Memories
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary
Age: 33 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 1
Played by: Sassmeister Offline
Change author:
Posts: 116
MP:
#15
Eli
"Ah... right, doesn't sound so complicated." he said as they began the trek back, though how long you had to dry it was another question he had, though he didn't bother to even ask it, as well... it wouldn't be of too much use to him. He quietly adjusted the bundle on his shoulder, making it just that little bit more comfortable. He wondered how long it would though; He thought about it for a moment before concluding it couldn't be any longer than the end of winter, it had perhaps started getting a little cooler, he was fairly certain of that, but surely it couldn't get as cold as some places he'd been to, where the entire ground, the water, was iced over, with a think blanket of snow. he shook his head and sighed, trudging along the path with her.

"Alright Mel, where are we going exactly? Do you have a place- and mrm, well... been here for a few weeks now. Not too sure what the names are, but I don't think it matters if I know or not at the minute." he said, sneering a little at the thought of having to figure all this out again like he was a child, just now starting to figure the world out. "Want me to take that other bundle off you?" He was skeptical that she was managing all that well, it looked like she was hugging the thing as opposed to carrying it, it didn't exactly look comfortable from his angle, that was for certain.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." - If you want peace, prepare for war.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!
Reply

Age: 23 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander
Level: 1 - Strg: 6 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 10
Played by: kore Offline
Change author:
Posts: 74
MP:
#16
It wasn't comfortable, but it was working - Mel adjusted it up on her hip and shook her head as she veered away from him, as though he meant to snatch the thing from her. Though it certainly would have been a load off of her shoulders she wasn't about to give up flax. Whether making a valid point or simply being obtuse, she persisted, puffing softly. "I'm fine, why, are you getting tired?" Breathless as her voice sounded, Mel's bluff was easy to call. This was harder than she had expected it to be and she regretted everything. "It's not far, sorry if you can't keep up."

It wasn't far - Mel didn't like the more central ruins, though many outliers appeared to have massive failures in their structural integrity. She had found (by fortune or bad luck she wasn't yet certain) what appeared to have once been a small stable or barn built of stone and wood. The roof had been plucked largely clean of shingles by time and elements, worn through in places all the way through to show the rafters like the ribs of some massive corpse. Outside in the small yard adjoining the stable the troughs stood full of water, rocks poking up from half of them, presumably holding an earlier haul. "See? Told you. Wasn't far-" Panting she heaved the flax down to the ground near where the gate must have once stood to the yard, a single stone post surviving, though the top half and its partner on the other side of the road had been scattered long ago. Mel leaned heavily into the pillar, eyes fluttering shut as she concentrated on the sweet sweet feeling of near victory - she was certainly glad that this unpredictable stray hadn't bitten her yet, knowing full well she'd never had arrived with her haul without help.

Gulping, eyes shut she waved blindly toward the trough. "Over there is fine - I'll fix it later, you've done enough, Mister Monnrow."
Reply
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary
Age: 33 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 1
Played by: Sassmeister Offline
Change author:
Posts: 116
MP:
#17
Eli
"Yeah- sure I'm the one getting tired." Tired? Ridiculous, she was the one that looked like she was about to collapse under the weight of the bundle, let alone carry on for a while with it in her arms. He grunted a laugh, giving a shake of his head as they continued to wander back to where ever it was she was taking him. Finally they arrived at what Eli could only describe as the grottiest looking place he'd ever come across, he wasn't exactly sure what this building at been, had it housed some kind of animal? He sneered a little as he looked around, it wasn't much to look at sure, but it was shelter, and any sort of shelter was better than no shelter at all. "Cosy." he simply said, lashings of bitter sarcasm lacing the word as he slowly looked around, flax bundle still on his back.

He frowned, eyeing her over as she lent against one of the pillars, looking as if she'd just run two marathons back to back, he smirked just that little bit as she told him where to put the bundle, giving yet another shake of his head at the way she was coolly offering him thanks, he doubted she'd have made it here if she'd had to carry back two full bundles. "Yeah, yeah... don't mention it." he replied, just as coolly, shrugging off the thanks.

He eyed her again, there was quite the difference in build, from the large, surly man and the small, lithe twig woman, though he realised that he'd be waiting around until he died if waiting for something a little less cool, he scowled at her for a moment, his displeasure pushing on his features for a moment before he dropped the bundle in the specified location before he slowly started exploring her dwelling, wandering over to one of the many stalls, eyeing the door, a hand reaching out to push it open to see what lay within.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." - If you want peace, prepare for war.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!
Reply

Age: 23 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander
Level: 1 - Strg: 6 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 10
Played by: kore Offline
Change author:
Posts: 74
MP:
#18
As the witch recovered from her exploits, Eli's exploration drew him into former stable. Inside it was dark and musty as to be expected, the failures in the roof allowing light inside. The floor was constructed of packed dirt, covered recently in dry plant matter to make navigation more easy as there was no helping the holes in the roof and the mud they invited in.

The stalls numbered four, facing one another down a dark hallway littered with shards of late day light, though the ground here was largely muck and appeared untouched - Mel's boot prints did not appear here, nor were there any signs of human feet - despite taking up a majority of the building she appeared not to venture to this part of the building.

The hinges of the stall door must have only just been holding on by the fragilest of threads, screaming outward with a crack of failing, rotten wood and shearing iron before collapsing onto the floor and into the wooden wall behind it with a crash - inside patches of wooden planks shown through the dirt. The stalls were roomy and had once been quite comfortable for their occupants, few as they were, yet there were no signs that the scene had been disturbed. Empty save dirt and debris of the roof coming apart, there appeared to be little of interest.

From outside the doorway, the witch cleared her throat. She hadn't followed him down the hallway, lingering outside of it as though somehow a wild animal had wandered into her house and she were afraid to go near it. "Mister Monnrow." Her voice rang with disapproval, her shoulder leaning heavily into the wooden wall. Did everyone here just wander wherever they liked? Had they not heard of privacy? Boundaries? Personal property? "Would you like a drink?"
Reply
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary
Age: 33 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 1
Played by: Sassmeister Offline
Change author:
Posts: 116
MP:
#19
Eli
Something felt off about this place, Eli couldn't quite put his finger on it, perhaps it was the the apparent lack of any sort of human life, former or present, the sounds of the outside world seemingly softened, almost disappearing, the wood creaking as the wind blew through the building like a banshee's shriek, or perhaps it was the oppressive air, the stagnant musk that pushed down onto you, making you feel restricted, isolated; whatever it was, Eli didn't like it.

Crash! The stall door fell over as he gave it a small push, the wood giving way as he recoiled back suddenly, hand automatically reaching around, as if moving to take his knife from its leather holder; his hand curled around the hilt and he readied himself for an invisible foe, his eyes narrowed dangerously, teeth clenched, but nothing came. Almost as quickly as he'd reacted he straightened up, brushing himself off with a tense snarl. Damn thing; he gave the now broken door a swift kick, sending softened splinters of rotten wood flying to the floor. He turned suddenly as Mel appeared, hands curling into fists though they relaxed as soon as he recognised whom the shadow was.

"Damn it- what?! A drink... yes, water will do." The words were annoyed at first, irritated as his tenseness pushed it way through them, yet he exhaled, shaking his head. "Appreciate the offer Mel." he said, slowly making his way out to join her, looking over his shoulder one final time, exhaling with unease.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." - If you want peace, prepare for war.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!
Reply

Age: 23 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander
Level: 1 - Strg: 6 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 10
Played by: kore Offline
Change author:
Posts: 74
MP:
#20
Mel's gaze darted to his fists, and then his face, a flicker of emotion ruining an otherwise flawless mask of neutrality, an audible click of a swallow interrupting the silence that had been let to grow following his snarled response.

The stable smells of shit, but not the familiar animal reek of manure, but the reek of blood and bile and waste accompanying disembowelment.

"You shouldn't be over there." She spoke just moments after his bid of gratitude, folding her arms across her chest. "It's dangerous." Soft with distraction her voice rang hollowly down the hall as she turned and passed behind a wall only to appear at the top of the wall, shrouded in shadows. In the hayloft overlooking the entrance of the stable she had constructed something of a nest, a makeshift bed nestled into the corner concealed at first glance by a low wall.

The roof here has remained whole and her "den" sheltered from the elements. Nestled in among her things was a small ledge stacked with goods including three wide, shallow clay cups and a small metal pot. Stacking the cups inside the pot, she collected the items along with a small corked jar and a slim wooden box into a satchel. Pulling it over her head and shoulder she fixed the hat on her head and stood, moving to lean on the half wall, peering down at him. "There's a bucket and a pump outside that functions around the other end of the building - did you have water pumps where you're from? I can show you how it works."
Reply
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary
Age: 33 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 1
Played by: Sassmeister Offline
Change author:
Posts: 116
MP:
#21
Eli
"Mrm... fair enough." he replied, having no idea if she meant it was dangerous because of how the stable seemed to be on the edge of collapse or for something of a more sinister reason. He frowned, not dwelling on it for long before he found himself standing with her at her little nest type shelter, he exhaled, looking around at the various objects and items she had squirreled away in here, giving a shake of his head and a small grin, it reminded him quite a bit of military foxholes, OP's and other such jargon he'd become accustomed to over the years. He eyed her, impressed by her ability to improvise, adapt and overcome, for such a small, clearly educated woman, she seemed quite resourceful.

Blinking he raised a brow. "Yeah- we had water pumps, most used by the fire service though." having no idea if she even knew what a fire service and its concept were. "Hold on then." He gave her a small nod and turned, moving outside to find the bucket and pump, to which he positioned the bucket under the pump and gave it a few good goes before water finally spurted out the end, filling it up within a few moments as well as collecting some in a cupped hand and sipping it down quickly; he sniffed, now picking up the full bucket and journeyed back to her den, placing it down. "Here." he said simply, folding his arms again as he moved to look around her little den while she was busy.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." - If you want peace, prepare for war.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!
Reply

Age: 23 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander
Level: 1 - Strg: 6 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 10
Played by: kore Offline
Change author:
Posts: 74
MP:
#22
Mel nodded simply as he turned to leave, climbing down from the hayloft, stepping outside to the yard where from the stones had been constructed a small fire pit, collecting and layering dry wood stacked beneath the eaves against the stone lower walls of the stable at the nearest corner. She bent, pulling from the satchel the slim box, producing dry fiber and a chip of flint shaped like an axe head half as broad as her palm. Striking a spark to the kindling she fed in under the wood, gently fanning it to life before settling back on her heels, putting the satchel aside.

She had managed to at least get her bundle near to his before she'd been interrupted by the bang, it appeared, though she showed no further interest in the task at the moment - she was tired, she worn and she wanted more than anything to simply relax. By the time he returned she had managed to encourage a comfortable little fire. His obsession with invading her space, though it felt wildly threatening to the paranoid, secretive woman, did not stir her to acts of territorial aggression, but rather calm curiosity, the low fire crackled and warmed her fingers from the chill in the LeafChange breeze. Picking up the pot she set the stacked cups aside along with the small corked jar atop the satchel, rising to reenter the stable.

In the time it took her to cross the yard, were Eli to climb the short ladder up he might have found the conversion from hayloft to home, though rudimentary in some cases, was neat and orderly. In the furthest corner she had lain out a makeshift bed, a small ledge where the wall turned from stone to wood stacked with a wooden pendant of two fish encircling one another, an eye patch, a box of candles and a small hygiene kit containing a comb, a chewing stick and several small pots of remedies she had gather, traded for or cobbled together, along with a small, palm-sized mirror. At the end of the bed on a makeshift desk lay the middling stages of a project to construct what looked like a lantern along with a shallow tray of light beige paper and a small pot of ink along with several cut-reed pen carefully balanced against a wooden rest. A pool of hardened wax anchored the partially melted remains of a candle to the desk, and all around stood stacks of notes, diagrams and even a few books.

Along the half-wall she had lined up a collection of goods ranging from food (preserved forage, dry grain, beans) to cloth to collections of materials such as nails and good pieces of wood in a crate all their own. On the back wall and rafters she had fixed bundles of drying herbs and plants, including strings of small onions, scarcely larger than his thumb gently swooping overhead and bristling strings of drying fruit. Edible... probably.

"Oh, yes. Please come in." She stood at the entrance, holding the pot full of water near her waist. "Can I help you find anything?"
Reply
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary
Age: 33 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 1
Played by: Sassmeister Offline
Change author:
Posts: 116
MP:
#23
Eli
Eli had almost made it  p to the hayloft, a single step away from climbing up the ladder completely into it, he blinked looking back down to her as he frowned. "Mrm- yeah sorry." he noted, realising it might not down too well if he were to have simply wandered up to her personal 'quarters' so to speak, without even being invited up. He quickly scaled down the ladder, grunting a little as he did so, arms folding across his chest again idly as he perked a brow, looking to her.

"Was just curious is all, don't mind me." The words were somewhat of a half-hearted excuse, but he couldn't look at her for too long as he found himself slowly looking back towards the entryway to the few stalls that were there, frowning a little as that ominous feeling of unease settled into the pit of his stomach yet again. "Is everything okay back there?" he puzzled, idly pointing a thumb over to where the stalls lay dormant, distance and horrific memories clung to it like a rotten smell. He frowned again and looked back to her seemingly waiting for a reply.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." - If you want peace, prepare for war.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!
Reply

Age: 23 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander
Level: 1 - Strg: 6 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 10
Played by: kore Offline
Change author:
Posts: 74
MP:
#24
She had half a mind to tell him to get the fuck out. He was rude, he was invasive, all in all Eli Monnrow was proving to be an awful guest and her patience for his testing her boundaries and ignoring social norms that he otherwise seemed like he ought to have known (since when did strange men think it appropriate to invade a woman's room?). Furious and feeling somewhat threatened (what had he meant to accomplish? Was he going to rob her? Did he mean her harm? Who was he spying for?) she glared at him, meeting his gaze.

His apology was not an apology but an excuse and earned no brownie points, only a finger jabbed toward the doorway, the pot resting against her hip. "I offered you a drink, not free run of my home. Who do you think you are? Get out before we see if that queen's guard is actually good for anything."
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)


RPG-D