Training Lightning and Blades
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ZARIAH
I don't give a damn 'bout my bad reputation
Training was like breathing for the Launceleyns. They started young, almost as soon as they could walk. As they grew, it became their entire world; day in, day out, working until your strength was entirely spent, leaving you naught but a trembling mass of bone and blood and flesh on the ground. Did anyone carry you then? No. You had to draw strength from your soul, the iron of your person to stand and retreat to rest for but a few hours then begin again. It was why they were revered and feared - Launceleyns were the ultimate, the pinnacle of magical strength and superiority.

And through training, they would prove themselves to be the same in Caido.

The Woodlands seemed a good place for such training. It was secluded, quiet, away from the Settlement and the spying eyes of those within. There were plenty of places to disappear into if need be as well. That meant they could really focus. Zariah arrived early, dressed in an overlong, sleeveless tunic and leggings, her wild curls pulled up into a ponytail. Today she awaited their newest member, Peter, who showed significant promise. But it was time to see how well he could hold up under real power.
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
Peter had, admittedly, fallen out of the habit of training since arriving in Caido. It would be nice to get back into the habit, his days long and chaotic without the comfort of a routine, and his limbs restless without something to work at.

He arrived in the woods ready, his usual layers traded away for a simple long sleeved shirt, some leggings, and gloves. There was the glint of a blade on each hip; small, light things, good for distance but not much else. Zariah was already waiting, Peter rushing to close the last of the distance between them. He stopped short and hesitated a moment before bowing his head. He had been taught to speak only when spoken to, and that was a practice he put into place now, straightening up and waiting for her to tell him what he was going to be doing.
Peter
try, try your
whole life
to be righteous
and good
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah watched quietly as he approached, an approving smirk curving her lips when he waited for her to speak first. It was a sign of respect, but more importantly submission, to her authority. ”Peter.” she said quietly, giving him ample space to greet her in return. This would be no ordinary training session. Peter was new, and trained by non-Launceleyns. Though he exhibited potential in his mannerisms, it was time to see just where his strength of magic lay.

”It is time to test your abilities and see just how powerful you are. I hope you do not disappoint me.” she said a little snidely, tilting her head slightly to the side as she merely observed his reaction. ”Do all that you can to maim me. Do not give in until you no longer have energy or you succeed.” she said.
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
”Good morning, Z-Zariah.” Peter bowed again, properly this time, and tried to gloss over the way his tongue tripped over her name. It was never more than anything, he was unused to referring to a superior by a name instead of a title, but she hadn’t given him one to use for her.

The tone of her instructions, as well as the words themselves, had him straightening, trying to be seen as perfectly as he could. He would not disappoint. Her instructions would prove a challenge though, Peter had seen enough of her skill to know getting close would be near impossible, and he was most skilled at close quarters combat.

Peter slipped out and of his soldiers stance and into one more combat ready as soon as the family head stopped speaking, a blade appearing ready in his hand. He stepped forward, wanting to close the distance before she had a chance to whittle him down. One of the knives from his hips was thrown before him, a distraction more than a genuine effort to harm her as he tried to get closer,
Peter
try, try your
whole life
to be righteous
and good
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Her eyes narrowed and lips curved slightly down at the corners as he made his first move. Something he had done, whatever it was, had made her clearly displeased. She made sure that point was driven home naught but a second later.

A lightning bolt shot out of the sky and hit the blade as it flew, knocking it just off course enough to completely miss her. In the instant after he would feel his energy sucked from him, the air feeling more like molasses as he tried to move his legs forward. "Do not insult me but attacking me like a common barbarian. Use magic." she snapped, showing him her temper for the first time.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
The anger in Zariah’s voice and in her face was as potent as any physical harm she could cause, if not more. Even the ache of his suddenly leaden muscles didn’t compare. Peter changed his angle of attack, moving to the side and skirting around instead of trying to approach her head on.

Peter wasn’t sure how fine the line was between his magic and his common attacks, but he needed to change his strategy. His feet slowed, a hand moving and his eyes flicking upwards, betraying the weighted net that had appeared and was falling onto Zariah, but not the snare that appeared looped around her ankle, ready to be pulled taut when she moved. Peter had no illusions about either trap holding her long, but all he needed was a moment to dart in and lay a hand on her.
Peter
try, try your
whole life
to be righteous
and good
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah followed his gaze, eyes turning up to see a net falling down over her. That's more like it. At least he was conjuring his weapons now. She made to run out from under it but a sudden tug caught her ankle, pulling her feet out from under her. Her eyes widened as she was pulled to the ground, but she reacted quickly, rolling in the direction of the snare, the net just barely missing her.

Thing fingers were quick to work on the snare, clawing at the rope around her ankle. Knowing Peter was surely trying to close distance she formed an electric cage around herself to stave him off whilst she removed the snare. Only once she was standing again did the barrier fall. But it didn't just dissipate, it exploded outwards in all directions, to catch Peter wherever he was.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
A slight smile came to Peters lips, he was glad his ruse had worked and dropped Zariah to the ground. With the family head distracted, he closed the distance between them quickly, so much so that he nearly ran into the wall of lightning she had conjured. Peter took a step back, knowing he didn’t have long before Zariah was free.

The lightning exploding outward caught him off guard, his first reaction to conjure a metal bar and drive it into the ground, an attempt to give the brunt of the shock something than his body to move through. Peter could still feel the pain in his teeth, his mind fighting against twitching extremities as he pushed himself forward again. Nothing short of total incapacitation was going to stop him from fulfilling his goal. His hand closed around the grounded pipe, the residual energy in it numbing his arm as he pulled it free and swung it toward Zariah, another feint so he could crouch and grab the net that she had avoided before and swinging it up like a whip, trying to entangle some part of her.
Peter
try, try your
whole life
to be righteous
and good
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Hm. He was more clever than she thought she realized upon seeing the grounded metal rod. Like any good conjurer, he understood the properties of physical objects and how they interacted with the world around them. But conjuration alone would never be enough to bring down Zariah.

Instead of dodging the rod as he swung at her, she grabbed it, using her slightly superior strength to hold onto it. Immediately she sent electricity coursing through it and into his hand - again, not enough to kill him but certaikly severely incapacitate with the conducive properties of the metal between them. She caught the movement of the net from the corner of her eye, pulling her limbs tight to her body. The net whacked her, which did not feel pleasant, but had nothing to gain purchase on.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Zariah grabbing the pipe as he swung it surprised Peter, but not as much as the lightning surging down into the metal did. It was solely because of the scant protection of the gloves he wore that Peter didn’t drop his knees, though he did have to clamp his teeth together to keep from biting off his tongue.

Instead of letting go of the source of his pain, Peter pulled, using the leverage of Zariah’s height to try and pull her off balance, and towards him. He did drop down on a knee then, letting go of the pipe now, his body fighting against what he was trying to do. A blade appeared, not in his hands, his fingers wouldn’t be able to hold anything as they were, but I rapped around his hand. This was his last chance, his body at its limit. His hand surged up, trying to drive the blade into her torso.
Peter
try, try your
whole life
to be righteous
and good
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Peter was fast, Zariah would give him that, but not fast enough. Her eyes caught the glint of the blade as it appeared wrapped around his hand. Before he could get far enough forward, she cut off the flow of her electricity and kicked him square in the chest, sending him onto his back with a hard thud. As he landed, lightning chains formed around his wrists and ankles, and unless he wished for the shock of his life, he would be smart to stay put.

Zariah dropped the metal rod and stepped forward, looking down at Peter with an expressionless gaze. ”You lose.” she said, almost boredly. Once it was clear he was not going to retaliate, the electric chains disappeared. ”You need to learn a more offensive magic. I expect you to start on that immediately.” she noted, crossing her arms. ”But for a conjurer you did alright. Practice more.”