Now take it in, but don't look down
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
MAEA
She looked askance at her friend, a reluctant smile tugging at her lips. "I rather doubt it... at least, I very much hope that wasn't the case. Or everything he's claimed so far about wanting to help me get well will sound very much like an excuse." Not to mention, she couldn't really see why biting her would be very interesting at all. Maea wasn't used to people looking at her like she was anything other than a freak of nature, and certainly didn't expect any attention of that sort.

Her expression softened when Loren asked about her and Sunjata however, and the smile became warmer, more genuine. "Things are going well," she said earnestly. "More than well, actually. He's been rather down ever since the dragon hunt, for obvious reasons... But the shrine is restored now, and he's talking about moving to Torchline." Adding another note to the journal, Maea paused and pushed a lock of hair behind her ear, then glanced up at Loren.

"He... asked me to come with him." There was a light in her eyes, of the 'insanely happy, cannot believe it' kind.
I'm an angel bored like hell
And you're a devil meaning well
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Love mends even the broken parts
Raising his eyebrows at Maea's reply, Loren eventually shrugged. "Well, from what I've heard Nate isn't exactly the most trustworthy or reliable person. Or doctor." The words came out with a wry humor, and he gave her a sympathetic look. Astra, feeling ignored, pressed herself against his side and he rubbed her head obligingly.

However, he ended up hugging his luxere close when Maea described how well things were going, and the bartender's invitation to move to Torchline. Something in the healer's chest tightened, and he swallowed against the sudden lump in his throat. "I take it you're planning to go with him?" There was something quiet and tentative in the Launceleyn's voice.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
"Well, that's reassuring to hear," she scowled, and aimed a playful punch to his shoulder. "Leave it to me to find the most snakeoil doctor there is... Good thing I've got you to ensure something is done right." Maea scratched Astra's neck to make up for the sudden movements, assuring she meant no harm.

She didn't quite notice the tentative nature of his question though, just nodded happily. "Whenever I'm not in Halo for class, I'll be going to Torchline. Can't say I mind leaving the Grounds, it's honestly a relief to be away from there... I keep expecting the portals to disappear between one visit and the next. I'd hate being trapped there again, can't stand the thought." Flipping a page, she began to sketch out some drifting clouds; it wasn't strictly speaking a necessary observation, but suited her high spirits and sense of new freedom.

"Seems like he's going to make a boxing ring, for starters... Sunjata said you might find that interesting?" She glanced over to Loren, a brow raised in question over her smile.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Raising his eyebrows at the punch, Loren just shrugged. "He did sleep with a patient, as I understand it, and cheated on his partner in the process. Also he has taught all of one of the classes he was supposed in the year I've been enrolled in the Medical College. I'm not sure what you were expecting." Tone wry, he waggled his fingers at Maea in a silly way intended to symbolize magic. "Something like that." His self-doubt was evident in his voice.

Nodding slowly, he found himself hugging Astra tighter. When she bleated in protest, he sighed and relaxed his grip. "Sorry." Trying and failing to meet the pale-skinned woman's gaze, he turned his attention to his map instead, studying its lines intently. "Well, I'm happy for you two. Are you ah, moving in together?" The words came out quietly embarrassed, and he ran a sheepish hand through his hair.

Letting out a huff of laughter, he shook his head slightly. "I'm not sure we should be encouraging my more destructive tendencies." He flashed her a guilty smile.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Maea winced. She knew quite well whom the patient was Nate had slept with - they both did, as a matter of fact - though she hadn't known Nate had had been cheating too. It wasn't exactly... encouraging. "Apparently, I'm naive enough to believe people when they say they are proffessionals," she mumbled. "At least you're not a hoax... There's no arguing against your magic and its efficacy.. I haven't been ill once since you started treating me regularly. It has to count for something, right?"

Maea did look up as Astra bleated, unsure why. Or why Loren wasn't looking at her. Was she rubbing her happiness in, somehow? She tried to put a damper on it, knowing how irritating it could be when things went well for people around, while you got nowhere. "Thank you," she told him warmly. It did mean a lot to hear him say it. "I'm... not entirely sure? He didn't say as much, but... I'm probably going to end up staying with him regardless, so.." She shrugged, rather unconcerned. As long as she had a roof to sleep under and somewhere to eat, Maea didn't care much about the arrangements. She would still have her room in the VlamVloed and at the Academy, and owned so few possessions these days that it was quite easy to keep a bag packed. Not having a permanent home bothered her far less than it had in the past.

She brightened when Loren actually smiled, his laughter so rare that she found it all the more precious. "Why, perhaps that's exactly what you need," she countered, grinning back. "There would be rules. No magic, no shifts... just your hands. How much damage can you possibly do to yourself or others? It might be fun, you should come try it. You're always welcome to join us, wherever we are, you know." This time, as she reached out a hand for him, it was to touch his shoulder in a warm, lingering gesture. Fond, quietly affectionate, just like her smile.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren grinned weakly at Maea's comment. "Don't worry there's still time for me to disappoint you." Tone self-deprecating, he felt the grin slipping away from his lips. Shrugging, he added another line to his map. "I don't know." Biting his lip, he gave Maea a considering look. "I can ask Nate or Phoebe about your condition for you, if you'd rather not speak with them yourself." It was a tentative offer, but genuine.

Raising his eyebrows, he gave her another faint smile. "Might be worth clarifying. He could be confused too. When Abasi—" His breath caught in his throat, eyes flashing with pain for a moment. Swallowing, he continued in a softer voice. "When he asked me to move in with him, he was really nervous, and I didn't believe it at first." He reached up a hand to brush his slightly watery eyes.

Glancing back at her, he tilted his head to the side. "Quite a bit?" He was a bit incredulous and bemused that she'd even asked that question. "Have you ever actually seen a boxing match?"

However his amusement faltered at Maea's offer. Pressing his lips together, he looked away. "Thanks but...I imagine you two won't really want me hanging around." Reaching out, he scratched under Astra's chin.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Maea gave him a stern look, as if to say that he definitely would not disappoint. But arguing about it would get her nowhere - pick your battles - so she let him believe what he wanted and chewed on her lip, considering his offer instead. Facing either of the medics would be uneasy, for different reasons (though not entirely unrelated, funnily enough) so in all honesty, Loren's offer was a welcome one. "I... hate feeling like I'm running away from it, but... If you could, I would be grateful," she answered. "I'm not sure I'm ready to face Phoebe yet... in comparison, Nate is a minor inconvenience."

She shrugged at the topic of the boxing, thinking of the bar brawls she'd seen. "People punching each other with their fists, yes? I've not seen a match, no, but... Why, is it that dangerous?"

Noticing the hitch in his voice, the way his eyes watered, Maea nodded in quiet sympathy. Understood how easy it might be to let misunderstandings take root, and grow into thorny vines that would make trouble down the line. "I will," she assured him. "And I meant what I said. I don't know if you've noticed, but we're both rather fond of you. Of course you're welcome, Loren. Sunjata would be happy to have you around more, as would I."
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
Immediately, Loren nodded in agreement. "Of course. I'll speak to them." There wasn't a hint of hesitation, and he gave Maea an understanding look.

However, it morphed it a slightly amused expression as she revealed how little she knew about boxing. "Yes. People can die from getting punched with fists. Or get concussed, or lose their teeth, or break their bones." He shrugged, honestly not bothered by the prospect so much as confused why she thought this was anything but a violent bloodsport.

As she reiterated that she and Sunjata wouldn't mind the healer's presence, he sighed. ”People keep saying that but…” His voice trailed off and he sighed. ”I just, I don’t know. Their words don’t always match their actions.” Feeling embarrassed and awkward (and no doubt looking it too), he hugged Astra again, taking comfort from her that he still felt he had no right to.

"Very few people actually seek me out for my company. Even my so-called friends. And I...I know I'm not the easiest person to get along with. And I'm sorry about that. I just...wish I didn't have to be the one putting myself out there all the time." It came out quietly, spoken more to himself than her.

Then he shook his head. "Don't worry too much about me though. I'm more used to being on my own than having other people around anyway." He tried to give her a reassuring smile though he wasn't sure how successful he was.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
A grateful smile was offered at his swift agreement to help her navigate around these difficult waters. Probably he wouldn't believe her if she told him, but Maea was relieved to have his support. Facing all of this alone, complicated relations aside, would have been... frightening, to say the least.

As he revealed the dangers of the boxing however, her expression darkened into a frown of concern. "He didn't tell me this," she said, chewing on her lip again - it had started looking quite sore by now. "On Sunjata it sounded like all fun and games, nothing to worry about... But if it's this rough, then... I feel we're going to need a healer around. Just in case anything goes wrong."

She was about to offer Loren the spot, if he was interested, but his downcast words made her hold back, swallow them down along with a big lump of leaden guilt. Maea looked down on her hands, ink-flecked and small, unsure of what to say.

"I'm sorry," was all she could think of, knowing it wasn't enough. Oh, she hated this kind of thinking. 'Yes, I'm hurting, and you're part of the reason why. But don't worry, I'm used to it'... As if that somehow made her neglect more excusable. As if she would feel better, worry less, because she was adding to his burdens by doing exactly like everyone else. "I.. don't really have a very good reason for not seeking you out more often. Except.. not being used to having friends, so sometimes I wonder whether I'd really be welcome, or just a nuisance. But those are just excuses.."
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
Hesitating, Loren bit his lip. "It might...there might be rules to prevent serious injury. Maybe there are no blows to the head allowed." His voice was uncertain, and he found himself awkwardly stroking Astra's fur in a desperate attempt not to look at Maea.

However, he had to glance up at her, shocked at her apology. "Sorry. I didn't mean you." His voice was apologetic, as was the tentative smile he gave her. "In fact, you're probably the person I see the most. And you, Jigano, and Sam are the only ones who've actually come to see me. Everyone else...I just ran into them by accident. Or sought them out." Despite his best efforts, he couldn't help his tone from growing a little bitter at that admission.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Rules were good. Rules were great. Maea nodded in fervent agreement that rules would very much be appreciated. "I like that. What other precautions could be taken? I'm worried about people cheating, using weapons and magic even though it wouldn't be allowed. Can you think of any way to prevent that, or enforce the issue if it happens?" She could still feel the scar on Sunjata's hip, that he'd happily showed her, revealing it to be a knife brought into a ring to take him out.

She did brighten a little when Loren assured Maea wasn't part of the problem. As much as she liked to hear it though, she had to sigh a little. "Loren... don't take this the wrong way, but... I recall you left a message on the Notice Board, that said you were leaving the Grounds.

"You don't think... people are just trying to respect your wish for privacy? They know you're mourning, and perhaps... perhaps they think their presence would just make it worse for you. Remind you of the things that are painful and sad."

She wouldn't go so far as to say he had himself to blame, because he was right in that people should make a better show of support.. but whom did he expect to show? Amalia had been paralyzed until just a few days ago, Deimos stuck by her side. Phoebe..? Likely caught in her own trauma. As for others... Maea didn't know who else he spent his time with. Who his friends were. "You're so private sometimes..." she sighed, with a rueful smile.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren blinked at Maea's question. "Uhhh." Scratching the back of his head, he shrugged. "You can search people for weapons, I suppose. Make them strip before entering the ring so they can't hide them anywhere. Magic and shifts are tougher, because you'd have to get someone to enchant the ring to prevent their use." Biting his lip, he tilted his head to one side. "As for other precautions, you could put people in armor. Except, weapons. So, um, maybe wrap their hands to blunt the impact a bit?" He gave her an apologetic smile.

Sighing, he buried his head in his hands. "Probably. And I know this is selfish and self-centered of me, since other people have their own problems to deal with."

Lowering his hands, he rested them on Astra, who snuggled closer to him. "But I said I was leaving the Hollowed Grounds. Not its people." He couldn't keep the hurt from his voice. "And only then because I knew if I just left without saying anything it would be...too much like the last time I disappeared." Glancing away, he felt a stricken expression steal over his features. "But it felt too hard to...say goodbye to everyone individually."

Resting his chin on the luxere's back, he found himself once more unable to meet the pale woman's gaze. "It's just...tough. When people say they'll be there when you need them and then they're...not." Smiling sadly, he cleared his throat. "Even if it's all my fault that they're not there." It came out in a guilty whisper.

Lifting his head, he finally gazed at Maea directly again. "I know. I just...don't like talking about myself. For a variety of reasons." Running a nervous hand through his hair, he shifted his weight awkwardly. "What would you like to know?" It was hesitant, and he took a deep breath to steel himself for her questions.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
His suggestions were all good, and would take some thinking on. "I quite like the idea of enchanting the ring," she mused, fixating on that particular idea. "I'll definitely suggest that part, because I know Sunjata wants to keep things strictly to fists. And I'd be much happier to know that's the only kind of damage people will do to each other."

Finding it quite hard to focus on the work, Maea set her tools aside and pulled her legs up to the chest, settling for just admiring the view and speaking to her friend instead. "I'm not saying it's all your fault," she objected, "but you certainly did not invite them to come looking either. People aren't always that good at reading between the lines. I know it's hard when people don't show up when you want them to, or even when you need them most, but... It doesn't mean they don't care. There will always be circumstances to keep them away, especially when you've removed yourself from their proximity. Not that many have cause to go to Halo, and more people still are hesitant to use the portals. Gods, even I am, even though I've tried to set those feelings aside..."

She dragged restless fingers through her hair, not sure where she was going with this. On the one hand, yes, Loren was right. But on the other... if he didn't open for communication, then people just wouldn't show up. It was a sad reality that no one was desperate for the presence of people who did not put themselves out there. Sometimes, 'coincidence' and 'running into each other' was all you could hope for, and after that.. it was up to both parties to decide to pick up the threads again.

But despite all that, Maea still had to smile at Loren when he claimed not to like talking about himself. A little ironic, considering their past conversations, perhaps... but she chose not to call him out on it. "Oh, I don't know. Everything? What did you do before coming to Caido? How did you become so damned strong in such a short timespan? What do you actually enjoy doing? Before, you know, when you actually enjoyed things."

A gentle tease, hoping to help him laugh at this misery he was mired in. He was in fairly high spirits, all things considered... he had smiled, and laughed. Just a good day, or signs of progress?

It was too early to tell.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren bit his lip at Maea's enthusiasm. "Good luck. I...don't know who can help you with that these days." Tone apologetic, he shrugged awkwardly.

As she spoke about why he shouldn't expect people to be there for him, he felt his jaw feather with tension. Looking away, he bit back his first angry response, forcing himself to take a calming breath instead. "I was always there for them. Not in the way they wanted or needed, but I at least showed up. I was there for Sunjata after Lusea. I was there for Phoebe after her nephews. I was there for Amalia after her injury. I was there. Without needing to be asked." Even with the pause he'd taken, his voice was still bitter.

Finally, he rubbed his eyes tiredly. "You're right, though. I shouldn't...I'm not reason enough for them to make the trip I guess. And it's because I inevitably lash out and push people away." Smiling in a melancholy way, he pressed his cheek to Astra, who let out a sad bleat. He knew he was twisting Maea's words, and couldn't bring himself to care.

Closing his eyes, he found himself falling silent for a long moment. Finally he opened his eyes and lifted his head. "Alright. You might want to settle in for a long story." He dragged his fingers down his face, as if trying to pull the words out of himself.

"I never really enjoyed things. And...there was no joy in my life before Caido." He found himself staring out at the distant horizon. "I was a farmer, a librarian, a spy, a healer, and a solider in my old world. And I became strong out of necessity."

Shifting his weight, he pulled Astra fulling into his lap, stroking her fur softly, letting it anchor him even as his mind drifted to unhappy memories. "My family was always magical, and powerful. This was a threat to the kings and queens of yore. So, to prove their loyalty, my ancestors bound themselves to the royals of my world. Long, long ago." His voice was quiet and his eyes were haunted. "Through blood and magic, they swore an oath, one that ensured we would never disobey an order from one of royal blood, and that we would never harm a member of the royal family, even by accident."

Finally, he glanced at Maea. "To do so meant instant death."
loren

Coding base by Sky!