Now take it in, but don't look down
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 23 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
MAEA
Astra left, and Maea raised her hands to her face. Scrubbed it with her hands, frustrated with her own inability to help him. To let him see himself the way she saw him. She got to her feet, but gestured for him to remain seated if he wished; she just had to move, do something to release the tension in her.

"See, that's the thing, Loren. I wouldn't be mad if that's what you thought, just sad. Angry at the people who broke you down to this extent. It makes me wish I could hurt them back just the same way... until I remember that... they probably were hurt the same. Because it's how you did it in the family, right? Everything your parents put you through, it was done to them too. A whole messed up cycle, generation after generation." She dragged both hands through her hair, held them behind her neck and looked at him, eyes full of anger and sadness on his behalf.

"But you don't have to fix anything. The only thing wrong with you is that you're sad, and it's not even wrong. You are good, and kind and thoughtful, and I like you just the way you are. Do you think I'm sitting here, talking to you like this because I'm hoping you will become someone else? That you have to somehow change? Well you don't!"
I'm an angel bored like hell
And you're a devil meaning well
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 30 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Love mends even the broken parts
Loren looked up at Maea as she stood. For a moment, unease stirred in his gut, but when she gestured at him and began to pace, he settled down again. When she spoke about his family, he hesitated for just a moment, then nodded. "Yes. They were victims too." Hugging Astra tight, he spoke in a broken whisper. "For a long time I vowed not to let anyone be hurt as I'd been hurt." It came out guiltily.

"I..." Letting his voice trail off, he sighed. "Maybe a little?" Scrubbing his face, he looked away from the pale woman, shame etched on his features. "Because I was never enough, before. There's always been something that someone, or that I, felt was wrong with me."
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
Pale hands landed on slender hips, and the girl frowned softly at him. Sighed, clearly unhappy with his reply.

"I wish there was a way to make you see what I see," Maea told him, repeating her thoughts out loud. "If you did, you wouldn't see anything in need of change. Nothing as drastic as you seem to want, at least. Maybe... just eat a little more." Some of the heat was draining from her voice, and her gaze softened as it rested on her friend. Noticed his pained expression, the shame lingering there.

Taking a few steps closer, she hunched down before him. Held out her hand, palm up, the way she had on a rooftop not so very long ago. "Do you still trust me?" Maea asked.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand

Age: 30 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Running a hand through his hair, Loren dropped it so he could scratch behind Astra's ears. Swallowing, he looked up at Maea. "And what do you see?" His voice came out barely above a whisper, and there was something almost afraid about his tone. He did let out a huff of laughter at her comment about eating more, and nodded in acknowledgement.

As she crouched before him, and held out a hand, he looked at her palm. His eyes were drawn back to her face as she spoke, though he didn't respond right away. "I do." It came out just as quietly as his words before, so he reached up to lay his hand on hers.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
He took her hand for a second time, and Maea's smile brightened, her fingers closing around his. Standing up, she tugged at him, tried to make Loren stand up as well. She held on to his hand, quite stubbornly refusing to let go.

"I see a boy playing at being a man, even though he's not really there yet," she told him. "I see someone who's been jerked around by others his whole life, finally free to call his own shots... and not quite sure how to go about it. I see a kind, caring person who's been hurt a lot, and tries really hard not to hurt anyone else the same way... and it doesn't always work, but he keeps trying."  

Looking at him, she tilted her head, thoughtful. Tried to summarize him in some other way, based on everything she'd seen and been told, everything she knew about Loren Launceleyn.

"I see you," she eventually just said, voice warm with affection. "A stranger who gave me company and help in the Labyrinth for no other reason than because you wanted to, who called me out on being an idiot and who still saved my ass even after I was rude and cranky with you. I like you. I want to be your friend. That's... about it." And if this friend of hers sometimes was an arrogant prick and a self-absorbed asshole... well. They all had their flaws.

"What... do you see, when you look at me?" Maea asked then, a little tentative. Became rather embarrassed right after asking; her fingers loosened their grip on his hand, about to let go.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
Making sure Astra was safely removed from his lap and placed on the ground, Loren let Maea pull him to his feet. As she spoke, he felt his eyes welling with tears. Laughing a little stupidly at her comment about the Labyrinth, he wiped his cheeks with his free hand.

”Of course I saved you.” There’d been no doubt in his mind back then and there was none in his voice now. Squeezing her hand, he smiled, though he was still crying. ”I...that’s what I like to think of myself, too. On my better days.” He bit his lip, more than a bit embarrassed to have admitted that.

When she asked what he thought of her, he took a deep breath, then studied her features. ”I see a woman who wants to choose her own path. And if there’s none in front of her, she’ll forge her own.” He paused, expression thoughtful.

”I see someone who isn’t afraid to stand up for what she believes in, or tell others when they’re wrong, or fight for what, or who, she wants. Who never lets the many obstacles life seems determined to put in her way slow her down. Who is kind and caring, but has little tolerance for stupidity. Who might get a little envious, and might be a little prideful, and who has a bit of a temper, but always tries to make up for it as best she can. Who never lets her fear stop her.”

Smiling outright now, he reached out to take her other hand. ”I see my friend.”
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Oh, he was far more eloquent than she was. Maea supposed that was another thing about Loren; he was good at everything he did, talented to the point of annoyance. His competence had made her feel less than useful at first, then became a spur to do better, and was quickly growing into something of a pillar to lean back on. If something needed doing, she knew she could call on him, and he would help.

The girl blushed fiercely under the praise, squirming a little at the pinpoint remarks that hit home a bit too precisely. "Mmmh, you're right, it's hard to hear things like these," she admitted in a choked mumble, squeezing his hand tight and quite unable to fix her gaze on anything. Unsure what to say, to do, except smile like a foolish idiot when he called her his friend.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
Smiling a bit, Loren nodded at Maea's comment. "That it is." Squeezing her hand, he rubbed the back of his head a bit sheepishly. "But...I don't know about you. But I think it's important for me to hear it." He shrugged, more than a bit embarrassed to need such validation.

Letting out a huff of laughter, he released her hand. Kneeling down, he scratched behind Astra's ears. She let out a contented bleat. Glancing up at the Loreseeker, the healer bit his lip. "So." Looking down at the papers strewn about, he grinned weakly. "How about them maps?" His voice came out tentatively, since he had no idea if she still wanted to continue with the task that had supposedly brought them out here.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
She squeezed his hand back, reached up to touch his cheek with gentle fingers. A little shy, but happy to offer what small signs of affection she could, if that's what he needed. "I think we all do," she admitted, her smile equally weak. It was difficult to accept the compliments... but they felt good too. To be seen like that... know that someone had looked at her and understood.  

Clearing her throat at the mention of the maps, the girl stepped away a little, and nodded. "Yeah, we should probably continue," she agreed. Her hand raking through the white hair, pushing it back from the face; it was becoming tangled and messy from her restless fingers, tumbled like silk in the wind.

Maea looked up, out over the vast expanse of land, a look of longing crossing over her face. "I wish... I could fly too," she sighed. "Is it as wonderful as it looks?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
As Maea touched his cheek, Loren let out a huff of nervous laughter. Reaching up, he captured her fingers with his own, smiling almost shyly. For a moment, he just stood there, before gently lowering her hand. More than glad to lose himself in busywork, he crouched down to shuffle his papers back together.

As she ran her fingers through her hair, he rummaged through his pack. Pulling out a brush, he held it out for her. "I always carry a spare, in case Astra's fur gets extra tangled." The luxere in question let out an aggrieved bleat, and he gave her a fond smile.

As the Loreseeker asked what it was like to fly, the healer stilled for a moment, brow furrowed. "It's wonderful." Finally, he sighed, and settled into a cross legged position. "Do you trust me?" He raised his eyebrows as he waited for her answer.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Turning as he spoke, she looked at the brush he held out to her. Turned her gaze to Astra, raising a brow, then back at Loren. Her eyes glittered with amusement. "Are you suggesting I look unkempt?" she asked, laughter in her voice even as she reached out to accept the helpful gesture. "Thank you Loren, that's very sweet of you. I hope you don't mind sharing, Astra," she added, turning to the Luxere with a fond little smile.

Maea began to comb through her hair, turning back to gaze out over the horizon at Loren's answer. It only made her long for her wings to work even more. But then he asked her a question, the same she'd offered him a few times, and this time the girl turned to face him fully, hands still busy with the hair.

"Yes," she said simply, her answer immediate and without hesitation. A flaw of hers, perhaps, that she rarely doubted people. Then she tilted her head, curiosity kindling in her pale, near colorless eyes. "Why do you ask?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
Grinning a bit bashfully, Loren scratched the back of his head. "No of course not. just that this...humidity must be tough with long hair like yours." His voice came out as polite and polished as it ever had when he was acting like the duke he was supposed to be. "You're welcome." Astra bleated, more than happy to share with the Loreseeker.

Taking a deep breath, the healer let it out. "Because I might be able to help you fly. For a little bit." Placing his hands on his knees, he fell into a meditative state with the ease of long practice. "Just climb on quickly. I can only do this for a few minutes."

With that, he summoned a dragon. Assuming Maea did as he suggested, he'd ordered it to begin flying up as high as it could in the short amount of time they had.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
She just laughed with him, wouldn't have minded if he teased back, but hearing his laugh was just as good. But when he kept talking, said he could help her fly, Maea's eyes widened. She quickly set down the brush, not sure what to expect but quite eager to try whatever he had in mind. Because, gods, yes, she wanted to!

Then, of all things, he summoned a dragon, and told her to climb onto it.

Maea gaped at him, incredulous... "You're insane!" but the urging to hurry made her push doubt and fear away and with the kind of determination she might show on the training field, the girl gathered up her skirts and hurried over to the dragon. Set her foot on its elbow, found a spike to grab on to, and a smooth spot just before the wings, where neck and shoulders met. The scaly body was warm and muscular under her, the movements erratic and strange... and she held on for dear life when it suddenly took off, rising high and fast into the air.

She screamed. Long and hard, and then laughed at the swooping, dropping sensation in her stomach. The wind whipped hard around her, the ground falling away beneath her at alarming speed, Loren and Astra turning into ant-sized pinpricks as she looked down.

Which was a mistake, she had to quickly snap her gaze back up, vertigo making her stomach churn in a whole different way. Eyes on the horizon, Valair.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
Too deep in his magic to respond properly, Loren just shook his head at Maea's words. As she climbed on board, he had the dragon take off. Having it fly higher and higher until it was in the sky, it moved in lazy arcs at his command. Careful to keep part of his mind on his magical reserves, he lifted his gaze to watch it.

Unfortunately, he'd been telling the truth about only having a few minutes in him. Not wanting to even come close to risking running out of power, soon enough he had the dragon begin to descend. Once it landed, he'd dismiss it as soon as she dismounted.
loren

Coding base by Sky!