Tithe to the Temple
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
"In the end, I suppose it really depends on where you're going to be," Jigano admitted thoughtfully. "If you're going to stay at the Temple, you have the best control over his own magic - especially summoned creatures - and more amulets would be better off with those at the Guild. Conversely, if you decide to go to the Guild for LongNight, then the bulk of the amulets should be left with those at the Temple." He shrugged as they made it back to the sleds, though it was a serious matter. Still, the other man looked stressed enough and the bard didn't like to add more to that burden. Loren's help during LongNight, wherever he stayed, would be valuable, and he didn't want to belittle the gravity of the choice Loren had to make.

He nodded soberly instead of joking about drawing monsters during LongNight. He didn't know for sure that meat had played a role in any of last year's deaths, but tales from the Naturals had certainly provided enough warning to not make that mistake even on accident or with good intentions - much less worse ones. "The Spark Bird is said to be lured in by gifts," he explained, trying to remember the passages from the books he had pored over recently. "Food - baked goods, fruits, that sort of thing, but also offerings like candles or hand-made trinkets. So long as it's heartfelt, that's what matters. She's... an incredible creature," he said more softly. "Empathetic and gentle, despite her destructive power. She might well have fled back to the mountains or wherever she came from before the Barrier was raised and trapped her here," he admitted more grimly. "But... from what I saw of her last year I think she will have stayed to help us against the monsters, if she can." He shook himself slightly, offering Loren a rare smile without wry overtones or a crooked twist. "You can always bring a candle from the Temple for her and we can make our offerings together after this."

At least the current job looked to be almost done, and Jigano picked up a smaller rug, tenuously balancing it over a shoulder before he followed Loren back in to soften the sounds on the lower level of the Temple.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415

loren
There wasn’t really enough time to redistribute amulets, unfortunately. And that was assuming that Loren actually knew how many amulets there were, and who had them, and where they were staying, which he didn’t. Indeed, he just knew that Remi had a few and he had an empty one. And that was it. They really screwed themselves over with the not talking thing. ”If I don’t end up at the Guild, can you make sure the appropriate people know?” Even if they couldn’t change how many amulets were at each location, they could at least make sure the right people at each place had them. Unfortunately, if the Launceleyn did go to the Guild, he didn’t know of any other powerful Abandoned—other than Rexanna, that is—who would be at the Temple. Which was another argument for him being there.

The summoner had seen the real Spark Bird, at least as an illusion. However, he wasn’t so sure if he trusted the white-haired man’s evaluation of her. Still, the bard had firsthand experience that Loren didn’t, so maybe he should at least try to trust that. ”I didn’t know that. About the gifts.” If he had, he would’ve showered the perch with them, hoping to call down as much protection as possible. ”And I’d like that.” Maybe it wasn’t too late to make a contribution; indeed, between the the two men and the golem, they’d gotten the last minute carpeting almost done. Loren shouldered a small rug himself and his summons took the last two large ones. However, getting books and gifts would take some time as well, and the sands of the hourglass were almost all at the bottom.
Never judge a book by its cover.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
The carpets took a little while longer, and once they were done Jigano stretched with a grimace, cracking his back. "I'm not used to doing quite that much lifting on my shoulders," he admitted as he rotated out the kinks. There was still a little daylight left, however, and he arched a brow at Loren with a smile. "At least the offerings I have are smaller things. You can grab something from the Temple if you want, or you're welcome to help with what I've brought. We could use all the luck we can get this year, even with how prepared we've managed to be." They could never be prepared enough, not for something like Long Night.

"We can get the books tomorrow, then, if you have a chance." The meat for the guild could be delivered after dark that night. The cold wouldn't hurt it now that it was smoked, and Isuma was doing an excellent job of guarding the sled with the help of her new luxere friend. Maybe 'guarding' was a bit strong of a word. 'Playing near the sled' was probably more honest, but since no one had tried to take anything, it seemed an effective strategy.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

loren
”Me neither.” Indeed, Loren was not that strong physically, so he was definitely feeling the strain from all the lifting as well. And he’d had the easy job. As Jigano rotated his arm, the summoner rotated his neck, before a thought occurred to him. He reached for his magic, and a pulse of sky-blue light ran over him, chasing away most of the pains, though not the exhaustion that was settling deep in his bones and muscles; he held up a softly glowing hand. ”I can help with some of that, if you’d like.”

As the bard mentioned taking something from the Temple, the Launceleyn shook his head, then drew upon a different part of his arcane energy. A metal bird, feathers perfect, and colored as the Spark Bird itself was, appeared in his hands. ”Will this do?” It felt better, bringing something he’d made by hand. At the white-haired man’s suggestion that they grab the books tomorrow, Loren nodded. ”That works for me.”
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Gladly," Jigano agreed gratefully. It was a little strange being healed by someone else, but after so long in a world where the skill was rare he was more than happy to be granted a little magical easing of sore muscles before the cold could set them to aching. It was his first time feeling Loren's magic for himself; the first time in recent memory that he had been healed with a mage's sure touch rather than his body's slow recovery. "Thank you!" There was no denying how much easier it was, and significantly more convenient than the old-fashioned way.

Again Loren used his considerable power to help out, this time with creation rather than summoning or healing, and for a moment Jigano could only shake his head in rueful wonder. "It will more than do," he said with a wry smile. Perhaps the Launceleyn - The Launceleyn, really, with Zariah gone - had once been tormented for being weak on his world, but on Caido his power was significant and impressive in both its breadth and scope. Not wanting to bring up bad memories on a day when they had accomplished so much, he simply tucked the thought away and hefted his own sack of goodies, ambling towards the Perch where they had erected it in the middle the Sanctuary square, well away from any peskily flammable buildings. "Were there any creatures like the Spark Bird on your world?"
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Well, at least Loren’s healing didn’t cause problems this time. Maybe that was because he’d asked instead of assumed, something he was still working on. ”You’re welcome.” However, the wonder in Jigano’s eyes in response to the summoner’s creation magic was certainly misplaced; in this particular domain, there were others whose skills far surpassed his own. Indeed, he rubbed the back of his head sheepishly in response to the bard’s admiring words. When the white-haired man asked about creatures in his world, the Launceleyn shrugged as they walked over to to perch. ”Not that I knew of. There was nothing that protected people that I heard of, just monsters.” In the form of both fantastic creatures and humans. "You?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He knelt in the snow, where others had already left a collection of food and treats, toys and figurines, bouquets of dried flowers and sweet-smelling herbs and other personal touches. "I can't think of any birds made of lightning," he said thoughtfully as he reached into his sack to offer his own gifts. A pair of the best autumn apples that had survived the winter so far, two candles of fragrant beeswax, and a pair of small wooden birds - one carved by a skillful hand and one clearly the work of a novice, but made with heart. "Of fire though? I've heard of phoenixes that live in the desert. Great scholars who can resurrect themselves from their slain corpses. They're said to be huge, as big as a large house, and largely benevolent, sharing wisdom and healing with those who seek them out." He gave his companion a wry shrug. "I never saw one myself, though. Numeria is known for its mammoth riders and skymetal more than anything else. Rolling plains and tundra and hills to the east, dotted with old forests, especially to the south... not exactly good phoenix territory." Though in truth maybe they were just well-hidden. He'd met creatures of legend and others of nightmare in his journeys across the land, but there was always more to see.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
As Jigano described the phoenixes of his homeworld, a brief smile crossed the summoner’s face, the first real one in this entire conversation. While he probably couldn’t summon a bird of fire that was as big as a house—that was beyond any mortal summoner, apparently—that didn’t mean he couldn’t call upon one just to show the bard. Indeed, the phoenix had been the Launceleyn’s stalwart spell once upon a time, back when he believed in resurrection for himself. Perhaps it was time to revive it, pun intended. ”I don’t know about mammoth riders or skymetal, but…” his voice trailed off as his eyes glanced upward; a blast of light and heat rushed over them as a phoenix sprang into being. ”I know a little about phoenixes.” Hopefully the white-haired man would enjoy Loren’s gesture.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Well, they smell terrible when it rains--" the bard had begun when the heat and light caused him to duck, swearing briefly in Sylvan as he threw a protective arm over his head, ready to dodge from the attack of whoever had cast a fucking fireball in the middle of a populated area--

But the heat lingered and he risked a look up at the majestic bird that hovered above them, wings of fire spread wide as she burned brightly and lit up the late afternoon clouds. After a moment of awed silence the bard sat back, laughing at his overreaction (it was funny now, but too often such reflexes had saved him from dangers that were all too real). He shook his head ruefully, admiring the creature for a few moments before he slanted Loren a wry grin. "Guess you do have them where you're from, huh?"
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Loren still wasn’t used to people not being used to his summoning. It had been so commonplace back in Northaven that he constantly forgot that seeing monsters here usually meant death, or at least a protracted battle. When Jigano threw up his hands, the summoner immediately opened his mouth to warn the bard. However, before the Launceleyn could say anything, the white-haired man recovered. At his words, though, Loren shook his head. ”Never seen a real one, just heard stories. Still. I...I liked how they would rise from the ashes.” It seemed unsurprising, given his background. ”Sorry I startled you.” One day he’d learn to keep his magic in check.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"It's a very good likeness, from the pictures I've seen in books," he admitted, relaxing now that he knew it wasn't an attack. "They're such an incredible creature. Being able to resurrect themselves..." He shook his head a final time, the smile still curving his lips before he rolled back to his knees to straighten a few offerings that he had knocked aside in his fright. That done he regained his feet and brushed at his knees, chuckling. "No harm done. It's a nice change, to be scared by something harmless! Rory is a summoner as well, but he doesn't like to use his magic if he doesn't have to, so I rarely get to see it in action like this. Eventually I'll get used to animals popping in and out of existence." In truth it was the mythical and mystical ones that surprised him, especially ones as big as the small phoenix that Loren had conjured. He supposed that they could have been illusions, but the fact that they were a proper summoning was the mark of a powerful caster on his world, whether druid, sorcerer, or wizard.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Apparently phoenixes were the same no matter what world they were in. There was something weirdly comforting in that, and in the way Jigano relaxed and looked at the fire bird with something akin to awe. Indeed, it caused the tension to drain (though only a little bit) from Loren. He made the phoenix fly in lazy circles and give a small, but triumphant reply. ”Again, I’ve never seen the real deal. Mine can’t resurrect, though I can summon them repeatedly, so I guess that sort of counts.” Only one at a time, of course.

As the bard spoke of his partner and of summoning magic in general, the Launceleyn shrugged, slightly embarrassed. ”I should be more careful. People have warned me, I just...forget sometimes.” About pretty much everything he’d been warned about, to be honest. Kneeling, he set his own offering at the foot of the perch. It seemed small, there, in comparison to the much more thoughtful and much less hasty gifts others had brought.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Close enough," Jigano agreed cheerfully to the suggestion of repeat summoning being similar to resurrection. They didn't have souls or minds, from what Rory had told him, so it wasn't like Loren was calling the same 'one' back each time, but by that same logic they weren't different either.

He gave a slight shrug as the mage placed his offering, his smile fading a little. "It's hard," he agreed quietly. "If I had retained my power, I would have struggled as well. It was so commonplace on my world that it's been a shock to see mages treated so coldly here." He shook his head slightly, offering the other man a sympathetic smile. "But things are getting better, slowly but surely. There are enough outlanders who flaunt their magic that it's shocking people out of some of those stifled old traditions. The ones in the Settlement are getting more used to it, at least, as they see it from Remi and Rexanna and others. It helps that it makes things more convenient," he added with a crooked smile. "That always makes change easier to swallow."
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Close enough, when it came to resurrections, wasn’t really good enough. It would just leave whoever was being revived dead. Still, that didn’t seem to be the right thought to have going into LongNight, so he did his best to banish it. As Jigano didn’t his best to reassure the summoner that it was okay to show off his magic, his eyes rose to the phoenix overhead. Unfortunately, despite how useful his talents were, he didn’t think people actually appreciated it when he used them, given how foolish his actions were and how often his spells went awry. ”I used to have a better handle on it. More control.” Then again, he only used to have a small fraction of the power he currently held at his fingertips.