fragile creatures on collision with our judgement days
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
"I don't think all Ascended should be killed," Juniper acknowledged. That was easy enough for her to say. But as for the rest ... Juniper bit her lip, thinking of how much easier this conversation would be if Wessex were Fae. Not in a big way, not because their entire conflict would be different if Wessex were Fae, but because Fae could not lie, and outsiders could. She kept having to remind herself that Wessex could lie -- not just mislead and omit, but outright lie. And this seemed like the moment for a lie, for an obfuscation: telling Juniper that her part of the bargain would be harmless, would only protect the Grounds, when it might actually have much further-reaching consequences.

Juniper did consider it, for a long moment. She would never betray her people, but the Order weren't Fae; deceiving them wasn't quite the same, especially if they truly sought the Ascended's total destruction -- but Juniper had only Wessex's word to trust on that too. Although Gideon had spoken against the Ascended in awfully harsh terms ...

It was still more of a betrayal than she could stomach. And something about Wessex's offer felt wrong to her. The Wraith submitting herself alone to any punishment the Fae desired -- as if she expected to be tortured, as if torturing her would make the Fae feel better -- did not strike Juniper as justice.

"I'm sorry," Juniper said, sincerely. Then she decided to be totally frank, even at her own disadvantage: "The truth is, I don't have enough information about the Order to make these promises. If I knew beyond a doubt that the only outcome of my actions would be to protect the Grounds ... I hope it's not insulting to say that I can't act on your word alone."

She hesitated. Should she offer to get more information and return to Wessex? Or would quietly evaluating the Order on Wessex's behalf compromise her too much? No, she decided, she wouldn't make that offer. But if she learned more about the Order -- if they told her in their own words that they sought the destruction of all Ascended, even the innocent -- well, her conscience might demand that she act. And she could always write to Wessex.
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark

Messages In This Thread
RE: fragile creatures on collision with our judgement days - by Juniper - 12-19-2020, 06:15 PM