Not So Simply Divine (Open)
Elyna Ariez
Soldier

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship:
Level: 4 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

As the goddess strode forward, Elyna felt her eyes narrow. Though the starlight sparkled in the air—and power practically radiated off the being—the soldier wasn’t cowed. Honestly, if this was to be a fight, she didn’t know if she possessed the capacity to walk away from it. Long ago she’d resolved never to run or bow to the powerful. Even if she felt afraid (as anyone would, when confronted by the divine) Elyna refused to let her fear control her. She was her own master, now more than ever since the only people she had to listen to was gone. Her independent streak might be seen as abrasive by some, but Elyna felt very differently about it. Indeed, to her it was a sign of her freedom: she was constrained by nothing and no one, especially petty norms and conventions that were just designed to take people’s power and voice away.

It was a radical thought, and she didn’t think of it in such grandiose terms. All she knew was that a lot of people were dumb, and a lot of the things, customs and traditions and whatnot, were even dumber and they could be ignored freely so long as she was willing to face the consequences. Seeing as few people challenged her on that—and fewer still were strong enough to force the issue—she felt pretty good about her life philosophy. Objectively she knew there were individuals and things powerful to bring her to heel. But rallying against those forces until she’d won or they killed her, or she grew powerful enough herself to safely ignore them was the only way she knew how to survive and thrive.

Of course, all of that percolated in her subconscious. All she did visibly when the goddess came towards her was narrow her eyes, no longer all that impressed, even when the being showed her own fangs. As someone who routinely tried to intimidate people by baring her teeth—it was a favorite scare tactic of Elyna’s—it didn’t do much. Neither did the goddess’ questions. Indeed, Elyna crossed her arms and barely kept herself from glaring at such a ridiculous request. If this deity didn’t start dishing soon, Elyna might lose the little composure she was holding onto. Because the truth of the matter was, this encounter was so far from anything she could comprehend that she was relying upon her core and falling back on her instincts to guide her.

And those instincts weren’t well suited to philosophic considerations of why she was and wasn’t deserving: indeed, even under the best of circumstances Elyna wouldn’t have been able to go back and forth with a goddess. So instead, she just spoke the first thing that came to mind that wasn’t entirely inflammatory. ”As I said, something brought us here for a reason, so presumably something thought we were worth the effort." That was obvious, but what wasn't obvious was why this was like pulling teeth.

Maybe seeking answers here was the wrong course of action, but Elyna didn't see a better way. Nor was she shy about telling the goddess that. "Seems to me that if someone needs us for something they should, oh, I don’t know, fucking tell us or give us a sign." There was one other indicator Elyna felt fairly confident about. "Besides, you showed up, didn’t you? And you didn’t have to, I assume, which tells me I have some value to you.” It was Elyna’s turn to bare her teeth; she wasn’t sure about anything related to gods, or religion, or anything in this realm, but she knew herself and she wasn’t going to back down. ”Plus, I don’t see anyone else lining up to pray at your altar, do you? Probably because my people know jack shit about religion, and without someone to explain it to us I don’t see that changing any time soon. Hard to pray to gods we don't know and who don't make themselves known to us.” If the goddess took offense, so be it. Elyna wanted answers and she wanted them now.

Then she actually grinned, a fierce, savage and proud expression; insolent she might be, but she also knew her worth. ”Also, I’m fucking awesome. I’m stronger and faster and smarter than most, and I’m getting better every day.” It wasn’t hubris if it was true.

elyna
Improving upon perfection

Messages In This Thread
Not So Simply Divine (Open) - by Elyna - 11-28-2018, 03:54 AM
RE: Not So Simply Divine (Open) - by Safrin - 11-29-2018, 03:57 AM
RE: Not So Simply Divine (Open) - by Elyna - 11-29-2018, 04:56 PM
RE: Not So Simply Divine (Open) - by Safrin - 11-29-2018, 06:52 PM
RE: Not So Simply Divine (Open) - by Elyna - 11-29-2018, 08:21 PM
RE: Not So Simply Divine (Open) - by Safrin - 11-29-2018, 08:35 PM
RE: Not So Simply Divine (Open) - by Elyna - 11-29-2018, 09:23 PM
RE: Not So Simply Divine (Open) - by Safrin - 11-29-2018, 09:49 PM
RE: Not So Simply Divine (Open) - by Elyna - 11-29-2018, 10:16 PM