I thought that love was a kind of emptiness
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
The white sheep of the family
Loren shrugged. ”It wasn’t mine to begin with. I just took it over after Zariah disappeared and Edy died. Besides, they disowned me, remember? I'm not a part of the family, which means neither is the Manor." The words came out in an unbothered, almost listless tone. "It's past time it had a new owner, I'd say."

Shooting a glance at Samuel, the summoner's brow furrowed. "Oliver, Robin, and Harper at the moment." The list came out quickly and without hesitation.

Mia's reaction brought a ghost of a smile to his lips. He scratched a little behind the cat's ears The memory of the day he'd met Astra was enough to raise his spirits a little further. "She followed me home one day after I sang to the herd. Honestly, it's more accurate to say she tamed me." Reaching down, he gave her an almost affectionate rub.

At the redhead's observation, however, the Launceleyn paused. "Maybe." He bent down and picked up his pack. "Like I said, I have a lot of experience with grief. You can only be sad and distant for so long before your mind finds things to distract you from it." The words were soft and a little sad, and he walked towards the exit before the other man could see the slightly stricken expression on Loren's features.

Honestly, he'd forgotten, a little bit, that he was supposed to be fully mourning. But that's how healing started.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Samuel

"...Oh." Sam was not up to date on all the various dramas of the Launceleyn family and frankly more members seemed to pop up every week, so he had no idea that they'd all apparently died out or gone away. "Do you go by a new name now, then?" He'd often considered it himself, removing the mark of Wordsworth from his life and starting anew. He didn't know any of the people listed as tenants, which meant he really didn't want to stay there.

Mia was very happy indeed to receive scritches behind her ears, purring and rubbing her face against Loren's fingers for more right away. "Wow...I've sung to the herds many times, but no Luxere has ever followed me away like that." Sam wondered if the story spoke to something special about Loren, some kind of quality in him that the Luxere trusted.

Sam reached to pick up Mia and wrap her in a little blanket so she wouldn't be cold (night time winds in Longheat could sometimes hold a surprising chill), then he was ready to head out of the exit with Loren. "So...are you still going to stay in Halo? Jigano wanted to know if you were leaving the guild for good."

Suppose I never ever met you
Suppose we never fell in love
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Loren shook his head at Samuel’s inquiry. Although the summoner’s jaw feathered with a bit of tension, when he spoke it came out evenly. ”No. I kept my name.” Not quite able to meet the redhead’s gaze, the Launceleyn stared at a point in the distance.

Obviously Mia's enthusiastic response earned her more scratches. When the other man expressed what seemed like admiration, though, Loren shrugged and dropped his hand. "I didn't do anything to deserve her, honestly." The statement came out almost guiltily. However, he couldn't help but reach out to squeeze Astra for a moment. Even in the depths of his despair, he was glad she'd chosen him.

As Samuel picked up and wrapped up the cat, the summoner waited patiently. Then they set off. He let the redhead lead the way, for obvious reasons. "Yes, I'm staying in Halo." The next comment gave him pause, and his steps slowed for a brief moment. "I wasn't aware leaving the Hollowed Ground required me to leave the Loreseekers." Given how monotone his voice was, it was impossible to tell how he felt about that.

However, his eyes had tightened a bit.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Samuel

"Oh. Well..that's fair. Sometimes it's best not to run from things." Sam knew well that just facing something was often the best way to work through it.

Had any of them done anything to deserve their companions? Perhaps Mia was not as exotic as Loren's Luxere, but Sam still greatly appreciated her and wondered how he'd managed to convince the little cat to stay with him, love him, keep him company. "She seems to think differently." He smiled as they walked out the door, holding it open for Loren and his companion to follow behind.

A beautiful moon brought a gasp from Sam as they felt the Atheneum, the chill of night air hitting him and making the moment all the more stunning. Turning back to speak to Loren he gently shook his head. "I don't think it does. I think...you just departed so quickly, took your things...we weren't sure of your intentions. I'm sure Jigano will be happy you want to stay in the guild. Perhaps you could write us letters about what you learn in Halo?" It would certainly be an easier way to learn about the new areas, rather than the entire guild having to go on expeditions.

"Have you...found something to do in Halo?" He asked, walking in the direction of the Domicles, speaking low so his voice wouldn't bounce through the open street and wake people nearby.

the Firebrand

Change author:
"Sometimes. Doesn't stop people from trying." The words carried a little bit of guilt, and Loren found his fingers drumming a nervous beat on his thigh. As he stilled them, he sighed. "Yes, well, I keep telling her she could do better. Maybe one day she'll actually believe me." Astra butted her antlers against him reproachfully, but playfully. It was an old argument, and she was almost glad to hear it again.

At least it meant he was recovering a bit.

It was a beautiful night, but it did nothing to lift the his spirits further. "What would you like to know about Halo?" He followed Samuel through the Domiciles. As they walked, the healer trained his gaze firmly on his steps, so that he wouldn't have to accidentally see anyone.

However, he glanced up at the redhead's question. "My brother appointed me Grand Healer." It came out without any real indication how the Launceleyn felt about it. Tilting his head, he considered the other man for a moment. "How about you? What do you do when you're not seeking lore?" Loren's question was a bit awkward and stilted.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

It was nice to hear Loren make a joke, even self-deprecating as it was; Sam smiled and looked down at the Luxere, glad that the Launceleyn allowed one supportive presence by his side seemingly at all times. Hopefully, she would save him from making any poor decisions in the depths of his sorrow.

"Well. My interests and those of the Loreseeker's guild are rather different. I imagine the guild would like to know things like the stories you hear, what they eat, how they produce their food and tools - how the city, the land, operates." It would be the beginning of a library on Halo in the Atheneum; perhaps not anything very exciting, but the basic information would be there for anyone interested in finding out more.

Grand Healer. It was quite the title. "So...a medical position, then. Are you in charge of an infirmary?" Sam asked, trying to pretend the thought of it didn't smart a little: it had been in the infirmary Nate had begun the 'experiments' that had begun his affair.

As for himself...turning down a side street (knowing it was quicker to reach his house through it) Sam thought for a moment, unsure of how much to reveal. Eventually deciding that Loren didn't seem to care much about anything at the moment, he told the truth. "Well, I make books for my shop, though a lot of the time...I'm busy working with my other Ascended family to complete tasks for The Voice."

the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren nodded at Samuel’s list. ”Mostly stories about mighty hunters and beasts, mostly meat, mostly bone and fur as near as I can.” Although the healer’s voice was far from certain, that was what he’d heard and observed so far. He glanced over at the redhead. ”And what are you interested in?” The question might’ve come out as slyly from some, or genuinely interested from others, but from the Launceleyn it was neither, just a question.

Nodding again, he shrugged at the other man's inquiry. "Yes, and probably one day. I'm still getting set up, to be honest. I'll be responsible for the health of all in the Citadel, presumably." Again, Loren wasn't quite convinced he was right, but it sounded correct.

As they ducked down a side street, he didn't bat an eye. "How'd you get involved in making books? And what sorts of tasks?" Again, the questions were almost curiously disinterested.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Sam laughed at Loren's quickly summarised list, though could confirm it sounded like what he'd heard so far about Halo. "You'll need more detail than that for the letters, but it'd be a good start. Just all the facts you can think of about it, so I can begin to turn them into a guide to Halo for the Atheneum." He'd already selected a leather; pale blue with a golden rub, giving it a metallic sheen.

"Well. I'd like to know more...I suppose less useful things. What's it like to live there? Do you like it? Do they worship the Old Gods?" He was sure that they didn't worship The Voice (though if they did, he'd be very happy indeed), but Sam was also skeptical enough of the Old Gods to believe they wouldn't be praised everywhere as unquestioningly as they were in the Ground.

Responsible for the health of all in the Citadel seemed like a very big responsibility, but Loren sounded confident enough he could handle it so Sam only nodded, looking down to make sure Mia was comfortable before turning back out onto another main street. "When I was 17...I began to sit in the market behind the stalls a lot, to hide from my father. An old man, Cornelius, the book maker...he saw me and asked if I'd like to learn the trade - I had nothing else to do, so I accepted. It was one of the better decisions of my life."

As for the second best: "I've been helping The Voice with her portals, mostly. The access to Halo and Torchline - we had a lot of exploring to do, a shrine to make."

the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren shrugged. ”That’s simple enough." Glancing over, he bit his lip. "I might demand information in exchange. Any medicines or legends you stumble upon, or any relevant developments in the Hollowed Ground, if that’s alright with you.” So, basically, he was offering to be pen pals, though there still wasn't any real enthusiasm or excitement in his voice.

However, what little normalcy might've cropped up in him over the course of the conversation drained away as Samuel asked the questions about life in Halo. "I don't know. I just moved, and I don't like anything right now." The answers came out more curtly than he'd intended, and he sighed. "They definitely worship the old gods. Or at least, there's a shrine to them in the Palace and out on the Sea of Glass." Still, even the healer's slight discomfort was barely noticeable in his still close to monotone voice.

Then they turned onto a main drag as the redhead began revealing more of his past. The Launceleyn glanced around just to make sure it was truly deserted. However, as the other man spoke, Loren found himself drawn to Samuel's features. "I'm glad you and Cornelius found each other. And I'm...sorry your relationship with your father was strained. At least, it sounds strained." The healer looked away, burying a hand in Astra's fur. "I learned how to make books on my own." It was soft, barely above a whisper.

Strangely enough, the conversation about The Voice and portals was more comfortable for him than the one about families and fathers. "I heard about the lightning. I take it that was your doing?" There was no anger or accusation in the comment, just the same dull tone he'd been speaking with for most of the discussion.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

"Absolutely. I love to write letters." Sam smiled, glad to have established some kind of connection. He had found he liked talking to Loren (even if he was a flat, miserable man at the moment) and Jigano would be pleased to have a constant stream of information between Halo and the Ground. "I will keep you as well informed as I can."

I don't like anything right now. Well, Sam knew how that felt. Nodding sympathetically, he was glad that Loren at least had been present enough to notice worship to the Old Gods. "I see. Then I might hold off on visiting the Citadel for a while, at least until we know they aren't hostile to Ascended...though I have seen several natives to Halo using the portals now, so if they know where they come from, they should be at least open to our ideas." He hoped. Then again, Amalia had gotten herself to Halo, hadn't she?

The streets were quiet, only the occasional lit window indicating any life in Sanctuary at all. Sam's house was only one more turn away and he found himself beginning to grow a little sad it wasn't a longer walk. Maybe it was cruel to want to prolong Loren's clear reluctantly to accompany him, but the man was decent enough conversation and Sam liked to think that he was possibly helping the Launceleyn by involving him in the discussion.

"Strained is certainly one word for it. I had reason to hide, at least." He sighed, not liking how many times his difficult bringing up and his father had come up recently (though maybe it was a mark of progress that he had been able to discuss it with so many people).

While Loren said it quietly, Sam was interested in his words, turning to look at him: "You make books too? I'd love to see some of your work - I could even sell them in my shop and give you the profit, if you'd like. We need more bookbinders in this town." He'd just been becrying the loss of his art in the Hollowed Ground; if more artisans of his kind existed, he wanted to gather them.

As for the lightning... "Well - not just mine. But I was involved, yes, in the making of the shrine, the work before it. The Voice does tend to complete things with...a lot of light." He smiled fondly at this.

the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren nodded at Samuel’s agreement. However, when he expressed concern about his reception at the Citadel, the healer shrugged. ”I don’t think anyone cares or really knows about the Ascended. And the Halovians are certainly open to new ideas. You should be fine, but if anyone gives you trouble you can always send them to me.” Although he still spoke in a less than enthusiastic tone, it was a genuine offer.

Happy to hear him sounding a bit more like his old self, Astra came closer for a head rub. He obliged, scratching behind her ears almost idly. However, he lowered his hand to his side as the redhead talked about his father. "I get it. We don't have to talk about it." Indeed, his eyes had grown maybe a little sad to hear of yet another broken family.

The other man's excitement caused the Launceleyn to look away. "I haven't made any in Caido, and I don't live here anymore." However, he bit his lip for a brief moment. "I used to be a librarian." That too came out quietly, and it was tinged with sorrow.

"Mmmmm." It was unclear how exactly Loren felt about The Voice's efforts, though clearly he didn't care or mind that much. "She must've been pleased. And you've already begun similar efforts in Torchline?" The questions still didn't have any curiosity or interest behind them, but he kept asking, trying not to let the silence grow too oppressive.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

"I can? I haven't met many people so willing to defend an Ascended they just met." Sam smiled, clearly quite liking the way Loren had (emotionless, as he seemed to do everything) sworn his protection.

Glad to not talk of his father, a subject Sam rarely pushed to be explored further, he instead focus on the shreds of Loren's past that were revealed; it was clear Loren was sad about his memories (though whether it was from missing them or remembering them at all was unclear), but Sam couldn't help but want to know more about someone that shared his passion for all things written word. "Well, I'd still love to see any work you do make and sell it. Please, feel free to tell me about your library. The Atheneum is in desperate need of organisation, if you have any ideas."

He awkwardly shook his head at the question. "Ah...no, not really. I left after Remi and I had our...argument. But eventually I'll head back for it, yes."

They passed the last few houses and were at Sam's door, the little house squished between two bigger ones as if it had been built just to fill the space, a small wooden door sunken into the wall. Sam stepped forward, placed his keys in the lock, then took a breath and turned: "Would...you like to come in for a little while?"

the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren just shrugged at Samuel’s smile and pleased response. ”I don’t like bullies. Or people who mistreat others simply because of who and what they are.” There was a bit of an edge to the healer’s voice, though even he couldn’t quite say what the source of it was.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t nearly as enthusiastic or happy as the redhead to be talking about the past. They had that much in common, at least. ”If I ever make a book again, I’ll let you know. As for my library it was...a library.” The Launceleyn shot the other man an inscrutable glance. ”I meant to organize the Atheneum before…” Loren swallowed against the sudden lump in his throat.

When he next spoke, his voice came out more than a bit awkwardly. ”Before I went crazy.” Astra nuzzled him, and though he rubbed her head, it didn’t help alleviate his sudden sorrow.

Thankfully, Samuel had his own awkwardness to deal with, which gave the Launceleyn ample time to get his emotions back under control. Giving the Ascended a puzzled look, the healer crossed his arms. ”I thought that was why I was here. To help with the painful memories.” He waved a hand vaguely.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Sam smiled, impressed and touched by Loren's moral code. "I agree." Perhaps he had misjudged the Launceleyns - except, Loren had said he wasn't one anymore, hadn't he? Maybe that was why he seemed halfway decent, nothing like their once-Queen.

This time, now that his initial excitement had passed, Sam heard the hesitation in Loren's voice and did not push further, only looking back with concern as he heard Loren's last words. The door now open, he took a step in then reached back to gently touch his wrist. "You're not crazy. You're quite lovely, actually." With an encouraging smile he walked in properly, since Loren had consented to it.

"I thought...you might not actually want to come in." He knelt down to let Mia go so she could wander, standing up to light various candles about the room. They were in a cosy living space, two armchairs surrounding a fire above which was a bare brick wall (a pale square on it, as if there had once been something hung, stood out) and a rug before it. Books lined every wall, piling up in groups of fives and tens, sometimes more. "Make yourself comfortable..ah...would you like a drink?" Sam asked, clearly unsure of how to look after Loren as a guest.