Training at the altar of my ego
Maea
the Maverick
Theocrat of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 35 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 20 - Int:
MOIRA - Regular - Crow
Played by: Honey Online
Change author:
MP: 1881
my peace has always depended on all the ashes in my wake
I fight dirty for free, Danta had said.

Let me know when and where, and I'll be there, Maea had replied.

And so he does.

Leaving a note for the Ambassador where he's sure she'll find it, Danta has hijacked a spacious area at the back of the Temple for the purposes of their training - in Deepfrost one couldn't pay him to be outside in the snow, even if the movement of their bodies will likely keep them from starting to turn to stone.

As a result, the Maverick is still wearing layers, but isn't quite as bundled up as he might be, and it's in a thick grey sweater and a pair of supple leather gloves that he awaits his fellow Ancient. One might expect him to be stretching or warming up, but no - Maea will find Danta in front of one of the roaring fireplaces, having no intention of leaving its cradle of warmth until he has to.
the maverick
Horns: Diamond - they look very similar to #2 in this image.
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 24 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 23 - Int:
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1847
Maea
And I never know what to say
'Til I'm already walking away
She was continually surprised that the Maverick kept to his word. Something about him had her reluctant to place too much trust in him, but at this rate Maea couldn't help herself. When she found the note she pushed all her plans up and made her way to the Temple, smiling to herself at the excitement that started up within. Never would she have thought the day would come where she was happy to be called on - though, admittedly, she would probably be thrilled to spar with anyone, not just Danta.

She didn't really look ready for exercise. Dark skirts whispered around her legs as she entered the hall and approached the tall blond, the coat worn loosely over her shoulders as the short trek from the Atheneum wasn't worth the effort of buttoning it properly. She had braided her hair, for once, and pulled it over a shoulder. It didn't quite manage to conceal a nasty bruise on her neck, flaring like purple lightning or tree roots from a pair of puncture wounds. It was healing, if slowly, but the dark circles under her eyes suggested she hadn't had the best quality of sleep for a while.

"Are you alright? Feeling a bit cold?" she asked upon reaching Danta. The way he hugged the fireplace made her hope the quest to create that portal to the Climb would be a short and easily accomplished one -  and then they would have to pry him away from the lava pools to get anything at all done.
Wanna punch you in the face
But I won't, but I might, but I won't
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Maverick

Age: 35 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
MOIRA - Regular - Crow
Change author:
"Something like that," Danta says with a crooked smile over his shoulder at Maea as she approaches, the Maverick flexing his gloved hands against the flames dancing within the fireplace. And let it never be said that there aren't a few braincells floating around in his mind, and that they don't occasionally collide with ideas, because by approaching him, Maea is exactly where he wants her.

Turning slightly towards the other Ancient, it's with a long leg sweeping out that he attempts to take her feet from beneath her entirely, hands raised in loose fists and his smile as dark and devilish as any who was born and bred in the Climb. It doesn't matter, of course, whether he's successful (though that would be a plus) - it's just an easy way to let the games begin.
the maverick
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
He caught her off guard. Having expected a chat or some terms laid down before they started, the leg swipe that greeted her did its intended job and knocked Maea's legs clean out from under her. Down she went, landing with a huff of strained breath and no small amount of humiliation.

The friendly expression vanished completely from her face. Letting a burst of fire erupt towards his face - harmless, alas, but hopefully distracting - she rolled away and got to her feet, grateful to Ronin for suggesting the slits in her skirt that gave her more range of movement. They did their job wonderfully, and left her free to aim a high kick towards her oh so glorious leader's chest. While he probably was benevolent and worthy and all that, he was also dirt cheap in her eyes at the moment.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Maverick

MOIRA - Regular - Crow
Change author:
Dazzled by the fire even if he's unharmed by it, Danta can't even say he minds the distraction, because you know, he really had been a little cold as he waited for Maea, all things considered. It does exactly what she hopes, though, and the Maverick is still blinking through the spots dancing before his eyes when her kick plants right into his chest, sending him skidding backwards.

"Fuck, you pack a punch for such a little one," he wheezes as he collides with a (thankfully unlit) candelabra, hands on his knees as he fights past being winded. Still, he knows better than to try to take too much of a break, and so before Maea can decide to press the attack, he springs forward to try and tackle her across the flagstones.
the maverick
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Change author:
Maea
The satisfaction in making him wince was short lived. It soothed her injured pride as far as being taken by surprise went, settling her ruffled feathers enough to earn him a tense smile for the comment. Unfortunately it didn't help her dodge in time when Danta launched himself at her. He had reach on his side, and those unnecessarily long limbs, and with a hiss Maea went down for a second time, this time with all of that on top and preventing her from getting back up in a hurry.

"Shit, you're that desperate for a hug?" Gasping for the breath he'd knocked out of her lungs, she drove a knee towards whatever part of him that happened to be closest - there was a lot of persuading to be done if he wanted skinship from her.
the Maverick

MOIRA - Regular - Crow
Change author:
"Don't flatter yourself," Danta snarks back as he finds himself successful in his attempt to get Maea on the ground. If he'd had his way, he'd have used his size to his advantage and pin her down before coaxing some of the fire from the fireplace to use.

Alas, before he can do such a thing, her knee catches him right in what he presumes is one of his kidneys - either way, it's enough to earn a grunt of pain and have him rolling away to regroup.

Shaking himself off and getting to his knees, Danta grabs some soot from the hearth and flings it towards his opponent. An attempt to blind and distract, much as Maea had done to him, he doesn't wait for the outcome, already darting back and waiting for her next move.
the maverick
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Change author:
Maea
That stung. Hiding some very real pain behind a tight grin, her dry chuckle followed Danta as he rolled away from her unfriendly knee. "But if I can't, who will? You?" There was a tone of scepticism in her voice, that suggested she didn't expect him to do any such thing.

Getting to her feet as well, she dodged just in time to avoid getting soot in her eyes. When Danta came charging back in the met him by ducking below his reach and seinging her leg oit with the same sweeping kick he had started this off with, hoping to take him down.

Her breath was starting to quicken, but aside from some bruising of the shoulders after eating the floor she felt good; it surprised her that she was doing so well. In most other spars she had been forced to surrender by now.
the Maverick

MOIRA - Regular - Crow
Change author:
"Only if you ask nicely," Danta fires back; unlike his opponent, his snark comes automatically and only ever cuts skin deep. Besides, he's already interested in whatever she plans to do next - or at least he is until she dives in and does it. Small but remarkably strong, is how the Maverick will describe Maea in the future, because he doesn't expect the sweep of her leg to actually be able to take his own out from beneath him.

Not that he plans to go down without a fight; on his way to the flagstones he snatches out a hand to try and catch her wrist, her hip, her gown - whatever bit of Maea he can get hold of - in order to pull her down with him. May as well keep eating the floor; no sense in ruining a good thing after all, right?
the maverick
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Change author:
Maea
Down he went, and she would have called out 'Timber'! if quick hands hadn't sucked hold of her arm and hip and brought her down for a third time. There was much to learn from all of this. As far as agility went they seemed evenly matched. Danta liked the floor far more than Maea did. And while she had gotten a few good blows in, it really was the floor that had done the most damage to her - which really wasn't a lot. Did that mean she actually had the upper hand in strength?

Eager to test that theory, she braced against Danta's grip and put her full power into slowly pushing him away. "Make me - if you can." The thrill that went through her at the challenge - at the potential of losing - had her eyes darken. For a moment she wasn't sure which outcome she hoped for more.
the Maverick

MOIRA - Regular - Crow
Change author:
"Oh?" Danta grins, though Maea might find herself disappointed in their little strength contest, if for no other reason than it just isn't the Maverick's preferred way of fighting. Still, he indulges the impromptu wrestling match for a few moments, until it becomes clear that if he doesn't move, Maea is going to move him.

Rolling away using the momentum afforded to him by the pale woman's actions, Danta rolls on the stone and pauses on his knees, offering a fanged grin and holding his hands up to placate her. "I'll give it to you," he pants, "you'd do well in an ambush." There's clearly no hard feelings for whatever has just taken place, and Danta gets slowly to his feet to stretch.

"Maybe we should organise a tournament among the Ancients."
the maverick
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Change author:
Maea
It was disappointing, indeed. Yet it was that very disappointment that really troubled her. When Danta rolled away and raised his hands, she gave up on pursuing any more and pushed herself up to sit, a little out of breath but no worse off than she would have been from a sprint. Taking a moment to tug her hair back in place, it took her a moment to respond - it wasn't just the strenuous activity that had made her warm under the collar. And she wasn't happy about it.

"You're not too shabby yourself," she murmured, brushing lint off her dress. "If you want to make it a habit... I wouldn't mind." She liked sparring. Liked moving her body, and testing her limits. It was worrying to find herself able to overpower someone, but it also had an aftertaste that reminded of satisfaction.

Maybe that was why she'd gotten so excited? Yes. That had to be it. Surely that was all it was.

Disentangling herself from the skirts, she got to her feet. Testing whether she was able to look at the Maverick without blushing, she found it at least half-possible. As long as she didn't try to hold his gaze for too long. "Mh, I would enjoy it," she admitted, making the dusting off her clothes into an excuse to look away. "Not to mention, it would bode ill for all of us if I'm our first line of defense." The very idea was laughable.
the Maverick

MOIRA - Regular - Crow
Change author:
"A habit of sneaking up on me to beat me up?" Danta tilts his head at Maea, grinning (not that it had happened at all like that today). "How ever could I say no to something like that?"

Returning to his place before the fire and adjusting his sweater and gloves so he might reach out to warm his hands without catching alight, at least the movement and the adrenaline has chased away whatever chill was beginning to settle in his bones. Now, limbered up and feeling pleased with himself, Danta soaks up all the heat the fire has to offer.

"Oh, hush. You do yourself a disservice," he drawls, of Maea's worries about being their defence, whether it's first or last. "A lot of us aren't long woken up." Meaning himself and Asta, anyway. "We're still getting back on our feet. It's good to have someone around who knows how to throw a punch - and take one too."

Or a kick, as it may be.
the maverick
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Change author:
Maea
Despite herself, she couldn't help but laugh at the thought of ambushing Danta in some dark corridor. Not because it was far fetched - given half a chance she really might do it - but rather because... well, because she never thought she would ever again find herself among people that allowed such things, even in jest. Being spontaneous, and a little weird, and having fun. She had forgotten what that was like.

Shuffling after Danta, the younger ancient stuck her hands out towards the fire and let it lick her hands. "I know. It just feels strange. I spent half my life in a sickbed, barely surviving. And the rest of the time I've been adjusting to new bodies. First ascended, now this - I really hope you two catch up to your old strength soon because I'm not sure I'll be any use in a pinch." She tapped a finger to her temple, even as she offered Danta a lopsided smile. "I haven't caught up to myself here. And I don't know how to get out of the mindset that I'm no good for anything."