There's only going up from here
Jude Quinn
Singer

Age: 19 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Jude

Jude is irrevocably lost. While he can find his way to Soh's house blindfolded, he never really ventures anywhere else without her guiding them (though she admittedly also does that in nearly every region they end up in together). She had asked him to pick something up for her while she was in Halo, but the directions she'd given had been a little lackluster, and he definitely got a turn or two wrong after asking a stranger for help.

So now, flustered and running late to pick it up, Jude must once again overcome his social anxiety to ask someone to point him in the right direction.

Easy peasy, right?

Except the Plaza is packed. Summer shopping is in full swing, and Jude has already gotten a few narrow-eyed looks for standing around, even on the side of the walkway. Heart beating in his ears, he forces himself to turn around and snag at the clothes of the first person he sees so he can't wimp out. "S-Sorry," he blurts out immediately for the impoliteness of having grabbed at them, "I'm super lost. Do you know where -?" from behind another shopper jostles into him, making him stumble forward and then make a strangled noise as something hot goes running down his spine. One hand clutching at the general area he spins around only to find someone red-faced and huffing with half a coffee in their hand. "Look what you did!" they accuse, and Jude's face goes similarly red, frustrated and intimidated and he's still fucking lost. And now his back is burned and his shirt is ruined but he still can't find anything to say.
I LEND EVERYONE MY EAR, BUT NOBODY MY HEART
I'D LIKE TO CHANGE THAT, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 28 - Int:
PIPSQUEAK - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Koa
Now I just want to play on my panpipes
I just want to drink me some wine
Koa's at work - or "at work" if we're going to be accurate, because it's very hard to do any real work on such a gorgeous summer day. Still, he's managed to achieve a close enough facsimile as he stans in attention in the middle of the square, hands folded and shoulders squared back, the picture of a dutiful Dragoon.

And if he's wearing a hat, hey, who can blame him? It's sunny - lots of people wearing hats.

And if that hat is pulled low enough to hide the fact that his copper eyes are definitely not open, well, honestly, it should be admirable, how adept the soldier has become at sleeping standing up.

Thus is the state when he's awoken - er, startled to attention - by a commotion not so far away. Yelling, which isn't incredibly uncommon, but it's at a higher pitch and level of anger than usual, and as much as much as Koa would like to continue ignoring it, he is, technically, on the job.

Bright eyes open blearily as he raises his chin: he glares into the milling crowd, trying to catch the source of the conflict. he can see it already, a spot where the traffic is still and not milling. Always a sign of trouble, even in this, the Usually Quite Pacifist Plaza. With a heavy sigh the boy pushes forward, resigned to his fate of work.

"'Scuse me ma'am... sir... Dragoon coming..." Between his stature and his uniform it's easy to push his way through the crowd. It takes seconds to reach the conflict, and when he does the scene is easy enough to parse. Tourist Kid Lost in Plaza, Leading to Coffee-Based Assault. Said kid looks as scared as a cloudwyrm cornered by a landshark, were the landshark in fact a rather short older woman with a terrible haircut, holding a basket and positively steaming with ire.

"There a problem here?" Koa's voice is smooth and pleasant, an unflappable smile on his handsome face as he pushes back his hat. He towers over the woman and dwarfs the kid ('kid', Koa, you actual infant?), and there's a seriousness in his copper eyes that belies his easy nature, the quiet authority of law enforcement which dares onlookers to challenge.

Oh, he's also got a wicked shiner blooming over his right eye. Make of that what you will.
As soon as you're born you start dyin'
So you might as well have a good time
Jude Quinn
Singer

Age: 19 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Jude

Jude may be taller than the fuming older woman but he’s also a rather slender young man (which is a nice way of saying he’s a twig) and, as stated before, easily intimidated by people who seem to have shrill shouting down to a science. Injustice wells in his throat, but manners hold back the sharpness he can feel behind his teeth. “Well?! Don’t just stand there looking -” whatever insult she may have cooked up dies as an imposing shadow falls over the both of them, and they turn as a pair towards -

Good gods, he’s pretty.

Tongue thick for an entirely different reason now, Jude manages to blink and tune back in a little too late because the woman he is now personally dubbing Bad Bob is already off on a tangent claiming Jude had rudely cut her off in the walkway. “I’m sorry we’re bothering you,” his soft voice rises beneath hers, ears pink with embarrassment at the scene he is now part of. “I’ll pay for a new coffee. But I wasn’t even walking when you bumped me - and burned me.” This he aims at the older woman, because he can’t help it, a liar taking advantage of him gives him a temporary backbone. She seems equally incensed, and gestures with her half-full coffee at Jude while turning beady eyes on the Dragoon. “Ridiculous! He got it on my blouse too - this is silk you know! He should replace that as well!” Anger and fluster color Jude’s fair skin even darker, beauty marks and freckles stark on his face as she makes this poor man’s job even harder while dragging Jude down with her.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Koa
Ok well this is already exhausting, and Koa can feel the beginning of a headache brewing behind his eyes. Still he manages to keep his features pleasantly neutral while the older woman squawks her indignation, handsome face exuding calm understanding - though he does cock an eyebrow when the boy chips in, offering, of all things, to pay for the coffee.

It isn't terribly difficult to figure out what happened, and who is in the wrong. "Okay," the Dragoon interjects finally, raising his hand in a request to stop. He's hoping to head off the woman's tangent about silk shirts and who owes who, before his patience and brain implode. "Sounds to me like an accident all around," Koa begins with a diplomatic smile that does not reach his copper eyes. "But if you want to file a report, ma'am, I'd be happy to take your statement. I'm sure we can find some witnesses to corroborate your story."

He glances around at the milling crowd, some of whom seem particularly eager to speak up - though based on their snickering expressions, not necessarily in her defense.

And while the red-faced woman throws her own indignantly panicked glances through the onlookers, Koa takes the opportunity to wink conspiratorially at Jude.
Jude Quinn
Singer

Change author:
Jude

It shouldn't take him by surprise, but it does. In fact he has to (badly) stifle a startled laugh when the Dragoon turns the table on the old woman flawlessly, clearly accustomed to this sort of nonsense. Jude doesn't envy that; the looks, body, and charm of being a Dragoon? Sure, he might envy that. But the job itself looks like a scam from his shoes right now.

Maybe it's just this Dragoon though, because his sly wink makes Jude's cheeks turn pink immediately even as his lips twitch into a helpless smile. Truly he should be trying to keep a more neutral expression so that old woman doesn't spontaneously combust, but Jude is the one winning so it's a little hard. In fact he's a little distracted because the old woman must have finished her tirade or realized she was outnumbered, because she storms off in the other direction muttering things under her breath that Jude is happy not to hear.

Releasing a slow breath and reminding his frazzled nerves that the worst has passed, Jude flashes a grateful smile at the Dragoon. "Thank you. I don't know how you can handle that all day and still be so -" ears slowly turning pink as he realizes he has no good word to end that sentence that isn't too fawning, Jude merely motions awkwardly with his hands. "D-Do you know where I can get a new shirt?" He's still drenched and most certainly burned, but given it's on his back he'll have to ask someone to check later and just try to salvage the rest of the afternoon. Hopefully the person he was meant to meet for Soh's supplies is still waiting, but if not his girlfriend will surely forgive him given the circumstances.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
Koa
It works exactly how Koa expected: faced with actually needing to back up her actions the woman falters and scurries away, leaving the Dragoon alone with the boy while the onlooking crowd dissipates. Koa watches the retreating figure from below his hat, weary but visibly relieved, the tension in his shoulders easing away.

He turns back to find the boy speaking, clearly flustered and adorably pink. Koa flashes his brightest smile. "So... diplomatic?" the Dragoon offers, laughing. "Lots of practice. I find people respond better to charm than anger." Another playful wink.

The coffee stain has Koa wincing. "Oof, yeah, that's not coming out." He shakes his head sympathetically, then claps Jude on the back. "I'd offer you mine, but I doubt it'd fit. Don't worry - as a Dragoon, it's my solemn duty to ensure all visitors to Stormbreak are not just safe, but adequately clothed." He nods with mock-severity, a sparkle in his copper eyes.
Jude Quinn
Singer

Change author:
Jude

"Yes, diplomatic," he parrots back, grasping at the far more neutral word gratefully. Though he can't help the amused twitch of his lips as he is bestowed yet another wink. Frankly Jude doesn't even think he can wink without someone being concerned he's having a seizure, so it's unnecessarily impressive how easy Koa makes it look. "Do you give lessons? Because I'd be a very diligent student." He plainly lets his expression tell that he direly needs that sort of confidence, only to immediately go a bit pink at the implications. Jude may not be smooth in the least, but he is the son of Frey's demigoddess. He knows an innuendo when he hears it. It just sounds so much worse coming from his own mouth. "Oh gods, that sounded like the worst possible come-on. I'm so sorry."

Luckily, the charm Koa touts saves the day yet again. The man's shirt would undoubtedly not fit (which is a damn shame, though the thought makes Jude's neck burn) but something about the Dragoon's cheer makes Jude badly conceal a grin. "You sure you're not just trying to find an excuse to get off duty?" Normally Jude isn't bold enough to be playful, but with all the eyes off them and more room to think the man reminds Jude a bit of his best friend which makes it easier. He lets the question hang for a moment for proper drama before smiling shyly. "Even if you were, I'll be your scapegoat. I'd really appreciate the help."
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
Koa
Oh gods he's adorable. Koa tries and fails to stifle a laugh as the (very weak) innuendo is followed by a captivating blush, and man, the Dragoon really wants to reach out and pinch that crimson cheek. "Don't worry, I've had worse," he chuckles warmly, clearly unperturbed by the accidental flirtation.

Koa? Finding an excuse to slack off? Nooooo. His eyes grow wide with mock-indignation, a hand flying up to press his heart. "Why, it'd be more neglectful not to help you," he responds with playful earnestness. "Without me you might be forced to walk around shirtless, and we can't have that level of public indecency here. Everyone will be too busy admiring you to get anything done."

Relaxing out of his dramatic posture, Koa shoves his hands into his pockets and sets out in the direction of the shops. "Anyway, I doubt you need any help in the charm department," the Dragoon comments playfully as they walk, glancing sidelong to give the boy a solid (and appreciative) once-over. "You've got the whole gorgeous doe-eyed thing going for you. Just bat those eyelashes and people will come running. It certainly worked on me."
Jude Quinn
Singer

Change author:
Jude

Maybe it's the blood in his ears, but Jude can't help digging the hole a little deeper if it means Koa keeps laughing like that. "I'm not surprised you've heard enough to count something as worse; what with all your diplomacy." The teasing is only half as effective when his cheeks are so red, but it's easier than complimenting the man outright. Jude has no qualms with being a coward.

It seems Koa does, because he drops compliments as easily as he does his winks, and Jude is certain he's going to be causing a scene for passing out instead of any sort of public indecency. Swept along for the ride in a way not dissimilar to how he'd first met Sohalia, Jude can only laugh (and try to hide the slightly shrill sound in it from being flirted with) and shake his head in instinctive disagreement. "You say that, but I'm practically allergic to the sun. Nobody can admire me without getting blinded." Some people might like the ivory skin and beauty marks but in Torchline he's a bit of a sore thumb.

Falling into step with Koa is easy given their similar heights, but far harder on his poor heart. He's never been complimented so much in his life and Koa is managing to string them all together in the same breath? "Really? I thought it was your sense of duty since you seem so proud of it." That genetic sass is really making its way out now because the alternative is spluttering or actually accepting the compliment at face value. Sohalia is far too sweet for it usually so it's a refreshing change of pace. "But I'll take it under consideration." And this time he does try to wink, though it's adorably bad.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
Koa
It's adorably endearing, how easily Jude blushes, the way he gamely tosses the ball of flirtation back into Koa's court. The dragoon wasn't kidding: he finds himself thoroughly charmed by the unassuming lad, eager to see how much more color he can bring out on those pale cheeks. "Sounds like you need to work on your tan," he says mildly, flecks of copper mischief glittering in his eyes. "I hear there are spots near the Celestine great for nude sunbathing - maybe we can check them out. You'll definitely need sunscreen, but don't worry. I'll rub you down thoroughly." His lip twitches as he does his best to keep his face composed, trying to fake seriousness, as if he hasn't just offered to feel the boy up.

The playful accusation is met with a rolling shrug, Koa glancing sidelong at the shorter boy. "What can I say? You've inspired me to go above and beyond." And he's bored, and Jude is cute, and this is probably more productive than sleeping standing up. They're nearing the section of the market where the textile vendors work, and Koa stops when they reach a cross-street, giving the boy a chance to take a look around.

"I'm Koa, by the way." A large, calloused hand is extended in delayed greeting. There's a thin layer of gauze wrapped around his knuckles, hiding the bruising from last night's fight. Gesturing to the shops around them, Koa raises a brow. "Well? See anything you like?"
Jude Quinn
Singer

Change author:
Jude

Koa is far more forward in his flirtations than Jude could ever hope to be, confident in a way that Jude would be more envious of if he were not so distracted by the flirtation itself. A few minutes ago he would have been adamant that the man was merely charming, but after the last comment about sunscreen Jude is 99.9% certain he's being flirted with (which is admittedly a very new thing for Jude). Instead of working up a rebuttal that simply doesn't exist in his head amidst all the white noise, he merely splays his hand across his cherry-red face, some sort of gurgling sound muffled behind his palm. Clearly, he needs to work on his sass stamina.

"I've never been an inspiration before," he manages to squeeze out, hand dropping away to let the words come out clearer, "are the hours good? Any benefits?" It's a little easier to pick up the comebacks now that the textiles are beginning to surround them on all sides, plentifully distracting from handsome older boys and their forwardness.

Jude takes Koa's hand, taking in the wrapped knuckles and sword callouses as his own hand meets it - dainty in comparison; an artist's hands, with slim fingers and beauty marks, nearly dwarfed by Koa's as it's taken. "Jude. Good to know my savior's name finally," he laughs, tilting his chin towards a storefront clearly specializing in premade daily wear instead of custom orders. "I think just a plain shirt will do, or maybe a tanktop since somebody thinks I need a tan." Before he takes his hand back, he tugs on Koa's, pulling him along and out of the middle of the converged streets with a shy grin that has only the beginnings of mischief hiding in the corners. "Any color ideas?" As the chime of the bell announces their entrance, Jude steps out of the heat and takes a moment to appreciate the cooler state of the store before heading straight for the folded piles of tops.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
Koa
"Your own personal Dragoon, for starters." Koa winks (he's going to get a muscle cramp at this rate) and throws an arm over Jude's shoulders, shaking him gently before slipping away. Then there's introductions, Koa laughing merrily at the idea of being a savior, his bright eyes glittering with flattered fondness as he looks down upon Jude.

He's a little surprised when the younger boy doesn't release his hand, but what is he going to do? Pull away? No - he has a sworn duty, and so it is with pleased amusement that he follows his new friend into the store, his gaze taking in the fast fashion on offer.

"A tank top would be good," Koa muses, already wandering off to browse a nearby rack. He turns back holding a sea green top, made of soft linen. "Or maybe a button down - leave the top few open. Let people get a peak at what's underneath." His eyebrows wave suggestively, his gaze tracking boldly down Jude's slight form and back up.
Jude Quinn
Singer

Change author:
Jude

The genial touch-and-shake is at odds with the outright flirtation, and Jude feels like he inhaled some sort of airborne version of blushberry with how he feels hot to the touch and fuzzy-headed. So it's no surprise when he can't manage another comeback, clean out of any sass or comely responses. There's a good deal of static in its place though.

At least that static is a good distraction from the physical reaction Jude gets from quasi-holding Koa's hand, and the air conditioning in the shop helps cool the heat lingering in his cheeks. Enough to feel a bit more clear-headed by the time Koa holds up a shirt for inspection.

Inclined towards sensation over visuals, Jude touches the shirt gently and is pleased when the linen is soft despite its crosshatched appearance. Despite laughing at Koa's comment, clearly charmed, Jude shakes his head in a wave of dark curls and takes the seafoam green top out of his hands. "No, I think this is perfect. I like how it feels." Which shouldn't make him shy to say, but it undeniably does as his cheeks go right back to pink. Clearing his throat, he holds the shirt against his chest like a shield and motions towards the checkout. "I'm going to go buy this. But then maybe you can give me better directions to The Red Gardenia?" His hopeful tone makes it clear that while he does need directions - even if it means them parting - he mostly just wants to talk with the other young man a while longer.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
Koa
"I like how it looks," Koa agrees with a playful smirk, though he isn't looking at the seafoam shirt. Rather he's following the constellation of freckles and moles on Jude's flushed cheeks, copper eyes warm with the affection of a boy who crushes easily and has no qualms sharing the way he feels. It's been a surprisingly delightful afternoon, perusing shops with a new friend, and he's reluctant to let it end. If he could he would show the stranger more of his homeland, take him on a full romantic tour down the cobbled streets to the hidden vendors, tease more color onto that pale skin.

Alas, such is not their fate.

So he does his best to maintain an air of easy charm through the remainder of their time, touching Jude's arm when appropriate, sweeping a curl of auburn hair away from hazel eyes. He leads the boy to the crossroads near the cafe, but there their paths diverge. Smiling ruefully down at the Torcher and blissfully unaware that he is, in fact, flirting with his rival in love, Koa offers a small bow and a kiss to the boy's hand. "Here I must leave you. Look me up next time you're in town, yeah? There's plenty more I can show you."

A final wink and the soldier is gone, hands shoved deep into his pockets, a merry tuned whistled as he meanders back to work.

{fin}