[SE] Ringing in spring
for Evie <3
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Their friendship was equal parts comfortable and comforting to the mermanta, who treasured the time he was able to spend with the human healer when their duties so often relegated them to mere letters. Days like this were a gift beyond price and it was made even more special by being able to share a silver of his world with Evie and to see the joy in her eyes, reminding him of the true wonder of things which he sometimes took for granted.

Surfacing back at their patch of tender young algae went without incident, but Hadama was unprepared for the excitement that his friend shared with him. The merman quietly beamed with pleasure at Evie's enthusiasm, making no attempt to slow her questions though he tucked each one carefully into his memory until she slowed down and mentioned the bubble.

"Hmm. Perhaps Frey could help with the ringing," he mused, settling the patch of algae that Evie had used gently back among its brethren. "Thank you for testing it." He tilted his head and his eyes turned blue as his magic reached for the water that soaked the lady through and began to carefully separate it from her clothes and hair to help her dry faster.

"Sound is felt and heard, yes," he explained while he worked, nodding in confirmation of her questions. "You can hear speech, but only as long as the air lasts in their lungs. The bond is easiest, but we have a language of clicks and whistles among ourselves." For when the Mer breathed water and had no air with which to make the deeper, softer sounds.

He smiled up at Evie, eyes alight with mischief. "When you are in Torchline next time, would you like to hear whalesong?"
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen
Warden of Halo / Apothecarist

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 8 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 30 - Int:
MICAH - Regular - Tide Jaguar
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Evie
I'm growing up, but I'm not growing old
Though he is quiet, his beaming speaks volumes, and warms up his entire countenance in a way that nearly distracts Evie from the buzzing of questions in her head. Nearly. Though she marvels at the strange sensation of water being drawn from her clothing, Evie keeps her attention enough to wave a hand loosely at his gratitude. "You happened to walk right into my favorite interest of plants and their abilities, it was great fun! I'm surprised by how strong the bubble was." If it were magic, it would grow weaker as distance increased, so she wonders if the structure of the bubble itself is different somehow.

"How interesting," she whisper-gushes, eyes wide as she envisions the sounds. "I'm sure like other languages, it utilizes different anatomy in the throat and tongue. I wonder if it could be taught?" Or if perhaps there were interesting anatomical differences they didn't know about - aside from the very plainly obvious. As for the offer, she cannot resist such an enticing idea, and glows like a miniature sun at the prospect. "Of course! They're one of my favorite animals, but I so rarely get to see them. The Grounds had no access to the ocean for so long, and Halo has only the few who can stand the temperature. I'd love to see them more up close." Plus, it gives Evie another reason to come back and visit him and Melita, the two friends she really has.
And I hate to do anything that I've been told
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
"I was, too," he admitted. The algae's strength had been a welcome surprise and boded well for attempts to transplant it to saltier waters.

Then her enthusiasm washed away his distracted pondering and he smiled fully at his friend, inclining his head in agreement. "It is a different shaping, but not different... mm. Anatomy. I can teach you." He was immensely pleased though he could only show it in the warmth of his gaze. She was the first human to ask it of him, and it was a strange realization that what was once such a secret would now be shared openly with the landfolk.

That the first one it would be shared with was Evie made it far more sweet to the stolid mermanta.

"They are wise. And gentle," he assured her. "In Longheat the water will be warm and filled with songs."

He checked the algae patch a final time, making sure it was protected in its little eddy of the Estuary. With business out of the way they could catch up on the gossip from Halo and Torchline both, and though the weather was still on the chilly side it was a wonderful way to spend a Flowerbirth day with a friend.

~Fin~