[SE] Mapquest 1
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5305
Point at the Mistbanks the map had said in backward letters and backward words. Hadama had little time to ponder over it during LongNight on account of the owlbear, but when the sun and stars returned he had taken his guesses and swam to the skyport.

Perhaps the map's instructions meant to stand in the center of the indicated island and point the map towards the Mistbanks? So he had borrowed a map of old Caido and one of new from a skyship captain and checked the island shown on the kraken's map against those on the world maps.

In his experience and to his eye, none quite matched the shape and nearby landmasses shown, either before or after the War.

He had returned the borrowed maps and sent a note to Ray, asking to travel together to the Oerwoud. Perhaps the X on the map indicated a point, or place, within the Mistbanks? One of Rae's Fingers was rumored to lead there, but it sounded like a place one could get easily lost if separated. Still, it would be a good opportunity to make an offering to the Flowerbirth deity even if they had no luck with the map.

With his ring to aid them (and how well Safrin had chosen that gift) they swam the tunnels, lit by starlight, until they emerged in the misty waters of the shrouded lake.

"Let us stay close," he rumbled to his friend upon realizing that the name was more than appropriate to the region. He checked the map frequently as they swam the cool waters, seeking islands that matched the shape of the one indicated.
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Ray
Never underestimate
The lengths to which
Ray eagerly agreed to join Hadama for the next portion of their quest. And what a quest it was! Even if it hadn't been given by a deity directly, there was no doubt in her mind that this string of events was connected to the Gods in some way. Perhaps not Safrin directly, even if the first clue had come from her shrine, but it was of divine nature undoubtedly.

As they swam, the Attuned nodded, "Of course." The path in front of them was unpredictable but she had hope that they'd find what they were looking for. The place on the map was unfamiliar to her as well and her own investigations with older maps of Caido had come up empty. It made her uneasy.
Nature itself
Will kill you

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
Nothing happens
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
It was an eerie place. Like swimming through shallow water where the pounding surf swirled pale sand into clouds so that one couldn't see their fingers at the end of their outstretched hand, the mist obscured vision and made direction difficult to determine.

Hadama left the surface to Ray and dove deeply to the bottom of the lake, using his trident to etch a line of markers so they would be able to find their way back while his human friend swam the waters above him.

The lake was not without islands of its own, and in time they found one that seemed roughly the same shape as the one in the map, in what the mermanta thought was the center of the lake. He surfaced and handed the map to Ray wordlessly, for he could not easily follow her onto land - even such a small islet as this.
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Ray
Never underestimate
The lengths to which
Ray took the map with a nod. She walked a short distance before turning. Ok. Here we go. Taking a deep breath, the herbalist held the map up in the air. She made sure to have it face the water of the Mistbanks as if they were a mirror. The Attuned wasn't sure what she was expecting, if anything at all.

Perhaps a new clue would emerge? Would the map change shape? Ray hoped there would be at least some indication that they'd interpreted the clue correctly. If not, they'd have to brainstorm their next step. Forcing her muscles to relax, Ray waited.
Nature itself
Will kill you

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
Nothing happens
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama was willing to wait for quite some time before finally accepting that this was not the place indicated. Hmm. The map was in Torchline. Perhaps it was meant to stay in Torchline, and be pointed towards the Mistbanks. The Kuali'i Isles seemed a likely location to try again, but as he looked around the mist-shrouded lake he tilted his head thoughtfully.

Before we go I would like to pay my respects to Ghilio. I have brought an offering... He paused considering the mist and the hidden distant shores. Perhaps I can leave it here. It was the thought that counted, hopefully. And he had no idea if a Shrine or altar to the seasonal deity existed - or if it would even be accessible by Mer if it could be found.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Never underestimate
The lengths to which
That's a good point. She glanced towards the Kuali'i Isles, a similar idea forming in her mind. It'd be worth a try at the very least. Alas, the secrets of the map would have to remain a mystery for a bit longer. The Attuned would be lying is she said she wasn't having fun with the small quest that she'd found herself on with her friend.

Looking around, Ray nodded. I think that's wonderful This is probably as good of a spot as any. I didn't bring an offering but I do have something I can leave for them. Walking over to a dry patch, Ray took a knee and dug a bag of cookies out of her bag. I always bake snacks for trips, so if you ever get hungry just let me know. Maybe Ghilio likes sweets too?

She then placed the cookies down on a leaf, an improvised plate.
Nature itself
Will kill you
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama looked on curiously as Ray produced a small bag, but he only had to wait a few moments before she explained its contents. Her answer brought a certain gleam to emerald eyes and he tilted his head slowly in acknowledgment. Yes, he agreed, though whether it was to Ray's offer or to her question on the god was up to interpretation.

With the cookies unfortunatelysafely out of reach of the water, Hadama turned his attention to the net bag attached to his harness. A glass fishing float filled with Arclight water was retrieved and set on the edge of the island, rocking gently in the lapping waves of the mermanta's movements. Though the daylight made it difficult to see there was enough diffusion of the sun that faint glimmers from the glowing phytoplankton within could almost be seen. By night the water would glow with every wave the nudged the float and shook the water withing.

Thank you, Ghilio, he said simply, head bowed over his offering.

When he raised it again he nodded to Ray. When you are ready, we can go. And try the next location for the map.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Never underestimate
The lengths to which
Ray gave Hadama a knowing look as the mer gave his own offering. It was beautiful and the work he'd put into it was clear. Once the mer was done, the Attuned nodded back. I'm ready. But first... Reaching into her bag with a grin, the herbalist manifested another bag of cookies. Walking over to the water and handing them to Hadama, she winked.

For you. Just let me know if you ever need more. Once Hadama had eaten or put away his prize, Ray turned and began to lead the way to the Isles. She hoped that their second plan would be a success. Her curiosity over the map was driving her up a wall.

-{FIN}
Nature itself
Will kill you