[SE]Morning comes quick bringing tragic goodbyes
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 23 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
Maea
And time it waits for no one
It heals them when you die
Amalia scooted over, making room for her on the bench, and Maea considered the quiet offer. Thought to decline it, offer to go somewhere else if they were going to talk like this, or at least... get a drink? But that wasn't something they'd done together as far as she could recall, and now was probably not the best time. So she simply offered a smile and shrug at Amalia's dubious expression, and took the offered seat. Reaching for the bag, she pulled out some of the materials she had acquired, just to keep herself busy.

There were thin strips of shaved ursur tusk, sheets of parchment from luxere hides and a glue that the vendor had sworn was cold-resistant, able to function without cracking in the coldest of temperatures. Most of the things on offer in Halo were animal based; wood was scarce and spent mostly on building and maintaining the fires, and few plants grew in the harsh climate. Meat was a staple food, and no parts of the animals ever went to waste, it seemed.

"You sound like your mother," Maea commented, with a ghost of a smile creeping across her face. She began to measure out length of the bone strips, to cut off and glue together to build a frame for the first lantern. "You're right though. I've made mistakes too, lately... No one has died, but that was not thanks to me. I hurt Sunjata when I lost control of my magic... and as soon as I learned to handle it, I grew overconfident. Nearly got us both eaten by sharks. Got bitten quite badly because of it." She tapped her right thigh with a finger, indicating where a fresh, red scar was located.

"Still. Not trying to learn how to use the power you have is setting yourself up for trouble, I found. If I had tried harder to learn about myself and my abilities growing up... my family might not be dead." Reaching for a jug of the supposedly wonderful glue, Maea perched it on a thigh, trying to juggle all the pieces at once with her hands. She could use magic to help herself... but there were some things that felt better doing by hand.

"I asked Ludo once, if there was a way for the Abandoned to attone, for what happened in the past. The answer I got was to 'use my magic modestly, under the eyes of the Old Gods.' So... I suppose that is what I want to do."

Nibbling her lower lip, she glanced sideways at Amalia, to see how she took this line of thinking. Ludo had said to use her magic... not suppress it, or let it wither and die. Maea had taken that to mean understand it, embrace it, and do the best she could not to depend on it for everything.
And soon you are forgotten
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦

Messages In This Thread
RE: [SE]Morning comes quick bringing tragic goodbyes - by Maea - 03-05-2020, 04:59 PM