regrowth (open)
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415

loren
As Jigano listed the reasons that Loren had given the bard to distrust the healer lately, he nodded. However, he felt a burst of frigid anger course through his mind and their link at the mention of Remi. Astra let out a distressed bleat and lifted her head from where she'd been playing with Isuma.

The Launceleyn, however, had already pressed his lips together and looked away from the bard. "Fine. I'm destined to succumb to Zariah's masterful mind games like I succumbed to my grief." The sarcasm in his voice was scathing, but underneath that was pain and hurt that his friend had so little faith in him.

Shrugging, Loren reached out to grind the herbs by hand, needing the work through his exasperation. "Nothing, really. We haven't even met. I just assumed I would've heard if he had some special insight into the LongNight monsters and souls, given how many conversations I've had about them." Still not meeting the white-haired man's eyes, the healer's jaw feathered with tension.
Never judge a book by its cover.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Jigano felt the anger, but more he heard it in Loren's voice and saw it in his expression. "You're doing it again," he said softly. "Looking for reasons to be angry, to lash out and push people away." He exhaled slowly, keeping his own temper carefully in check as he watched his friend. "And you didn't answer my question, about what Zariah can teach you that you don't already know - maybe even better than she does." He tilted his head to the side, eyes narrowing in curiosity. "What magics has she displayed so far, anyways?"

He went back to filling the jars he had made with seeds, then began crafting others to hold whatever pastes, pills, or powders Loren would want to fill them with later. "He's a Natural, so he has more experience with them than we do," the bard said with a slight sigh of regret. It wasn't the sort of thing one wished anyone had experience with. "But the monsters... they play some nasty mind games, even on people who should know better. They go right for the heart, and there are just enough people who do run around during LongNight to make you wonder if the voice on the other side of the door really does belong to someone in need of help." Like Caiside...
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

loren
Jigano's words didn't exactly help with Loren's anger. "Or maybe you said something that made me angry." Spreading his hands, he pressed his lips together and gave the bard an exasperated look. "Alright fine, I admit my recent behavior hasn't exactly inspired confidence. But I've always tried to do the right thing in the end, haven't I?" The healer resumed his jerky grinding motion.

"Nothing so far. But Halo has a long tradition of magic, so I'm assuming she's got her hands on something or other." Sighing, he bit his lip. "I'm not going to sell my soul or my loyalty for it, whatever it is." Glancing up at the white-haired man, the Launceleyn shrugged. "Lightning magic, but I already knew she had that." He looked back down at his work.

Listening to Jigano's explanation, Loren sent a pulse of sympathy towards the bard. "I can't help you. You're just going to have to talk to him. And if you need a place to stay during LongNight, you're both welcome in Halo."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Loren had asked for the truth, but as Jigano regarded him levelly he wondered if that was what the Launceleyn had really wanted after all. "You have," he agreed gravely. "And I'm sorry for not trusting you further. You're right. If you say you can handle your cousin, I'll put my faith in that." In the end, what choice did he have?

Jigano found it curious that after insisting that he wasn't under Zariah's sway, Loren was so quick to give her the benefit of the doubt in having greater knowledge without having any real proof of it. Within two breaths his words seemed to contradict each other, displaying trust and loyalty to his cousin and her supposed-expertise while denying that he did so. The bard only looked down at his hands and the jar he was making, however, back to walking on eggshells around the summoner once more. "No sense that she has mastered water magic? Or fire?" Other destructive elements, both seemingly well-suited to Halo's environment, given how long she'd been there.

He shook his head with a wry smile at the sympathy and Loren's inability to help. "Thank you for the offer. I know no one can help me with this. Thank you for listening, though. A sympathetic ear goes a long way some days." And he was grateful that Loren was able to give him that again.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Sighing, Loren just shook his head at Jigano's words. The healer pinched his nose. "Look." Lowering his hand, he gave the bard a sad look. "I spent my entire life dealing with the Launceleyns. You spent what, a year with Zariah? Less than that under her rule?" The Launceleyn narrowed his eyes. "Who do you think has more expertise navigating the insanity that is my family?" The question came out with a slightly dangerous edge.

"I promised you that I would do everything necessary to prevent my cousin from returning to her evil reign. I intend to keep that promise." Voice firm, he placed his palms on the table. "I need you to trust me to do that." He stared directly at the white-haired man, gaze unwavering.

Shrugging, Loren shook his head at Jigano's questions about Zariah. "No. I'll let you know if I see her display anything else, but as I said, I've seen her twice since moving her." Reaching for a jar, he checked the label before scraping the paste he'd made into it. "You're welcome. Any time." Though the words were quiet, he genuinely meant them.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Considering how often Loren seemed to succumb to that insanity, Jigano wasn't entirely sure that was the best recommendation the summoner could have given. Still, he met Loren's eyes squarely, a faint frown finally creasing his own features. "I said that I would put my faith in your ability to do just that. What more do you want me to say?" For a man who had so recently been trying to destroy himself through drink and negligence, Loren demanded much of those who tried to remain his friends.

His eyes narrowed at Loren's reiteration of his previous promise, and Jigano tilted his head thoughtfully. Alright. From the outside it looks as though you're supporting her position and authority by lending your presence to her school as one of her pupils. What aren't I seeing, then? What steps are you taking to keep her authority in check? He was genuinely curious, tone level and almost pleading for Loren to help him see what the summoner was doing to keep his promise, when it seemed as though Zariah was slowly and steadily gaining more power in Halo beneath Neron's absent nose.

The bard nodded slowly at the lack of information that Loren had on his cousin, unsettled further by that news. Talk of Rory distracted him from that lone of questioning, though and he nodded in gratitude at Loren's willingness to listen as they fell to working in silence for a little while.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
As Jigano responded to to Loren's questions, he deflated slightly. Indeed, he found himself unable to meet the bard's eyes. "Nothing. That's...I can do this, Jigano." The healer rubbed his eyes. "Besides, I know you all are worried about her, but Zariah is not as large a threat as she once was. Not to the people of the Hollowed Ground, or anywhere outside Halo. I truly believe that." Finally he lifted his eyes to meet the white-haired man's gaze again.

And if I wasn't one of her students, do you think she would lack authority here? Loren gripped the pestle, hand white-knuckled. I am building my own authority here in Halo and my own relationship with Neron. If Zariah tries to influence him in a way that I disagree with, I will have the clout to oppose her.

He narrowed his eyes. And I am making sure her students are not harmed unduly by her methods, and ingratiating myself with them as well. So I will hear from them if there are any hints of rebellion or conquest led by the Arcane Academy. Raising his eyebrows, he regarded Jigano cooly. If you have more suggestions, I would welcome hearing them.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Alright," the bard agreed quietly, trying not to let his concern for his friend show again. "If you believe that, then so will I. That doesn't mean there aren't people here who I worry about, though." He sighed reaching up to rub at the back of his neck with one hand while balancing a jar half-filled with seeds in the other. "Not because I don't trust in their abilities," he was quick to add, if gently. "But because that's what friends do. They care about each other, and sometimes that means worrying about dangerous situations, even if their friend is perfectly able to take care of themselves." The problem, of course, was that Jigano had yet to meet anyone 'perfectly' capable of protecting themselves from the world. Including himself.

I think she'd have less, yes. You lend her power by implying trust in her knowledge and accepting her teaching methods. And by accepting them, you give them - and her - your tacit approval, Jigano stated calmly as he went back to making seeds from the plants present in the room. But if you think you need her authority to bolster your own with your brother, if she already has more of a hold on him than you, then I don't know what advice to offer. If Neron trusted Zariah more than Loren, Jigano wasn't sure how attending her Academy was going to shift that balance.

He nodded thoughtfully at Loren's intent to protect her students, sending a pulse of understanding and agreement at that reasoning through the bond. He already knew of some spies within her ranks thanks to a conversation with Sunjata and Maea, but he wasn't sure how much Loren knew of that, and it wasn't his place to reveal Sunjata's secrets. I am reassured that your Healing magic will be on hand to protect them if a lesson should go awry. Did Loren need to be a part of the Academy to do that? The summoner apparently thought so, and Jigano had already realized that his friend was just as stubborn as Maea in pursuing this path. Though perhaps you could ask Neron to let you be on hand as the Grand Healer at these dangerous lessons, without officially partaking in her Academy? You make your presence known without providing her an obvious source of support, especially if you make it seem like you're there because you don't trust her to have things handled. Not only do you subtly erode trust and loyalty in her that way, but you become a presence the students may feel more comfortable speaking to about any problems that may arise with her, without your family name being a source of concern that you'll turn around and tattle on them to your cousin? For those that don't know you and story so well yet, and simply see you as yet another Outlander bearing the same last name as their headmistress, he suggested cautiously.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Loren sighed, and rubbed his temples. "You can worry all you like, but you'll need to start trusting someone to take care of themselves eventually, else you're going to be very lonely because you've driven everyone you care about away." Obviously he understood the hypocrisy of that, and he gave Jigano a chagrined and apologetic smile. "Take it from someone who knows." The healer's voice came out quietly, and he couldn't help the shame that bubbled up within him.

Jigano, I understand where you're coming from, but you don't understand how things work in Halo. He spread his arms. The people here are fiercely independent, even more so than the residents of the Hollowed Ground. My attendance in Zariah's Academy will do absolutely nothing to bolster their opinion of her, I can assure you of that. Then he shrugged. I do think making a show of good faith with Zariah will ingratiate me with my brother and the rest of the council, yes. His thoughts were certain on that much.

However, he had to laugh at the bard's next suggestion. People know and like me better than Zariah. And Neron wouldn't interfere in that way, nor would Zariah allow me to do so. Don't worry, though, I already told all her students my door is always open if they get injured during a class. The Launceleyn's mind was quite amused.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The bard started to arch a brow, but his exasperation evaporated with Loren's chagrin and the understanding of someone who had pushed his share of people away. With a sigh Jigano nodded reluctantly, looking down at the jar in his hands without really seeing it. "I know... but it's easier said than done when friends keep dying," he admitted quietly.

Loren was trying to share his experiences with Halo, and though they'd had access to the frozen region for the same amount of time, it was true that the summoner had spent more time there recently, getting to know the inhabitants and their ways. Jigano's shoulders slumped and he nodded reluctantly. Alright, he agreed, surrendering to Loren's greater experience with the Halovians.

Jigano suspected most people liked Ursurs better than they liked Zariah, but maybe that was just him. Given Loren's recent vicious tongue and attempts to drink, brawl, and/or fuck his problems away the bard was a little surprised that the other students had felt comfortable approaching him. In the end, though, all that mattered was that anyone injured by Zariah's games could be healed here, under Loren's care. "How many more jars do you think you'll need?" He asked instead, taking those he had filled with seeds to the shelves where it looked like they might go. "As long as you've got me here today to make them," he added with a wry smile, considering the usefulness of his new magic and appreciating the convenience of it.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Loren nodded slowly, his eyes growing haunted for just a moment. "I know. But...our worrying about them and fretting so much we drive them away doesn't actually keep them safe." Still, he sent a pulse of understanding to Jigano.

As the bard agreed to let the healer handle Zariah in the way he thought was best, he couldn't help but breath a sigh of relief. Giving the white-haired man a slightly embarrassed and slightly guilty smile at the sound, the Launceleyn glanced at the medicines they'd already put together. "A few more should do the trick, if you don't mind." He picked up the mortar and pestle once more, and scraped the latest batch into an empty jar.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Considering how his doing just that had nearly ruined his friendship with Amalia and strained his relationship with Maea, he could only nod. Then again, if he had worried a little harder and kept better track of Caiside and Adam, would the men still be alive? It was the what-ifs that got under his skin and made him grasp after any hope at all that his strength and skills could be used for more than failing to protect the people he loved.

"I'm glad to be able to help with something concrete," he admitted, feeling the beginnings of the burn of overusing his magic too steadily for too long. It wasn't enough to stop him entirely, though, and he focused once again on adding another container to Loren's stock, so the summoner would have ample storage for medicines and ingredients in the coming months. "It seems like we can never get far enough ahead in preparing for things like LongNight. Which, speaking of..." he paused, finishing the final touch on the jar and setting it aside. "Until we're sure the monsters can't pass through the portals, what do you think about arranging for the portal to be closed down on this side for LongNight? Putting up a containment structure around it, or blocking the exit to prevent it from being used for the week?"
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
”I know what you mean.” Loren’s tone was rueful, as was the smile he gave Jigano. However, the healer took the jars easily enough, filling them as fast as he could make the medicines.

His brow furrowed at the bard's words. "I don't think they can pass through the portals. The ones to the Mathair and Halo were open, just blocked off to the people of the Hollowed Ground, and no one in Halo reported seeing anything. Plus none of the Halo natives have mentioned LongNight." Shooting the other man a glance, the Launceleyn sighed. "In fact, I was going to suggest to Rexanna that anyone who wished to shelter in the Citadel over LongNight would be welcome."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano nodded agreement at the supposition, but he tilted his head at Loren's Natural contacts not mentioning LongNight. "Ingrid told me about it in Halo, and Jiao said what it was like in the Greatwood. A week of darkness, just like the Hollowed Grounds. No light, not much movement. People mostly hunker down and work on winter projects or spend time with family for it. It's a time of rest, without monsters." He hesitated, then shrugged slightly. "We now know that the monsters are drawn to Ascended and their upgrades in particular. It might be that the monsters stayed in the Grounds because that's where the Ascended were. It's possible that if the Ascended disperse for LongNight, the monsters will follow them. Or perhaps they won't, and you're right about the portals stopping them from passing." The bard sighed.

"I'm probably just being paranoid again. Still, having a guard on this side to stop Halovians from trying to go to the Grounds during LongNight might not be a bad idea. And the offer of sanctuary would be much appreciated." He smiled gratefully at his friend. "We've been talking about it in the council, thinking about sending Neron a letter asking for that. I know you don't see him much, but if you do, could you bring it up with him? We'd send any refugees with a week's worth of food, of course. They'd just need shelter and warmth for the week."