[SE] i close my eyes to see
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4967
SUNJATA
The initial question is slightly lost on him as he mentions that he is indeed one of Phoebe’s friends, and that he’s a shitty friend – and for a moment Sunjata can’t help the dark smirk that crosses his face at that. “So I have heard.” He admits, pausing as he looks back at Loren. “A shitty friend is still a friend, and I still think you’re mine. If nothing else but that you’re my wife’s friend too.” His gaze hardens a bit at that, that whether Loren thought that Sunjata and he were friends or not was irrelevant when it came to the admission that Phoebe was still considered a friend to him.

Regardless, he watches as Loren closes his yes and offers a response in despair, and it’s all Sunjata can do to stand there and just let him. “The point is that it gives people something to focus on, to hope that it makes a difference whether it does or doesn’t.” He offers, contemplatively, head tilting slightly as he regards Loren. “And hope, Loren, is an incredibly powerful thing for people to have.” Regardless if Sunjata had none, if he admitted to having nothing close to it the last time they’d spoken before the wedding. Things could change, and they were… Slowly.

But then Loren’s punching the shelf and the tension drains from him while Sunjata exhales a rasping sigh, watching as the summoner scoops up the books and continues on, knuckles still bleeding. And there’s a part of some of that irony within him, at why Loren wouldn’t heal his own knuckles, when he had argued with Sunjata over healing him of his lung condition. He sighs quietly to that, picking up his stack again and following behind. “Nobody is blaming you for what happened.” He admits quietly, whether Loren wants to believe it or not.
we'll break our own hearts
so that someone else can't
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 30 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Loren clenched his jaw. ”You didn’t answer my question.” Tilting his head, he regarded Sunjata with a cool and hard gaze. ”What does friendship mean to you?" There was still something low and almost a little dangerous in the summoner's voice. "And what do you actually know about me?"

However, as the bartender spoke of hope, the Launceleyn's eyes and voice both shattered, leaving nothing but an empty dullness in their wake. "Good for them." He paused, staring into the distance, away from the other man. "But I don't have a whole lot to be hopeful about right now." The admission came out quietly.

Loren's eyes flicked to Sunjata and then away as they turned to corner to yet another stack. "I know." Stopping, the summoner picked up the top book on the pile with his telekinesis, then slid it into place using more of the same before continuing on. "Doesn't stop me from blaming myself." He shot the bartender a pointed look. "And before you get all weird about it, I know I shouldn't blame myself. My head does at least." The Launceleyn hesitated. "Doesn't stop my heart from asking what if." With that, he picked up the pace, walking angrily to the next shelf.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
SUNJATA
What does friendship mean to him? Now Sunjata hadn’t grown up exactly in the best place to get an idea of what friendship was, but he’d managed the best he could. So he looks to Loren with an equally hard gaze to answer his question. “Friendship is when two people spend time together and get to know one another. Someone who supports you when you need it and is there for you.” He pauses, head tilting. “Even when you do stupid things, they’re not afraid to call you an idiot.” A brief pause once more. “So yeah, I consider you my friend.

The question of what he even knows about Loren, he exhales a rasping deep sound as he runs a hand through his hair. “Do I have to list everything out? I know that you can’t swim. I know that you used to think your magic was a curse, that you thought everyone here hated you because you disappeared for a bit. That you try so fucking hard all the time to help people, opening the manor for people and hunting for food before LongNight, enforcing the Temple for it too. I know that you know what it’s like to want to sacrifice yourself because you don’t think you mean anything.” Should he go on? Because he can. “But you do.

The comment of hope, however, almost goes unnoticed with a soft sigh that leaves Sunjata. “It’ll feel like that. For awhile, trust me. But it gets better.” There’s an honest answer there, nearly the same thing that Loren had told Sunjata when Lusea died.

Still, he follows the summoner, trying to break through that icy exterior, the part that’s so much like him in the way of trying to push people away. And he sighs in understanding, a nod given to him in the end. “I get it.” He offers softly. “That idea that people would be better off if you didn’t get close to them to hurt them, that being around you means that they’ll just die or leave one day.” There’s a softer edge to his voice as he puts more books away. “But isolation isn’t safety, it’s death.If nobody knows you’re alive, you aren’t.
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
the Firebrand

Age: 30 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Loren remained silent as Sunjata explained what friendship meant. For a long while afterwards, the summoner said nothing, just walked with troubled eyes. Finally, he sighed. "Well, bully for you." He shot the bartender an unimpressed look. "So what stage are we in?" The Launceleyn's expression grew challenging.

As the other man went on to explain how well he did (or didn't) know Loren, he fell quiet again. At the end he snarled, though half under his breath. "Really? I do?" He took a deep breath. "Because it seems to me if I disappeared again, if I left tomorrow, it wouldn't really make a meaningful difference or lasting impact on anyone's life. For good or for ill." There was a bitterness in hiss voice, yes, but also an exhausted acknowledgement of how little his presence mattered in the end.

The message on hope from Sunjata elicited an eye roll from the summoner. "When?" There was a bluntness to the question, a weary acceptance that life in Caido was fucking bleak, and nothing and no one could change that.

However, when the bartender tried to tell the Launceleyn that shutting people out wasn't the solution, his expression hardened. "Worked out fine for me in the past. And for others." The self-hatred rose up to eclipse all other emotions, and he barely resisted the urge to punch another shelf. Instead, he used his telekinesis to replace yet another volume, before moving on.

Physically, at least.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
For a moment Sunjata shrugs, wanting to comment that it was semantics for him – bully or friend, all the same in the end for how stubborn and bull-headed he got. The mention of what stage they’re in does have Sunjata narrowing his eyes somewhat on the summoner. “Support.” Because that’s what he’s here for – to make amends, to support his friend, to apologize for being an asshole so many days ago. But it seems as though the Launceleyn isn’t in the mood for it.

But the snarl that leaves Loren, the words cause him to narrow his own gaze back at the man. “You do.” He offers quietly. “Me, Peter, Phoebe, for starters. There’s plenty more.” Unfortunately Sunjata doesn’t know about Abasi, otherwise he’d add the other man into it as well, among the rest that race through his mind.

At the question and the eyeroll, Sunjata sighs quietly, the rasping sound pausing with the bluntness of the question. “It’s different for everyone. I don’t know how long it’ll take you. Took me a couple months to come to terms with Lusea’s death. You know that.” He puts another book back before crossing his arms, two books left within the crook of his elbow.

When it comes to the comment from shutting people out, Sunjata finds himself frowning at that, following the summoner as he puts the other two books away. “I mean, if that’s what you want to do I can’t stop you. I just… Want you to know that I’m there for you, whether it’s a punching bag or a chat.” A shrug and another sigh.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Sunjata offered his help, Loren just stared at the bartender. Finally, the summoner pushed past him, heading back down the stack they’d just passed through. ”Peter left. You and Phoebe have each other. And frankly, I’m not so sure about that.” Pausing he turned to glare at the other man. ”People seem to move on really quickly around here.” With that, the Launceleyn spun on his heel and stalked around a corner.

However, he halted in his tracks at Sunjata’s next comment. Loren didn’t turn around again, just stared blankly ahead. ”I wasn’t talking about the deaths, though that’s part of it. I was talking about...everything. The deaths, the constant danger, the crises that seemed to come one after another after another.” Voice defeated and exhausted, he swayed a little. ”Do you know how many people I’ve lost?” It came out in the barest of whispers.

Thankfully, the bartender's words shook the Launceleyn out of his torpor. "Noted." The word came out sharply. He resumed his march forward, turning a corner and shoving a book into place with far more force than was necessary.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
He almost wants to laugh at the way he mentions that he has Phoebe. “Not in the way of having someone to talk to about literally anything.” A frown finds his face. He can’t talk to Phoebe about quite a few things, but Loren? Loren knew.

He watches the summoners back as he looks straight ahead, a light sigh leaving him as he shakes his head, understanding exactly what he means. “It is. There’s always something. But we’re stuck here aren’t we? We can’t leave. So we have to do the best with what we’ve got.” He rumbles with a light shrug, trailing after Loren.

The second noted though does get under his skin, and with the force of the book put in place, Sunjata reaches for Loren then, to turn him and face him. “Come on, Loren.” He says, defeat in his voice. “Let’s go leave some stupid offerings, go to the bar and I can get you some food.Give me something.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
At Sunjata’s comment, Loren raised his chin almost challengingly. ”Well, you should probably figure out how to have an open conversation with Phoebe. And you really think you can talk to me about anything?” His tone was low, and held more than a bit of an edge in it.

Walking ahead of the bartender, the summoner’s grip on his books tightened as his shoulders tensed. ”Are we? Are we stuck here? What does the best even look like?” The hints of anger had bled away, leaving exhaustion and despair in their place.

Finally, the other man forced the Launceleyn to face him. For a long moment, he was silent. Then he set the last book into place and sighed. ”Fine. I’ll make the offerings. But that’s it.” There was nothing but a weary resignation in his voice.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
Mm yes, because that’ll go so well. Let me just tell her all about the inner workings of the Advocates and who’s all in it so she can get upset about it.” His gaze narrows. “Things of which you already know.” It was a lost cause to continue the conversation though, and instead he poises his own thoughts. “If there’s a way to leave, would you?” He asks quietly.

Despite everything… he doesn’t know if he would or not. Either he ends back in Dorobo and Korofi and deals with the fallout of everything there… Or he ends up in another world, hoping it’s better than this only to find out it isn’t. “If you could go back, would you?

At least after a moment of getting Loren to see some sort of reasoning, the summoner agrees to leave the offerings regardless. And once Loren slides the last book in place, Sunjata nods, stepping out toward the entrance of the Atheneum to head toward the shrine. “Well let’s get it over with I guess.” He offers quietly.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren gave Sunjata an exhausted shrug. ”Honestly, what even are the inner workings of the Advocates? And why do you think she would possibly care." Eyes tired, and voice even more weary, the summoner rubbed his temples. "She's from a world that was constantly at war. I can guarantee you she understands the necessity of clandestine activities."

Not answering the bartender's question right away, the summoner's eyes grew distant. It was only when the other man asked a variation on the second question that the Launceleyn finally returned his gaze to Sunjata. "I could leave the Hollowed Grounds. And I'm not sure if I'd look back if I did." The words were quiet.

Loren followed the bartender to the entrance to the Atheneum. However, the summoner was silent, almost more like the other man's shadow than another person.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
I meant the members, in a sense.” He rumbles with a shrug. “And I had thought maybe you’d put two and two together at the wedding.” Gaze flickering over to the summoner. “After what happened at the wedding she absolutely wouldn’t like to know that’s who my right hand is.” A leveled look, that his right hand was indeed the very same woman that kissed him minutes before he’d said ’i do’.

The mention of leaving the Hollowed Grounds has a loud exhale leaving him, head bobbing in agreement. “You and me both.” It’s like an echo of before, that the second he sees that ocean, he doesn’t know if he’d ever want to come back here.

Regardless, the summoner follows him to the opening of the Atheneum, silent as a ghost. And Sunjata just charges on, leading him to the shrine before he pulls out a small thing he’d put together. A few of his navy feathers mixed with the black iridescent ones of Haai, tied with twine and speckled with a hint of white paint like stars. He sets it on the shrine before saying a silent prayer to Safrin, before stepping back and turning his gaze to Loren. “Do you have anything to offer?” A quiet question.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Sunjata explained the problems with the advocates, Loren frowned, brow furrowed with confusion. However, understanding soon dawned, and he sighed. "I think you're underestimating Phoebe, but it's your marriage." Glancing away, he found his eyes grow distant. "What did happen at the wedding?" The words were quiet.

When the bartender asked if the summoner had anything to offer, he just stared at the shrine for a long moment. Finally, he held out a hand: a pendant appeared, a simple silver chain with a starburst ornamentation at the end of it, one that held a crystal that shimmered with every color under the sun.

Shifting his hair to feathers for just a moment, he yanked one out, ignoring the pain. Next he shifted the skin of his hand to fur, and pulled that out as well, still not reacting. Finally, he wove the feather onto the chain, tying a knot with the fur to keep it in place. Then he put the whole pendant onto the altar before stepping back.

However, while he made his offering to Safrin, he didn't pray, to her or anyone else.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
What did happen at the wedding? Had Loren not seen the kiss? He’s not sure if he wants to tell the summoner now, but he chews on the inside of his cheek briefly and decides that the rumors would spread one way or another. Exhaling quietly, he runs a hand through his hair. “When Hotaru kissed me.” He offers, gaze slipping toward the summoner with a dark raised brow. “Minutes before I went to go see if Phoebe wanted to call it off. I think she wanted to. I think Hotaru hoped so too.” He shrugs.

Phoebe was clinging to another man, I can’t remember his name, but when I showed up she was crying like I was some sort of monster forcing her to do this.” He looks forward toward the shrine they approach again. “And I told her it was okay to call it off if she wanted to, Frey arrived and said the same thing. But Phoebe kind of just shut down like she does.” His gaze shifts back down to look at the ring along his finger. “Frey got her out of it by just saying that marriage was something mortals did and it didn’t mean anything in the end, whether she married me or not. So. You know the rest that came after that.

But they’re there at the shrine, giving their offerings and prayers or none if there were some. And his gaze flits back to Loren after a quiet amount of time. “You sure you don’t wanna go throw some punches?” Another quiet question, a dark brow lifted. Because he would, if that’s what Loren wanted to do.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
A little bit of life returned to Loren when Sunjata brought up Hotaru's kiss. "Yeah, no I caught that. It was impossible to miss." However, that little spark faded as the bartender continued speaking. At the end of the explanation, the summoner bit his lip. "I see. Thanks for telling me." The tone was more tired then grateful.

The Launceleyn shook his head at the other man's question. "I don't think Safrin would appreciate more violence by her shrine. Plus you're not nearly as attractive a target as the bookshelves." Lifting the bloodstained knuckles, which had scabbed over by now, Loren examined them. However, he made no move to heal them, simply dropped his hand again.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood