super paradise i held on to

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Crow Offline
Change author:
MP: 225
i reach out to my lifeline, the angels laugh in paradise
At the moment, El is panicking, unable to hear anything outside the pounding of their own heart. They thrash around, free arm trying to strike the allogator anywhere they can. The pain in their other arm is overwhelming, however, and their strikes are weak.

In a flash, El feels intense heat beside them and sees before them a creature that looks like a wolf, but isn't a wolf, because it doesn't have fur. Its skin is dark and rough like stone, its eyes a glowing orange like molten rock. El doesn't know what it is, but it attacks the allogator head-on with a terrifying bite, and the allogator frees El's arm.

They jerk backwards, falling on their back, turning over and kicking their legs beneath them to run. They don't see Fox, but they know they have to get out of here, especially now that two monsters have shown up. Struggling to their feet, Eleftheria begins to run and gets up the bank but not much further. Their vision blurs; they can't even think for the pain that radiates from their right arm, overcoming them. In flashes, they are on their knees, then hands, then the ground, barely keeping conscious.
they say i am my own lifeline
ELEFTHERIA
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Age: 35 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
FOX

For Fox's part, he's a little busy, and as the creature releases Hawke and they (presumably) go running, the hunter is left to fend off an angry allogator alone. Snarling and snapping his jaws, the creature attempts a bite against his rocky armour plating, to little avail. With another guttural bark, Fox advances on the allogator, backing it up into the bloodied waters of the Oasis. It's a few moments more before he sees it ripple away back into the depths, giving Fox the opportunity to shift back.

He comes away with nothing more than what's going to be a juicy bruise on his right shoulder, but as he turns to look for Hawke, it's evident that they have not been so lucky. "Hey," he calls, grabbing for his bag and drawing up beside them to kneel. "Ah, fuck - that's a lot of blood." Inhaling through his mouth, Fox rummages in his pack and withdraws a thick roll of bandages.

"I'm just going to bandage this up quickly," he says. "Is that okay? Can you walk? We need to get out of here."
astra inclinant, sed non obligant
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
El can hear something, distant through the pain, and it sounds like a voice. They struggle to move their head and open their eyes to look and see Fox there, having come back from wherever he went. Well, at least he didn't abandon them completely. They are vaguely aware that he is asking questions, but they can't make sense of them at the moment.

"Yeah," is all they can bring themselves to say, breathing ragged and vision unfocused, hoping their response makes sense. They're trying their hardest not leave their body completely, because then Fox may very well have to carry them out of this place. With enormous effort, they turn over from their stomach to their back, arm protesting the entire time.

Using their uninjured arm, they hoist themselves into a sitting position, head still spinning, and all they see when they look down at their other arm is red. They shut their eyes quickly and turn away, bile rising up in the back of their throat. If it was broken, they would be unconscious by now, at the very least. They hadn't had to rip their arm away from the allogator, so it was likely that all the blood was just coming from puncture wounds.

"Shit! Fuck! Gods be fucking damned!" The cursing makes them feel marginally better and marginally more awake.
ELEFTHERIA
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Age: 35 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
FOX

"Preach," Fox says quietly, offering an apologetic smile at their cursing as he gets to work. It's a serviceable job, but he's no medic, and mainly he just wants to dress the wound to put some pressure on it and help the blood flow to stop. Tying off the bandage once he's done as best he can, the hunter lets out a shaky sigh and moves to Hawke's other side.

"We're a ways out from the town," he says, "but I know someone nearby who might be able to help. They've got healing magic. You can lean on me if you don't trust your footing." Providing they have no objection, Fox will try to help his (unbeknownst to him) fellow hunter to their feet.

And it's slower going than he'd like, but he does try to pick his way away from the Oasis, which has been anything but calm this afternoon. "Fucking 'gators," he hisses under his breath. "You aren't hurt anywhere else, right?"

Change author:
El moves in and out of bodily awareness as Fox dresses their arm, trying not to think about what just happened but failing quite miserably. At least they still had their bow... They wonder for a moment if getting it had been worth the injury to their arm, then they banish the thought immediately with shame. It's their father's bow; of course it was worth it.

They appreciated Fox's help with the bandage and getting to their feet; now that their arm wasn't bleeding profusely, they were starting to feel a tiny bit better. After a little bit of walking with Fox's help, El's pride is too wounded to continue this way, so they ease themself away from him and say,

"I think I can walk okay now, thanks. Who's this person with healing magic?" El was honestly just expecting a "good luck" from Fox and a rough time with some stitches tonight at their homestead, but apparently he still wants to help. After all this kindness from him, El feels bad that they've been so secretive. "No, besides my arm, I think I'm okay. That gator was one thing, but then that other creature showed up and I seriously thought I might not survive. I'm lucky it wasn't interested in me."
ELEFTHERIA
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Change author:
FOX

Releasing them with no resistance, Fox nevertheless watches for a few steps to ensure that Hawke is alright and not liable to topple back over. Only when he's satisfied does he let his shoulders relax, orientating himself properly to their route away from the Oasis. "Ah, they're just some hedge witch," he murmurs. "But I took care of some Memory Mud for 'em last Flowerbirth, so they owe me. Should be able to fix your arm up."

He offers them a smile that promptly fades away again as they make mention of the other creature, and Fox rubs at the back of his head and hums his agreement. "I think you'd have probably made it out alright," he says slowly. "Sorry if it startled you. I didn't have time to think before I shifted." The obvious implication being, of course, that he was said creature.

Change author:
At Fox's response, El hums and nods absentmindedly, then stops in their tracks after a moment of pondering what he just said. He said he shifted, so...does that mean...

"That was you?" El says, eyes wide. The only person they had ever known who could change forms was their grandmother, and she had been Attuned herself. But that was impossible for an Ascended... "How? What was that form? It looked like it was made of volcanic rock! You can just use it at will? Where do your clothes go? Can you turn into anything else?"

It is now that they realize they are asking too many questions, so they shut their mouth closed and turn away with an embarrassed expression. They make a point to keep walking and maintain a casual posture. It isn't as if El is scared of him now. Okay, maybe they are a little scared. But, more than anything, they are curious and interested in knowing about him now more than ever.
ELEFTHERIA
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Change author:
FOX

Giving a rough sort of nod to confirm that yes, the creature had been him, Fox is prepared for a number of potential responses - but not a flurry of questions, apparently. (Given the nature of his conversation with Hawke so far, though, maybe he should have expected it). His mouth opens to try and form an answer to one query only for another to spill out, and by the time Hawke is done - and very casually continuing on their way, he might add - the hunter's mind is spinning.

"Ancients can shift," he says slowly, once he's gotten his thoughts in order. "Or I can, at least. It's something called a Fyrhund - like a big, fiery, rock... dog." And it sounds incredibly lame when he describes it like that. "I guess my clothes just... shift as well, the same as an Attuned. But no, I can only turn into this." At the moment anyway - not that he's aware of that.

In the distance, a mossy roof peeks over a gentle rise, and Fox nods up ahead. "That's where the healer lives."

Change author:
He calls himself Ancient, and for a moment, Eleftheria is confused because he looks fairly young to them. Soon enough, they figure out that is what Ascendants are called now. They wonder idly why but is brought back to attention by Fox answering all their questions. He is very obliging in that respect, Eleftheria can now admit.

They can't help but chuckle a little at his description of his form. They would not have described the ferocious-looking Fyrhund in quite the same way. He could be quite awkward sometimes, but also kind in his actions, which El finds endearing. He does leave out one answer, though, and it is the how of the matter. They let it slide for now but make a note of it for later.

When he points out their destination, El supposes he would prefer to change the topic. They continue walking, perhaps with a little extra speed now, and are left to ponder. After a few minutes, they gasp quietly to themselves as they come to a revelation.

"You know, I bet that meat of yours is what attracted the allogator to us. So much for 'only when you allow it'." They giggle as they say it, voice lilted in a teasing manner, covering the bottom half of their face as if to hide their smile. After a moment, they realize Fox might take this in the wrong way and sobers their expression. "I mean, of course, I appreciate you helping me at all. Twice, even, counting the echo sharks. Once we get to the healer, you may go on your way if you wish. You've done too much for me already."

As they finished speaking, they noticed the light was changing as it approached sunset. They would likely have to walk back to the homestead in the dark by the time the healer finished. Perhaps, if the healer was kindly enough, they would lend El a bed for the night. Even a floor would be nice, so long as El was sheltered.
ELEFTHERIA
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Change author:
FOX

Laughter proves to be a surprising ice breaker for the moment, and Fox feels some of the tension in his shoulders start to melt away, shifting his grip on his bag and tucking his free hand in his pockets. "Well it is," he adds in amusement, reaffirming his opinion of the fyrhund that lurks in his bones, snug against his soul. And he should know, right? What with being one and all.

As for the meat, the hunter's brow furrows at that, and he feels himself wanting to get defensive, only to realise that Hawke is absolutely right. "Listen," he grumbles good-naturedly, "at least the echo sharks are gone from the Oasis now. We just might have to be careful of 'gators there instead." Gee, aren't the Grounds fun?

"I'll make sure you're in good hands with the healer first," he decides with a small smile in their direction. "Then I suppose I should keep going towards town."

So saying, they're soon upon the house, and Fox thumps at the door far too hard to be polite, it seems, until they are welcomed into the healer's hut by an old woman who is quite clearly a bit hard of hearing. Introductions are made (shouted, a little) and he gestures to Hawke's arm. The healer beckons them further inside where they can sit down; there's also an offer of tea and a bowl of stew for them both, which Fox politely accepts.

Change author:
Fox gives El a little smile, and they find themselves wondering if he ever smiles more than that. It doesn't quite reach his eyes, and this makes El a bit sad. He is kind to stay with El as they stop at the healer's hut, and as he says he will move on to town afterwards, El realizes the stark difference between them. There they are, injured, rescued by Fox, hoping the healer will allow them to stay the night. Meanwhile, Fox is completely at ease with the idea of walking alone in the dark back to town. And why should he feel otherwise? He's strong and smart and can turn into a big fiery rock dog, perfectly capable of defending himself.

That's what it is. Capability. Whereas El has none, Fox has it in abundance. They're jealous of this, but not in a way that makes them resent him. More than anything, they're frustrated with themself for not being stronger. Frustrated with the Gods for not choosing them. Ah well, it's a familiar feeling, one that Eleftheria is accustomed to sitting with and continuing on regardless.

The hedge witch offers tea and stew, which El accepts eagerly, nearly choking with the speed at which they eat. The stew is quite delicious, though their opinion is quite affected by their hunger at the moment. As the witch asks for their name, El hesitates. It feels wrong to hide things from an old woman, and El wants to show Fox that they trust him now.

"It's Eleftheria, ma'am. El for short. Eleftheria Hawke." They have to repeat themself several times before the woman understands them, and their ears get ruddy as they repeat their ugly, awkward first name over and over again. They do not meet Fox's gaze once they're done, afraid of seeing him upset.
ELEFTHERIA
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Change author:
FOX

Whilst not nearly as speedy as Hawke, it would be a lie to say that Fox dithers with his own meal. Once his bowl is empty and he's sipping at his tea, he's insisting to the old woman that he'll swing by the next time he's in the area to help fix a patch of her roof that's getting thin; not something to worry about just now, in Longheat, but it could become a problem as the seasons grow colder and wetter.

As for names and the giving of them, Fox is far from upset by the revelation - he's trying hard to hide his amusement behind his teacup, in fact, bobbing his eyebrows at El as if wondering whether this is why she hadn't introduced herself in full the first time. (He doesn't think her name is ugly, for the record, but he'd just as likely butcher it if he tried to pronounce it). Which is precisely why the old woman opts for El.

"I will leave you to it, then," he murmurs, rising to his feet and shrugging his bag over his shoulder. "Look after yourself," he tells El, though it applies to the hedge witch as well. "If you ever want anything hunted down, there's a board in the Inner Quarter where you can leave requests. Ask for me, if you need me."

Change author:
Fox stands, and El looks over at him. He looks unperturbed as he announces his departure. El smiles at him, unsure if they could ever bring themself to ask for help again after today but appreciating his sentiment nonetheless. They watch his back as he opens the door and shuts it closed behind him.

El sighs as he leaves, then looks over at the old woman to ask if she'll let them stay the night. She agrees, thankfully, and once El goes to bed, they are left thinking about echo sharks, allogators, and the strange but kind man they met today.

---FIN---
ELEFTHERIA