid of all familiar faces but Lena, and with so much destruction still about. Though she'd never been an adventurer, Ludo and the war had turned her into one, and now it's the only reprieve she has.
and the strength you still keep inside
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 6754
Lena
hope is the thing with feathers
that perches in the soul
Lena wasn’t amidst the fleet of skyships, though she’d heard the passing orders some days before. In fact, she wasn’t expecting to run into anyone here at all – not with the way the Oerwoud twisted and turned, paths intertwining amidst the ferns, the greenery, the life. A beautiful place full of opportunity and resources, with the little bundle of her own already collected and over her shoulder, intending to snag more.

There were some herbs tied together, with a few pieces of fallen wood for kindling, alongside other stores collected. Not yearning to be greedy, but certainly knowing the necessity of these devices, especially with incoming LongNight and Stormbreak’s unfortunate ways they found disaster, she continued along, before raising her head and seeing a familiar face in the midst.

“Anju, hello!” came on a corresponding wave. “I didn’t think you’d be out here!” But then again, it shouldn’t have surprised the Caretaker, given the Dragoon’s penchant for preparation. “Do you need help with anything?”
and sings the tune without the words
and never stops at all
Anju Rao
Captain

Age: 32 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Anju
Riya alerts her first, only because she is nearby - snuffling about in the snow, ivory scales of a similar color still not enough to disguise her large frame - and capable of hearing Lena's footsteps approaching. The tug on her side of the bond alerts Anju readily enough to turn her dark head in time for the caretaker's greeting, faint surprise overtaking the normally stoic woman's face. Lena is a rare friend to the awkward, serious woman, and as such is allowed a small smile as the Dragoon turns to face her fully.

"Lena," she greets simply, "I could say the same." Though as the bundled herbs are spotted, she answers her own question readily enough to warrant not asking it. "I've got enough firewood, now I just need kindling if you'd like to help." The offer was implied, but Anju would welcome company if nothing else. Riya - belatedly bounding over after ignoring the newcomer in favor of investigating a rabbit hole - interrupts to butt her head against Lena's thigh, demanding scratches.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
The dragon was always a welcome force of nature, and the Caretaker’s smile broadened as the creature ambled over. She hummed a light, soft tune under her breath as she reached out to scratch the top of the companion’s head, hands already digging through her pants pocket for treats. “Hello to you too, Riya,” came on dulcet foundations, before she applied her attention to the Dragoon.

Nodding at the necessities, she immediately began searching along the undergrowth, pushing broad ferns and leaves out of the way. Eventually she found one or two dried up portions, adding them to her small pile, head inclining back to Anju when the silence became a little too much for her to bear. “How are you?”
and never stops at all
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Anju
Riya wriggles her entire body - sans her head, which remains perfectly still for maximum scratching - in a clear, adoring display of happiness that has Anju snorting her amusement softly as she takes in the pair of them. "Don't give her too many of those or she'll get fat and lazy," she notes, gesturing her chin towards the treats that Riya immediately gobbles up. It would sound derisive in any of her other, natural tones, but there's a soft amusement scant around the edges that lightens the blow into something teasing. Further emphasized by the way Riya blows a smoke ring at her sassily.

They search together for a small time, and though Anju is more than content with the silence, she doesn't mind the question either. Certainly not from Lena.

"Tired," she admits quietly. "Things are hard without Ronin, or any of the council. Many still look to me for guidance, but I am no leader." She has firmly kept things unofficial in their capacity, but it doesn't stop the people from hoping, or seeking her out at all hours of the night. "Thus, alone time." She gestures with a wry smile at their surroundings before turning to face Lena, tucking away her own growing bundle. "You?" She knows they both grieve to this day. While she'd lost all her Dragoon brothers and sisters, they had not been related by blood, and Anju knows the loss of true family is much harder to bear. For a sensitive soul like Lena, it's a miracle she has made it this far.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Lena would hardly let a familiar animal go by without some form of treat in scratches, food, or both, and she could only smile wider at Anju’s statement and the dragon’s reaction. To be fair to the lizard, given the nature of her antics, training, and any other necessities, she’d rarely have the opportunity to become plump or idle. Brushing her hands to show they were empty, she gave one last scratch along the top of her head, before angling for more wood.

Snagging at another bundle of broken twigs, the Caretaker could only nod, understanding the notions entirely. “It’s too bad we don’t have many interested.” Leadership wasn’t an easy thing, and Stormbreak had seen so many debacles, it was understandable as to why no one wanted to commit to such a role. “For what it’s worth, I think you’re doing a great job.” Reassurance, if anything else, gentle and obliging, came on a hum and a light, easygoing breath of air.

She glanced down though, cringing inwardly at interrupting Anju when she’d sought to be alone, away from the constant need of others. “Sorry.” As for her own wellbeing, Lena brushed it aside. “I’m okay. Working on getting a healing staff from Frey.”
and never stops at all
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Anju
Riya gives a mournful croon at the empty hands, before rebounding as swiftly as always, turning and plunging into the snowy woods like a runaway bear to Gods knew where now. Anju rolled her eyes fondly after the scaly wrecking ball, knowing she’d circle back in time.

The compliment makes color wash up Anju’s face, turning brown skin into deeper shades around her cheeks, ears, and neck. “Thank you Lena,” she manages to gruff out through a throat gone stiff with awkward, but sincere gratitude for the sentiment. “With how it floats now, I think we’re just harder to get to, and that doesn’t encourage immigration. And Abandoned still cannot visit.” Though numbers seemed to be down, they were still individuals who might have otherwise stepped up to leadership.

Straightening, Anju dusts her hands off with a sharp brush against her thighs, wondering blank-faced why Lena had apologized. “Sorry for what?” It dawns late, only after remembering that Lena often apologizes for being a nuisance when she never is, and Anju snorts a small laugh. “Oh. You are my friend - you don’t count.” Spoken with the simplistic confidence more befitting a child than a soldier. Moseying closer, Anju’s eyebrows rise in clear interest. “Useful. What are your tasks?” Lena has never minded her brevity and stoicism, and it leaves Anju far more relaxed, content with her own state of being.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
She watched Riya skitter off into the woods, moderately amused, thinking of her sister’s dragon, sometimes idle amidst the Celestine, or meandering through the rest of Stormbreak, before smiling back at Anju, nodding her head in a ‘you’re welcome ‘accord without giving them words – figuring it would only embarrass Anju further. The statement gave her more pause, however, with how the world was altering and changing again. “Do you want them to visit?” Lena had never been an individual to hold Abandoned any grudges, resistance, or hostility, but she was sure, based on tradition alone, that there were many others along the floating world that still kindled their acrimony.

Grinning again when she realized she didn’t ‘count’ as a nuisance, the Caretaker contented herself with gathering a few more sticks of kindling to add to her growing bundle. “I already grabbed a branch from the Greatwood and I’m having it crafted, I need to see some healing magic, and collect an efas herb.”
and never stops at all
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Anju
It’s not an unfair question, given the indoctrination she and so many others in Stormbreak went through. Abandoned were cast away from the Old Gods after all, so they could not be allowed any forgiveness or welcome. “The Gods seem to be adapting and Attuning more Abandoned than before,” she notes, recalling the various ones she’d met already, despite her own antisocial inclinations. “Many fought in the war as well. What do our borders achieve, in truth? There is no amassed army of Abandoned to defend against. Why not bring them in so that we may arm them with faith? Encourage their fealty, educate them on proper etiquette, to improve their chances at Attuning?” As a surprisingly religious woman, this is the path that makes the most sense to Anju. Reeducation instead of ostracization.

It’s a much easier list of tasks than hers had been, admittedly. Anju doesn’t mind that. Ludo had had faith in her, faith to awaken Mort’s missing daughter, and she had been proud to return triumphant. Glancing around with an uncertain expression, Anju squints at the ground. “I am no botanist…does the herb grow here?” If so, she’d be happy to spend extra time helping with Lena’s quest.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Lena listened astutely as she crouched to gather a few more sticks to add to their kindling pile, fingers nimbly clambering over the roughened timber. Anju seemed to open to encouraging assimilation amongst the Abandoned – faith in the heralds that had subsequently tarnished them due to one very bad seed. “It’s not a bad idea,” she concurred, wondering if that’s what many of them would want. But they’d have the choice – as most of the world did. “And we certainly have many texts and others willing to educate…,” if they put their prejudice aside.

And some like Gideon, who, well –

Meandering away from that notion of thought, she raised back up from her crouch. “From what I’ve learned, its located in the Grounds, in the Labyrinth.” Pausing, considering, the Caretaker shrugged her shoulders, as if it were just one more adventure on the list. “Have you ever been?”
and never stops at all
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Anju
Gathering strips of bark from the dry inner core of a tree with snow-laden branches, Anju keeps her eyes keenly tuned to Lena's soft vocals to better parse them, muffled as they are. Reemerging and simultaneously frowning at the snow that tickles her cheeks and hair, the Dragoon lashes it to her pack almost absentmindedly, more focused on the topic at hand. "The generalized prejudice will be hard to overcome, but that can only be achieved through time and exposure. Vetting those who would take up the task of education would be most important." Ensuring they did not have ulterior, darker motives, or sought to undermine their outreach efforts. "We need more people at the end of the day. I'm not sure what else to propose." It's a difficult thing to admit, because Anju wants to help her people more than anything, but she is no scholar or leader. Merely a soldier with a decent enough moral compass to try.

The Grounds? "Yes, briefly. On Ludo's command. It was strange. Underdeveloped, rather dilapidated. But the people were helpful enough." Despite having gone at the height of the Ascended rule, there had been plenty of hardy, stubborn humans who had remained even after the barrier had fallen. She does not offer her assistance, if only because it seems presumptuous, assuming Lena would want or need her company.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Distracted from the aspects of further kindling, the youth bent to snag at a few herb blossoms winding their way through the snow – strong, hardy, and beneficial for everyone in Stormbreak. Breaking off a few or tugging down into their roots, she tilted her head, listening all the while, striving not to frown at the subject matter of simply having more people. “I’m not sure how to entice any others.” Previous ventures hadn’t been kind to Stormbreak. “Could we hold a…festival, or something?” What would lure them to the ancient world, and make them want to stay?

The subject matter of the Grounds gave her some manner of pause, mostly because she was so unfamiliar with it. Stories of a world locked away for hundreds of years could only travel so many times around the stony villas and ancient landmarks before becoming slightly absurd and altered. “That’s too bad. I suppose, being cut off from everyone else for so long, they managed to find other means of survival.” She shrugged her shoulders, pondering, wondering, as she moved to stand again. “I won’t be there long.” A reassurance for Anju, maybe, or herself.
and never stops at all
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Anju
Emerging to find Lena collecting some sort of plant, Anju stands awkwardly still and with a militaristic posture to her left. A festival sounds like the worst thing for Anju personally, but she can't deny it's a sound idea. "It would be a good way to demonstrate our technological advancements. But the skyboats are rather slow." This left the problem of either housing people overnight, or having a day (or days) long festival. Both were options, but Anju wasn't sure which was more appealing.

"Yes, the land has had to support them for far too long. The people are hardy however, though understandably not very giving." Information had been freely dispersed when Anju asked around for help, but goods and lodgings were haggled for quite seriously. Lena's assurance is definitely more for Anju, whose face is going through some complicated measure of seizures to form a concerned expression. "Will you go alone?" Maybe if she asks, she can ascertain how gregarious Lena is, how open to the idea of being accompanied. Though the Grounds had been quite safe last Anju had been there, she has never been able to shake the desire to shove Lena in a box to keep her safe, especially after her sister's passing.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Lena paused, pondering over other measures and details, while her fingers twirled one of the blossoms in her hands. “There’s not much else to get them there, unfortunately.” Unless they were Attuned, capable of flight, or given those grand mythical shifts like Ronin’s dragon. And the skyships would always be a little slow – but could pack more people. “And the church, the library…,” she began to offer, as if they were great complements to the rest of the world. Perking up briefly, eyes flickering back to Anju, her smile widened. “I could offer tours of the Celestine?” Maybe some lectures in between?

Discussion of the Hollowed Grounds left her pondering further, rising back from her crouch, the little flower still rolling between her movements. She might've missed Anju's furtive concern, if only to appease her own mind. “I think so. It should be all right.” Because if she said it enough times, and managed to meander away from the danger and ineptitude, than it might all come to fruition.
and never stops at all