[se] weather sweater
open!
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 28 - Int:
PIPSQUEAK - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: shark Online
Change author:
MP: 2580
So tired trying to see from behind the red in my eyes
No better version of me I could pretend to be tonight
"Yes, I still want it. I, yes, I see the holes, they're actually why I want it- god stuff, y'know? Definitely not a trick, sir, on my honor. I know, I won't-- okay. Okay, thank you! Frey's ass!"

This last bit Koa mutters under his breath as he ducks out of the stall. The young man's done a lot of shopping in his time, but those expeditions usually involved shopkeepers trying to convince him to purchase mediocre wares- not, y'know, the other way around. Now as he leaves the small thrift store the Dragoon feels as though he ought to have been given a medal: but no, his only prize is a moth-eaten sweater, hard won and tucked beneath his arm.

Having accomplished his primary objective, Koa is now at something of a loss. He ought to get a gift for Noe, but the very thought of his sister back in Stormbreak sends sharp knives down the Dragoon's throat. Not to mention that this place is almost impossible to navigate, with its stalls and shops strung between ships. Ah, but a Dragoon is always prepared, and out from Koa's pocket comes a crumpled map.

Leaning on the rail as he puzzles through the hand-drawn etchings, Koa's brow furrows in concentration as he tries to make sense of the absolute nonsense. It doesn't help that he has it upside-down.

At least he's pretty, right?
Koa
No other version of me I would rather be tonight
And, Lord, she found me just in time
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 45 - Dext: 47 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 54 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5720
"Hey, Koa!" The surprised voice belonged to a man with dark, shaggy hair and pale eyes peering out from a face weathered brown by sun and wind. He was accompanied by a big burly glacier of a dragon who padded along with a rolling, self-satisfied gait as she licked her muzzle clean from the snack she had just cadged from soft-hearted visitor to their shores.

Tal just gave her a faintly exasperated air before changing direction to head towards the dragoon, stepping with distracted lightness over the mish mash of boardwalk and floating pontoons that connected the various ship-shops floating in the harbor. He reached the handsome devil after just a few hops and skips around other shoppers and one belligerent goat that was tied up beside a pontoon. "What're you doin' all th'way up here? Haven't seen you in a dragon's age," he added as Boreal sat down primly beside the two men and looked up at Koa imploringly, seeking some sign of a fuzzy winged noodle on the dragoon's person. "How've y'been?"
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
The sound of his name has Koa shooting upright, alarm a flare on his handsome face. It twists to cheerful recognition as he realizes who's calling, but the young man can't shake his nagging displeasure at how jumpy he's become. "Oh, hey Tal!" Waving with his not-map-holding hand, he watches with an expression of unabashed impressedness as the courier skillfully navigates the skiffs and buoys, demonstrating a familiarity Koa can only dream about.

"Shopping." Koa shrugs the shoulder under which his package is tucked securely tucked, reaching with the other one to skritch Boreal's nose. "Pip's back on shore - she kept trying to grab fish off the boats, and almost drowning us both," is the explanation for his own dragon's absence, spoken in the fondly exasperated tone of any tired parent. "I'm sure she'll be glad to see you, though. Both of you," he adds, turning his bright smile back to Tal. "Busy season for deliveries, I imagine?"

And yes, he's avoided saying much about his own recent goings on. He wouldn't know where to start explaining, and honestly, sometimes it's nicer to pretend that everything is fine.
Hawthorn Mercer
Courtesan

Age: 23 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 1 - Strg: 9 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 6492
// the only heaven i'll be sent to —
It’s a busy day on the docks, it seems, because Thorn travels idly between stalls as well – intrigued by a little commotion next to the stall he’s currently in, scouting out some new silver chain jewelry to add to his ever growing list of adornments. But it’s Tal’s familiar voice that has him actually poking his head out of the stall, collecting and paying for the items, stepping out as he’s reaching up to take one of the silver hoops out of his ears, tattoos glinting in the light. “Hey Tal, Boreal.” He greets them, joining the little group as he notices the handsome stranger that the courier is talking to.

Slipping the hoop into the little cloth bag, he fishes out the dangly ones, slipping it in easily as he flashes Koa one of his usual roguish grins – the same he’d greeted Tal with often enough. “Oh! An' who might you be?” He asks, clearly giving Koa a good look up and down before his seafoam gaze flickers toward Tal with amusement and curiosity. “I don’t mean to interrupt, but I heard ya talkin’ so I had to see what the excitement was about.” Gesturing to Koa, Thorn seems to suggest that the Dragoon is the excitement going on (and perhaps the rumbling he'd heard in the stall next door) which was certainly enough for the courtesan.

He's supposed to be out meeting new people anyway. A little promise he'd made to himself and stuck with, actually thanks to Talyson's help previously.
thorn
— is when i'm alone with you //
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
In the absence of Pip to play with Boreal deigned to accept nose scritches from Koa, bumping her head up against his hip gently with a happy grumble. Her human breathed a quiet sigh of relief that the two dragons weren't about to be unleashed on the floating market like a second scaly cataclysm whose mischief was exponentially increased by being together. "Well, we can let 'em play later once we're away from th'Exchange." He gave the Dragoon a lopsided grin of shared exasperated affection for their companions, who always seemed more adept at finding trouble than avoiding it.

"An' it sure is! More'n most, for some reason. I'm lucky t'be in my own bed one day a week right now." Tal might have tried to press his handsome dragon-pal on his own activities, but probably to Koa's relief an equally handsome man appeared from a nearby shop-boat and the courier's pale eyes brightened in recognition.

"Thorn! Doin' some shoppin' t'day, too?" Well, duh, the exchanging of new jewelry pretty much answered the question before he'd finished asking, but the courtesan's obvious once-over of the Dragoon had Tal clearing his throat with a sudden bout of self-conscious awareness that he was suddenly the odd man out between the two beauties. "Nah, you're not interruptin'. S'good t'see you again," he added as gallantly as he could manage under the circumstances. Circumstances which involved a faint heat rising up the back of his neck as he looked between Koa and Thorn and then desperately sought solace from the dazzling pair by looking down at his feet. "Uh. Thorn, this's Koa. Koa, Thorn."
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
"Far away," Koa agrees with a laugh, shaking his behatted head. "I don't know about Boreal, but Pip goes absolutely  feral in winter. Which goes against all laws of nature, because reptile, but if there's one thing I've learned about dragons it's that they don't give a single flying fuck about rules." He gesticulates enthusiastically as he speaks, haggard face lighting up at what is clearly one of his favorite topics.

I miss my bed, Koa's about to say, but the arrival of a third man distracts him from the thought. Koa's spent enough time at Molly's to recognize when someone works in service, be it hands on or not, and the way that Thorn carries himself screams I know how to use my body.  Eyebrows raise above a smirk as the man gives a clear once-over, Koa falling into the exchange with practiced ease.

Shoving off the pontoon's railing, he extends a hand to Thorn. "Pleasure," he smiles, all calm professionalism from the nose down. But his eyes tell a different story, glittering mischievously as he turns back to a now-flushed Tal. "Tal here was just showing me around the Exchange." He slings an arm around the courier's shoulders, flashing both men a brilliant grin. "He's an excellent guide, don't you think?"

That's right, fools: we've grossly misunderstood this situation,  but it's too late to back out now. Wingman!Koa is activated. Good luck turning him off.
Koa
Hawthorn Mercer
Courtesan

Age: 23 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Yeah.” Thorn says with a soft little snort. “Wanted to get some new earrings.” And he succeeded, as evident by the silver pieces he puts in his ears, before his attention is snagged by his curiosity with the handsome drink of water, introduced easily. Koa’s hand is offered and Thorn takes it with an easy shake, not too hard (he’s not exactly the manual labor type). His hand is soft in comparison to the dragoons, and slides out of his hand with a practiced grace that seems to suggest his hands are better used elsewhere. “Pretty sure the pleasure’s mine.” Thorn offers with that same bright grin, catlike and playful in its quality.

Watching as he slinks his arm around Tal’s shoulders, and seeing just how flushed the courier is, Thorn also misreads the situation, his head bobbing in agreement (causing the dangling earrings to bounce with the movement). “He is.” He flashes the Messenger a smirk. “Was gonna show me around on the Peregrine one of these days.” He shifts his weight a little, resting on the opposite hip for the moment as he looks between the two.

In the mean time, we made a road together not that long ago, didn’t we? ” His seafoam gaze lingers on the Messenger, head tilting slightly with the question.
thorn
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"'S there any season those two aren't feral?" Tal asked rhetorically, but he said it with a grin. As much trouble as their dragons got them into, he wouldn't trade his scaly treat-cadger for the world.

Said treat-cadger, upon realizing that Koa had no nibbles to impart, had abandoned him to go lean against Thorn, surreptitiously nosing at his pockets while she did so. Introductions were made all around and for a moment Tal wondered if he should excuse himself for his own shopping errand before he became an unneeded third wheel--

When a lean, strong arm was suddenly slung around his shoulders and he jumped a little, gaze coming up reflexively as the conversation took a turn for the oh shit are these compliments?? and the courier's flush only deepened as he looked between Koa and Thorn, confused and flustered. "I... um. Thanks?" He hazarded at the Dragoon before looking to the courtesan with an apologetic duck of his head. "Still am," he hurriedly protested. "Shit's been busy this season but, yeah... anytime y'want a ride, just lemme know."

Were there ways to misinterpret his words? There sure were! Luckily the road was brought up and the courier relaxed a little beneath Koa's arm, a little more confident in where he stood on that as he flashed Thorn a small grin. "Yeah! An' thanks for that. Once th'weather warms up again we'll have t'work on th'next stretch through Mourn an'Meadowreach."

Which brought up a good question...

"How long're you in King's End for?" he asked curiously, turning back to Koa as he cautiously got used to the casual physical contact.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
"Sounds like quite the adventure," Koa chimes in, Cheshire grin widening as he looks between the two men. "And an honor. I can't say he's ever offered to take me aboard." He shakes Tal gently at this comment, trying to look only slightly put-out. Maybe he's a little jealous, having not received an invite of his own to tour the world via skyboat- but then, he's not the one Tal is (he assumes) trying to impress, so he suppose it makes some sense. Gesturing upward with his free hand, he adds a wistful: "Hard to imagine a better date spot than sailing through the clouds."

And now we wait for the next round of who's gonna misinterpret what?

Blissfully unaware of how his wingmaning has gone sideways, Koa nonetheless raises a slightly incredulous eyebrow at the information that the most memorable experience the pair has shared is, apparently, building a road. C'mon, Tal, get your game together.

Dislodging his arm from around the Courier, the handsome Dragoon rolls his shoulders in a shrug. "Just passing through. Wanted to drop in on Sunjata, pick up some gifts. Y'know." The wind whistles casually behind them as he fixes Thorn with a charmingly innocent look. "What about you? Shopping for anyone special this year?" A certain Messenger, perhaps?
Koa
Hawthorn Mercer
Courtesan

Change author:
Confusion flares in Thorn’s face as Koa tries even harder, even as Tal between them flushes red, and with the hurried protest Thorn shakes his head a little – because he’s not that worried about it. Tal will show him around whenever he gets the chance, Thorn’s just along for the ride at this point. And he’s not going to impose, not when he can find other things to do in the meantime – like work and visiting Stormbreak now that it won’t kill him to do so. “’Course.” Thorn offers instead, flashing him an easier smile.

Nodding – because he’s certainly willing to help with he rest of the roadwork, even if he hoped not to encounter any more smoke or bugs again for a while, Thorn feels a little stronger for having the work put his muscles to the test.

But those thoughts die in a second as Koa mentions the date spot, and Thorn’s lips twist in a positively feral grin of amusement, shaking his head as he allows Koa to answer the question of how long he’d be in the area for, before shaking his head again. “Oh, no. Tal’s already got a girl.” He’d built a house for them and everything, and ignored every advance that Thorn had tried to make when they’d first met.

Which, promptly lands Thorn’s gaze on Koa now in more of a devouring way.
thorn
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
He didn't know Koa well, but he knew him well enough to figure out that the Dragoon was only mostly joking, and Tal huffed a theatrical sigh. "I didn't know y'wanted one!" he protested, gently elbowing the other man, though a grin kept ruining his attempt at a scowl. "Uh... but if y'want t'bring a date along, th'Peregrine's too small." The admission was more honestly apologetic, though the courier wasn't interested in being a gondolier in someone else's love story either. So maybe that bug was actually a feature. "Sorry..."

Freed from Koa's arm and assured by Thorn that he hadn't hurt the courtesan's feelings by not taking him along for a trip sooner, Tal almost started to relax. Then Thorn made a point of mentioning Alys - well, not by name, but close enough - and the courier blinked, looking from Koa to the courtesan with the puzzled head tilt of a dog being asked to do math. What did Alys have to do with anything? "Yeah. We've both been pretty busy so I haven't seen 'er much lately," he admitted, his good cheer becoming a little forced as a glum expression dimmed his grin. "I was hopin' t'pick somethin' up for her today, actually."
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
Yep, you sure read that one wrong. Turns out Tal may not be the most obtuse young man here, because while the flirtatious teasing has gone over the Courier's head, it's based on a situation Koa is now realizing he's entirely made up.

Luckily (or unfortunately, personal growth wise) he's too distracted by this new revelation to be properly chagrined, instead turning to Talyson with risen brows. "Wait, really?" He doesn't know exactly why Tal having a girlfriend is surprising, or why he thinks he ought to have known about it before. It's not like they're all that close, really.

Still.

Of course the mood dampens with Talyson's demeanor, trouble in paradise being something Koa knows somehow both a lot and very little about. Again he reaches for the Messenger's shoulders, squeezing gently at the base of his neck, beneath the scruffy hair. "Well, sounds like we have our task laid out," the Dragoon declares, glancing back at Thorn with an invitational look. "Find your girl the best gift ever, so she'll come running back to your arms." Still a wingman, that's our Koa, just with a new target.

"Thorn here looks like he's got exceptional taste," the young man adds with half a smirk, free to up the charm a notch now that he knows Tal isn't pining for the courtesan. "Care to lead the way? I have absolute faith in your abilities." The lilting way the sentence ends leaves room to interpret just what abilities are meant.
Koa
Hawthorn Mercer
Courtesan

Change author:
Yeah really!” Thorn says, even as the understanding dawns that there’s been some disconnect between them as of late. And rather than offer up his services if Tal needed to blow off any steam, he can get behind the opportunity that Koa points out — that and it draws the courtesan closer into the dragoon’s space with an all too innocent look.

Oh I do.” He says with all the cocky arrogance of his job, smirking slightly before he shakes out of it to start to guide them back toward the stall he’d just left. “Cal, here, makes incredible jewelry. Maybe she’d like a necklace or somethin? Maybe a bracelet?” He’s never met Alys to be able tell, but the space had a lot of jewelry options that he doesn’t know whether or not would fall under Tal’s girl’s wishlist.

But he’s amenable to getting a different vibe should Tal say anything.
thorn
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
The courier wasn't sure how he felt about Koa's surprise, but he flashed Thorn a flicker of a shy grin as the courtesan had his back. The next thing he knew, he was being squeezed again with a sort of physical familiarity that he was entirely unused to amongst his friends.

His guy friends, at least.

It was... it was actually pretty nice?? Weird, but... in a good way. Different than the rambunctious rivalry that underscored his frenemyship with Sah, or the mentor/student relationship he had with Noah. The courier relaxed as he realized that the guys weren't setting him up for a joke. They were supporting him, and he straightened up under their regard - though he still reached up to rub the back of his neck, blushing for slightly different reasons as he followed Thorn into the jewelry stall.

"Thanks," he mumbled, awkward but sincere as he glanced between his two wingmen with pale eyes full of gratitude before he turned his attention to the wares on display - the jewelry, at least. "Somethin' like this'd be perfect for Alys," he assured the courtesan as he looked around at the assembled pendants, bracelets, earrings, brooches, rings, armlets, and bangles. "Which ones d'you guys like?" Because when in doubt, polling the audience was allowed, right?