to try and float
For Edmund <3
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
"What a shame she's fucked in the head," they said.
The rain hadn't stopped. Wouldn't stop. She'd given up counting the days and wishing for sunshine. Maeve hadn't thought she missed the sun that much, but she'd been wrong. The constant deluge of rain reminded her of the monsoons and the many nights she'd spent alone.

Her arms tighten around her middle, squeezing her own waist in what was meant to be a comforting gesture. It fell short like it always did. Her own touch wasn't a stand in for human contact. Something she didn't have much of these days. The war had done a number on her, making her shy away from her once beloved home in Torchline and seek refuge elsewhere. Originally Halo had been on her mind, figuring it was far enough away that she could hide from anyone who might have words for the former queen, but when she reached out to Noah he'd suggested the Grounds. The demigod having gone so far as to find her an empty house on the very edges of the Domiciles, respecting her request for privacy and ensuring that no one knew she was there.

That hadn't included her children, of course. Edmund and Jude both being given her location when she decided to leave Torchline in favor of her health. Harper was aware, too. Not of her exact location, but that she had left. That it was for her health. He'd encouraged her to do so, knowing it was for the best, and only ever wanting her to be okay again.

She'd been here for a few seasons now. Almost a year and the Nightshade was better for it. Even if her progress was slow moving.

Maeve didn't jump at every sound now or have nightmares nearly as often. The stress of the war, leading, and her crumbling relationships further from her mind each day. Yes, she was doing better, but the loneliness was hard to keep at bay. Especially during the evenings when the rest of the world went quiet.

Aidon lifts his head from his clawed feet, orange eyes studying his bondmate as he gives a low trill, a comforting wave nudging against their shared connection. "I'm fine.." She murmurs, one of the first things she's said all day and she winces at the unfamiliarity of her voice. Her eyes flick to the clock, lips pressing in a thin line as it inches further past six thirty and unease begins to swirl in her belly.
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2895
The past few seasons had been a flurry of activity and emotions. Becoming an Ancient and all of its consequences. His quest, his guild, his family. His mum left and only kept contact with letters until they finally met up and talked everything through. She'd helped him process his new life and all of the trauma he'd endured recently. Things were better now that they were meeting once a week with the help of their matching pendants. But things could be better.

His mum is still hurting and seeing that is painful for Edmund. Maeve needs time to heal, time to relax. Time without expectations and responsibilities forced upon her. It's a relief that she is finally getting it, but recovery is a work in progress. A journey that Edmund is more than willing to support her on.

He arrives at her house, a few minutes past their usual meeting time. Knocking on the door so as not to startle her by bursting in, Edmund calls out, "Mum? It's me. I'm sorry I'm late. I got caught up in paperwork for the guild." He wants to yank the door open and rush in to hug her. But he fears the consequences of such a sudden movement. Splat hovers at his shoulder, debating eating the doorknob instead.

Edmund
Come dance in the shadows

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
He's barely half way through the sentence before the door is being yanked open, "Edmund." She tugs him inside with an arm around his shoulders, pulling him into a tight hug, unable to keep herself from squeezing him in close to a death grip. Maeve drops her head against his shoulder for a moment, making herself breathe, willing her stomach to unknot itself. "I was worried something had happened."

The Nightshade breathes, hating the slight tremble in her voice. It was all she could do to keep from crying. After what happened to him before, Maeve couldn't get past the fear that gripped her every time he left the safety of her home. She releases him, holding him at arms length and looking him over, a slight craze in her eyes as she takes him in from top to bottom. It didn't matter that he had nearly seven inches on her. He was still her baby.

Only once she's sure he isn't hurt, not a single scratch on him, does she finally relax. Her shoulders drop, a tension leaving her as she takes one more steadying breath. "How are you? Would you like some tea? Dinner?" Maeve asks, ushering him towards the table and urging him to sit down.
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Edmund practically folds himself into his mum's arms and returns the hug just as tightly, "I'm sorry, Mum. I'm ok. I promise." The tremble in her voice cracks his heart wide open, hating that he made her worry. He doesn't regret telling her the truth of what happened in the recent past, but he despises that it haunts her now. Yet if he had refrained, she would have inevitably found out another way. After everything that his mum has gone through, deception from him might have broken her.

The young Ancient does a little twist so that his mum can properly scan him for injuries. Even as she does so, his eyes trail across her form as well. Are the bags under her eyes worse or the same? She hasn't lost weight, has she? Thankfully nothing seems to be amiss.

"Tea would be wonderful. Thank you, Mum." Reaching into his coat pocket he pulls out a single sunflower and holds it out to her before he sits at the table, "I saw this on the way here. Do you have a vase?" The flowers had looked so cheerful as he walked past. Edmund had been helpless to do anything but pick one and try to bring some of that cheer to his mum.

Edmund

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
There are few things in the world of Caido that truly ground her. Having her son in her arms is one of them. Despite his new height and horns, Edmund doesn't hesitate to make himself smaller in her hold, curling around her protectively as he squeezes her back just as tightly. "Okay... You know I worry." An understatement. She did much more than worry, but Edmund already knew that.

The worry is put to bed as he allows her the opprotunity to look him over. He does the same to her. Checking to make sure she didn't look any worse for wear. Despite her delicate condition, the Nightshade doesn't seem to be on a downward trajectory. A win these days. Her typical pale parlor is exacerbated by the lack of sunlight in the Grounds, but she's no thinner and the smudges under her eyes no darker that usual.

"Of course, ma petite étoile." The term of endearment she's had for him since he was a babe slipping past her lips easily. She's about to turn away to put the kettle when he produces the sunflower, causing her to stop short. Maeve's jade gaze widens and she smiles, a light that rarely occurs these days filling her eyes as she takes the flower from him carefully. "Oh its so lovely... Thank you." Pressing a kiss to his cheek, the Nightshade finds a vase, filling it with water and placing the stem inside before setting it on the table.

Aidon takes the opprotunity to come nudge at Edmund's hand now that he's seated, demanding attention from the boy with a loud trill, huffing a puff of smoke in his direction. Maeve busies herself with the tea and making a small dinner despite the fact that he didn't ask for one. "How are you doing? Traveling a lot still?" It was one of the safe topics they discussed, choosing to stay away from things like politics and conflict. "How's your brother? Have you visited him at all lately. He hasn't responded to my most recent letter..."{/day}
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Edmund smiles at the nickname even as he internally winces. The term is bittersweet. A monicker of his innocent childhood but a harsh reminder of how Safrin failed them. How she continues to fail.

But now isn't the time for his brooding. Not when his mum is finally smiling. The young Ancient leans into the kiss on his cheek, turning to kiss his mum's cheek as she pulls away to get the vase, "You're welcome, Mum. I'm glad you like it." With a glance at the room, he decides that he needs to get her more flowers. Maybe some paintings. The house desperately needs color and more light.

Edmund laughs as Aidon makes his presence known, "Hey, Aidon. It's good to see you." The fire beneath his skin surges closer to the surface in response to the dragon's presence, warming him from within. Splat slips from the shadows and circles the dragon's head, rippling in greeting. It had taken much effort on the Ancient's part but Splat finally saw Aidon as a friend and not food.

"I'm doing well. The guild was commissioned to investigate a crater in King's End, so I've spent a good bit of time there this season." Downplaying the severity of the disturbance is a must. Edmund doesn't wish to give his mum any added stress. "It was rather fun. Do you remember Soleil? She's part of my guild." A slight flush stains his cheeks, "She's a good friend." Her lust for life was infectious and Edmund found himself having fun whenever she was around.

The mention of Jude makes Edmund sigh, "I haven't had a chance to see him this season, but we've mostly kept in contact. I don't know if he's responded to my last letter or not as I've yet to receive anything from Torchline yet this week." Usually, some manner of report or guild-related news made its way to him at least once a week.

Edmund

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Whether he had negative feelings about Safrin or not, Maeve would never stop calling him that. He had been her star. The thing that guided her day after day. She wouldn't ever be able to see him another way besides her little star.

"I love it." She replies, stroking a finger over the petals before returning to the task at hand. The Nightshade used to love gardening, often spending hours upon hours in the garden of the Court of Stars. She puts together a small plate of sandwiches, tea cakes, and other delights. Placing it on the table, she goes about fixing the tea, pouring him a cup before she did the same for herself.

Aidon's nose tips up towards the creature, blowing a puff of smoke at him before ducking his head back down and slipping beneath the table. Was he trying to play tag? Hard to tell.

"Of course I remember her. I did raise her and Luka for almost a year." Not to mention all the time they spent together afterwards. Maeve keeps from arching a brow as she takes in the flush on her son's cheeks, smiling knowingly as she makes herself a small plate. "A good friend, huh? I'm happy to hear that. You need people in your life that you can rely on."

The former queen fights back her own sigh, feeling that familiar swirl of worry in her gut that often came up whenever her boys were involved. "I figured I would ask... I've missed him terribly."
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Splat floats after the dragon, bobbing in the air haphazardly. Edmund takes his cup of tea and takes a sip, a smile growing on his face. "It's delicious. Thank you, Mum." He begins to fill his plate as she speaks, nodding along, "She's very kind." The sunny woman had quickly become someone that the young Ancient trusted. She was such a genuine and down to Caido person. Her joy and lust for life was infectious.

Edmund reached out and gripped his Mum's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. "He'll be ok, Mum. Don't worry. I'm sure we'll hear from him soon." If not, the Ancient would come knocking on his door.

"What about you, Mum? How have you been?"

Edmund

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Knowing better than to nose at the blob of a creature, Aidon resists the urge to follow him and instead moves to sit beside Maeve, resting his large head in her lap like an oversized puppy. "You're welcome, dearest." The Nightshade murmurs, giving him a soft smile before she takes a delicate bite from one of the sandwiches on her plate. Her free hand rubs along his ridged snout, relaxing with his weight in her lap as she met her son's gaze. "I'm glad you've found someone to spend time with."

Maeve smiles softly in response to his reassurance, "I'm sure he will... I just worry." About both of them. She couldn't help it. They were her most precious creations. She couldn't imagine what she would do if something happened to either of them.

His question is gentle. The same one he asks her every time he comes to see her. The same quiet concern coloring his gaze. Maeve meets his eyes once more, "I've been alright... I'm thinking of maybe moving to King's End. It's fairly removed from everything. It could be a good place to restart." Or Halo, but then he wouldn't be able to come see her anymore.
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Edmund closely observed his mum's body language as she responded, searching for any hints of her exaggerating her well-being. He relaxed when her words rang true, smiling softly in return. "I'm happy to hear that." She deserved nothing but peace after everything that she'd been through.

The Ancient paused in surprise, his tail freezing mid-swing and his sandwich placed onto the plate in front of him. "You're leaving Torchline?" It's hard to picture his Mum anywhere else but the image of her surrounded by the quiet greenery of King's End seems fitting. After a moment he nodded, "King's End sounds like a great place for a fresh start. If you decide that that's what you want, I can help you pack and move." If there's any way that he can make the transition easier, he'll do it.

Edmund