between pages two and three
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Age: 28 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 6 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Firebirb Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
"So, I know what a Wicker Woman is.." Libbs trailed, pushing her two fingers together. "But, I imagine a spark bird and a gold fish mean two entirely different things in this world don't they?" In that moment, Isuma started to migrate towards Libbs, because when one is a greedy pet monger, one must collect dues from all viable sources, and Libbs had two hands that were completely idle, and not being used for anything. Therefore, almost passively, Libbs started to pay her dues in pets, running both hands alongside the gryphon's sides, loose feathers falling to her ruffle.

"Ludo seems like a lovely god. Unlike the rest of them. I've been told a lot of crazy things about the gods. Honestly, all of them kind of.. scare me." she paused. "I'm really worried one of these days, I'm gonna run into one, and they're gonna curse me because I don't know what I'm doing." she admitted to them. "Perhaps though if I stay quiet, they won't notice." she chuckled.

"It's a very noble thing to request though. Why did you request to have a lantern do that?" she tilted her head.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5695
He chuckled at her astute guess, nodding in confirmation. "Well, the Gold Fish aren't too different at least. They swim in the Stonesong river in the Greatwood. They have beautiful scales and delicious meat, and can get up to a foot and a half or so long. I went after them with a foxy friend, and we collected lunch alongside the scales," he admitted with a wink. "Isuma loves them, too," he added, plucking up a fallen feather and twirling it between his fingers with a wry smile. "Must be her feline side."

The other one, though... that was a darker tale, though at least for once it didn't end in death. "The Spark Bird is a creature of massive size, with fiery feathers that shed sparks when she flies. She was trapped in the barrier along with everything else in the Hollowed Grounds for three hundred years, and rumors say she hid in the Glade for most of them, staying near the Oasis and the dampest trees so she didn't set anything on fire accidentally. During LongNight, though, her light can keep the monsters at bay. You'll hear about the traditions soon enough," he added with a smile that was more grim than humorous. "But we had built a perch for her out in the Sanctuary plaza, and laid out gifts for her to come. Then, in the middle of LongNight, when everyone was supposed to stay inside... we heard a great Crack!" He clapped his hands together sharply to emphasize the sound. "From where we had built the perch."

He didn't get to finish the tale before Libbs was off again on another tangent, and he paused for a moment to pivot his thoughts off in a different direction. "That's a wise reaction to them," he agreed soberly to her fear of the gods. "They can all, in their way, be scary. Even Ludo. They all like to play favorites, and you never know whether one will be in a good mood or a bad one." He tilted his head at her, offering an encouraging smile. "I can try and tell you what to expect from them if you'd like, and what sorts of things make good offerings to appease them, just in case."

He paused at her compliment, his smile growing sadder as he shook his head. "No... I know it looks that way, but really it was... well. It was selfish of me. I was desperate for a purpose. I needed to feel... well, like I was needed. On my world I was an Oracle, one who had a connection to the divine as well as the mortal. I wanted something like that here, as well, and Ludo was kind enough to give it to me."
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Age: 28 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Libbs very patiently listened, nodding her head, and keeping her gaze focused on Jigano. He had her attention, her mind rapt in the stories that he was telling. And on some level, it was relieving, a comfort given by the fact that someone was finally piecing this little world she had stumbled into together, piece by piece. She pulled her body up towards herself, crossing her legs, and leaning into her hands as they rested on her knees.

His subtle comment though gave way to a softer gaze, her lids lowering, and her eyes glittering just a bit. She'd blink, smile, and open her mouth. But her voice trembled softly, like the subtle creep of a quiet morning. No hasty screaming or energetic questions.

"Hey, I don't think it was selfish."

Libbs paused a bit, and fiddled with her fingers. "I don't remember who told me this once, but someone told me once that.. we have wants, and needs. And that's different for each person. Wants are fleeting. They're the things you second guess. But needs- needs are the things ya chase, even when you're not sure what that really is." She looked down at her hands. Those words lately had been ringing a bit. "But without 'em, you're a hollow self."

She kept looking into her lap as she spoke. As if it was helping her navigate her answer. "I think, you wanting a purpose? That was a need you had. And there ain't anything selfish about taking care of yerself. In fact, ya gotta, on some level, otherwise how can you help others?" she pointed out. "Sides, I think a lot of people feel that way. You're just one of the ones who got it sorted out before us." she giggled. Her eyes glanced to Isuma, the truth somewhere in her eyes, before she blinked and quickly changed the topic. "But, I suppose, you could tell me a lil about them gods. Don't wanna accidentally give something that'll offend 'em."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He'd known there was a kind heart beneath her absent-minded mechanic exterior, but he hadn't realized there was a philosopher as well. He listened as she recalled words of wisdom from a different world, words that resonated across space and time, and he smiled ruefully as she so deftly put into perspective a conversation he'd once had with his mate over the difference between 'wants' and 'needs.' He had bowed to his lover's opinion then - he usually did, still smitten with the blond hunter even after more than a year together - but Libbs voiced what he had wanted to say with a simple economy of speech that had him bowing his head to her deeply in respectful acknowledgment.

"You didn't tell me you were a sage as well as an engineer," he murmured, teasing only slightly as he looked up again, a rueful smile tugging at his lips. "Continue like that and I'll be able to retire and hand the reins of my Guild over to you before the season ends. Thank you, Libbs. I didn't realize how much I needed to hear that." It felt too often as though he was superfluous, mocked more then respected for what he tried to do, his accomplishments lost beneath the avalanche of failures that seemed to follow him. The kind words and support from someone who looked at it from outside the social bubble they had in many ways recreated around their world was a breath of fresh air and a glimpse of sunlight in a stormy sea.

He cleared his throat, composing himself once more after the unexpected wash of emotions, but when he spoke again he sat a little straighter in his chair, and his blue eyes shone a little clearer as he watched her. "Well, we talked a little about them before when you first arrived. You're most likely to run into Frey, Safrin, or Ludo. Frey is a god of pleasure and, ah... things of a more carnal nature," he said delicately. "Offerings of fruit, cream, or things that bring you physical pleasure tend to appeal to them, from what I've heard from others." He'd only seen Frey once, after all, and that was at a wedding.

"Safrin is..." he hesitated a moment, considering his fraught interactions with her, but hurried on. "A goddess of life and stars. Things of beauty appeal to her, especially things that celebrate her beauty - art or songs or poetry in her honor, or items in her theme of stars and moon and night. Praise her, compliment her, and she'll be more likely to look favorably on you." He bit back what else came to the tip of his tongue, looking troubled for a moment before he moved on.

"Ludo is a god of souls and the afterlife, leading the deceased to their final rest. It's a playful god, prone to mischief and pranks. It likes games, toys, or things that hold special memories or meaning to you. Lantern themed things tend to go over well, and it is very fond of cats and catbirds- like Isuma," he said with a chuckle, tickling the gryphlets paws where she was trying to make biscuits on the tabletop.

"I don't know that the Voice cares much for offerings, but her shrines tend to be made of black material and include metal, glass, or wires. If you avoid them, you'll be less likely to attract her notice. I don't think she cares much what you bring her, so long as you're willing to Ascend and join the ranks of her 'children.'" He frowned slightly at that, giving a slight shake of his head before his rueful smile returned.

"Of course, the old gods will also try and get you to Attune, and will be more than happy to help with that. Being able to shapeshift into an animal of this world is... well. It is a great gift, and a great freedom," he added, the look in his eyes softening for a moment as he considered his own shapes.
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
"Heh, don't give me too much credit Jigs, really." she waved her hands in front of her, smiling a tad, before folding them together. "It's just a truth. You can't change a truth. Cause changing a truth makes you a liar. And I'm not a good liar." she admitted.

She let the conversation continue though, onto the ideals of the gods, what they prefer, didn't prefer. Arguably, she was a little uneasy at the thought. Libbs was not a creative person, least, not in the traditional sense. She didn't know if she had anything in her kit of knowledge and wealth that would appease a god. Well, it seemed like she did, however, that was the god she was a little.. concerned about to say the least.

"It sounds like something really cool, though, I'll be honest, I don't know if I got what it takes to catch a god's eye like that. Be pretty cool to be a bird though, or fly!" she nodded. "Though at this rate, that.. Voice.. lady, would be interested in what I'm sellin, and I dunno if I'm okay with that." she chuckled nervously.

She then paused. "Do I have to make offerings to them regularly?" she asked.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
There was that 'Jigs,' again, and his smile flickered a little towards a wince. Her wisdom was such that he might have argued with it a year ago, but Caido had come to change him in some ways, enough that he had come to treasure such clear-eyed optimism and certainty, and he bowed his head in acceptance of her words, smile lingering. "That's not a bad thing," he murmured a little wistfully.

"Just be yourself," he suggested with a chuckle. "You haven't chosen one or the other among any of them, and they seem eager to gather followers who remain undecided. I suspect you'll have little trouble, though..." He shrugged ruefully. "The gods are fickle, every one of them. And they've got a lot of prayers to answer, so don't lose heart just because they don't answer the first time or two." It was becoming easier to accept how active the gods of Caido were compared to those he had grown up with, but it had taken more than a year to earn that familiarity.

Her concerns were well-founded, he thought, nodding gravely at her nervous chuckle. "Possibly," he admitted, "But don't count the old gods out. Or yourself, for that matter. Maybe you can adapt your skills to working with natural materials, like wood and stone?" he suggested. "And how many offerings you make depends on what you want in return." His smile quirked back up, wry humor in his gaze. "If you think you're going to be asking for favors now and again, leaving regular offerings is a good way to sweeten the tempers of any and all of them. If you're going to try and avoid their notice, then it's less important. Some people pray every day to all of the old gods, others only on festivals or to specific gods, and some only when they want something special." He shrugged again. "It's up to you, what you're most comfortable with."
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
"I doubt that. Half of the reason why what I use what I use is cause, well, that's how it works!" she paused. "Alcohol combusts. Steel burns hotter. It's kinda the thing. I guess I don't know if that's fine by them or not." she shrugged. "But, I suppose, I could give them small things that others make right? As long as they're thoughtful, and respectful? I'm really good at trading for stuff!" Libbs wiggled one finger as she spoke, before lowering it back down again.

"Say, maybe you should take me to one of these shrines. Show me what to do. That way, if I do.. I guess, decide to care- I don't do it the wrong way. Maybe I can meet your god or something.." she playfully chirped, as it seemed like out of all of them, Jigano's god seemed the least scary. She could totally play games or tell stories.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Hmm... I hadn't thought of that. I'm not really sure what goes into cahrs," he admitted ruefully. "But the trading idea is a good one. Not everyone is an artist or sculptor of clay or paper. Trading something you've made or that you value in order to get something that you think they'll like... yes, I don't see why not." He grinned, impressed with Libbs's ingenuity and resourcefulness in the face of what might have been a conundrum.

The request to go with him to a shrine was unexpected, and it touched him deeply enough that Isuma raised her head to peep bright agreement, purring like a little engine beneath their hands as she felt his reaction to it. "I would be honored," he said, but his solemnity was ruined by the smile he gave to his mechanically-inclined friend. "And I would love to introduce you to Ludo. It wears a white mask and dark rags, and it likes to well, to spook people," he admitted with a chuckle. "But it can be kind, too, and takes the responsibility of reassuring and guiding the souls of the departed very seriously. If we're going to go meet it we should bring something... hmm..." He tilted his head thoughtfully, then smiled across the table at his friend. "What was your favorite game as a child? Maybe we can come up with a physical representation of it to bring to the Shrine as an offering."
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
Libbs pushed both of her hands together, biting on her thumb a bit as she worked through her brain to remember. Remember.. remember. What did she like to do before she was brought here? Well, she liked to drive, and she liked cars. She could bring him a toy car. Vroom vroom! A giggle emerged out of her lips, recalling a fond memory of running around with Hot Wheel cars.. and uh.. her parents stepping on them and screaming a cascade of profanities that became some of Libb's favorite words to use..

"I think I have an idea. But, one, I don't think it'd know how it works. And two, I would have to make one. But it was one of my favorite toys. It was a toy car. About the size of my thumb. I used to pretend it go fast in them." she blushed. "Do you think it'd like that?" she asked Jigano, looking a little hopeful.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano was perfectly content to wait patiently while Libbs thought about her fractured memories of her past, quirking a brow at her giggling since he didn't know what was going through her head. When she spoke up again he listened intently, playing with one of Isuma's feet to the gryphlet's mild annoyance. "I... I don't know," he admitted ruefully. "Without knowing what a car looks like or how it works, it's hard to say. Can you describe it in more detail? Or... can you sketch it?" he suggested, fishing out a stub of pencil and a scrap of paper from one of the many pockets sewn inside his capacious sleeves.

"Did you ever play any games with dice or pieces on a board?" he asked, trying to tease a few more details of her childhood out into the light. "Or cards, perhaps? Even if you played with an instrument, like a simple flute or pipes, those would work, too. The first time Ludo answered me was when I played a song for it on my lapharp," he admitted with a rueful smile at the memory. "Scared the hell out of me since I wasn't expecting any god to show up in person to answer a prayer. That sort of thing just didn't happen on my world." At least, not very often in such a direct fashion.
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
Libbs decided to answer both questions at the same time. She reached for the charcoal, and started to draw away at what a toy car would look like. Although her artistic skills could use some work, there was definitely the odd resemblance of what was some sort of four wheeled machine, with circular wheels on four corners. Like a cart, but with eyes and a weird hat. This would continue refining in more detail as she spoke.

"Well, I'll admit, I didn't play a lotta games when I was younger. I mean, I played with the hot wheels and stuff, but I was always chasin' my brother around and playing stuff with him. " she nodded. "So, I played basketball.. and skateboarded.. and I went swimming at the pool. I played Magic: the Gathering- does that count?" And before Jigano could ask. "It's a really complex little card game, where ya get 5 colors, and the 5 colors represent different 'styles' of playing. Your goal is to play cards against yer opponent until their 'health' drops to 0. And, I always liked the red and blue  colors." she nodded very affirmatively.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He watched her art, trying to guess what sort of shape this mysterious 'car' would take as she drew, but her description of playing with her brother brought a wry smile to his face. He was an only child, and had no such memories, but he nodded thoughtfully as she mentioned a ball game and swimming. Playing with magic, though - for a moment his eyes widened, wondering what spells she had once wielded, but the description a moment later dashed that misunderstanding before he embarrassed himself by letting it out. It wasn't exactly the clearest description of what was happening - colors made sense, at least; he'd played Three-Dragon Ante before and suits were normal enough in card games. He wasn't sure where 'health' came from, but the emphasis she put on it made it sound like a game mechanic... perhaps a different way of saying taking tricks or winning rounds?

"Maybe we could make some cards similar to that game?" he hazarded uncertainly. "Or else a ball would work, too. A skate board... is that like a sled?" Ice skating he knew, and using a board as a sled to travel over snow. Was that what she meant? His attention was drawn back to her artistic depiction and he pondered over it before guessing: "So, this 'car' is kind of like a cart? It reminds me a little of a wheeled horse toy my friend had when we were children. Her father pulled her around in it when we were small." His smile warmed for a moment a the memory, for once one that was gentle and warm.
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
"Oh Jigs, that would be so, so hard. I'd have to remember all of the types, and I would have to write all the cards. I would have teach Ludo an entirely complex card game- and I don't mind! But, heh, it may take a very, very long time. I don't think Ludo would want to wait that long to play a game, right?" she asked.

She answered the rest of the questions in kind. "A skateboard was a board with wheels. Cause in my world, they'd flatten the land, and it was a way to move a little faster than walkin'. But kids like me used to do lil' tricks on 'em. For street cred and all." she paused. Suddenly, her eyes lit up. "Yeah! That's kind of what a car is! A cart without wheels. It used fire and stuff to push it forward very fast. Faster then a horse. One car could easily go as fast as 100 horses." she nodded.

"That bein' said, we had a lil' thing for kids there called a 'big wheel' which was essentially a car without the motor stuffs. You'd push it around and pretend to drive. Ya think he may like that? Otherwise, I could totally play some ball with him! That'd be easy. We'd just have to find a very bouncy ball."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"That's a very good point," he agreed ruefully to her explanation of the magical card game, but he finally held up a pleading hand. "Could you call me 'Jigano', though? Or 'Gano' if you really want to use a nickname. Please?" He looked at her with soulful blue eyes, hoping she'd be more gracious about it than Amun was.

"Ah, the skateboard does sound like fun!" he agreed with her description, glad that this one thing made perfect sense once explained, from her world of wonders. The description of a car as not having wheels and being pushed by fire was baffling and hard to wrap his head around, and the mention of horses... "Why would one hundred horses be any faster than one horse?" he asked quizacally. "All horses run at more or less the same speed, don't they? Saddlebreds, at least." He was far from an expert on horses though - despite sometimes being one - so he was curious to hear about what kind of different horses Libbs's world had.

In truth, the 'big wheel' left him feeling even more confused than ever, though he at least knew what a motor was, more or less. "Ah... the ball.... might be simplest," Jigano agreed a tad weakly. "If you can describe to me what it is that you want I can try and find one, or point you towards someone who could make it."