will you hold me when the curtains close?
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
- NATE -
there's a great unknown from you to me
& when your prayer's unheard and you don't believe
Relief courses through Nate at the quiet agreement, the promise that Clem won't go poking where he doesn't need to. It drowns out the suspicion that maybe, this was too easy of a conversation, too quick of an agreement. He can't lose more family though, can't have it be because of his failure to do something, again. Can't have it happen to Clem especially.

There's more pressing issues to focus on though, more immediate worries to latch onto. Nate has lived through Longnight in the Grounds, barely, and he wants to say something about that first, but he's frozen by the eyes that peer up at him, the second half of the statement. "For good for good?" His voice is soft, knowing this is a big decision. A big step for Clemente, a line that Nate's never tried to force, knowing how much that independence can be worth. To have the open offer accepted though?

It has a smile breaking across Nate's face, even before the answer is given. "You're family Clem. You'll always have a place with me, with us, for as long as you want it." He hopes the distinction is clear, between this kind of family, and the greater ascended Family. He hopes his love is clear, his own trauma set aside to quietly celebrate this moment.

If only Nate could leave it there, could end on the high note of Clem staying, filling the room he had with life, with pieces of him until it's not merely a gesture, but a home, a place to grow and be protected. If only it was happening sooner than after Longnight, a week made longer by all that it contained within it, ceaseless night tricking the mind into thinking this was forever now.

It's where he'd first met Clemente, where he'd first taught the boy to whittle, nothing but a little knife and some murmured words between them, Nate falling asleep where he sat, waking only to offer encouragement and tips. It was not where he wanted anyone to be during the darkness though. He wants to insist the younger ascended stay here, with them. He already has the room. They're already prepared. It simply makes the most sense. But something stops him.

Perhaps it was the realization that he's been harsh before, with his first request. Perhaps it was the fact that Clem had so quickly agreed, no argument, no complaints. And his conditions come over the younger's whisper, Nate not noticing the sound. "If... If you're going to be safe about it. Get there early, don't go near the doors. Stay close to Rex, alright?" There's a little huff of humourless laughter, because even if the Queen hates him, he can trust that they agree on at least one thing, he can trust that she'll keep Clem safe.

"You tell Rex I'll have words for her if you get so much as a splinter, okay? I mean it." Nate tries to pull a commanding voice, his doctors sternness, but the trick doesn't quite land properly, comes off more stressed, more worried than anything else. There's so much that can go wrong, but he wants to, he does trust the other to be safe.
so put your faith in the devil and the deep blue sea
put your trust in the light that you cannot see

Messages In This Thread
RE: will you hold me when the curtains close? - by Nate - 06-22-2020, 01:52 AM