watching the tide roll away (open)
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
saiden
Saiden continued grinning at her. "Well, I'm sorry to hear that." Sitting down, he stretched out his legs so they were in the water even as it ebbed to its lowest point. As the water on her hands froze he raised his eyebrows but made no comment.

Instead, he just turned to stare out at the ocean, watching the ships bobbing and the gulls circling. An opportunistic Hel swooped down to gobble the guts he'd left behind but he made no move to defend them. "Maybe you've been playing your game with the wrong player." There was an obviously open invitation in the words, though he didn't stir from his comfortable spot.
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Don't paint wonderful lies on me that wash away
She remained standing, and turned to look out over the sea. The breeze pulled at the lightweight fabric of her shawl, and caused the tattered tendrils of the edges to billow and sway. As if moved by some erratic being. Anyone who had encountered Ludo might draw curious parallells by it... but the girl didn't seem to even notice. Only pulled the cloth down further, to better shield her from the light.

The comment made her snort, a quiet huff of sad amusement. "Oh, I've no doubt. Nothing about it was ever right. " A slight shrug. "I doubt there's ever a right one, anyway."

What a ridiculous thing. To stand here and talk about it with a complete stranger, not even knowing his name. It was all far too similar to the start of a different mess, and Maea was none too happy about it. But the tide was still high, and apparently her little display was very close to being a miracle... so she was fairly trapped. Couldn't walk away even if she wanted to.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
saiden
As the woman spoke a bit sadly, Saiden just continued to grin easily. He patted the sand next to him, though not at all insistently, just letting her know she was welcome to join him. "I don't know about that." Tone still a bit flirtatious, he pulled one knee to his chest, letting the other stay in the water.

"How many players have you been with, to make you so sure that it's always going to be wrong?" Then he laughed, the sound bright. "And if it was the other meaning of the word player, which is what it sounds like, I wouldn't let that ruin the game for you forever." He spoke coaxingly, as if trying to draw her in like a wild animal.
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
She gave him a long look, halfway between suspicious and amused. Then she actually came over, but sat down well out of arms reach with her legs pulled up and arms around the knees. Skirt prudently pulled down over her legs.

"Just the one," the girl admitted, though did not inform him that it never got as far as to say she'd even 'been with' anyone at all. She didn't think he needed any encouragement, the man was brazen enough as it was. "Forgive me though, if I'm not too keen on trying again. I don't think I much enjoy the game at all."

Too personal, too much at stake. Maea was not so fond of pain that she went hunting for it of her free will.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
As the woman came to sit down, Saiden grinned. With that he lay on his back, fingers tracing lazy circles on his chest. "You're forgiven." He turned his head so he could look at her better. "And we don't have to do anything. Like I said, your rules." With that, he went back to staring at the sky, eyes tracking the clouds as they passed.

He was only silent for a little while. "I am sorry that this man took the fun out of the game for you, though. And I hope you play again some day." He made the comments idly, though he was still watching her out of the corner of his eyes.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Ah. So he had been trying to coax her into something like it. At least she was beginning to learn the turns of this particular kind of dance. It wasn't one she had to navigate very often, but she was a quick learner. And easily burned.

"You seem awfully eager, for someone who hasn't even introduced himself," she remarked, somewhat dryly. Her face might be mostly hidden by the shawl, but the uncomfortable way she shifted hinted that she was troubled by his words.

"Do you always come on to people like this?" Almost an accusation, definitely a complaint, if somewhat weak.
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
Saiden laughed again, still tracing circles on his chest. "What's not to be eager about?" Turning onto his side, he propped his head in his hand again, draping his other across his stomach. "If an introduction is all you needed, I can do that. I'm Saiden." He reached out his free hand for her to shake.

However, he shook his head at her question. "No." Then he grinned at her. "Just the ones I think are worth it." With that, he rolled onto his back again, though this time he put his hands behind his head. Lying there, he stared at the sky that was almost impossibly blue as the water lapped at his feet.
Maea Valair

Change author:
The way she looked at the outstretched hand suggested wariness, suspicion, a world of caution. But it would be rude not to... so she reached out and took his hand, his fingers surprisingly warm against her own cool skin. "Maea," she returned, saying her name. Then she withdrew rather hastily, before that simple touch could turn into anything more dangerous.

Blushing under the implication of his answers, she shook her head and looked out to the sea, hands sifting through the sand.

"I don't understand. How could you know that when you've only just met a person? You can't possibly know all about them in a single glance."
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
Luckily for Maea, Saiden's grip was firm and polite, nothing more. He grinned as she pulled her hand back a little too quickly. "Nice to meet you Maea." It was clear he wasn't bothered by her actions in the slightest.

When she asked how he knew when someone was worth it, his grin broadened. "I think you might be overthinking this." He shrugged. "You're powerful, helpful, and beautiful. What more do I need to know about you in order to think it's worth asking you to have a little fun?" Indeed, although he was back to flirting, there was also a genuine confusion in his voice, and his brow had furrowed a little.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea was just as confused at being the target of such compliments. They did not really fit, she felt. Never before had anyone called her powerful, or indeed helpful. Not even Sunjata had said anything about her being pretty... though perhaps it was implied as he couldn't seem to keep his hands off her.

"You exaggerate," she objected, waving a hand as if to dismiss the nice words entirely. "And I just... don't really see the fun in leaving yourself exposed to strangers. It sounds like it's bound to become painful."

It said a lot about her lack of trust in people. Lack of confidence in herself too, perhaps, as she didn't believe she could keep herself safe when left at the mercy of others.
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
As Maea complained that he was being too complimentary, Saiden laughed and shook his head. ”Not at all.” He lifted his hands and started ticking off his fingers. ”You are clearly a powerful mage, you helped me with my fish, and anyone can tell you’re attractive.” Letting his hands flop back to his chest, he grinned at her.

Shrugging, he sat up, giving her a curious look. "It's only painful if you let it hurt you." He leaned back a bit, putting his hands behind him to prop himself up. It wasn't at all threatening. "Like you said, as long as both people agree to the rules, it can be fun, believe me." His eyes smoldered again, though his voice was more friendly than flirty.
Maea Valair

Change author:
She scowled as he insisted, repeating the words despite their inability to truly sink in. Refusing to argue though, she shrugged and let him believe what he wished. Pulled off her shoes, to give herself something to do rather than look at him.

"Well. Just goes to show how bad my luck is," she mumbled. One offer in over twenty years, and it turns out to be from a player. No, make that two; she did not for one second believe that Saiden was at all interested in respecting rules.

Curling her toes into the sand, Maea sighed. Wished the tide would turn, so she could escape this conversation. It did very little to brighten her mood.
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
Saiden turned to face Maea more fully, though he didn't actually move closer to her, just stayed right where he was, planted in the sand. "Luck is what we make of it. And you can always turn yours around." Surprisingly, his voice was almost gentle.

"Listen, I meant what I said. I will respect your rules." Grinning, his voice took on a flirtatious tone once more. "But I think you're cute, so I'd be remiss if I didn't try one last time." He switched to a sultry whisper. "You can do whatever you want to me, ask me to do whatever you want to you, and I promise it won't go any further than that." Despite his flirting, he was being totally honest about that.

"Even if what you want is for me to leave you alone." That came out in a normal and friendly tone.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Well that was certainly direct, and to the point. For all that she blushed at the open invitation, Maea had to give him credit for not giving up.

His boldness was rewarded by her turning towards him. Pale eyes seemed to finally look at him, absorbing everything about this sun-kissed, sand-touched man of the sea. There was something very open and honest about him, a lightness to him that was quite different from the brooding darkness she had learned to expect in someone's gaze. Maea realized that any other day, any other time, she might have taken him up on the offer. How different would things have been if this had been her first encounter with a smiling rogue? Would she still be hurting, if she'd met Saiden a little earlier?

It was a pointless line of thinking, unfortunately.

"It's a generous offer, and quite tempting," she admitted, and the shy smile she gave him told the truth of her words. "It's just... unfortunate timing. Too soon, you understand? Perhaps... if nothing changes, I might take you up on it, though?"

She felt bold for saying it, despite the feeling in her gut that told her she probably wouldn't come seek him out, no matter how much time passed. It just wasn't her way. It seemed very unlikely that they would bump into one another again by accident, too.