Personal Quest Solid Foundations
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 23 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
It was difficult to say if this was going well or not. For all that the tone was hard and their confusion obvious, they were still talking which was a step in the right direction. The intended direction.

Maea let them speak, listening carefully to each argument, who they addressed, what tone they used, all in an effort to figure out how this would end. Evie seemed happy with snarking at Roana and Sam, but did not appear opposed to the Council or her own spot in it. As expected, the allure of importance, real or perceived, had done the trick and drawn her in. Her childhood friend had not changed; good. Roana seemed positive to the whole idea, questioning neither Maea or her intentions; good. Sam... his concerns had more to do with his own abilities and suitability. Given time and a moment alone to explain things properly Maea thought she might be able to assuage his fears, but right now was not the time.

An unknown variable entered; Maea offered a welcoming smile at Vai, and didn't interrupt as the woman showed every intention of being here to stay. It was somewhat unexpected but it did work in Maea's favor; the balance between Outlander and Natural was still weighed in the Naturals favor but wasn't quite as skewed anymore. The womans presence was as calming and mature as Jigano's too, so all in all she was as good a replacement as the albino could hope to find. Good.

But then... Rory spoke. And each word was heavy, sharp, fell like strokes of a lash against skin that Maea found much too tender. No mercy. All her flaws were laid bare, every unpleasant, painful truth that she had labored under since the first understood what it meant to be different. Freak, Abandoned, feeeloader, weak...

She did not object, because she knew it was true. But there was one thing in all of it that her racing thoughts latched on to, one horrible, heavy realization that made her stomach drop to the floor.

Oh gods. He didn't know? He hadn't heard? News usually did travel fast, but there had been so much else going on. She had been busy, everyone had been busy...

"Rory..."

She nearly choked on her own voice, hated to break it here, now, like this. But she couldn't stand to keep him in the dark any longer either.

"My brother is dead."

Just like that, she cut her own heart open again. It had only been a few weeks, and she had kept herself busy, refused to dwell on it, thought of everything except this single, awful truth. The empty house, the unkempt garden, the shaggy sheep in need of shearing, her own avoidance of it that had her run off to the Atheneum every chance she got. All to avoid facing the truth, the ugly reality that repeated itself in a mad whisper through her mind.

Alone. Alone, alone, alonealonealone.

Abandoned and alone.

"You are not nearly so alone as you think."

Except she wasn't, just as Ludo had said. Maea was not alone, nor was any of the souls that dwelled beneath the dome. They were here, right in front of her eyes, bickering like siblings over who was older and who ought to decide over the other. It was petty and childish and caused wounds on both sides, and Maea understood. She could, because she was different. Born a Natural, yet never truly one of them. She lived there, toiled and cried and grieved... Yet she might as well be an Outlander in their eyes. Rory certainly saw her as one.

"My family is gone. All I have left is you."

She absently wiped away a tear from the cheek, and met Rory's gaze. Eyes full of pain, she still looked at him, unashamed of all the things he accused her of being. He was not wrong, but he missed the rest. The everything else that actually mattered.

"And you." She turned towards Evie, caught her blue gaze and held it. Gods, how she used to hate those pretty eyes...

"And you." This time to Sam.

And again, to Roana, and to Vervaine.

"You are all I have now. You, and the people out there. I don't really care whether you were born in the Hollow or arrived a week ago. You are here, now, alive and breathing. It's more than I can say of my family."

Pain. Like stepping barefooton broken glass.

"I care about you though. And I care about them, out there; everyone who has found themselves here in this cage. I want to do what I can to keep them alive. If the barrier falls. Even if it doesn't. We need this Council to keep from tearing ourselves to pieces, and I need you for this to work. Just like everyone in this place needs evrryone else to get by.

So will you help? Not for me, but for them."

There would be time for details later, to make concrete plans and hand out chores. This house... It needed repair, yes, but more crucial than doors or a roof that didn't leak was the people inside it. Would they be able to mend this rift tthat threatened the peace within the Hollow? Could they be repaired, just like this house?

All she needed was a yes and Maea would try. It would be enough to make her vision a reality. Enough for one hand to reach out in good faith, and for one other to take it.

This was the option she offered, one they could accept or reject out of their own free will.

Everything else could come after that.
MAEA
just a glimpse of truth
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦

Messages In This Thread
Solid Foundations - by Maea - 03-19-2019, 03:47 PM
RE: Solid Foundations - by Evie - 03-19-2019, 03:52 PM
RE: Solid Foundations - by Roana - 03-19-2019, 04:08 PM
RE: Solid Foundations - by Samuel - 03-19-2019, 04:12 PM
RE: Solid Foundations - by Rory - 03-20-2019, 04:58 PM
RE: Solid Foundations - by Maea - 03-22-2019, 03:04 PM
RE: Solid Foundations - by Samuel - 03-22-2019, 10:13 PM
RE: Solid Foundations - by Evie - 03-23-2019, 02:33 AM
RE: Solid Foundations - by Roana - 03-24-2019, 06:40 PM
RE: Solid Foundations - by Vervain - 03-25-2019, 07:33 PM
RE: Solid Foundations - by Rory - 03-28-2019, 11:09 AM