The Woods are Just Trees
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5720
”I suspect the narrative will be that the Naturals were excluded from making choices for their own land and home,” he said, voice dry. ”And that Outlanders did without much thought or care for consequences. But whether Ronin and his raiders made bad choices? That’s a question for philosophers, I suppose,” he answered, a touch of his wry humor surfacing. ”Does intention outweigh result and consequence of your actions?” He held up a finger again to forestall immediate reply. ”I’m not asking this because I expect a specific answer, Phoebe. These are questions that philosophers debate endlessly, and while some people choose one side or the other – or some combination – there is not, to my knowledge, a universally recognized ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answer.” He tilted his head at her kindly. ”But that is the reason not everyone may agree with you on what Ronin and the others chose. Did he intend to cause chaos? Perhaps not. But when I asked him to consider the consequences of his attack being successful and the barrier coming down, he couldn’t answer – didn’t even want to think about it. So, yes, I am biased, because he went forward willfully blind and avoiding consideration of what his choices might unleash, or who might be hurt in the process. And those who followed him did the same.” He hesitated and then offered a wry nod of acknowledgment.

”And, yes, I have not had good interactions with most of the team that attacked the demon. Ronin, ironically, being the one exception,” he admitted. ”But I am also only human. If any man or woman tells you that they are completely unbiased – be wary. It’s not impossible, but it is unlikely, especially in a community as relatively small as this one.” The brow arched as he looked at her with a faint smile playing at his lips. ”And you are skilled, and well-liked, and well-connected because you know so many of those who came from Northhaven. So. The difference is that I have learned and trained to speak with the expectation that I will be listened to,” he said gently, ”and that makes people assume I am worth listening to. Confidence lends a strange sort of authority, even if you are only faking it.” As he had done for a very long time, before the act became reality at some point when he hadn’t quite realized it.

He listened to her wallow deeper and deeper into her self-pity, and when she had finished he reached out to tap a gentle finger to her forehead to get her to look up at him instead of down at the ground. ”Bullshit,” he said succinctly. ”If… hmm. Let’s say, if Sam or Remi came to you saying those things, what advice would you give them?” Because gods knew he’d dealt with similar statements from the two boys, and Phoebe seemed determined to give them a run for their money!

He listened gravely to what she had to say about her family, and understood that they lived in a dangerous situation. He nodded sympathetically, but held Isuma close and tried to soothe her distress. ”So you mourn them,” he said quietly. ”As Rory mourns his mother. As Amalia mourns her mother and grandmother. As Emmett mourns his family. And as the Naturals knew that they would be mourning friends among whoever attacked the demon. Are you mad at them for being tired of losing friends? For being angry at having their wishes ignored and more people they care for slaughtered, in spite of all their warnings?” he asked, his questions still gentle but not without purpose.

Messages In This Thread
The Woods are Just Trees - by Jigano - 03-25-2019, 04:48 PM
RE: The Woods are Just Trees - by Phoebe - 03-31-2019, 02:59 PM
RE: The Woods are Just Trees - by Jigano - 03-31-2019, 06:43 PM
RE: The Woods are Just Trees - by Phoebe - 03-31-2019, 07:03 PM
RE: The Woods are Just Trees - by Jigano - 03-31-2019, 10:45 PM
RE: The Woods are Just Trees - by Phoebe - 03-31-2019, 10:53 PM
RE: The Woods are Just Trees - by Jigano - 04-01-2019, 12:29 AM
RE: The Woods are Just Trees - by Phoebe - 04-01-2019, 03:54 PM
RE: The Woods are Just Trees - by Jigano - 04-01-2019, 04:42 PM
RE: The Woods are Just Trees - by Phoebe - 04-01-2019, 05:39 PM
RE: The Woods are Just Trees - by Jigano - 04-01-2019, 08:47 PM