Training somethings never die
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
OLIVER
The little water motion did cause his eyes to flicker over to the barrel briefly before they soon landed back on Loren. "Give me until LongNight, then we can have another session. Seeing as it is the anniversary of me discovering my magic." It only seemed fair that Loren did another little sparring session with him during the events. Then again, what was Loren going to be doing during LongNight this year? What was LongNight even like in Halo?

With a shake of his head, Oliver sighed. "No, I don't think that'll work... gods. I don't know. I mean, I want to make something, maybe? I am surely not going to be a writer or a general like Deimos. I also am not going to be a healer... but there has to be something for me, right? Is there anything you think of that is in short supply? Maybe- maybe I could even somehow help you or Neron out in Halo." It was wishful thinking, but Oliver wanted something. He wanted to have a title. Everyone else was known for something except for him. People like Amalia and Remi had their place in Caido, but him? For the time being, he seemed to just be wandering, trading whenever he could with whatever he could scrounge up. It was embarrassing, especially seeing as he had been there for such a long time.

The explanation is... suitable. It does line up with the events of LongNight from what he had gathered, but it doesn't explain everything. There was a clear raise of his eyebrow and Oliver leaned forward ever so slightly. "I mean... if you had said anyone other than Sunjata? I'd absolutely believe you... but I just cant believe that Sunjata would suddenly say 'ah yes, burning down this bar has turned me on enough to no longer be straight." And of course, Oliver did his very best impression of Sunjata's accent. It was playful, clearly, and Oliver wasn't taking this too seriously. Shaking his head, the smile dropped and he looked Loren dead in the eyes. "If it did happen, then thank you for being open with me." And if not? Then he was right. For the time being, he'd hide his disbelief and just be happy that Loren had chose to trust him enough to be so honest... if he was honest. Even just joking around was a good sign.

What Loren brought to him was less than what he wanted, but he'd have to work with what he was given. Placing the paper down, Oliver proceeded to rub the charcoal on his finger before pressing down his finger multiple times on the page. "Think of it like this. I just stamped my finger on the page. You can see that I could make multiple ones, right? What if we could do that with books! No longer handwriting, we could make them easier for people to get. Allow for say, people in the Hollowed Grounds to learn properly about Halo. It's also nice since we have a nasty habit of things setting on fire in Caido."
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
TO BE MORE THAN TREMBLING
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
They say blood makes you related but
loyalty makes you family
Nodding, Loren bit his lip. "I'm not going to be in the Hollowed Ground for LongNight." It came out almost bluntly, without a hint of apology.

"Why wouldn't that work?" Shaking his head, he leaned forward and fixed Oliver with the healer's best stern look. "If you keep comparing yourself to others, trying to find out where you'd make the biggest difference, and coming up with excuses for why things won't work instead of just pursuing what you think you'd be most passionate about you'll never be satisfied." He pointed his finger at his fellow hybrid. "Just do what you care about, and I promise other people will care too." There wasn't a hint of doubt in the Launceleyn's voice.

Narrowing his eyes, he shrugged at the other man's words. "You're welcome." Loren took a sip of his cider, clearly unbothered by Oliver's disbelief. The healer did snort at his fellow hybrid's impression of Sunjata.

Leaning forward, the Launceleyn's brow furrowed in concentration as the other man tried to explain. Pressing his lips together, Loren glanced up at Oliver. "Okay, but, how?" The healer's continuing confusion was evident.
LOREN
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
OLIVER
That's right. Loren was a resident of Halo now, so why would he spend time in the Temple again? "What's LongNight like out here in Halo? Do they deal with the same kind of monsters as us?" It was an interesting topic, at least in Oliver's eyes. The least Loren could do was inform him about the situation so Oliver wouldn't be super worried about it.

The sudden tone and almost rant came off as a surprise. Looking down, Oliver felt a bit ashamed. Embarrassed. "I guess I just want to do something important... but if you really are confident that if I follow what I enjoy, that others would respect that? Then okay... I'll try." The last thing he needed was a man like Amun busting in and just being an asshole. Talking about how useless he was, that his activities were pointless. That Caido would be better off with him gone- It sure sounded like something someone would eventually think.

There is a clear eyeroll, as if all of this is simply super obvious. "We get a stamp! Or something! I mean, yeah, it'll probably take a long time to make, but think of it! If I can make a copy of my finger, then surely we can make a copy of other things. Books must be able to be made easier if we did that, right?" It sure sounded easier than handwriting. Then again, seeing as two people disliked his idea, maybe it was to crazy? "I don't know... but give me some time, okay? I'll come back to you if I get any progress." Mostly just so he would hopefully be able to avoid an unnecessary lecture.
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
loyalty makes you family
Taking a sip from his cider, Loren shrugged. "No monsters. Just a week of darkness. At least, that's what I heard." He gave  Oliver an understanding look. "You're welcome to stay here." The offer came out in an idle tone, but it was genuine.

Nodding, the healer smiled faintly, but reassuringly, at his fellow hybrid. "I am confident, yes." Indeed, the Launceleyn sounded quite certain.

Narrowing his eyes, he pointed a finger at the other man. "Don't give me that. I've always been shit at this sort of thing, but I'm still trying to help." Loren took another sip from his cup before setting it on the counter. "I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm saying I am having trouble picturing how it would work. But if you come up with an idea, I'm all ears."
LOREN
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
How... intriguing. No monsters? At all? "Wait... if there's no monsters, shouldn't we possibly see if Neron can host some people? Maybe families with children, to ensure that they stay safe." It was a lot to ask for and Oliver would gladly do any negotiation. This was clearly shown through a new bout of confidence that clearly reflected in Oliver's eyes. "If need be, I will talk to him. I can even volunteer to repay him in whatever means necessary, but if you have no monsters, then wouldn't it be wise to host some people from The Hollowed Ground?" Hopefully his requests would at least be heard from by the King- Lord? Chancellor? Whatever Neron was, hopefully Loren would allow the man to hear from Oliver. To at least try to make a difference. Even just hosting five families would be better than nothing.

The blonde lets out a soft sigh. If Loren really was confident... then maybe he would try to work something out. "Alright, but you better at least help me a bit with setting up whatever it is I'm gonna do. I'll send you a letter or message or something when I finally figure my shit out." After all, Loren did owe him a visit for his anniversary of being in Caido. It was going to be such a fun celebration where they probably just drank and ate food. Then again, wasn't that what they were already doing?

Just to add to that idea, Oliver almost chugged the cider completely. "Sorry, Loren. But you aren't shit, trust me. I'm just- ugh." He finished off the cider before setting it to the side. "My ideas are... maybe too far ahead of these times. I already know that where I came from, we were at least slightly more advanced than here- so maybe that's just a carry over from where I originally came from." It was hard at times and meant that Oliver's ideas may not be original nor would they even be plausible in such a place as this one. Hopefully Loren would be able to understand and forgive him for snapping out and fantasizing about the impossible.
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
As Oliver started speaking quickly about LongNight, Loren held up his hands in the hopes of stemming the flow of words. "Way ahead of you. I've already offered to host people here. So long as they bring extra supplies for the week they'll stay here, it shouldn't be a problem." He actually smiled, hoping it was reassure his fellow hybrid.

Nodding, the healer picked up his cider again. "Of course." He held up the cup in a toast, then drained it.

Shrugging, he spun his now empty cup between his palms. "You'd be better off speaking to someone else about this, honestly. Maybe Deimos."
LOREN
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
What he didn't entirely expect was for Loren to actually agree- or less agree and more confirm that the idea was already set into motion. Oliver's eyes lit up and he offered the man a smile. "Really? That's fantastic! Would you mind if I tried to spread the word around myself?" Great news! Of course, Oliver would absolutely try to help support those who couldn't get the supplies and cover them himself. It only seemed fair that he do it. "Do you know what Torchline is like during LongNight yet? Maybe we could try to work with them to also house people? I don't want to put too much stress on you and Neron," It was really too bad that the Fae couldn't offer any sort of housing. Yeah, Oliver understood their reservations, but damn did it really suck.

There is a cross of a smile on his lips and he gives a toast to the man in response. Loren was someone who he could trust and go to. He was someone that Oliver felt like he could really say anything to or show anything to just about. The man had been with him almost since he first arrived and he was happy that their relationship had become what it had today. It was fantastic and really amazing. "Who knows, maybe by then I'll even have all my memories back. Now that would give us something to talk about." If only, but for now, his memories were the least of his worries.

Maybe Loren was right, yeah. It could be best to speak about Deimos. At least that was better than going to speak to Remi who was absolutely not ready to speak to, well, anyone. At least, not to anyone about anything of that sort. "Yeah, I think I'll bring it up to him." Eventually. As much as Oliver wanted to make books, Deimos and him weren't exactly friends. They weren't enemies either, but due to how quiet and stoic the man was, Oliver felt way too intimidated to even ask him for something like that. Maybe once they developed a relationship, he'd actually feel ready to do something like that, but now? Hell no.

"Is there possibly any more cider?" Might as well enjoy the time he had here. Hopefully Loren wouldn't mind Oliver drinking for a bit longer. "You know, I wouldn't mind a tour if you would like to give me one. Show me more of the castle or something, the library and your new life is like." Yep, Oliver was tipsy.
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
Shaking his head, Loren smiled faintly. "Not at all. Why would I mind?" Again, he shook his head at Oliver's questions. "I don't. I don't think they'd be quite as friendly as us, but it's worth asking them." However, the healer couldn't help his doubt from slipping through his link to his fellow hybrid.

"Looking forward to it." The Launceleyn's tone was lightly amused. However, he gave the other man an encouraging nod.

Nodding, Loren took the cup from Oliver. Bringing both cups over to the cauldron of cider, the healer refilled both. Handing the other hyrbid's back, the Launceleyn sipped from his own. At the request for a tour, he raised his eyebrows. However, eventually he nodded. "Follow me." With that, he took a long sip from his cider before leading the other man out of the kitchen.
LOREN
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
There is a light shrug and Oliver cant really say much. "I don't know, I was worried you'd be mad if I told too many people and you become overwhelmed." That would be bad. What if Loren only wanted a select few people here and Oliver ruined it by spreading the word? Hopefully Loren would understand his concerns and wouldn't see it as something small and inconsequential. "True... I guess I am really lucky to have you, huh?" Oliver offers Loren a wide smile before leaning back, clearly very relaxed and calm around Loren, despite any signs of frustration or being hurt. Loren was easy to relax around and really, it wasn't hard to overcome any problems that would arise between the two of them, at least on Oliver's end. "I'll send you a letter when I find out more about Torchline." Oliver nods to the man and seemingly ends the conversation on that note, satisfied with the results.

A tap of his fingers on the table and he lets out a light hum. Maybe by the next time they see each other, Oliver truly would have something good to speak about... maybe.

With a flicker of amusement, Oliver was satisfied with Loren's... real lack of a response. It was a short one, but it was exactly what he desired. Standing up, Oliver made sure to take a long swig of the cider before following after him, making sure to keep up but also try his best to look as professional as possible. Back straight and quiet footsteps, hoping to not impede on anything around them.
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
As Oliver explained his concern, Loren just shrugged it away. "We have space. So long as they bring supplies it should be alright." He gave his fellow hybrid an amused look. "I imagine you'll have a difficult time convincing people to come stay here anyway. It's not like Halo is pleasant during Deepfrost, from everything I've heard."

Letting out a huff of bitter laughter, the healer shook his head. "I wouldn't count your blessings yet." Tone wry and self-deprecating, his mouth twisted into a mockery of a smile.

Nodding at the mention of a letter, he just led the other man on the tour. Not pointing out any of the sparse decorations, he stopped in front of a hallway leading to what was clearly a school. "This is the Arcane Academy, which I told you about."
LOREN
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
The blonde nods and already, the gears are swiftly turning in his head. "Tell anyone that if they cant find enough supplies that I will help them. Send them to me and I will do anything in my power to make sure that those who wish to leave are able to do so." Was Oliver possibly over-extending himself? Nah! When would he ever do something like that? It wouldn't be too hard to do some extra hunting or maybe offer his services to get extra food. Surely it wouldn't be too hard either to get more firewood or whatever else it is that Loren would wish for them to bring. Nah, not too much work at all. "I know it'll be a lot different this LongNight if people do come here... then again, I've only really experienced one LongNight." There is the faintest of smiles on Oliver's face, but it's mostly a forced one. Last LongNight was far from great, but the great parts came from having so many people together. Now? Well... fuck....

There is a slight lean in Oliver's step as he tries to peer in closer to the academy. How interesting and yet so unique. If only Loren was more willing to let him see more. Oh well. Moving to stand back closer to Loren, Oliver offered him a nod. "Is there a library too? Separate from the Academy? And what about your medical section?" Clearly someone had some unique interests.
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
Nodding at Oliver's words, Loren ran a hand through his hair. "That's very thoughtful of you, but it's not the supplies that are the issue. It's people's stubborn beliefs." He shook his head. "That they don't have to take extra precautions, or that they've survived every year until now and it won't be any different." Tone sad, he just sighed.

Biting his lip, he shrugged. "Again, I'm not expecting much. But LongNight will always be terrible until we find a permanent solution to the monsters." However, he didn't sound as if he thought that would ever happen.

"There is a library, but they don't have much about medicine." With that, he led his fellow hybrid towards a nearby set of stairs. The healer descended them, then led the other man through a winding series of hallways. Finally, the Launceleyn stopped at a door. Opening it, he revealed the modest library that the Palace boasted.
LOREN
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
A frown slowly forms on the blonde's face as Loren breaks the cold hard truth to him. No longer is it plausible for Oliver to do anything, it is now seemingly out of his hands. "Well... I'll just continue to try and help prepare then... I really hope that some people will come to Halo and that they'll be safe if not." Oliver still wasn't sure what he was doing and his main priority was to make sure as many people were safe as possible. No, he wasn't about to go running outside to slay a bunch of monsters, but he could certainly help in many other ways than just that.

The idea of a permanent solution was far too optimistic for Oliver's liking. "I don't know if that'll ever happen... but maybe eventually we will be blessed with a life such as that one." Will he ever even live to see that day? Hopefully... he'd love to be able to see such a difference in his life. All he could really do, though, was to continue to try and protect others... to make sure that he saved as many lives as he could.

Loren wasn't exactly excited about the library, but Oliver was pretty excited. So safe to say when Loren brought him inside, Oliver immediately walked over to a shelf and started to read the titles on the spines. "Have you taken the time to read any yet? I... do you think any of these may be helpful to us?" There was a moment of silence before Oliver realized how vague that was. "Sorry, I mean. Do you think any of them could help people in the Hollowed Ground?"
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
Nodding at Oliver's words, Loren sent a pulse of reassurance to his fellow hybrid. "If they come, we'll make sure they're safe." The healer's voice was firm on that point.

Shrugging, he ran a hand through his hair. "Everyone could leave the Hollowed Ground for one week out of an entire year. Stranger things have happened." However, he sounded anything but certain that would ever happen.

Shaking his head, he pulled out one of the nearest volumes, which was just a ledger of trades made in the past few years. "I have, and sorry, they won't be. They're specific to Halo, mostly, and the collection in the Atheneum is far more extensive and far more useful than anything you could find here." He gave the other man an apologetic smile.

Then the Launceleyn gestured for the exit. "Shall we continue the tour?" He'd wait patiently if Oliver wanted more time to examine the admittedly small library.
LOREN